1. Ricaurte GA, Bryan G, Strauss L, Seiden LS, Schuster CR. Hallucinogenic amphetamine selectively destroys brain serotonin nerve terminals. Science 1985; 229:986-988.
3. Henry JA, Hill IR. Fatal interaction between ritonavir and MDMA. Lancet 1998; 352:1751–1752.
4. Harrington RD, Woodward JA, Hooton TM, Horn JR. Life-threatening interactions between HIV-1 protease inhibitors and the illicit drugs MDMA and gamma-hydroxybutyrate. Arch Intern Med 1999; 159:2221–2224.
5. Kuypers KP, Samyn N, Ramaekers JG. MDMA and alcohol effects, combined and alone, on objective and subjective measures of actual driving performance and psychomotor function. Psychopharmacology 2006; 187:467–475.
6. Khakoo SI
, Coles CJ
, Armstrong JS
, Barry RE
. Hepatotoxicity and accelerated fibrosis following 3,4-methylenedioxymetamphetamine ("ecstasy") usage. J Clin Gastroenterol
7. Cerretani D, Bello S, Cantatore S, Fiaschi AI, Montefrancesco G, Neri M, Pomara C. Acute administration of 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA) induces oxidative stress, lipoperoxidation and TNFα-mediated apoptosis in rat liver. Pharmacol Res 2011; 64:517-527.
8. Turillazzi E, Riezzo I, Neri M, Bello S, Fineschi V. MDMA toxicity and pathological consequences: a review about experimental data and autopsy findings. Curr Pharm Biotechnol 2010; 11:500-509.
9. Carvalho M, Pontes H, Remião F, Bastos ML, Carvalho F. Mechanisms underlying the hepatotoxic effects of ecstasy. Curr Pharm Biotechnol 2010; 11:476-495.
10. Carvalho M, Remião F, Milhazes N, Borges F, Fernandes E, Carvalho F, et al. The toxicity of N-methyl-alpha-methyldopamine to freshly isolated rat hepatocytes is prevented by ascorbic acid and N-acetylcysteine. Toxicology 2004; 200:193–203.
11. Bolton JL, Trush MA, Penning TM, Dryhurst G, Monks TJ. Role of quinones in toxicology. Chem Res Toxicol 2000; 13:135–160.
12. Montiel-Duarte C, Ansorena E, Lopez-Zabalza MJ, Cenarruzabeitia E, Iraburu MJ,Cenarruzabeitia E,et -al. Role of reactive oxygen species, glutathione and NF-kappaB in apoptosis induced by 3,4-methylenedioxy methamphetamine ("Ecstasy") on hepatic stellate cells. Biochem Pharmacol 2004; 67:1025–1033.
1. Bindoli A, Rigobello MP, Deeble DJ. Biochemical and toxicological properties of the oxidation products of catecholamines. Free Radic Biol Med 1992; 13:391–405.
14. Milhazes N, Cunha-Oliveira T, Martins P, Garrido J, Oliveira C, Rego AC, Borges F. Synthesis and cytotoxic profile of 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine ("ecstasy") and its metabolites on undifferentiated PC12 cells: A putative structure-toxicity relationship. Chem Res Toxicol 2006; 19:1294–1304.
15. Fisher AA, Labenski MT, Malladi S, Gokhale V, Bowen ME, Milleron RS, et al. Quinone electrophiles selectively adduct "electrophile binding motifs" within cytochrome c. Biochemistry 2007; 46:11090–11100.
16. Moon KH, Hood BL, Kim BJ, Hardwick JP, Conrads TP, Veenstra TD, et al. Inactivation of oxidized and S-nitrosylated mitochondrial proteins in alcoholic fatty liver of rats. Hepatology 2006; 44:1218–1230.
17. Moon KH, Abdelmegeed MA, Song BJ. Inactivation of cytosolic aldehyde dehydrogenase via S-nitro sylation in ethanol-exposed rat liver. FEBS Lett 2007; 581:3967–3972.
18. Seiffge D. Pentoxifylline: its influence on interaction of blood cells with the vessel wall. Atherosclerosis 1997; 131: 27–28.
19. Windmeier C, Gressner AM. Pharmacological aspects of pentoxifylline with emphasis on its inhibitory actions on hepatic fibrogenesis. Gen Pharmacol 1997; 29:181–196.
20. McClain CJ, Song Z, Barve SS, Hill DB, Deaciuc I. Recent advances in alcoholic liver disease. IV. Dysregulated cytokine metabolism in alcoholic liver disease. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 2004; 287:G497-502.
21. Akriviadis E, Botla R, Briggs W, Han S, Reynolds T, Shakil O. Pentoxifylline improves short-term survival in severe acute alcoholic hepatitis: a double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Gastroenterology 2000; 119:1637–1648.
22. Louvet A, Diaz E, Dharancy S, Coevoet H, Texier F, Thevenot T, et al. Early switch to pentoxifylline in patients with severe alcoholic hepatitis is inefficient in non-responders to corticosteroids. J Hepatol 2008; 48:465–470.
25. Moragas AH, Allende M. Sans: Characteristics of perisinusoidal collagenization in liver cirrhosis: Computer-assisted quantitative analysis. Anal Quant Cytol Histol 1998; 20:169–177.
26. Upreti VV
, Moon KH
, Yu LR
, Lee IJ
, Eddington ND
, Ye X
, Veenstra TD
, Song BJ
. Increased oxidative-modifications of cytosolic proteins in 3, 4 methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA, ecstasy)-exposed rat liver. Proteomics
27. Elsharkawy AM, Oakley F, Mann DA. The role and regulation of hepatic stellate cell apoptosis in reversal of liver fibrosis. Apoptosis 2005 ;10:927-939.
28. Brichese L, Cazettes G, Valette A. JNK is associated with Bcl-2 and PP1 in mitochondria: paclitaxel induces its activation and its association with the phosphorylated form of Bcl-2. Cell Cycle 2004; 3:1312–1319.
29. De Chiara G, Marcocci ME, Torcia M, Lucibello M, Rosini P
, Bonini P
, et al
. Bcl-2 Phosphorylation by p38 MAPK:identification of target sites and biologic consequences. J Biol Chem 2006; 281:21353–21361.
31. Assimakopoulos SF, Thomopoulos KC, Labropoulou-Karatza C. Pentoxifylline، a first line treatment option for severe alcoholic hepatitis and hepatorenal syndrome? World J Gastroenterol 2009; 15: 3194-3195.
32. De BK, Gangopadhyay S, Dutta D, Baksi SD, Pani A, Ghosh P. Pentoxifylline versus prednisolone for severe alcoholic hepatitis: a randomized controlled trial. World J Gastroenterol 2009; 15: 1613-1619.
39. McHutchison JG, Runyon BA, Draguesku JO, Cominelli F. Person JL, Castracane J. Pentoxifylline may prevent renal impairment (hepatorenal syndrome) in severe acute alcoholic hepatitis. Hepatology 1991; 14:96A