1. Abejón A, Garea A, Irabien A. Arsenic removal from drinking water by reverse osmosis: Minimization of costs and energy consumption. Sep Purif Technol 2015; 144:46-53.
2. Kumar S, Yedjou CG, Tchounwou PB. Arsenic trioxide induces oxidative stress, DNA damage, and mitochondrial pathway of apoptosis in human leukemia (HL-60) cells. JExp Clin Cancer Res 2014; 33:42-53.
3. Miltonprabu S, Sumedha N. Arsenic-induced hepatic mitochondrial toxicity in rats and its amelioration by diallyl trisulfide. Toxicol Mech Methods 2014; 24:124-135.
4. Dutta M, Ghosh D, Ghosh AK, Bose G, Chattopadhyay A, Rudra S, et al. High fat diet aggravates arsenic induced oxidative stress in rat heart and liver. Food Chem Toxicol 2014; 66:262-277.
5. Zheng CY, Lam SK, Li YY, Ho JC-M. Arsenic trioxide-induced cytotoxicity in small cell lung cancer via altered redox homeostasis and mitochondrial integrity. Int J Oncol 2015; 46:1067-1078.
6. Kahya MC, Nazıroğlu M, Övey İS. Modulation of diabetes-induced oxidative stress, apoptosis, and Ca2+ entry through TRPM2 and TRPV1 channels in dorsal root ganglion and hippocampus of diabetic rats by melatonin and selenium. Mol Neurobiol 2017; 54:2345-2360.
7. Gerber PA, Rutter GA. The role of oxidative stress and hypoxia in pancreatic beta-cell dysfunction in diabetes mellitus. Antioxid Redox Signal 2017; 26:501-518.
8. Canfora EE, Jocken JW, Blaak EE. Short-chain fatty acids in control of body weight and insulin sensitivity. Nat Rev Endocrinol 2015; 11:577-591.
9. Qaisrani S, Van Krimpen M, Kwakkel R, Verstegen M, Hendriks W. Diet structure, butyric acid, and fermentable carbohydrates influence growth performance, gut morphology, and cecal fermentation characteristics in broilers. Poult Sci 2015; 94:2152-2164.
10. Lu H, Lu L, Xu ZC, Lu YJ, Zhao B, Zhuang L, et al. Tauroursodeoxycholic acid and 4-phenyl butyric acid alleviate endoplasmic reticulum stress and improve prognosis of donation after cardiac death liver transplantation in rats. Hepatob Pancreatic Dis 2014; 13:586-593.
11. Cueno ME, Imai K, Tamura M, Ochiai K. Butyric acid-induced rat jugular blood cytosolic oxidative stress is associated with SIRT1 decrease. Cell Stress Chaperones 2014; 19:295-298.
12. Cueno ME, Kamio N, Seki K, Kurita-Ochiai T, Ochiai K. High butyric acid amounts induce oxidative stress, alter calcium homeostasis, and cause neurite retraction in nerve growth factor-treated PC12 cells. Cell Stress Chaperones 2015; 20:709-713.
13. Masini M, Anello M, Bugliani M, Marselli L, Filipponi F, Boggi U, et al. Prevention by metformin of alterations induced by chronic exposure to high glucose in human islet beta cells is associated with preserved ATP/ADP ratio. Diabetes Res Clin Pract 2014; 104:163-170.
14. Jiang Y, Huang W, Wang J, Xu Z, He J, Lin X, et al. Metformin plays a dual role in MIN6 pancreatic β cell function through AMPK-dependent autophagy. Int J Biol Sci 2014; 10:268-277.
15. Mousavi SM, Niazmand S, Hosseini M, Hassanzadeh Z, Sadeghnia HR, Vafaee F, et al. Beneficial effects of Teucrium polium and metformin on diabetes-induced memory impairments and brain tissue oxidative damage in rats. Int J Alzheimers Dis 2015; 2015:1-8.
16. Paul DS, Walton FS, Saunders RJ, Stýblo M. Characterization of the impaired glucose homeostasis produced in C57BL/6 mice by chronic exposure to arsenic and high-fat diet. Environ Health Perspect 2011; 119:1104-1109.
17. Mashayekhi V, Eskandari MR, Kobarfard F, Khajeamiri A, Hosseini MJ. Induction of mitochondrial permeability transition (MPT) pore opening and ROS formation as a mechanism for methamphetamine-induced mitochondrial toxicity. Naunyn Schmiedebergs Arch Pharmacol 2014; 387:47-58.
18. Ahangarpour A, Oroojan AA, Rezaei M, Khodayar MJ, Alboghobeish S, Zeinvand M. Effects of butyric acid and arsenic on isolated liver mitochondria and pancreatic islets of male mouse. Gastroenterol Hepatol Bed Bench 2017; 10:44-53.
19. Hickmann FH, Cecatto C, Kleemann D, Monteiro WO, Castilho RF, Amaral AU, et al. Uncoupling, metabolic inhibition and induction of mitochondrial permeability transition in rat liver mitochondria caused by the major long-chain hydroxyl monocarboxylic fatty acids accumulating in LCHAD deficiency. BBA Biomemb 2015; 1847:620-628.
20. Hassani S, Yaghoubi H, Khosrokhavar R, Jafarian I, Mashayekhi V, Hosseini MJ, et al. Mechanistic view for toxic effects of arsenic on isolated rat kidney and brain mitochondria. Biologia 2015; 70:683-689.
21. Mehrabadi AR, Jamshidzadeh A, Rashedinia M, Niknahad H. Study of the effects of ATP suppliers and thiol reductants on toxicity of pioglitazone in isolated rat liver mitochondria. Iran J Pharm Res 2015; 14:825-832.
22. Keshtzar E, Khodayar M, Javadipour M, Ghaffari M, Bolduc D, Rezaei M. Ellagic acid protects against arsenic toxicity in isolated rat mitochondria possibly through the maintaining of complex II. Hum Exp Toxicol 2016; 35:1060-1072.
23. Koliaki C, Szendroedi J, Kaul K, Jelenik T, Nowotny P, Jankowiak F, et al. Adaptation of hepatic mitochondrial function in humans with non-alcoholic fatty liver is lost in steatohepatitis. Cell Metab 2015; 21:739-746.
24. Xin X, Tian Q, Yin G, Chen X, Zhang J, Ng S, et al. Reduced mitochondrial and ascorbate–glutathione activity after artificial ageing in soybean seed. J Plant Physiol 2014; 171:140-147.
25. Amaral AG, Rafacho A, de Oliveira CAM, Batista TM, Ribeiro RA, Latorraca MQ, et al. Leucine supplementation augments insulin secretion in pancreatic islets of malnourished mice. Pancreas 2010; 39:847-855.
26. O’Dowd JF. The isolation and purification of rodent pancreatic islets of Langerhans. Type 2 Diabetes: Methods & Protocols 2009; 560:37-42.
27. Machado de Oliveira CA, Ferreira Paiva M, Alencar Soares Mota C, Ribeiro C, Curiacos de Almeida Leme JA, Luciano E, et al. Exercise at anaerobic threshold intensity and insulin secretion by isolated pancreatic islets of rats. Islets 2010; 2:240-246.
28. Ahangarpour A, Heidari H, Fatemeh RAA, Pakmehr M, Shahbazian H, Ahmadi I, et al. Effect of Boswellia serrata supplementation on blood lipid, hepatic enzymes and fructosamine levels in type2 diabetic patients. J Diabetes Metab Disord 2014; 13:29-33.
29. Itoh Y, Kawamata Y, Harada M, Kobayashi M, Fujii R, Fukusumi S, et al. Free fatty acids regulate insulin secretion from pancreatic β cells through GPR40. Nature 2003; 422:173-176.
30. Yen CC, Ho TJ, Wu CC, Chang CF, Su CC, Chen YW, et al. Inorganic arsenic causes cell apoptosis in mouse cerebrum through an oxidative stress-regulated signaling pathway. Arch Toxicol 2011; 85:565-575.
31. Li S, Tan H-Y, Wang N, Zhang Z-J, Lao L, Wong C-W, et al. The role of oxidative stress and antioxidants in liver diseases. Int J Mol Sci 2015; 16:26087-26124.
32. Prakash C, Kumar V. Chronic Arsenic Exposure-Induced Oxidative Stress is Mediated by Decreased Mitochondrial Biogenesis in Rat Liver. Biol Trace Elem Res 2016; 173:87-95.
33. Halliwell B, Whiteman M. Measuring reactive species and oxidative damage in vivo and in cell culture: how should you do it and what do the results mean? Br J Pharmacol 2004; 142:231-255.
34. Ellinsworth DC. Arsenic, reactive oxygen, and endothelial dysfunction. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 2015; 353:458-464.
35. Zgorzynska E, Wierzbicka-Ferszt A, Dziedzic B, Witusik-Perkowska M, Zwolinska A, Janas A, et al. Docosahexaenoic acid attenuates oxidative stress and protects human gingival fibroblasts against cytotoxicity induced by hydrogen peroxide and butyric acid. Arch Oral Biol 2015; 60:144-153.
36. Feng Y, Ke C, Tang Q, Dong H, Zheng X, Lin W, et al. Metformin promotes autophagy and apoptosis in esophageal squamous cell carcinoma by downregulating Stat3 signaling. Cell Death Dis 2014; 5:1088-1099.
37. Bridges HR, Jones AJ, Pollak MN, Hirst J. Effects of metformin and other biguanides on oxidative phosphorylation in mitochondria. Biochem J 2014; 462:475-587.
38. Rutter GA, Pullen TJ, Hodson DJ, Martinez-Sanchez A. Pancreatic β-cell identity, glucose sensing and the control of insulin secretion. Biochem J 2015;466:203-218.
39. Halban PA, Polonsky KS, Bowden DW, Hawkins MA, Lin gC, Mather KJ, et al. β-cell failure in type 2 diabetes: postulated mechanisms and prospects for prevention and treatment. J Cli Endocrinol Metab 2014; 99:1983-1992.
40. Prentki M, Nolan CJ. Islet β cell failure in type 2 diabetes. J Clin Invest 2006; 116:1802-1812.
41. Huang CF, Yang CY, Chan DC, Wang CC, Huang KH, Wu CC, et al. Arsenic exposure and glucose intolerance/insulin resistance in estrogen-deficient female mice. Environ Health Perspect 2015; 123:1138-1144.
42. Padmaja Divya S, Pratheeshkumar P, Son YO, Vinod Roy R, Andrew Hitron J, Kim D, et al. Arsenic induces insulin resistance in mouse adipocytes and myotubes via oxidative stress-regulated mitochondrial Sirt3-FOXO3a signaling pathway. Toxicol Sci 2015; 146:290-300.
43. Perry RJ, Samuel VT, Petersen KF, Shulman GI. The role of hepatic lipids in hepatic insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes. Nature 2014; 510:84-91.
44. Sandu O, Song K, Cai W, Zheng F, Uribarri J, Vlassara H. Insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes in high-fat–fed mice are linked to high glycotoxin intake. Diabetes 2005; 54:2314-2319.
45. Hashemitabar M, Bahramzadeh S, Saremy S, Nejaddehbashi F. Glucose plus metformin compared with glucose alone on β‑cell function in mouse pancreatic islets. Biomed Rep 2015; 3:721-725.