1. Furuse M, Hirase T, Itoh M, Nagafuchi A, Yonemura S, Tsukita S, et al. Occludin: a novel integral membrane protein localizing at tight junctions. J Cell Biol 1993; 123:1777–1788.
2. Furuse M, Fujita K, Hiiragi T, Fujimoto K, Tsukita S. Claudin-1 and -2: novel integral membrane proteins localizing at tight junctions with no sequence similarity to occludin. J Cell Biol 1998; 141:1539–1550.
3. Ikenouchi J, Furuse M, Furuse K, Sasaki H, Tsukita S, Tsukita S. Tricellulin constitutes a novel barrier at tricellular contacts of epithelial cells. J Cell Biol 2005; 171:939–945.
4. Martìn-Padura I, Lostaglio S, Schneemann M, Williams L, Romano M, Fruscella P, et al. Junctional adhesion molecule, a novel member of the immunoglobulin superfamily that distributes at intercellular junctions and modulates monocyte transmigration. J Cell Biol 1998; 142:117–127.
5. González-Mariscal L, Betanzos A, Nava P, Jaramillo BE. Tight junction proteins. ProgBiophysMolBiol 2003; 81:1–44.
6. Ulluwishewa D, Anderson RC, McNabb WC, Moughan PJ, Wells JM, Roy NC. Regulation of tight junction permeability by intestinal bacteria and dietary components. J Nutr 2011; 141:769-776.
7. Lowe PJ, Miyai K, Steinbach JH, Hardison WG. Hormonal regulation of the hepatocyte tight junction permeability. Am J Physiol 1988; 255:G454–G461.
8. McRoberts JA, Aranda R, Riley N, Kang H. Insulin regulates the paracellular permeability of cultured intestinal epithelial cell monolayers. J Clin Invest 1990; 85:1127–1134.
9. Okumura Rand Takeda K. Roles of intestinal epithelial cells in the maintenance of gut homeostasis. Exp Mol Med 2017; 49:e338.
10. Madara JL and Stafford J. Interferon-g directly affects barrier function of cultured intestinal epithelialmonolayers. J Clin Invest 1989; 83: 724–727.
11. Schmitz H, Fromm M, Bentzel CJ, Scholz P, Detjen K, Mankertz J, et al. Tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-a) regulates the epithelial barrier in the human intestinal cell line HT-29/B6. J Cell Sci 1999; 112:137–146.
12. Quigley EM. Leaky gut-concept or clinical entity? CurrOpinGastroenterol 2016; 32:74-79.
13. Sturgeon Cand Fasano A. Zonulin, a regulator of epithelial and endothelial barrier functions, and its involvement inchronic inflammatory diseases. Tissue Barriers 2016; 4:e1251384.
14. Elderman M, Sovran B, Hugenholtz F, Graversen K, Huijskes M, Houtsma E, et al. The effect of age on the intestinal mucus thickness, microbiota composition and immunity in relation to sex in mice. PLoS One 2017; 12:e0184274.
15. Groschwitz KR and Hogan SP. Intestinal barrier function: molecular regulation and disease pathogenesis. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2009; 124: 3–20; quiz 21–22.
16. Jeong JH, Kim K, Lim D, Kim KH, Kim HS, Lee S, et al. Microvasculature remodeling in the mouse lower gut during inflammaging. Sci Rep 2017; 7:39848.
17. Man AL, Gicheva N, Nicoletti C. The impact of ageing on the intestinal epithelial barrier and immune system. Cell Immunol 2014; 289: 112–118.
18. Qi Y, Goel R, Kim S, Richards EM, Carter CS, Pepine CJ, et al. Intestinal Permeability Biomarker Zonulin is Elevated in Healthy Aging. J Am Med Dir Assoc 2017; 18: 810.e1-810.e4.
19. Odenwald MA, Turner JR. Intestinal permeability defects: is it time to treat? Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2013; 11:1075-1083.
20. Banerjee D, Hassarajani SA, Maity B, Narayan G, Bandyopadhyay SK, Chattopadhyay S. Comparative healing property of Kombucha tea and black tea against indomethacin-induced gastric ulceration in mice: possible mechanism of action. Food Funct 2010; 1:284-293.
21. Vīna I, Semjonovs P, Linde R, Deniņa I. Current evidence on physiological activity and expected health effects of Kombucha fermented beverage. J Med Food 2014; 17: 179-188.
22. Tietze T. Kombucha the Miracle Fungus, Harald Tietze Publ, India, 2000.
23. Pakravan N, Mahmoudi E, Hashemi SA, Kamali J, Hajiaghayi R, Rahimzadeh M, et al. Cosmeceutical effect of ethyl acetate fraction of Kombucha tea by intradermal administration in the skin of aged mice. J Cosmet Dermatol 2018; 17:1216-1224.
24. Jayabalan R, Chen PN, Hsieh YS,Prabhakaran K, Pitchai P, Marimuthu S, et al. Effect of solvent fractions of Kombucha tea on viability and invasiveness of cancer cells—Characterization of dimethyl 2-(2-hydroxy-2-methoxypropylidine) malonate and vitexin. Indian J Biotechnol 2011;10: 75-82.
25. Siegmund B, Fantuzzi G, Rieder F, Gamboni-Robertson F, Lehr HA, Hartmann G, Dinarello CA, et al. Neutralization of interleukin-18 reduces severity in murine colitis and intestinal IFN-gamma and TNF-alpha production. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 2001;281: R1264-1273.
26. Meira LB, Bugni JM, Green SL, Lee CW, Pang B, Borenshtein D, et al. DNA damage induced by chronic inflammation contributes to colon carcinogenesis in mice. J Clin Invest 2008; 118:2516-2525.
27. Kang Z, Wang C, Zepp J, Wu L, Sun K, Zhao J, et al. Act1 mediates IL-17-induced EAE pathogenesis selectively in NG2+ glial cells. Nat Neurosci 2013; 16:1401-1408.
28. Baumgart DC andSandbornWJ. Inflammatory bowel disease: clinical aspects and established and evolving therapies. Lancet 2007; 369:1641–1657.
29. Fanning AS, Jameson BJ, Jesaitis LA, Anderson JM. The tight junction protein ZO-1 establishes a link between the transmembrane protein occluding and the actin cytoskeleton. J Biol Chem 1998; 273: 29745-29753.
30. Gumbiner B, Lowenkopf T, Apatira D. Identification of a 160-kDa polypeptide that binds to the tight junction protein ZO-1. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 1991; 88: 3460–3464.
31. Eichele DDand Kharbanda KK. Dextran sodium sulfate colitis murine model: An indispensable toolfor advancing our understanding of inflammatory bowel diseasespathogenesis. World J Gastroenterol 2017; 23: 6016-6029.
32. TsukitaS, KatsunoT, Yamazaki Y, UmedaK, Tamura A, TsukitaS. Roles of ZO-1 and ZO-2 in establishment of the belt-like adherens and tight junctions with paracellular permselective barrier function. Ann N Y AcadSci 2009; 1165:44-52.
33. Tran L, Greenwood-Van Meerveld B. Age-associated remodeling of the epithelial barrier. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 2013; 68:1045-1056.
34. Odamaki T, Kato K, Sugahara H, Hashikura N, Takahashi S, Xiao JZ, et al. Age-related changes in gut microbiota composition from newborn to centenarian: a cross-sectional study. BMC Microbiol 2016; 16:90-102.
35. Volynets V, Rings A, Bárdos G, Ostaff MJ, Wehkamp J, Bischoff SC. Intestinal barrier analysis by assessment of mucins, tight junctions, and α-defensins in healthy C57BL/6J and BALB/cJ mice. Tissue Barriers 2016; 4:e1208468.
36. Zuo F, Nakamura N, Akao T, Hattori M. Pharmacokinetics of berberine and its main metabolites in conventional and pseudo germ-free rats determined by liquid chromatography/ion trap mass spectrometry. Drug Metabol Dispos 2006; 34: 2064–2072.