1. Treede RD, Jensen TS, Campbell JN, Cruccu G, Dostrovsky JO, Griffin JW, et al. Neuropathic pain redefinition and a grading system for clinical and research purposes. Neurology 2008; 70: 1630–1635.
2. Colloca L, Ludman T, Bouhassira D, Baron R, Dickenson AH, Yarnitsky D, et al. Neuropathic pain. Nat Rev Dis Primers 2017; 3: 17002.
3. Finnerup NB, Attal N, Haroutounian S, McNicol E, Baron R, Dworkin RH, et al. Pharmacotherapy for neuropathic pain in adults: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Lancet Neurol 2015; 14: 162–173.
4. Kazemi A, Rahmati M, Eslami R, Sheibani V. Activation of neurotrophins in lumbar dorsal root probably contributes to neuropathic pain after spinal nerve ligation. Iran J Basic Med Sci 2017; 20: 29–35.
5. Salter MW, Stevens B. Microglia emerge as central players in brain disease. Nat Med 2017; 23:1018–1027.
6. Kiguchi N, Kobayashi Y, Kishioka S. Chemokines and cytokines in neuroinflammation leading to neuropathic pain. Curr Opin Pharmacol 2012; 12: 55–61.
7. Gui WS, Wei X, Mai CL, Murugan M, Wu LJ, Xin WJ, et al. Interleukin-1β overproduction is a common cause for neuropathic pain, memory deficit, and depression following peripheral nerve injury in rodents. Mol Pain 2016; 12: 1744806916646784.
8. Clark AK, Old EA, Malcangio M. Neuropathic pain and cytokines: current perspectives. J Pain Res 2013; 6: 803–814.
9. Kremer M, Salvat E, Muller A, Yalcin I, Barrot M. Antidepressants and gabapentinoids in neuropathic pain: mechanistic insights. Neuroscience 2016; 338: 183–206.
10. Kanter M. Effects of Nigella sativa and its major constituent, thymoquinone on sciatic nerves in experimental diabetic neuropathy. Neurochem Res 2008; 33: 87–96.
11. Park HJ, Lee HG, Kim YS, Lee JY, Jeon JP, Park C, et al. Ginkgo biloba extract attenuates hyperalgesia in a rat model of vincristine-induced peripheral neuropathy. Anesth Analg 2012; 115: 1228–1233.
12. Gilles M, Zhao J, An M, Agboola S. Chemical composition and antimicrobial properties of essential oils of three Australian Eucalyptus species. Food Chem 2010; 119: 731–737.
13. de Sousa DP, Quintans Jr L, de Almeida RN. Evolution of the anticonvulsant activity of α-terpineol. Pharm Biol 2007; 45: 69–70.
14. Moghimi M, Parvardeh S, Zanjani TM, Ghafghazi S. Protective effect of α-terpineol against impairment of hippocampal synaptic plasticity and spatial memory following transient cerebral ischemia in rats. Iran J Basic Med Sci 2016; 19: 960–969.
15. Parvardeh S, Moghimi M, Eslami P, Masoudi A. α-Terpineol attenuates morphine-induced physical dependence and tolerance in mice: role of nitric oxide. Iran J Basic Med Sci 2016; 19: 201–208.
16. Moreira MR, Cruz GM, Lopes MS, Albuquerque AA, Leal-Cardoso JH. Effects of terpineol on the compound action potential of the rat sciatic nerve. Braz J Med Biol Res 2001; 34: 1337–1340.
17. Quintans-Júnior LJ, Oliveira MG, Santana MF, Santana MT, Guimarães AG, Siqueira JS, et al. α-Terpineol reduces nociceptive behavior in mice. Pharm Biol 2011; 49: 583–586.
18. Safaripour S, Nemati Y, Parvardeh S, Ghafghazi S, Fouladzadeh A, Moghimi M. Role of l‐arginine/SNAP/NO/cGMP/KATP channel signalling pathway in antinociceptive effect of α‐terpineol in mice. J Pharm Pharmacol 2018; 70: 507–515.
19. Tjølsen A, Berge OG, Hunskaar S, Rosland JH, Hole K. The formalin test: an evaluation of the method. Pain 1992; 51: 5–17.
20. de Oliveira MG, Marques RB, de Santana MF, Santos AB, Brito FA, Barreto EO, et al. α-terpineol reduces mechanical hypernociception and inflammatory response. Basic Clin Pharmacol Toxicol 2012; 111: 120–125.
21. Trinh HT, Lee IA, Hyun YJ, Kim DH. Artemisia princeps Pamp. Essential oil and its constituents eucalyptol and α-terpineol ameliorate bacterial vaginosis and vulvovaginal candidiasis in mice by inhibiting bacterial growth and NF-κB activation. Planta Med 2011; 77: 1996–2002.
22. Amin B, Poureshagh E, Hosseinzadeh H. The effect of verbascoside in neuropathic pain induced by chronic constriction injury in rats. Phytother Res 2016; 30: 128–135.
23. de Oliveira MG, Brito RG, Santos PL, Araújo-Filho HG, Quintans JS, Menezes PP, et al. α-Terpineol, a monoterpene alcohol, complexed with β-cyclodextrin exerts antihyperalgesic effect in animal model for fibromyalgia aided with docking study. Chem Biol Interact 2016; 254: 54–62.
24. Naderi Y, Sabetkasaei M, Parvardeh S, Zanjani TM. Neuroprotective effect of minocycline on cognitive impairments induced by transient cerebral ischemia/reperfusion through its anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties in male rat. Brain Res Bull 2017; 131: 207–213.
25. Naderi Y, Sabetkasaei M, Parvardeh S, Zanjani TM. Neuroprotective effect of minocycline on cognitive impairments induced by transient cerebral ischemia/reperfusion through its anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties in male rat. Brain Res Bull 2017; 131: 207–213.
26. Wang J, Li L, Wang Z, Cui Y, Tan X, Yuan T, et al. Supplementation of lycopene attenuates lipopolysaccharide-induced amyloidogenesis and cognitive impairments via mediating neuroinflammation and oxidative stress. J Nutr Biochem 2018; 56:16–25.
27. Jaggi AS, Jain V, Singh N. Animal models of neuropathic pain. Fundam Clin Pharmacol 2011; 25: 1–28.
28. Tsuda M. Microglia in the spinal cord and neuropathic pain. J Diabetes Investig 2016; 7: 17–26.
29. Inoue K, Tsuda M. Microglia in neuropathic pain: cellular and molecular mechanisms and therapeutic potential. Nat Rev Neurosci 2018; 19: 138–152.
30. Wodarski R, Clark AK, Grist J, Marchand F, Malcangio M. Gabapentin reverses microglial activation in the spinal cord of streptozotocin‐induced diabetic rats. Eur J Pain 2009; 13: 807–811.
31. Lee BS, Jun IG, Kim SH, Park JY. Intrathecal gabapentin increases interleukin-10 expression and inhibits pro-inflammatory cytokine in a rat model of neuropathic pain. J Korean Med Sci 2013; 28: 308–314.
32. Aira Z, Buesa I, Salgueiro M, Bilbao J, Aguilera L, Zimmermann M, et al. Subtype-specific changes in 5-HT receptor-mediated modulation of C fibre-evoked spinal field potentials are triggered by peripheral nerve injury. Neuroscience 2010; 168: 831–841.
33. Song Z, Meyerson BA, Linderoth B. Spinal 5-HT receptors that contribute to the pain-relieving effects of spinal cord stimulation in a rat model of neuropathy. Pain 2011; 152: 1666–1673.
34. Mixcoatl-Zecuatl T, Flores-Murrieta FJ, Granados-Soto V. The nitric oxide-cyclic GMP-protein kinase G-K+ channel pathway participates in the antiallodynic effect of spinal gabapentin. Eur J Pharmacol 2006; 531: 87–95.
35. Parvardeh S, Sabetkasaei M, Moghimi M, Masoudi A, Ghafghazi S, Mahboobifard F. Role of L-arginine/NO/cGMP/KATP channel signaling pathway in the central and peripheral antinociceptive effect of thymoquinone in rats. Iran J Basic Med Sci 2018; 21: 625–33.