1. Coles K, Tomporowski PD. Effects of acute exercise on executive processing, short-term and long-term memory. J Sport Sci 2008; 26: 333 – 344.
2. Van Praag H, Kempermann G, Gage FH. Running increases cell proliferation and neurogenesis in the adult mouse dentate gyrus. Nat Neurosci 1999; 2: 266-270.
3. Akhavan MM, Foroutan T, Safari M, Sadighi-Moghaddam B, Emami-Abarghoie M, Rashidy-Pour A. Prenatal exposure to maternal voluntary exercise during pregnancy provides protection against mild chronic postnatal hypoxia in rat offspring. Pak J Pharm Sci 2012; 25: 233-238.
4. Akhavan MM, Emami-Abarghoie M, Safari M, Sadighi-Moghaddam B, Vafaei AA, Bandegi, AR, et al. Serotonergic and noradrenergic lesion suppress the enhancing effect of maternal exercise during pregnancy on learning and memory in rat pups. Neuroscience 2008; 151: 1173–1183.
5. Kim H, Lee SH, Kim SS, Yoo JH, Kim CJ. The influence of maternal treadmill running during pregnancy on short-term memory and hippocampal cell survival in rat pups. Int J Dev Neurosci 2007; 25: 243–249.
6. Lee HH, Kim H, Lee JW, Kim YS, Yang HY, Chang HK, et al. Maternal swimming during pregnancy enhances short-term memory and neurogenesis in the hippocampus of rat pups. Brain Dev 2006; 28: 147–154.
7. Parnpiansil P, Jutapakdeegul N, Chentanez T, Kotchabhakdi N. Exercise during pregnancy increases hippocampal brain-derived neurotrophic factor mRNA expression and spatial learning in neonatal rat pup. Neurosci Lett 2003; 352: 45–48.
8. Bick-Sander A, Steiner B, Wolf SA, Babu H, Kempermann G. Running in pregnancy transiently increases postnatal hippocampal neurogenesis in the offspring. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2006; 103: 3852-3857.
9. O’Callaghan RM, Ohle R, Kelly AM. The effects of forced exercise on hippocampal plasticity in the rat: A comparison of LTP, spatial- and non-spatial learning. Behav Brain Res 2007; 176:362–366.
10. Stranahan AM, Zhou Y, Martin B, Maudsley S. Pharmacomimetics of exercise: Novel approaches for hippocampally-targeted neuroprotective agents. Curr Med Chem 2009; 16: 4668-4678.
11. van Praag H, Shubert T, Zhao C, Gage FH. Exercise enhances learning and hippocampal neurogenesis in aged mice. J Neurosci, 2005; 25, 8680–8685.
12. Van Praag H. Neurogenesis and exercise: Past and future directions. Neuromolecular Med 2008; 10:128–140.
13. Ding Q, Vaynman S, Akhavan MM, Ying Z, Gomez – Pinilla F. Insulin- like growth factor 1 interfaces with brain -derived neurotrophic factor - mediated synaptic plasticity to modulate aspects of exercise - induced cognitive function. Neuroscience 2006; 140: 823–833.
14. Neeper SA, Gomez-pinilla F, Choi J, Cotman CW. Physical activity increases mRNA for brain-derived neurotrophic factor and nerve growth factor in rat brain. Brain Res 1996; 726: 49-56.
15. Vaynman S,Ying Z, Gomez-Pinilla F. Interplay between BDNF and signal transduction modulators in the regulation of the effects of exercise on synaptic-plasticity. Neuroscience 2003; 122:647–657.
16. Kafitz KW, Rose CR, Thoenen H, Konnerth A. Neurotrophin-evoked rapid excitation through TrkB receptors. Nature 1999; 401: 918-921.
The Role of Hippocampal BDNF Expression Akhavan et al
Iran J Basic Med Sci, Vol. 16, No. 9, Sep 2013
17. Akhavan MM, Emami-Abarghoie M, Sadighi-Moghaddam B, Safari M, Yousefi Y, Rashidy-Pour A. Hippocampal angiotensin II receptors play an important role in mediating the effect of voluntary exercise on learning and memory in rat. Brain Res 2008; 1232: 132-138.
18. Lom B, Cohen-Cory S. Brain-derived neurotrophic factor differentially regulates retinal ganglion cell dendritic and axonal arborization in vivo. J Neurosci 1999; 19: 9928–9938.
19. Vaynman S, Ying Z, Gomez-Pinilla F. Hippocampal BDNF mediates the efficacy of exercise on synaptic plasticity and cognition. Eur J Neurosci 2004; 20: 2580- 2590.
20. Miladi-Gorji H, Rashidy-Pour A, Fathollahi Y, Akhavan MM, Semnanian S, Safari M. Voluntary exercise ameliorates cognitive deficits in morphine dependent rats: The role of hippocampal brain-derived neurotrophic factor. Neurobiol learn mem 2011; 96: 479-491.
21. Vaynman S, Ying Z, Gَmez-Pinilla F. Exercise induces BDNF and synapsin I to specific hippocampal subfields. J Neurosci Res 2004;76: 356-362.
22. Ebrahimi S, Rashidy-Pour A,Vafaei AA, Akhavan MM. Central β-adrenergic receptors play an important role in the enhancing effect of voluntary
exercise on learning and memory in rat. Behav Brain Res 2010; 208:189–193.
23. Adlard PA, Cotman CW. Voluntary exercise protects against stress - induced decreases in brain - derived neurotrohic factor protein expression. Neuroscience 2004; 124: 985–992.
24. Fujioka A, Fujioka T, Ishida Y, Maekawa T, Nakamura S.Differential effects of prenatal stress on the morphological maturation of hippocampal neurons. Neuroscience 2006; 141: 907–915.
25. Van den Hove DL, Lauder JM, Steepens A, Prickaerts J, Blanco CE, Steinbusch HW. Prenatal stress in the rat alters 5-HT1A receptor binding in the ventral hippocampus. Brain Res 2006; 1090: 29-34.
26. Holmes MM, Galea LA, Mistlberger RE, Kempermann G. Adult hippocampal neurogenesis and voluntary running activity: circadian and dose-dependent effects. J Neurosci Res 2004; 76: 216-22.
27. Knüsel B, Hefti F. K-252 compounds: modulators of neurotrophin signal transduction. J Neurochem 1992; 59: 1987-96.
28. Skup M, Czarkowska-Bauch J, Dwornik A, Macias M, Sulejczak D, Wiater M. Locomotion induces changes in Trk B receptors in small diameter cells of the spinal cord. Acta Neurobiol Exp (Wars). 2000; 60: 371.