1. Balakumar P, Rohilla A, Thangathirupathi A. Gentamicin-induced nephrotoxicity: Do we have a promising therapeutic approach to blunt it? Pharmacol Res 2010; 62:179-186.
2. Martinez-Salgado C, Lopez-Hernandez FJ, Lopez-Novoa JM. Glomerular nephrotoxicity of aminoglycosides. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 2007; 223:86-98.
3. Stojiljkovic N, Mihailovic D, Veljkovic S, Stoiljkovic M, Jovanovic I. Glomerular basement membrane alterations induced by gentamicin administration in rats. Exp Toxicol Pathol 2008; 60:69-75.
4. Khan SA, Priyamvada S, Farooq N, Khan S, Khan MW, Yusufi AN. Protective effect of green tea extract on gentamicin-induced nephrotoxicity and oxidative damage in rat kidney. Pharmacol Res 2009; 59:254-262.
5. Nagai J, Takano M. Molecular aspects of renal handling of aminoglycosides and strategies for preventing the nephrotoxicity. Drug Metab Pharmacokinet 2004; 19:159-170.
6. Watanabe A, Nagai J, Adachi Y, Katsube T, Kitahara Y, Murakami T,
et al. Targeted prevention of renal accumulation and toxicity of gentamicin by aminoglycoside binding receptor antagonists. J Control Release 2004; 95:423-433.
7. Walker PD, Shah SV. Evidence suggesting a role for hydroxyl radical in gentamicin-induced acute renal failure in rats. J Clin Invest 1988; 81:334-341.
8. Paterson DL, Robson JM, Wagener MM. Risk factors for toxicity in elderly patients given aminoglycosides once daily. J Gen Intern Med 1998; 13:735-739.
9. Ali BH. Agents ameliorating or augmenting experimental gentamicin nephrotoxicity: some recent research. Food Chem Toxicol 2003; 41:1447-1452.
10. Iglesias P, Diez JJ. Thyroid dysfunction and kidney disease. Eur J Endocrinol 2009; 160:503-515.
11. Maldonado PD, Barrera D, Rivero I, Mata R, Medina-Campos ON, Hernandez-Pando R,
et al. Antioxidant S-allylcysteine prevents gentamicin-induced oxidative stress and renal damage. Free Radic Biol Med 2003; 35:317-324.
12. Pahlavanzadeh F, Bidadkosh A, Derakhshanfar A, Rastegar AM, Rushanzamir M. Antioxidant protecting effects of vitamin B
6 at reducing hemodynamic toxicity of gentamicin in rat model of nephrotoxicity. Comp Clin Pathol 2012; 1-7.
13. Pedraza-Chaverri J, Maldonado PD, Barrera D, Ceron A, Medina-Campos ON, Hernandez-Pando R. Protective effect of diallyl sulfide on oxidative stress and nephrotoxicity induced by gentamicin in rats. Mol Cell Biochem 2003; 254:125-130.
14. Walker PD, Barri Y, Shah SV. Oxidant mechanisms in gentamicin nephrotoxicity. Ren Fail 1999 ;21:433-442.
15. Al-Shabanah OA, Aleisa AM, Al-Yahya AA, Al-Rejaie SS, Bakheet SA, Fatani AG,
et al. Increased urinary losses of carnitine and decreased intramitochondrial coenzyme A in gentamicin-induced acute renal failure in rats. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2010; 25:69-76.
16. Cooper DS. Antithyroid drugs. N Engl J Med 1984; 311:1353-1362.
17. Nakahama H, Nakamura H, Kitada O, Sugita M. Chronic drug-induced tubulointerstitial nephritis with renal failure associated with propylthiouracil therapy. Nephrol Dial Transplant 1999; 14:1263-1265.
18. Bilezikian SB, Laleli Y, Tsan MF, Hodkinson BA, Ice S, McIntyre PA. Immunological: reactions involving leukocytes: III. Agranulocytosis induced by antithyroid drugs. Johns Hopkins Med J 1976 ; 138:124-129.
19. Fang JT, Huang CC. Propylthiouracil-induced acute interstitial nephritis with acute renal failure requiring haemodialysis: successful therapy with steroids. Nephrol Dial Transplant 1998; 13:757-758.
20. Montenegro J, González O, Saracho R, Aguirre R, González Ó, Martínez I. Changes in renal function in primary hypothyroidism. Am J kid Dis 1996; 27:195-198.
21. Nakahama H, Sakaguchi K, Horita Y, Sasaki O, Nakamura S, Inenaga T,
et al. Treatment of severe hypothyroidism reduced serum creatinine levels in two chronic renal failure patients. Nephron 2001; 88:264-267.
22. Reinhart SC, Moses AM, Cleary L, Scheinman SJ. Acute interstitial nephritis with renal failure associated with propylthiouracil therapy. Am J kid Dis 1994; 24:575.
Sepehri et al Propylthiouracil and Gentamicin-Induced Nephrotoxicity
Iran J Basic Med Sci, Vol. 16, No. 11, Nov 2013
23. Sepehri G, Derakhshanfar A, Yazdi Zadeh F. Protective effects of corn silk extract administration on gentamicin-induced nephrotoxicity in rat. Comp Clin Pathol 2011; 20:89-94.
24. Stojiljkovic N, Stoiljkovic M, Mihailovic D, Randjelovic P, Ilic S, Gocmanac-Ignjatovic M,
et al. Beneficial effects of calcium oral coadministration in gentamicin-induced nephrotoxicity in rats. Ren Fail 2012; 34:622-627.
25. Stojiljkovic N, Stoiljkovic M, Randjelovic P, Veljkovic S, Mihailovic D. Cytoprotective effect of vitamin C against gentamicin-induced acute kidney injury in rats. Exp Toxicol Pathol 2012; 64:69-74.
26. Spandou E, Tsouchnikas I, Karkavelas G, Dounousi E, Simeonidou C, Guiba-Tziampiri O,
et al. Erythropoietin attenuates renal injury in experimental acute renal failure ischaemic/reperfusion model. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2006; 21:330-336.
27. Randjelovic P, Veljkovic S, Stojiljkovic N, Jankovic-Velickovic L, Sokolovic D, Stoiljkovic M,
et al. Salicylic acid attenuates gentamicin-induced nephrotoxicity in rats. Sci World J 2012; 2012:390613.
28. Stojiljkovic N, Veljkovic S, Mihailovic D, Stoiljkovic M, Rankovic G, Jovanovic I,
et al. Pentoxifylline ameliorates glomerular basement membrane ultrastructural changes caused by gentamicin administration in rats. Bosn J Basic Med Sci 2009; 9:239-244.
29. Cuzzocrea S, Chatterjee PK, Mazzon E, McDonald MC, Dugo L, Di Paola R,
et al. Beneficial effects of GW274150, a novel, potent and selective inhibitor of iNOS activity, in a rodent model of collagen-induced arthritis. Eur J Pharmacol 2002; 453:119-129.
30. Cuzzocrea S, Mazzon E, Dugo L, Serraino I, Di Paola R, Britti D,
et al. A role for superoxide in gentamicin-mediated nephropathy in rats. Eur J Pharmacol 2002; 450:67-76.
31. Kadkhodaee M, Khastar H, Arab HA, Ghaznavi R, Zahmatkesh M, Mahdavi-Mazdeh M. Antioxidant vitamins preserve superoxide dismutase activities in gentamicin-induced nephrotoxicity. Transplant Proc 2007; 39:864-865.
32. Randjelovic P, Veljkovic S, Stojiljkovic N, Velickovic L, Sokolovic D, Stoiljkovic M,
et al. Protective effect of selenium on gentamicin-induced oxidative stress and nephrotoxicity in rats. Drug Chem Toxicol 2012; 35:141-148.
33. Farombi EO, Ekor M. Curcumin attenuates gentamicin-induced renal oxidative damage in rats. Food Chem Toxicol 2006; 44:1443-1448.
34. Romero F, Perez M, Chavez M, Parra G, Durante P. Effect of uric acid on gentamicin-induced nephrotoxicity in rats - role of matrix metalloproteinases 2 and 9. Basic Clin Pharmacol Toxicol 2009; 105:416-424.
35. Abdel-Raheem IT, El-Sherbiny GA, Taye A. Green tea ameliorates renal oxidative damage induced by gentamicin in rats. Pak J Pharm Sci 2010; 23:21-28.
36. Avdagic N, Cosovic E, Nakas-Icindic E, Mornjakovic Z, Zaciragic A, Hadzovic-Dzuvo A. Spirulina platensis protects against renal injury in rats with gentamicin-induced acute tubular necrosis. Bosn J Basic Med Sci 2008; 8:331-336.
37. Derakhshanfar A, Roshanzamir M, Bidadkosh A. Dose-related protecting effects of vitamin C in gentamicin-induced rat nephrotoxicity: a histopathologic and biochemical study. Comp Clin Pathol 2012; 1-7.
38. Hsu DZ, Li YH, Chu PY, Periasamy S, Liu MY. Sesame oil prevents acute kidney injury induced by the synergistic action of aminoglycoside and iodinated contrast in rats. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2011; 55:2532-2536.
39. Maldonado PD, Barrera D, Medina-Campos ON, Hernandez-Pando R, Ibarra-Rubio ME, Pedraza-Chaverri J. Aged garlic extract attenuates gentamicin induced renal damage and oxidative stress in rats. Life Sci 2003; 73:2543-2556.
40. Manikandan R, Beulaja M, Thiagarajan R, Priyadarsini A, Saravanan R, Arumugam M. Ameliorative effects of curcumin against renal injuries mediated by inducible nitric oxide synthase and nuclear factor kappa B during gentamicin-induced toxicity in Wistar rats. Eur J Pharmacol 2011; 670:578-585.
41. Winters MJ, Morrison Hurley R, Lirenman DS. ANCA-positive glomerulonephritis and IgA nephropathy in a patient on propylthiouracil. Pediatr Nephrol 2002; 17:257-260.
42. Prasad G, Bastacky S, Johnson JP. Propylthiouracil-induced diffuse proliferative lupus nephritis: review of immunological complications. J Am Soc Nephrol 1997; 8:1205-1210.
43. Abraham P, Kanakasabapathy I, Dian BJ. Propylthiouracil attenuates acetaminophen-induced renal damage in the rat. Nephrology (Carlton) 2005; 10:588-593.