1. Fevrier M, Dorgham K, Rebollo A. CD4+ T cell depletion in human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection: role of apoptosis. Viruses 2011; 3:586-612.
2. Friedrich BM, Dziuba N, Li G, Endsley MA, Murray JL, Ferguson MR. Host factors mediating HIV-1 replication. Virus Rese 2011; 161:101-114.
3. Yousaf MZ, Zia S, Babar ME, Ashfaq UA. The epidemic of HIV/AIDS in developing countries; the current scenario in Pakistan. Virol J 2011; 8:401.
4. AIDS Progress Report-Iran,March 2012. 2012. Available at:http://www.unaids.org/en/dataanalysis/knowyourresponse/countryprogressreports/2012countries/IRIran%20AIDS%20Progress%20Report%202012%20English%20final1_1.pdf.
5. Johanson J, Abravaya K, Caminiti W, Erickson D, Flanders R, Leckie G,
et al. A new ultrasensitive assay for quantitation of HIV-1 RNA in plasma. J Virol Methods 2001 ; 95:81-92.
6. Mackay IM, Arden KE, Nitsche A. Real-time PCR in virology. Nucl Acids Res 2002; 30:1292-1305.
7. Cabral F, Arruda LB, de Araujo ML, Montanheiro P, Smid J, de Oliveira AC,
et al. Detection of human T-cell lymphotropic virus type 1 in plasma samples. Virus Res 2012; 163:87-90.
8. Brites C, Sampalo J, Oliveira A. HIV/human T-cell lymphotropic virus coinfection revisited: impact on AIDS progression. AIDS Rev 2009; 11:8-16.
9. Yamashiro T, Kamiya H, Miyara T, Gibo S, Ogawa K, Akamine T,
et al. CT scans of the chest in carriers of human T-cell lymphotropic virus type 1: presence of interstitial pneumonia. Acad Radiol 2012; 19:952-957.
10. Naderi M, Paryan M, Azadmanesh K, Rafatpanah H, Rezvan H, Mirab Samiee S. Design and development of a quantitative real time PCR assay for monitoring of
The effect of co-infection with HIV/HTLV-I on virus replication
Rahimi et al
Iran J Basic Med Sci, Vol. 17, No. 1, Jan 2014 53
HTLV-1 provirus in whole blood. J Clin Virol 2012; 53:302-307.
11. Kalavi K, Moradi A, Tabarraei A. Population-based Seroprevalence of HTLV-I Infection in Golestan Province, South East of Caspian Sea, Iran. Iran J Basic Med Sci 2013; 16.
12. Boostani R, Ardakani AM, Ashrafi H. Khorasan Disease: Prevalence of HTLV-I Associated Myelopathy/Tropical Spastic Paraparesis (HAM/TSP) In West Azarbaijan from 2004 to 2007. Iran Red Crescent Med J 2011; 13:428.
13. Azarpazhooh MR, Hasanpour K, Ghanbari M, Rezaee SR, Mashkani B, Hedayati-Moghaddam MR,
et al. Human T-lymphotropic virus type 1 prevalence in Northeastern Iran, Sabzevar: an epidemiologic-based study and phylogenetic analysis. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 2012; 28:1095-101.
14. Sadeghian MH, Keramati MR, Ayatollahi H, Feizabadi AS, Tehranaian F, Shakibyee H. Is there any relationship between expressions of minor blood group antigens with HTLV-I infection? Transfus Apher Sci 2012; 47:151-154.
15. Vakili R, Sabet F, Ghezeldasht SA, Boostani R, Rafatpanah H, Shamsian A,
et al. Human T-lymphotropic virus type I (HTLV-I) proviral load and clinical features in Iranian HAM/TSP patients. Iran J Basic Med Sci 2013; 16.
16. Rafatpanah H, Hosseini RF, Pourseyed SH. The Impact of immune response on HTLV-I in HTLV-I-associated myelopathy/tropical spastic paraparesis (HAM/TSP). Iran J Basic Med Sci 2013; 16.
17. Beilke MA, Traina-Dorge VL, Sirois M, Bhuiyan A, Murphy EL, Walls JM,
et al. Relationship between human T lymphotropic virus (HTLV) type 1/2 viral burden and clinical and treatment parameters among patients with HIV type 1 and HTLV-1/2 coinfection. Clin Infect Dis 2007 ; 44:1229-1234.
18. Casseb J, de Oliveira AC, Vergara MP, Montanheiro P, Bonasser F, Meilman Ferreira C,
et al. Presence of tropical spastic paraparesis/human T-cell lymphotropic virus type 1-associated myelopathy (TSP/HAM)-like among HIV-1-infected patients. J Med Virol 2008; 80:392-398.
19. Silva MT, Neves ES, Grinsztejn B, de Melo Espindola O, Schor D, Araujo A. Neurological manifestations of coinfection with HIV and human T-lymphotropic virus type 1. AIDS (London, England) 2012; 26:521-523.
20. Bassani S, Lopez M, Toro C, Jimenez V, Sempere JM, Soriano V,
et al. Influence of human T cell lymphotropic virus type 2 coinfection on virological and immunological parameters in HIV type 1-infected patients. Clin Infect Dis 2007; 44:105-110.
21. Beilke MA, Theall KP, O'Brien M, Clayton JL, Benjamin SM, Winsor EL,
et al. Clinical outcomes and disease progression among patients coinfected with HIV and human T lymphotropic virus types 1 and 2. Clin Infect Dis 2004; 39:256-263.
22. Regis C, Oliveira A, Brites C. Onset of opportunistic infections in patients co-infected by HTLV-1 and HIV-1, with high CD4+ cells count. Braz J Infect Dis 2009; 13:311-313.
23. Taltynov O, Desimmie BA, Demeulemeester J, Christ F, Debyser Z. Cellular cofactors of lentiviral integrase: from target validation to drug discovery. Mol Biol Int 2012; 2012:863405.
24. O'Connor GM, Seich Al Basatena NK, Olavarria V, MacNamara A, Vine A, Ying Q,
et al. In contrast to HIV, KIR3DS1 does not influence outcome in HTLV-1 retroviral infection. Hum Immunol 2012; 73:783-787.
25. Quaranta MG, Mattioli B, Vella S. Glances in Immunology of HIV and HCV Infection. Adv Virol 2012; 2012:434036.
26. Norrgren H, Bamba S, Da Silva ZJ, Koivula T, Andersson S. Higher mortality in HIV-2/HTLV-1 co-infected patients with pulmonary tuberculosis in Guinea-Bissau, West Africa, compared to HIV-2-positive HTLV-1-negative patients. Int J Infect Dis 2010; 3:e142-147.
27. Bahia F, Novais V, Evans J, Le Marchand C, Netto E, Page K,
et al. The impact of human T-cell lymphotropic virus I infection on clinical and immunologic outcomes in patients coinfected with HIV and hepatitis C virus. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 2011; 57:S202-207.
28. Beilke MA, Japa S, Moeller-Hadi C, Martin-Schild S. Tropical spastic paraparesis/human T leukemia virus type 1-associated myelopathy in HIV type 1-coinfected patients. Clin Infect Dis 2005; 41:e57-63.
29. Casseb J, Posada-Vergara MP, Montanheiro P, Fukumori LM, Olah I, Smid J,
et al. T CD4+ cells count among patients co-infected with human immunodeficiency virus type 1 (HIV-1) and human T-cell leukemia virus type 1 (HTLV-1): high prevalence of tropical spastic paraparesis/HTLV-1-associated myelopathy (TSP/HAM). Rev Inst Med Trop de Sao Paulo 2007; 49:231-233.
30. WHO. WHO case deinitions of HIV for surveillance and revised clinical staging and immunological classiication of HIV-related disease in adults and children. 2006
. Available fat:http://www.who.int/hiv/pub/vct/hivstaging/en/index.html.
31. Rafatpanah H, Rezaee A, Etemadi MM, Hosseini RF, Khorram B, Afsahr L,
et al. The impact of interferon-alpha treatment on clinical and immunovirological aspects of HTLV-1-associated myelopathy in northeast of Iran. J Neuroimmunol 2012; 250:87-93.
32. Swanson P, Harris BJ, Holzmayer V, Devare SG, Schochetman G, Hackett J Jr. Quantification of HIV-1 group M (subtypes A-G) and group O by the LCx HIV RNA quantitative assay. J Virol Methods 2000; 89:97-108.
33. Altamirano NA, Rocco C, Aulicino P, Sen L, Mangano A. Quantitation of HTLV-I proviral load by a real-time PCR assay using SYBR Green: comparison of two methods for DNA isolation. J Virol Methods 2010; 170:160-164.
34. Machuca A, Rodes B, Soriano V. The effect of antiretroviral therapy on HTLV infection. Virus Res 2001 30; 78:93-100.
35. Alimonti JB, Ball TB, Fowke KR. Mechanisms of CD4+ T lymphocyte cell death in human immunodeficiency virus infection and AIDS. J Gene Virol 2003; 84:1649-1661.
36. Chan JK, Greene WC. Dynamic roles for NF-kappaB in HTLV-I and HIV-1 retroviral pathogenesis. Immunol Rev 2012; 246:286-310.
37. Pedroso C, Netto EM, Weyll N, Brites C. Coinfection by HIV-1 and human lymphotropic virus type 1 in Brazilian children is strongly associated with a shorter survival time. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 2011; 57:S208-211.
Rahimi et al
The effect of co-infection with HIV/HTLV-I on virus replication
Iran J Basic Med Sci, Vol. 17, No. 1, Jan 2014 54
38. Casoli C, Pilotti E, Bertazzoni U. Molecular and cellular interactions of HIV-1/HTLV coinfection and impact on AIDS progression. AIDS Rev 2007; 9:140-149.
39. Schechter M, Harrison LH, Halsey NA, Trade G, Santino M, Moulton LH,
et al. Coinfection with human T-cell lymphotropic virus type I and HIV in Brazil. Impact on markers of HIV disease progression. JAMA 1994; 271:353-357.
40. Fantry L, De Jonge E, Auwaerter PG, Lederman HM. Immunodeficiency and elevated CD4 T lymphocyte counts in two patients coinfected with human immunodeficiency virus and human lymphotropic virus type I. Clin Infect Dis 1995; 21:1466-1468.
41. Harrison LH, Quinn TC, Schechter M. Human T cell lymphotropic virus type I does not increase human immunodeficiency virus viral load
in vivo. J Infect Dis 1997;175:438-440.
42. Cesaire R, Dehee A, Lezin A, Desire N, Bourdonne O, Dantin F
, et al. Quantification of HTLV type I and HIV type I DNA load in coinfected patients: HIV type 1 infection does not alter HTLV type I proviral amount in the peripheral blood compartment. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 2001; 17:799-805.
43. Harrison LH, Schechter M. Coinfection with HTLV-I and HIV: increase in HTLV-I-related outcomes but not accelerated HIV disease progression? AIDS patient care and STDS 1998; 12:619-623.
44. Roy U, Simpson SA, Mondal D, Eloby-Childress S,
Winsor EL, Beilke MA. Upregulation of HTLV-1 and
HTLV-2 expression by HIV-1
in vitro. J Med Virol 2008; 80:494-500.
45. Brites C, Oliveira AS, Netto EM. Coinfection with HIV and human T lymphotropic virus type 1: what is the real impact on HIV disease? Clin Infect Dis 2005; 40:329-330.
46. Matsuzaki T, Nakagawa M, Nagai M, Usuku K, Higuchi I, Arimura K,
et al. HTLV-I proviral load correlates with progression of motor disability in HAM/TSP: analysis of 239 HAM/TSP patients including 64 patients followed up for 10 years. J Neurovirol 2001; 7:228-234.
47. Adaui V, Verdonck K, Best I, Gonzalez E, Tipismana M, Arevalo J,
et al. SYBR Green-based quantitation of human T-lymphotropic virus type 1 proviral load in Peruvian patients with neurological disease and asymptomatic carriers: influence of clinical status, sex, and familial relatedness. J Nurovirol 2006; 12:456-465.
48. Donnelly CA, Bartley LM, Ghani AC, Le Fevre AM, Kwong GP, Cowling BJ,
et al. Gender difference in HIV-1 RNA viral loads. HIV Med 2005; 6:170-178.
49. Napravnik S, Poole C, Thomas JC, Eron JJ Jr. Gender difference in HIV RNA levels: a meta-analysis of published studies. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 2002; 31:11-19.
50. Gandhi M, Bacchetti P, Miotti P, Quinn TC, Veronese F, Greenblatt RM. Does patient sex affect human immunodeficiency virus levels? Clin Infect Dis 2002; 35:313-322.