Conklin KA. Dietary antioxidants during cancer chemotherapy: Impact on chemotherapeutic effectiveness and development of side effects. Nutr Cancer 2000; 37: 1–18.
Raul JA, Robles M, Castañer AF, Ortega SL & Vega CL. Assessment of druginduced hepatotoxicity in clinical practice: A challenge for gastroenterologists. World J Gastroenterol 2007; 13:329-340.
3. Holt MP, Cynthia Ju. Mechanisms of Drug-Induced Liver Injury. AAPS J 2006; 8:E48-E54.
4. Asha VV, Sheeba MS, Suresh V, Wills PJ. Hepatoprotection of
Phyllantus maderaspatensis against experimentally induced liver injury in rats. Fitoterapia 2007; 78:134-141.
5. Gupta RK, Kesari AN, Murthy PS, Chandra R, Tandon V, Watal G. Hypoglycemic and antidiabetic ffect of ethanolic extract of leaves of
Annona squamosa L. in experimental animals. J Ethnopharmacol 2005; 99:75-81.
6. Sharma V, Singh M.
In vitro radical scavenging activity and phytochemical screening for evaluation of the antioxidant potential of Operculina turpethum root extract. J Pharm Res 2012; 5:783-787.
7. Sharma V, Singh M. N-Nitrosodimethylamine as a hazardous chemical toxicant in drinking water. Int Res J Pharm 2012; 3:3.
8. Biaudet H, Mavelle T, Debry G . Mean daily intake of Nnitrosodimethylamine from foods and bevearages in France in 1987- 1992. Food Chem Toxicol 1994; 32: 417-421.
9. Subramonium A & Pushpangadan P. Development of phytomedicines for liverdiseases. Indian J Pharmacol 1999; 31:166-175.
10. Sharma V, Singh M. Alterations induced by N- Nitrosodimethylamine and ethanolic root extract of
Operculina turpethum in serum lipid profile of male albino mice. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2012; 3: 69-73.
11. Sharma V, Singh M. Operculina turpethum as a panoramic herbal medicine. Int J Pharm Sci Res 2012; 3:01-05.
12. Ahmad R.
Operculina turpethum attenuates N-nitrosodimethylamine induced toxic liver injury and clastogenicity in rats. Chem Biol Int 2009; 181:145–153.
13. Sharma A, Sharma V & Kansal L. Amelioration of lead-induced hepatotoxicity by Allium sativum extracts in Swiss albino mice. Libyan J Med 2010; 5: 4621.
14. Nwanjo HU, Ojiako OA. Effect of vitamins E and C on exercise induced oxidative stress. Global J Pure Appl Sci 2005; 12:199-202.
15. Marklund S, Marklund G. Involvement of superoxide anion radical in the autooxidation of pyrogallol and convenient assay for SOD. Eur J Biochem 1974; 47:469-474.
16. Aebi HE. Catalase.In: (Bergmeyer HU, Bergmeyer J, Grabl M, editors) 1993; 3: 273-286.
17. Reitman S, Frankel AS. A colorimetric method for the determination of serum glutamic oxaloacetic and glutamic pyruvic transaminase. Am J Clin Pathol 1957; 28: 53-56.
Hepatotoxicity and Operculina turpethum Sharma and Singh
Iran J Basic Med Sci, Vol. 17, No.1, Jan 2014 80
18. Jollow DJ, Mitchell JR, Zamppaglione Z, Gillette JR. Bromobenzene induced liver necrosis; Protective role of glutathione and evidence for 3-4 bromobenzene oxide as the hepatotoxic metabolite. Pharmacology 1974; 11:151-156.
19. Lowry OH, Rosebrough NJ, Farr AL, Randall RJ. Protein measurements with the folin phenol reagent. J Biol Chem 1951; 193:265-275.
20. Zak B. Cholesterol methodologies: a review. Clin Chem 1977; 23:1201-1214.
21. Sadashivam S, Manickam A. Biochem Methods 1996; 2:121-124.
22. Mc Manus FA, Mowry RW. Staining methods. (Hober PB, ed)New York: Harper and Brothers;1965.
23. Liu X, Wang H, Liang, SC, Zhang HS. Determination of primary and secondary aliphatic amines by
N-hydroxysuccinimidyl 4,3,29-naphthapyrone-4-acetate and reversed-phase high-performance liquid chromatography. Anal Chim Acta 2001; 441:45–52.
24. Anbuselvam C, Vijayavel K, Balasubramanian MP. Protective effect of
Operculina turpethum against 7,12-dimethylben (a) anthracene induced oxidative stress with referance to breast cancer in Experimental rats. Chem Biolo Interact 2007; 168: 229 – 236.
25. Vendemiale G, Grattagliano I, Caruso ML, Serviddio G, Valentini AM, Pirrelli M. Increased oxidative stress in dimethylnitrosamine- induced liver fibrosis in the rat: effect of N-acetylcysteine and interferon-alpha. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 2001; 175:130–139.
26. Halliwell B, Gutteridge JMC. Lipid peroxidation, oxygen radicals, cell damage and antioxidant therapy. Lancet 1984; 23:1396-1397.
27. Tanwar M, Sharma A, Swarnkar KP, Singhal M, Yadav K. Antioxidant and hepatoprotective activity of
Trichosanthes dioicaroxb on paracetamol induced toxicity. IJPSR 2011; 2:110-121.
28. James RC, Harbison RD. Hepatic glutathione and hepatotoxicity. Biochem Pharmacol 1982; 31:1829-1835.
29. Bhattacharya A, Chatterjee A, Ghosal S, Bhattacharya SK. Antioxidant activity of active tannoid principles of
Emblica officinalis (Amla). Ind J Exp Biol 1999; 37:676–680.
30. Sharma V, Gupta R. Hepatoprotective effect of ethanolic extract of
Tinospora cordifolia root extract on Aflatoxin B1-induced hepatic damage in mice. J Pharm Res 2011; 4:1754-1756.
31. Harikrishan B, Subramanian P, Subash S. Effect of
Withania somnifera Root powder on the levels of Circulatory Lipid peroxidation and liver Markerenzyme in chronic hyperammonemia. E J Chem 2008; 5: 872-877.
32. Seifried HE, McDonald SS, Anderson DE, Grenwald P, Milner JA. The antioxidant conundrum in cancer. Cancer Res 2003; 63:4295- 4298.