1. Carmichael ST. Rodent models of focal stroke: size, mechanism, and purpose. NeuroRx 2005; 2: 396-409.
2. Durukan A, Tatlisumak T. Acute ischemic stroke: overview of major experimental rodent models, pathophysiology, and therapy of focal cerebral ischemia. Pharmacol Biochem Behav 2007; 87:179-197.
3. Mergenthaler P, Dirnagl U, Meisel A. Pathophysiology of stroke: lessons from animal models. Metab Brain Dis 2004; 19:151-167.
4. Sloan MA, Kittner SJ, Feeser BR, Gardner J, Epstein A, Wozniak MA, et al. Illicit drug-associated ischemic stroke in the Baltimore-Washington young stroke study. Neurology 1998; 50:1688-1693.
5. Somala RK. Rhabdomyolysis and brain ischemic stroke in a heroin-dependent male. Invited comment. Acta Psychiatr Scand 2009; 120:80-81.
6. Büttner A, Mall G, Penning R,Weis S. The neuropathology of heroin abuse. Forensic Sci Int 2000; 113:435-442.
7. Borne J, Riascos R, Cuellar H, Vargas D, Rojas R. Neuroimaging in drug and substance abuse part II: opioids and solvents. Top Magn Reson Imaging 2005; 16:239-245.
8. Mirzaii-Dizgah I, Ojaghi R, Sadeghipour-Roodsari HR, Karimian SM, Sohanaki H. Attenuation of morphine withdrawal signs by low level laser therapy in rats. Behav Brain Res 2009; 196:268-270.
9. Zhang Y, Chen Q, Yu LC. Morphine: a protective or destructive role in neurons? Neuroscientist 2008; 14:61-570.
10. Liao SL, Chen WY, Raung SL, Chen CJ. Neuroprotection of naloxone against ischemic injury in rats: role of mu receptor antagonism. Neurosci Lett 2003; 345:169-172.
11. Xiong LZ, Yang J, Wang Q, Lu ZH. Involvement of delta-and mu-opioid receptors in the delayed cerebral ischemic tolerance induced by repeated electroacupuncture preconditioning in rats. Chin Med J (Engl) 2007;120:394-399.
12. Feng P, Meissler JR, Adler MW,Eisenstein TK. Morphine withdrawal sensitizes mice to lipopolysaccharide: elevated TNF-alpha and nitric oxide with decreased IL-12. J Neuroimmunol 2005; 164:57-65.
13. Dunbar SA, Karamian I, Yeatman A, Zhang J. Effects of recurrent withdrawal on spinal GABA release during chronic morphine infusion in the rat. Eur J Pharmacol 2006; 535:152-156.
14. Harris AC, Rothwell PE, Gewirtz JC. Effects of the NMDA receptor antagonist memantine on the expression and development of acute opiate dependence as assessed by withdrawal-potentiated startle and hyperalgesia Psychopharmacology (Berl) 2008; 196: 649-660.
15. Emeterio EP, Tramullas M, Hurle MA. Modulation of apoptosis in the mouse brain after morphine treatments and morphine withdrawal. J Neurosci Res 2006; 83:1352-1361.
16. Sharma HS, Sjoquist PO, Ali SF. Drugs of abuse-induced hyperthermia, blood-brain barrier dysfunction and neurotoxicity: neuroprotective effects of a new antioxidant compound H-290/51. Curr Pharm Des 2007; 13:1903-1923.
17. Allahtavakoli M, Moloudi R, Arababadi MK, Shamsizadeh A, Javanmardi K. Delayed post ischemic treatment with rosiglitazone attenuates infarct volume, neurological deficits and neutrophilia after embolic stroke in rat. Brain Res 2009; 19:121-127.
18. Hossmann KA. Pathophysiology and therapy of experimental stroke. Cell Mol Neurobiol 2006; 26: 1057-1083.
19. Williams AJ, Berti R, Dave JR, Elliot PJ, Adams J, Tortella FC. Delayed treatment of ischemia/reperfusion brain injury: extended therapeutic window with the proteosome inhibitor MLN519. Stroke 2004; 35:1186-1191.
20. Alioglu B, Ozyurek E, Avci Z, Atalay B, Caner H, Ozbek N. Peripheral blood picture following mild head trauma in children. Pediatr Int 2008; 50:281-283.
21. Desjardins S, Belkai E, Crete D, Cordonnier L, Scherrmann JM, Noble F, et al. Effects of chronic morphine and morphine withdrawal on gene expression in rat peripheral blood mononuclear cells. Neuropharmacology 2008; 55:1347-1354.
22. Xiao H, Zhai DX, Yan BB, Wang JH, Xu WS, Wang GY, et al. A role for the parafascicular thalamic nucleus in the development of morphine dependence and withdrawal. Brain Res 2009; 28: 74-82.
23. Blokhina EA, Sukhotina IA, Bespalov AY. Pretreatment with morphine potentiates naloxone-conditioned place aversion in mice: effects of NMDA receptor antagonists. Eur J Pharmacol 2000; 406:227-232.
24. Giuliani D, Leone S, Mioni C, Bazzani C, Zaffe D, Botticelli AR, et al. Broad therapeutic treatment window of (Nle(4), D-Phe(7))alpha-melanocyte-stimulating hormone for long-lasting protection against ischemic stroke, in Mongolian gerbils. Eur J Pharmacol 2006; 538:48-56.
25. Kao TK, Ou YC, Liao SL, Chen WY, Wang CC, Chen SY, et al. Opioids modulate post-ischemic progression in a rat model of stroke. Neurochem Int 2008; 52:1256-1265.