1. Sakamoto M, Fujisawa Y, Nishioka K. Physiologic role of the complement system in host defense, disease, and malnutrition. Nutrition 1998; 14:391-398.
2. Amati L, Cirimele D, Pugliese V, Coveli V, Resta F, Jirillo E. Nutrition and immunity: laboratory and clinical aspects. Curr Pharm Des 2003; 9:1924-1931.
3. Marcos A, Nova E, Montero A. Changes in the immune system are conditioned by nutrition. Eur J Clin Nutr 2003; (Suppl 1):566-569.
4. Hulsewe KWE, van Acker BAC, von Meyenfeldt MF, Soeters PB. Nutritional depletion and dietary manipulation: effects on the immune response. World J Surg 1999; 23:536-544.
5. Calder PC, Kew S. The immune system: a target for functional foods? Br J Nutr 2002; (Suppl 2):5165-177.
6. Chandra RK. Nutrition and immune system from birth to old age. Eur J Clin Nutr 2002; (Suppl 3):573-576.
7. Chandra RK. Nutrition and the immune system: an introduction. Am J Clin Nutr 1997; 66:4605-4635.
8. Gibney MJ, Wolever TMS. Periodicity of eating and human health: present perspective and future directions. Br J Nutr 1997; 77(Suppl. 1):53-55.
9. Mann J. Meal frequency and plasma lipids and lipoproteins. Br J Nutr 1997; 77 (Suppl.1):583-590.
10. Jenkins DJA, Khan A, Jenkins AL, Illingworth R, Pappu AS, Wolever TMS et al. Effect of nibbling versus gorging on cardiovascular risk factors: serum uric acid and blood lipids. Metabolism 1995; 44:549-555.
11. Southgate DAT. Nibblers, gorgers, snackers and grazers. BMJ 1990; 300:136-137.
12. Palmblad J, Cantell K, Holm G, Norberg R, Strander H, Sunblad L. Acute energy deprivation in man: effect on serum immunoglobulins antibody response, complement factors 3 and 4, acute phase reactants and interferon-producing capacity of blood lymphocytes. Clin Exp Immunol 1977; 30:50-5.
13. Wing EJ, Stanko RT, Winkelstein A, Adibi SA. Fasting-enhanced immune effector mechanisms in obese subjects. Am J Med 1983; 75:91-96.
14. Weindruch R, Walford RL, Fligiel S, Guthrie D. The retardation of aging in mice by dietary restriction: longevity, cancer, immunity and lifetime energy intake. J Nutr 1986; 116:641-654.
15. Kelley DS, Daudu PA, Branch LB, Johnson HL, Taylor PC, Mackey B. Energy restriction decreases number of circulating natural killer cells and serum levels of immunoglobulins in overweight women. Eur J Clin Nutr 1994; 48:9-18.
16. Mizutani H, Engelman RW, Kurata Y, Ikehara S, Good RA. Energy restriction prevents and reverse immune thrombocytopenic purpura (ITP) and increases life span of ITP-prone (NZW x BXSB) F1 mice. J Nutr 1994; 124:2016-2023.
17. Kelley DS, Taylor PC, Johnson HL, Mackey BE. Energy restriction and immunocompetence in overweight women. Nutr Res 1998; 18:159-169.
18. Wing EJ, Magee MD, Braczynski LK. Acute starvation in mice reduces the number of T cells and suppresses the development of T-cell-mediated immunity. Immunol 1988; 63:677-682.
19. Savendahl L, Underwood LE. Decreased interleukin-2 production from cultured peripheral blood mononuclear cells in human acute starvation. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1997; 82:1177-1180.
20. Wing EJ, Barczynski LK. Effect of acute nutritional deprivation on immune function in mice. II. Response to sublethal radiation. Clin Immunol Immunopathol 1984; 30:479-487.
21. Cunningham-Rundles S, Ho Lin D. Nutrition and the immune system of the gut. Nutrition 1998; 14:573-579.