1. LoPachin RM. The changing view of acrylamide neurotoxicity. NeuroToxicol 2004; 25:617-630.
2. Claus A, Carle R, Schieber A. Acrylamide in cereal products: A review. J Cereal Sci 2008; 47:118-133.
3. LoPachin RM. Acrylamide neurotoxicity: Neuro-logical, morhological and molecular endpoints in animal models. Adv Exp Med Biol 2005; 561:21-37.
4. Shipp A, Lawrence G, Gentry R, McDonald T, Bartow H, Bounds J, et al. Acrylamide: Review of toxicity data and dose-response analyses for cancer and noncancer effects. Crit Rev Toxicol 2006;36:481-608.
5. Sayre LM, Perry G, Smith MA. Oxidative stress and neurotoxicity. Chem Res in Toxicol 2007; 21:172-188.
6. Zhu YJ, Zeng T, Zhu YB, Yu SF, Wang QS, Zhang LP, et al. Effects of acrylamide on the nervous tissue antioxidant system and sciatic nerve electrophysiology in the rat. Neurochem Res 2008; 33:2310-2317.
7. Mehri S, Meshki MA, Hosseinzadeh H. Linalool as a neuroprotective agent against acrylamide-induced neurotoxicity in Wistar rats. Drug Chem Toxicol 2014; 21:1-5.
8. Yousef MI, El-Demerdash FM. Acrylamide-induced oxidative stress and biochemical perturbations in rats. Toxicology 2006; 219:133-141.
9. Lakshmi D, Gopinath K, Jayanthy G, Anjum S, Prakash D, Sudhandiran G. Ameliorating effect of fish oil on acrylamide induced oxidative stress and neuronal apoptosis in cerebral cortex. Neurochem Res 2012; 37:1859-1867.
10. Mehri S, Abnous K, Mousavi S, Shariaty V, Hosseinzadeh H. Neuroprotective effect of crocin on acrylamide-induced cytotoxicity in PC12 cells. Cell Mol Neurobiol 2012; 32:227-235.
11. Alavizadeh SH, Hosseinzadeh H. Bioactivity assessment and toxicity of crocin: A comprehensive review. Food Chem Toxicol 2014; 64:65-80.
12. Hosseinzadeh H, Nassiri-Asl M. Avicenna's (Ibn Sina) the Canon of Medicine and saffron (Crocus sativus): a review. Phytother Res. 2013; 27:475 - 483.
13. Abdullaev FI, Espinosa-Aguirre JJ. Biomedical properties of saffron and its potential use in cancer therapy and chemoprevention trials. Cancer Det Prev 2004; 28:426-432.
14. Assimopoulou AN, Sinakos Z, Papageorgiou VP. Radical scavenging activity of Crocus sativus L. extract and its bioactive constituents. Phytother Res 2005; 19:997-1000.
15. Hosseinzadeh H, Karimi G, Niapoor M. Antidepressant effects of Crocus sativus stigma extracts and its constituents, crocin and safranal, in mice. J Med Plants 2004; 3:48-58.
16. Vahdati Hassani F, Naseri V, Razavi B, Mehri S, Abnous K, Hosseinzadeh H. Antidepressant effects of crocin and its effects on transcript and protein levels of CREB, BDNF, and VGF in rat hippocampus. DARU 2014; 22:16.
17. Moshiri M, Vahabzadeh M, Hosseinzadeh H. Clinical applications of saffron (Crocus sativus) and its constituents: a review. Drug Res 2015; 65:287-95.
18. Hosseinzadeh H, Ziaei T. Effects of Crocus sativus stigma extract and its constituents, crocin and safranal, on intact memory and scopolamine-induced learning deficits in rats performing the Morris water maze task. J Med Plants 2006; 5:40-50.
19. Hosseinzadeh H, Talebzadeh F. Anticonvulsant evaluation of safranal and crocin from Crocus sativus in mice. Fitoterapia 2005;76:722-724.
20. Hosseinzadeh H, Sadeghnia HR. Protective effect of safranal on pentylenetetrazol-induced seizures in the rat: Involvement of GABAergic and opioids systems. Phytomedicine 2007;14:256-562.
21.Hosseinzadeh H, Shariaty VM. Anti-nociceptive effect of safranal, a constituent of Crocus sativus (saffron), in mice. Pharmacologyonline 2007; 2:498-503.
22. Amin B, Hosseinzadeh H. Evaluation of aqueous and ethanolic extracts of saffron, Crocus sativus L., and its constituents, safranal and crocin in allodynia and hyperalgesia induced by chronic constriction injury model of neuropathic pain in rats. Fitoterapia 2012; 83:888-895.
23. Mousavi SH, Tayarani NZ, Parsaee H. Protective effect of saffron extract and crocin on reactive oxygen species-mediated high glucose-induced toxicity in PC12 cells. Cell Mol Neurobiol 2010; 30:185-191.
24. Imenshahidi M, Hosseinzadeh H, Javadpour Y. Hypotensive effect of aqueous saffron extract (Crocus sativus L.) and its constituents, safranal and crocin, in normotensive and hypertensive rats. Phytother Res 2010; 24:990-994.
25. Hosseinzadeh H, Noraei NB. Anxiolytic and hypnotic effect of Crocus sativus aqueous extract and its constituents, crocin and safranal, in mice. Phytother Res 2009; 23:768-774.
26. Rezaee R, Hosseinzadeh H. Safranal: From an aromatic natural product to a rewarding pharmacological agent. Iran J Basic Med Sci 2013; 16:12-26.
27. Mehdizadeh R, Parizadeh MR, Khooei A-R, Mehri S, Hosseinzadeh H. Cardioprotective Effect of Saffron Extract and Safranal in Isoproterenol-Induced Myocardial Infarction in Wistar Rats. Iran J Basic Med Sci 2013; 16:56-63.
28. Hosseinzadeh H, Sadeghnia HR, Ziaee T, Danaee A. Protective effect of aqueous saffron extract (Crocus sativus L.) and crocin, its active constituent, on renal ischemia-reperfusion-induced oxidative damage in rats. J Pharm Pharm Sci 2005; 8:387-393.
29. Hosseinzadeh H, Modaghegh MH, Saffari Z. Crocus sativus L. (saffron) extract and its active constituents (crocin and safranal) on ischemia-reperfusion in rat skeletal muscle. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 2009; 6:343-350.
30. Ochiai T, Ohno S, Soeda S, Tanaka H, Shoyama Y, Shimeno H. Crocin prevents the death of rat pheochromyctoma (PC-12) cells by its antioxidant effects stronger than those of α±tocopherol. Neurosci Lett 2004; 362:61-64.
31. Ochiai T, Soeda S, Ohno S, Tanaka H, Shoyama Y, Shimeno H. Crocin prevents the death of PC-12 cells through sphingomyelinase-ceramide signaling by increasing glutathione synthesis. Neurochem Int 2004; 44:321-330.
32. Hariri AT, Moallem SA, Mahmoudi M, Memar B, Hosseinzadeh H. Sub-acute effects of diazinon on biochemical indices and specific biomarkers in rats: Protective effects of crocin and safranal. Food Chem Toxicol 2010; 48:2803-2808.
33. Hariri AT, Moallem SA, Mahmoudi M, Hosseinzadeh H. The effect of crocin and safranal, constituents of saffron, against subacute effect of diazinon on hematological and genotoxicity indices in rats. Phytomedicine 2011;18:499-504.
34. Hadizadeh F, Mohajeri S, Seifi M. Extraction and purification of crocin from saffron stigmas employing a simple and efficient crystallization method. Pak J Biol Sci 2010; 13:691-698.
35. Shukla PK, Khanna VK, Ali MM, Maurya RR, Handa SS, Srimal RC. Protective effect of Acorus calamus against acrylamide induced neurotoxicity. Phytother Res 2002; 16:256-260.
36. LoPachin RM, Ross JF, Reid ML, Das S, Mansukhani S, Lehning EJ. Neurological evaluation of toxic axonopathies in rats: Acrylamide and 2,5-hexanedione. NeuroToxicol 2002; 23:95-110.
37. Razavi M, Hosseinzadeh H, Abnous K. Sadat Motamedahariaty V, Imenshahidi M. Crocin restores hypotensive effect of subchronic administration of diazinon in rats. Iran J Basic Med Sci 2012; 16:64 - 72.
38. Uchiyama M, Mihara M. Determination of malonaldehyde precursor in tissues by thiobarbituric acid test. Anal Biochem 1978; 86:271-278.
39. Moron MS, Depierre JW, Mannervik B. Levels of glutathione, glutathione reductase and glutathione S-transferase activities in rat lung and liver. Biochim Biophys Acta 1979; 582:67-78.
40. Wu G, Fang YZ, Yang S, Lupton JR, Turner ND. Glutathione metabolism and its implications for health. J Nutr 2004; 134:489-492.
41. Tong GC, Cornwell WK, Means GE. Reactions of acrylamide with glutathione and serum albumin. Toxicol Lett 2004; 147:127-131.
42. Awad ME, Abdel-Rahman MS, Hassan SA. Acrylamide toxicity in isolated rat hepatocytes. Toxicol In Vitro 1998; 12:699-704.
43. Friedman M. Chemistry, biochemistry, and safety of acrylamide. A review. J Agric Food Chem 2003; 51:4504-4526.
44. Alturfan AA, Tozan-Beceren A, Sehirli AO, Demiralp E, Sener G, Omurtag GZ. Resveratrol ameliorates oxidative DNA damage and protects against acrylamide-induced oxidative stress in rats. Mol Biol Rep 2012; 39:4589-4596.
45. Mehri S, Shahi M, Razavi B, Vahdati Hassani F, Hosseinzadeh H. Neuroprotective effect of thymo-quinone in acrylamide-induced neurotoxicity in Wistar rats. Iran J Basic Med Sci 2014; 17:1007-1011.
46. Zheng YQ, Liu JX, Wang JN, Xu L. Effects of crocin on reperfusion-induced oxidative/nitrative injury to cerebral microvessels after global cerebral ischemia. Brain Res 2007; 1138:86-94.
47. Onem G, Aral E, Enli Y, Oguz EO, Coskun E, Aybek H, et al. Neuroprotective effects of l-carnitine and vitamin E alone or in combination against ischemia-reperfusion injury in rats. J Surg Res 2006; 131:124-130.
48. Jin DP, Li C, Cong Y, Yang H, Zhang WX, Guan W, et al. Inhibitory effects of vitamin E on UVB-induced apoptosis of chicken embryonic fibroblasts. Cell Biol Inte 2011; 35:381-389.