1. Leonard BE. The immune system, depression and the action of antidepressants. ProgNeuropsycho-pharmacol Biol Psychiatry. 2001; 25:767–80.
2. Castanon N, Leonard BE, Neveu PJ, Yirmiya R. Effects of antidepressants on cytokine production and actions. Brain Behav Immun. 2002; 16:569–74.
3. Albelda SM, Smith CW, Ward PA. Adhesion molecules and inflammatory injury. FASEB J. 1994; 8:504–12.
4. Sadeghi H, Hajhashemi V, Minaiyan M, Movahedian A, Talebi A. Further studies on anti-inflammatory activity of maprotiline in carrageenan-induced paw edema in rat. Int Immunopharmacol. 2013; 15:505–10.
5. Morham SG, Langenbach R, Loftin CD, Tiano HF, Vouloumanos N, Jennette JC, et al. Prostaglandin synthase 2 gene disruption causes severe renal pathology in the mouse. Cell. 1995; 83:473–82.
6. Barrios-Rodiles M, Chadee K. Novel regulation of cyclooxygenase-2 expression and prostaglandin E2 production by IFN-gamma in human macrophages. J Immunol. 1998; 161:2441–8.
7. Pober JS, Sessa WC. Evolving functions of endothelial cells in inflammation. Nat Rev Immunol. 2007; 7:803–15.
8. Hajhashemi V, Minaiyan M, Eftekhari M. Anti-inflammatory activity of a selection of antidepressant drugs. Iran J Pharm Sci 2008; 4:225–30.
9. Mossman BT, Jean L, Landesman JM. Studies using lectins to determine mineral interactions with cellular membranes. Environ Health Perspect. 1983; 51:23–5.
10. WINTER CA, RISLEY EA, NUSS GW. Carrageenin-induced edema in hind paw of the rat as an assay for antiiflammatory drugs. Proc Soc Exp Biol Med. 1962; 111:544–7.
11. Hajhashemi V, Sadeghi H, Minaiyan M, Movahedian A, Talebi A. Effect of fluvoxamine on carrageenan-induced paw edema in rats evaluation of the action sites. Iran J Pharm Res 2011; 10:611–8.
12. Livak KJ, Schmittgen TD. Analysis of relative gene expression data using real-time quantitative PCR and the 2(-Delta Delta C(T)) Method. Methods 2001; 25:402–8.
13. Muller WA. Leukocyte-endothelial-cell interactions in leukocyte transmigration and the inflammatory response. Trends Immunol. 2003; 24:327–34.
14. Li H, Cybulsky MI, Gimbrone MA, Libby P. Inducible expression of vascular cell adhesion molecule-1 by vascular smooth muscle cells in vitro and within rabbit atheroma. Am J Pathol 1993; 143:1551–9.
15. Lekakis J, Ikonomidis I, Papoutsi Z, Moutsatsou P, Nikolaou M, Parissis J, et al. Selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitors decrease the cytokine-induced endothelial adhesion molecule expression, the endothelial adhesiveness to monocytes and the circulating levels of vascular adhesion molecules. Int J Cardiol 2010; 139:150–8.
16. Barkan T, Gurwitz D, Levy G, Weizman A, Rehavi M. Biochemical and pharmacological characterization of the serotonin transporter in human peripheral blood lymphocytes. Eur Neuropsychopharmacol. 2004; 14:237–43.
17. Fazzino F, Montes C, Urbina M, Carreira I, Lima L. Serotonin transporter is differentially localized in subpopulations of lymphocytes of major depression patients. Effect of fluoxetine on proliferation. J Neuroimmunol. 2008; 196:173–80.
18. Faraj BA, Olkowski ZL, Jackson RT. Expression of a high-affinity serotonin transporter in human lymphocytes. Int J Immunopharmacol. 1994; 16:561–7.
19. Urbina M, Pineda S, Piñango L, Carreira I, Lima L. [3H]Paroxetine binding to human peripheral lymphocyte membranes of patients with major depression before and after treatment with fluoxetine. Int J Immunopharmacol. 1999; 21:631–46.
20. Finocchiaro LM, Arzt ES, Fernández-Castelo S, Criscuolo M, Finkielman S, Nahmod VE. Serotonin and melatonin synthesis in peripheral blood mononuclear cells: stimulation by interferon-gamma as part of an immunomodulatory pathway. J Interferon Res. 1988; 8:705–16.
21. Taler M, Gil-Ad I, Lomnitski L, Korov I, Baharav E, Bar M, et al. Immunomodulatory effect of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) on human T lymphocyte function and gene expression. Eur Neuropsychopharmacol 2007; 17:774–80.
22. Diamond M, Kelly JP, Connor TJ. Antidepressants suppress production of the Th1 cytokine interferon-gamma, independent of monoamine transporter blockade. Eur Neuropsychopharmacol 2006; 16:481–90.
23. Hashioka S, Klegeris A, Monji A, Kato T, Sawada M, McGeer PL, et al. Antidepressants inhibit interferon-gamma-induced microglial production of IL-6 and nitric oxide. Exp Neurol 2007; 206:33–42.
24. Tynan RJ, Weidenhofer J, Hinwood M, Cairns MJ, Day TA, Walker FR. A comparative examination of the anti-inflammatory effects of SSRI and SNRI antidepressants on LPS stimulated microglia. Brain Behav Immun. 2012; 26:469–79.
25. Baeuerle PA, Baltimore D. NF-kappa B: ten years after. Cell 1996; 87:13–20.
26. Lee J-K, Choi S-S, Won J-S, Suh H-W. The regulation of inducible nitric oxide synthase gene expression induced by lipopolysaccharide and tumor necrosis factor-alpha in C6 cells: involvement of AP-1 and NFkappaB. Life Sci 2003; 73:595–609.
27. Yamamoto Y, Gaynor RB. IkappaB kinases: key regulators of the NF-kappaB pathway. Trends Biochem Sci. 2004; 29:72–9.
28. Sawa Y, Sugimoto Y, Ueki T, Ishikawa H, Sato A, Nagato T, et al. Effects of TNF-alpha on leukocyte adhesion molecule expressions in cultured human lymphatic endothelium. J Histochem Cytochem. 2007; 55:721–33.
29. Castro-Caldas M, Mendes AF, Carvalho AP, Duarte CB, Lopes MC. Dexamethasone prevents interleukin-1beta-induced nuclear factor-kappaB activation by
upregulating IkappaB-alpha synthesis, in lymphoblastic cells. Mediators Inflamm. 2003; 12: 37-46.
30. Di Rosa M, Giroud JP, Willoughby DA. Studies on the mediators of the acute inflammatory response induced in rats in different sites by carrageenan and turpentine. J Pathol. 1971; 104:15–29.
31. Gilligan JP, Lovato SJ, Erion MD, Jeng AY. Modulation of carrageenan-induced hind paw edema by substance P. Inflammation 1994; 18:285–92.
32. Gilroy DW, Lawrence T, Perretti M, Rossi AG. Inflammatory resolution: new opportunities for drug discovery. Nat Rev Drug Discov 2004; 3:401–16.
33. Gil-Ad I, Zolokov A, Lomnitski L, Taler M, Bar M, Luria D, et al. Evaluation of the potential anti-cancer activity of the antidepressant sertraline in human colon cancer cell lines and in colorectal cancer-xenografted mice. Int J Oncol 2008; 33:277–86.