. Broersen LM, Heinsbroek RPW, de Bruin, JPC, Olivier B. Effects of local application of dopaminergic drugs into the medical prefrontal cortex of rats on latent inhibition. Biol Psychiatry 1996; 40:1083-1090.
. Goldstein M, Deutch AY. Dopaminergic mechanisms in the pathogenesis of schizophrenia. FASEB J 1992; 6:2413-2421.
. Murphy BL, Arnsten AFT, Goldman-Rakic PS, Roth RH. Increased dopamine turnover in the prefrontal cortex impairs spatial working memory performance in rats and monkeys. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 1996; 93:1325-1329.
. Tzschentke TM. Pharmacology and behavioral pharmacology of the mesocortical dopamine system. Prog Neurobiol 2001; 63:241-320.
. Henze DA, Gonzalez-Burgos GR, Urban NN, Lewis DA, Barrionuevo G. Dopamine increases excitability of pyramidal neurons in primate prefrontal cortex. J Neurophysiol 2000; 84:2799-2809.
. Phillips AG, Ahn S, Floresco SB. Magnitude of dopamine release in medial prefrontal cortex predicts accuracy of memory on a delayed response task. J Neurosci 2004; 24:547–553.
. Seamans JK, Yang CR. The principal features and mechanisms of dopamine modulation in the prefrontal cortex. Prog Neurobiol 2004; 74:1–57.
. Heidbreder CA, Groenewegen HJ. The medial prefrontal cortex in the rat: evidence for a dorso-Ventral distinction based upon functional and anatomical characteristics. Neurosci Biobehav Rev 2003; 27:555-579.
. Marcotte ER, Pearson DM, Srivastava LK. Animal model of schizophrenia: a critical review. J Psychiatry Neurosci 2001; 26:395-410.
. Hedou G, Homberg J, Feldon J, Heidbreder CA. Expression of sensitization to amphetamineand dynamics of dopamine neurotransmission in different laminae of the rat medial prefrontal Cortex. Neuropharmacology 2001; 40:366-382.
. Tzschentke TM, Schmidt WJ. Functional heterogeneity of the rat medial prefrontal cortex: effects of discrete subarea-specific lesions on drug induced conditioned place preference and behavioural sensitization. Eur J Neurosci 1999; 11:4099-4109.
. Bassareo V, Di Chiara G. Differential responsiveness of dopamine transmission to food-stimuli in nucleus accumbens shell/core compartments. Neuroscience 1999; 89:637-641.
. Charara A, Grace AA. Dopamine receptor subtypes selectively modulate excitatory afferents from the hippocampus and amygdala to rat nucleus accumbens neurons. Neuropsychopharmacology 2003; 28:1412–1421.
. Di Chiara G, Imperato A. Drugs abused by humans preferentially increase synaptic dopamine concentrations in the mesolimbic system of freely moving rats. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 1998; 85:5274-5278.
. Narita M, Takagi M, Aoki K, Kuzumaki N, Suzuki T. Implication of Rho-associated kinase in the elevation of extracellular dopamine levels and its related behaviors induced by methamphetamine in rats. J Neurochem 2003; 86:273-282.
. Ventura R, Cabib S, Alcaro A, Orsini C, Puglisi-Allegra S. Norepinephrine in the prefrontal cortex is critical for amphetamine-induced reward and mesoaccumbens dopamine release. J Neurosci 2003; 23:1879–1885.
. You ZB, Tzschentke TM, Brodin E, Wise RA. Electrical stimulation of the prefrontal cortex increases cholecystokinin, glutamate, and dopamine release in the nucleus accumbens: an in vivo microdialysis study in freely moving rats. J Neurosci 1998; 18:6492–6500.
. Hosseini M, Alaei H A, Eslamizade MJ, Saffarzade F. Effect of morphine self-administration on water and food intake in rat. Iran J Basic Med Sci 7002; 10:169-175.
. Ananth J, Burgoyne KS, Gadasalli R, Aquino S. How do the atypical antipsychotics work?. J Psychiatry Neurosci 2001; 26:385-394.
. Heidbreder C, Feldon J. Amphetamine-induced neurochemical and locomotor responses are expressed differentially across the anteroposterior axis of the core and shell subterritories of the nucleus accumbens. Synapse 1998; 29:310-322.
. Sellings LHL, Clarke PBS. Segregation of amphetamine reward and locomotor stimulation between nucleus accumbens medial shell and core. J Neurosci 2003; 23:6295-6303. Nucleus Accumbens and Infralimbic Relationship Alimoradian A et al
Iran J Basic Med Sci, Vol. 16, No. 6, Jun 2013
. Karreman M, Moghaddam B, The prefrontal cortex regulates the basal release of dopamine in the limbic striatum: an effect mediated by ventral tegmental area. J Neurochem 1996; 66:589-598.
. Alimoradian A, Baha-aldini Beigy F, Sajedianfard J, Panjehshahin MR. The study of apomorphine effects and heterogeneity in the medial prefrontal cortex on dopaminergic behaviors of rats. Iran J Basic Med Sci 2009; 11:205-214.
. Sajedianfard J, Khatami S, Semnanian S, Naghdi N, Jorjani M. In vivo measurement of noradrenaline in the locus coeruleus of rats during the formalin test: A microdialysis study. Eur J Pharmacol 2005; 512:153-156.
. Sharp T, Zetterstrom T. In vivo measurement of monoamine neurotransmitter release using brain microdialysis. In: Stampford JA. editor), Monitoring neuronal activity: A practical approach. London: Oxford University Press; 1992.p.147-179.
26. Beyer CE, Steketee JD. Intra-medial prefrontal cortex injection of quinpirole, but not SKF 38393, blocks the acute motor-stimulant response to cocaine in the rat. Psychopharmacology 2000; 151:211-218.
27. Chen NNH, Pan WHT. Regulatory effects of D2 receptors in the ventral tegmental area on the mesocorticolimbic dopaminergic pathway. J Neurochem 2000; 74:2576–2582.
28. Ichikawa J, Meltzer HY. R(+)-8-OH-DPAT, a serotonin
1A receptor agonist, potentiated S(-)-sulpiride-induced dopamine release in rat medial prefrontal cortex and nucleus accumbens but not striatum. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 1999; 291:1227-1232.
29. Jackson ME, Moghaddam B. Amygdala regulation of nucleus accumbens dopamine output is governed by the prefrontal cortex. J Neurosci 2001; 21:676-681.
30. Klitenick MA, Taber MT, Fibiger HC. Effects of chronic haloperidol on stress-and stinulation-induced increases in dopamine release: tests of the depolarization block hypothesis. Neuropsychopharmacology 1996; 15:424-428.
31. Taber MT, Das S, Fibiger HC. Cortical regulation of subcortical dopamine release: mediation via the ventral tegmental area. J Neurochem 1995; 65:1407-1410.
32. Tolu P, Masi F, Leggio B, Scheggi S, Tagliamonte A, De Montis MG, et al. Effects of long-term acetyl-L-carnitine administration in rats: I. increased dopamine output in mesocorticolimbic areas and protection toward acute stress exposure. Neuropsychopharmacology 2002; 27:410-420.
33. Paxinos G, Watson C. The rat brain in stereotaxic coordinates. 3rd ed. New York: Academic Press; 1997.
34 .Ventura R, Alcaro A, Mandolesi L, Puglisi-Allegra S. In vivo evidence that genetic background controls impulse-dependent dopamine release induced by amphetamine in the nucleus accumbens. J Neurochem 2004; 89:494–502.
35. Amanlou M, Siadat SD, Norouzian D, Aghasadeghi MR, Fathi-Moghaddam H, Piryaei M, et al .Effect of dexamethasone on striatal neurotransmissions in the rats subjected to parkinson’s disease animal model. Iran J Basic Med Sci 2011; 14:107-115.
36. Balla A, Sershen H, Serra M, Koneru R, Javitt DC. Subchronic continuous phencyclidine administration potentiates amphetamine-induced frontal cortex dopamine release. Neuropsychopharmacology 2003; 28:34–44.
37. Ventura R, Alcaro A, Cabib S, Conversi D, Mandolesi L, Puglisi-Allegra S. Dopamine in the medial prefrontal cortex controls genotype-dependent effects of amphetamine on mesoaccumbens dopamine release and locomotion. Neuropsychopharmacology 2004; 29:72–80.
38. Azizi Malekabadi H, Alaei H, Oryan S. The effect of exercise (Treadmill running) on glutamate concentration variation of hippocampal dentate gyrus in the intact and morphine dependent male rats.Iran J Basic Med Sci 2007; 9:250-259.
39. Kosowski AR, Liljequist S. The NR2B-selective N-Methyl-D-aspartate receptor antagonist Ro 25-6981 [(+)-(R*,S*)-α-(4-Hydroxyphenyl)-β-methyl-4-phenylmethyl)-1-piperidine Propanol] potentiates the effect of nicotine on locomotor activity and dopamine release in the nucleus accumbens. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 2004; 311:560-567.
40. Lindblom J, Opmane B, Mutulis F, Mutule I, Petrovska R, Klusa V, et al. The MC4 receptor mediates α-MSH induced release of nucleus accumbens dopamine. Neuroreport 2001; 12:2155-2158.
41. Barrot M, Marinelli M, Abrous DN, Rougé-Pont F, Le Moal M, Piazza PV. Functional heterogeneity in dopamine release and in the expression of Fos-like proteins within the rat striatal complex. Eur J Neurosci 1999; 11:1155-1166.
. King D, Finlay JM. Loss of dopamine terminals in the medial prefrontal cortex increased the ratio of DOPAC to DA in tissue of the nucleus accumbens shell: role of stress. Brain Res 1997; 767:192-200.
. Ongur D, Price JL. The organization of networks within the orbital and medial prefrontal cortex of Rats, monkeys and humans. Cereb Cortex 2000; 10:206-219.
. Porrino LJ, Lyons D. Orbital and medial prefrontal cortex and psychostimulant abuse: studies in animal models. Cereb Cortex 2000; 10:326-333.
. Sharp T, Zetterstrom T, Ljungberg T, Ungerstedt U. A direct comparasion of amphetamine-induced behaviours and regional brain dopamine release in the rat using intracerebral dialysis. Brain Res 1987; 401:322-330.
. Gray JA. Integrating Schizophrenia. Schizophr Bull 1998; 24:249-266.
. Hedou G, Feldon J, Heidbreder CA. Effects of cocaine on dopamine in subregions of the rat prefrontal cortex and their efferents to subterriotories of the nucleus accumbens. Eur J Pharmacol 1999; 372 (2): 143-155.
48. Fetsko LA, Xu R, Wang Y. Alterations in D1/D2 synergism may account for enhanced stereotypy and reduced climbing in mice lacking dopamine D2L receptor. Brain Res 2003; 967:191–200.
49. Presti MF, Gibney BC, Lewis MH. Effects of intrastriatal administration of selective dopaminergic ligands on spontaneous stereotypy in mice. Physiol Behav 2004; 80:433– 439.
50. Feenstra MGP, Botterbiom MHA, van Uum JFM. Local activation of metabotropic glutamate receptors inhibits the handling-induced increased release of dopamine in the nucleus accumbens but not that of dopamine or noradrenaline in the prefrontal cortex: comparison with inhibition of ionotropic receptors. J Neurochem 1998; 70:1104-1113.
51. del Arco A, Mora F. Glutamate-dopamine in vivo interaction in the prefrontal cortex modulates the release of dopamine and acetylcholine in the nucleus
Alimoradian A et al Nucleus Accumbens and Infralimbic Relationship
Iran J Basic Med Sci, Vol. 16, No. 6, Jun 2013
accumbens of the awake rat. J Neural Transm 2005; 112:97–109.
52. Grobin AC, Deutch AY. Dopaminergic regulation of extracellular γ- Aminobutyric Acid levels in the prefrontal cortex of the rat. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 1998; 285:350-357.
53. Jackson ME, Frost AS, Moghaddam B. Stimulation of prefrontal cortex at physiologically relevant frequencies inhibits dopamine release in the nucleus accumbens. J Neurochem 2001; 78:920-923.
54. Matsumoto M, Kanno M, Togashi H, Ueno K, Otani H, Mano Y, et al. Involvement of GABA-A receptors in the regulation of the prefrontal cortex on dopamine release in the rat dorsolateral striatum. Eur J Pharmacol 2003; 482:177–184.
55. Mitchell JB, Gratton A. Partial dopamine depletion of the prefrontal cortex leads to enhanced mesolimbic dopamine release elicited by repeated exposure to naturally reinforcing stimuli. J Neurosci 1992; 12:3609-3618.
56. Sorg BA, Li NA, Wu WR. Dopamine D1 receptor activation in the medial prefrontal cortex prevents the expression of cocaine sensitization. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 2001; 297:501-508.
57. Zavitsanou K, Cranney J, Richardson R. Dopamine antagonists in the orbital prefrontal cortex reduce prepulse inhibition of the acoustic startle reflex in the rat. Pharmacol Biochem Behav 1999; 63:55-61.
58. Doherty MD, Gratton A. Medial prefrontal cortical D
1 receptor modulation of the meso-accumbens dopamine response to stress: an electrochemical study in freely-behaving rats. Brain Res 1996; 715:86-97.
59. King D, Zigmond MJ, Finlay JM. Effects of dopamine depletion in the medial prefrontal cortex on the stress-induced increase in extracellular dopamine in the nucleus accumbens core and shell. Neuroscience 1997; 77:143-153.
60. Carr DB, Sesack SR. Projections from the rat prefrontal cortex to the ventral tegmental area: target specificity in the synaptic associations with mesoaccumbens and mesocortical neurons. J Neurosci 2000; 20:3864–3873.
61. Thompson TL, Moss RL. In vivo stimulated dopamine release in the nucleus accumbens: modulation by the prefrontal cortex. Brain Res 1995; 686:93-98.
62. Zhu ZT, Wu WR, Fu Y, Jin GZ. I-stepholidine facilitates inhibition of mPFC DA receptors on subcortical NAc DA release. Acta Pharmacol Sin 2000; 21:663-667.
63. Deutch AY. The regulation of subcortical dopamine systems by the prefrontal cortex: interactions of central dopamine systems and the pathogenesis of schizophrenia. J Neural Transm Suppl 1992; 36:61-89.
64. Deutch AY, Clark WA, Roth RH. Prefrontal cortical dopamine depletion enhances the responsiveness of mesolimbic dopamine neurons to stress. Brain Res 1990; 52:311-315.