1. Li Z, Geng YN, Jiang JD, Kong WJ. Antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activities of berberine in the treatment of diabetes mellitus. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 2014; 2014:289264.
2. Bresgen N, Eckl PM. Oxidative stress and the homeodynamics of iron metabolism. Biomolecules 2015; 5:808-847.
3. Poprac P, Jomova K, Simunkova M, Kollar V, Rhodes CJ, Valko M. Targeting free radicals in oxidative stress-related human diseases. Trends Pharmacol Sci 2017; 38:592-607.
4. Papanastasiou DA, Vayenas DV, Vassilopoulos A, Repanti M. Concentration of iron and distribution of iron and transferrin afterexperimental iron overload in rat tissues in vivo: study of the liver,the spleen, the central nervous system and other organs. Pathol ResPract 2000; 1:47-54.
5. Anderson GJ, Frazer DM. Hepatic iron metabolism. Semin Liver Dis 2005; 25:420-432.
6. Halliwell B, Gutteridge JM. Role of free radicals and catalytic metal ions in human disease: an overview. Methods Enzymol 1990; 186:1-85.
7. Zager RA, Johnson ACM, Hanson SY. Parenteral iron nephrotoxicity: potential mechanisms and consequences. Kidney Int 2004; 66:144-156.
8. Madhusudhan KS, Oberoi R. Renal iron deposition in aplastic ane-mia: magnetic resonance imaging appearance. Indian J Nephrol 2011; 21:134-135.
9. Zarjou A, Bolisetty S, Joseph R, Traylor A, Apostolov EO, Arosio P, et al. Proximal tubule H-ferritin mediates iron trafficking in acute kidney injury. J Clin Invest 2013; 123:4423-4434.
10. Baliga R, Zhang Z, Baliga M, Ueda N, Shah SV. In vitro and in vivo evidence suggesting a role for iron in cisplatin-induced nephrotoxicity. Kidney Int 1998; 53:394–401.
11. de Vries B, Walter SJ, von Bonsdorff L, Wolfs TG, van Heurn LW, Parkkinen J, et al. Reduction of circulating redox-active iron by apotransferrin protects against renal ischemia-reperfusion injury. . Transplantation 2004; 77: 669–675.
12. Yeşilada E, Küpeli E. Berberis crataegina DC. root exhibits potent anti-inflammatory, analgesic and febrifuge effects in mice and rats. J Ethnopharmacol 2002; 79:237-248.
13. Li H, Dong B, Park SW, Lee HS, Chen W, Liu J. Hepatocyte nuclear factor 1alpha plays a critical role in PCSK9 gene transcription and regulation by the natural hypocholesterolemic compound berberine. J Biol Chem 2009; 284:28885-28895.
14. Abdel-Rahman M, Moawad Mahmoud A, Bastawy N, Eissa H. Anti-hyperlipidemic and myocardial enhancing effects of berberine in high fat diet/streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats; Possible role of adiponectin. Nutri Food Sci Int J 2016; 2:1-7.
15. Abd El-Wahab AE, Ghareeb DA, Sarhan EE, Abu-Serie MM, El Demellawy MA. In vitro biological assessment of Berberis vulgaris and its active constituent, berberine: antioxidants, anti-acetylcholinesterase, anti-diabetic and anticancer effects. BMC Complement Altern Med 2013; 13:218.
16. Heath R, Packer L. Photoperoxidation in isolated chloroplast.I. Kinetics and stoichiometry of fatty acid peroxidation. J Biochem Biophs 1986; 125:189-190.
17. Pawar N, Nimbalkar V, Gaikvad P. Hepatoprotective activity of a polyherbal mixture in ferrous sulphate and ethanol induced hepatotoxicity experimental animals. Der Pharmacia Sinica 2012; 3:594-597.
18. Shirwaikar A, Shirwaikar A, Rajendran K, Punitha IS. In vitro antioxidant studies on the benzyl tetra isoquinoline alkaloid berberine. Biol Pharm Bull 2006; 29:1906-1910.
19. Sowmya A, Nagarajan V. Hepatoprotective potential of Azima tetracantha and Tribulus terrestris on ferrous sulfate-induced toxicity in rat. RJPBCS 2014; 5:380-387.
20. Shrayyef MZ, Gerich JE. Normal glucose homeostasis. In: Poretsky L, editor. Principles of Diabetes mellitus: Springer; 2010. p. 19-35.
21. Pingale S, Patil V, Patil S, Sangle D. Study of carbohydrate metabolism in severe acute malnutrition and correlations of weight and height with pp-sugar and BMI. IJTRA 2015; 3:334-342.
22. Yin J, Gao Z, Liu D, Liu Z, Ye J. Berberine improves glucose metabolism through induction of glycolysis. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 2008; 294:E148–E156.
23. Oboh G, Akinyemi AJ, Ademiluyi AO. Antioxidant and inhibitory effect of red ginger (Zingiber officinale var. Rubra) and white ginger (Zingiber officinale Roscoe) on Fe(2+) induced lipid peroxidation in rat brain in vitro. Exp Toxicol Pathol 2012; 64:31-36.
24. Czaja MJ. Induction and regulation of hepatocyte apoptosis by oxidative stress. Antioxid Redox Signal 2004; 4:759-767.
25. Ghareeb DA, Khalil S, Hafez HS, Bajorath J, Ahmed HE, Sarhan E, et al. Berberine reduces neurotoxicity related to nonalcoholic steatohepatitis in rats. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 2015; 2015:361847.
26. Kojima R, Randall JD, Ito E, Manshio H, Suzuki Y, Gullans SR. Regulation of expression of the stress response gene, Osp94 : identification of the tonicity response element and intracellular signalling pathways. Biochem J 2004; 380:783-794.
27. Kong W, Wei J, Abidi P, Lin M, Inaba S, Li C, et al. Berberine is a novel cholesterol-lowering drug working through a uniqe mechanism distinc from statins. 2004; 10:1344-1351.
28. Brusq JM, Pascal Grondin NA, Guillard R, Martin S, Saintillan Y, Issandou M. Inhibition of lipid synthesis through activation of AMP kinase: an additional mechanism for the hypolipidemic effects of berberine. J Lipid Res 2006; 47:1281-1288.
29. Pari L, Asaithambi K, Paramasivam K, Ayyasamy R. Protective effects of hesperidin on oxidative stress,dyslipidaemia and histological changes in iron-inducedhepatic and renal toxicity in rats. Toxicol Rep 2015; 2:46-55.
30. Harper HA, Rodwell VW, Mayes PA, Cochrum KC, Grodsky GM, Martin DWJ, et al. Review of physiological chemistry. 17th ed ed. Los Altos, California, USA Lange Medical Publications; 1979.
31. Zhou JY, Zhou SW. Protective effect of berberine on antioxidant enzymes and positive transcription elongation factor b expression in diabetic rat liver. Fitoterapia 2011; 82:184-189.
32. Domitrovic R, Cvijanovic O, Pernjak-Pugel E, Skoda M, Mikelic L, Crncevic-Orlic Z. Berberine exerts nephroprotective effect against cisplatin-induced kidney damage through inhibition of oxidative/nitrosative stress, inflammation, autophagy and apoptosis. Food Chem Toxicol 2013; 62:397-406.
33. Adil M, Kandhare AD, Dalvi G, Ghosh P, Venkata S, Raygude KS, et al. Ameliorative effect of berberine against gentamicin-induced nephrotoxicity in rats via attenuation of oxidative stress, inflammation, apoptosis and mitochondrial dysfunction. Ren Fail 2016; 38:996-1006.