The Iranian Journal of Basic Medical Sciences is a peer-reviewed, monthly publication of Mashhad University of Medical Sciences (MUMS), Mashhad, Iran. The Iranian Journal of Basic Medical Sciences is a modern forum for scientific communication. Data and information useful to investigators in any discipline in basic medical sciences mainly including Anatomical Sciences, Biochemistry, Genetics, Immunology, Microbiology, Pathology, Pharmacology, Pharmaceutical Sciences, and Physiology, will be published after peer review.
Manuscripts, or the essence of their content, must be previously unpublished and should not be under simultaneous consideration by another journal. By submitting the manuscript, the corresponding author acknowledges that all the co-authors have seen and approved the final version of the manuscript. The work should be original or thorough by an authoritative person in a pertinent field.
Manuscripts will be considered for publication in the form of original articles, short communications, review articles, and editorial articles.
This journal follows the International Committee of Medical Journal Editors (ICMJE)‘s Recommendations for the Conduct, Reporting, Editing and Publication of Scholarly Work in Medical Journals.
If research misconduct, fraud or plagiarism is suspected, editors will follow the Committee on Publication Ethics (COPE) guidelines and reserve the rights to inform authors or their institution.More details are available from Publication Ethics. Please read these instructions before submitting your article.
(1) Significant contributions to conceptualization and design; or the acquisition, analysis, or interpretation of the data,
(2) The drafting of the article or critical revision for important intellectual content,
(3) Final approval of the version to be published,
(4) Authors are expected to consider the list and order of authors before submitting the manuscript.
Study design and ethical approval: Good research should be well justified, well planned, appropriately designed, and ethically approved. Conducting research to a lower standard may constitute misconduct. The authors are responsible for both the scientific content as well as the bibliographic information accuracy.
Human and animal studies: All manuscripts reporting the results of experimental investigations involving human subjects should include a statement confirming informed consent was obtained from each subject or subject’s guardian. All animal or human studies should be used after approval of the experimental protocol by a local ethics committee.
Multiple, redundant or concurrent publication: Manuscripts are considered for publication only if they are not under consideration by other journals and have not been published previously in the same or substantially similar form. If a prior or duplicate publication is discovered, the editor will address the matter with the affected author/s and the other journal’s editor. This will be done following guidelines published by the ICJME and COPE. Redundant publication occurs when two or more papers, without full cross reference, share the same hypothesis, data, discussion points, or conclusions. In such cases, the manuscript will be rejected.
Conflicts of interest policy: Conflicts of interest include those which may not be fully apparent and which may influence the judgment of authors, reviewers, and editors. They have been described as those which, when revealed later, would make a reasonable reader feel misled or deceived. They may be personal, commercial, political, academic or financial. “Financial” interests may include employment, research funding, stock or share ownership, payment for lectures or travel, consultancies and company support for staff.
Plagiarism: Plagiarism ranges from the unreferenced use of others’ published and unpublished ideas, including research grant applications to submission under “new” authorship of a complete paper, sometimes in a different language. It may occur at any stage of planning, research, writing, or publication: it applies to print and electronic versions. The Iranian Journal of Basic Medical Sciences checks all manuscripts for plagiarism by authenticate. Authors are expected to check their manuscript for plagiarism before submission.
The Iranian Journal of Basic Medical Sciences guideline is in agreement with the COPE position statement on the use of Artificial Intelligence (AI) in any step of manuscript preparation.
“Authors are fully responsible for the content of their manuscript, even those parts produced by an AI tool, and are thus liable for any breach of publication ethics.”
Retractions: The Iranian Journal of Basic Medical Sciences is committed to maintaining scholarly integrity. Therefore retracting articles may be necessary occasionally. The Iranian Journal of Basic Medical Sciences considers publishing retractions according to COPE guidelines for retracting articles.
The authors are requested to submit their manuscript via the following link:
Manuscripts should be prepared in accordance with the “Uniform Requirements for Manuscripts Submission to Biomedical Journals” proclaimed by the International Committee of Medical Journal Editors (http://www.icmje.org/recommendations/).
The corresponding author is the main owner of the article so she/he can withdraw the article when it is incomplete (before entering the review process or when a revision is asked for) by submitting a letter to the editorial office. The reasons for the withdrawal request must be well-founded and the process should be conducted in line with COPE publication ethics.
1. Research manuscripts addressing original work (e.g. total plant extract), controversial opinions or "negative" results are often published as short communications after they have passed the review process.
2. For review articles, the authors are requested to provide at least three published articles in the related field of their submitted manuscript in the references section.
3. Manuscripts should be typed on A4 paper in clear, concise English, double-spaced. Authors are requested to reserve 2.5 cm margins all around the paper. Original drawings of photos, tables and figures should be furnished with the manuscript.
4. Manuscripts should be kept to a minimum length and subdivided into labeled sections (Title page, Abstract, Keywords, Introduction, Materials and Methods, Results, Discussion, Conclusion, Acknowledgment, Authors’ contributions and References).
5. A title page is to be provided and should include the article title, authors’ names with full first names (with degrees), authors’ affiliation, suggested running title and corresponding author. The affiliation should comprise the department, institution (usually university or company), city and state (or nation).
6. An abstract no longer than 250 words for review and research articles must be provided on the second page. Abstract should be structured as objective(s) (including purpose setting), materials and methods, results, and conclusion. The abstract of review articles is not structured.
7. A list of 5-8 keywords, chosen from the Medical Subject Headings (MeSH) list, must be provided directly below the abstract. Keywords should express the precise manuscript content, as they are used for indexing purposes. List abbreviations and nomenclature in alphabetical order and non-standard abbreviations contained in the manuscript (excluding references) with definitions after the keywords. Use abbreviations sparingly and only when necessary to save space, and avoid repeating long chemical names or therapeutic regimes.
8. Abbreviations must be defined at their first use in the manuscript. Please consider the consistency of the abbreviations throughout the manuscript. For gene and protein names please follow the International Protein Nomenclature Guidelines: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/genome/doc/internatprot_nomenguide/
9. Authors should disclose, at the time of submission, information on interests that may influence the manuscript’s results and conclusions.
10. Acknowledgments, sponsorship or grants should be written after the main text and before the references.
11. All authors take responsibility for the content of the submitted manuscript. Therefore, all the authors should complete the "Authors' Contributions Statement" file.
12. References in limited numbers and up-to-dated must be numbered consecutively in order of citation in the text (number in parentheses). Periodical titles should be abbreviated according to the PubMed Journals Database (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=journals). Print the surnames and initials of all authors when there are six or less. In the case of seven or more authors, the names of the first six authors are followed by et al. (Italic) should be listed. Listed below are references to a journal, a chapter in a book and a book, respectively, in the correct style (according to Vancouver style):
- The Iranian Journal of Basic Medical Sciences recommends Endnote for the creation of bibliographies for ease of use and time saving.
New: The EndNote output style for Iranian Journal of Basic Medical Sciences' current reference style can be found here.
13. Copyright: As an open-access journal, The Iranian Journal of Basic Medical Sciences uses licenses that keep copyright with the author, but the author transfers all commercial exploitation rights to the publisher. The author(s) can post a copy of the published article on his/her own website or his/her institution’s website with no permission, provided that full citation of the journal and a link to the Iranian Journal of Basic Medical Sciences website are included. The Iranian Journal of Basic Medical Sciences can also be used in educational materials with citations. The author(s) may republish the article in a book written or edited by himself/herself without permission, but with full acknowledgment of the first publisher.
14. The editor-in-chief may reject manuscripts prior to peer review if they are beyond the scope of the journal or do not comply with the author instructions.
15. The Iranian Journal of Basic Medical Sciences follows the COPE guidelines for handling complaints and appeals.
Figures should be utilized only if they augment the understandability of the text. The same data should not be presented in tables, figures and text, at the same time. The captions should be placed below. Drawings and graphs should be professionally prepared with a minimum resolution of 300 DPI. In a figure or table, define the abbreviations used in a footnote.
In the review articles, preparing high-quality pictures or drawings are recommended for better understanding.
1- Title page, consisting of only one page and including article title, list of authors, highest academic degrees, authors’ affiliations, name, telephone and address of the corresponding author and acknowledgments.
2- Manuscript main file without authors' names, affiliations and acknowledgements.
Please read the author’s instructions carefully and make sure:
- Abstract is structured and limited to 250 words.
- The running title is included and has 50 characters at most.
- Discussion is separated from results.
- Introduction, conclusion, materials and methods, authors’ contributions and acknowledgment are included.
- Tables must be integrated into the manuscript and not submitted separately.
- Please note that individual figure or photo files must be provided separatly.
- References must comply with the journal’s format.
This journal uses double-blind peer review, which means that both the reviewer and author identities are concealed from the reviewers, and vice versa, throughout the review process. To facilitate this, authors need to ensure that their manuscripts are prepared in a way that does not give away their identity. Authors have the right to communicate with the editor if they do not wish their manuscript to be reviewed by a particular reviewer. This is because of potential conflicts of interest. The Iranian Journal of Basic Medical Sciences follows COPE ethical guidelines for peer reviewers to ensure the integrity of the scholarly record.
"The reviewing and publishing process depends on the quality of your study and the English accuracy of your manuscript."
Starting with July 2020 Iranian Journal of Basic Medical Sciences levies an article-processing charge of 15.000.000 Rls. for each original and short communication article accepted for publication. Please note that these charges apply only to accepted articles of Iranian authors. All other articles are exempt from these charges.
Manuscripts are only accepted for publication on the understanding that the authors will permit editorial amendments. Though, proofs will always be submitted to the corresponding author before being sent to press. The decision to accept a contribution rests with the Iranian Journal of Basic Medical Sciences Editorial Board.
Bibi Sedigheh Fazly Bazzaz, MSc, PhD
Iranian Journal of Basic Medical Sciences
P.O. Box: 91775-1365
Tel: +98(51)31801510 (Please call from 09:00-10:30 A.M. "GMT +3:30")