1. Klotz K, Weistenhofer W, Neff F, Hartwig A, van Thriel C, Drexler H. The health effects of aluminum exposure. Dtsch Arztebl Int 2017; 114:653-659.
2. Farhat SM, Mahboob A, Iqbal G, Ahmed T. Aluminum-induced cholinergic deficits in different brain parts and its implications on sociability and cognitive functions in mouse. Biol Trace Elem Res 2017; 177:115-121.
3. Kaur A, Gill KD. Disruption of neuronal calcium homeostasis after chronic aluminium toxicity in rats. Basic Clin Pharmacol Toxicol 2005; 96:118-122.
4. Saberzadeh J, Arabsolghar R, Takhshid MA. Alpha synuclein protein is involved in Aluminum-induced cell death and oxidative stress in PC12 cells. Brain Res 2016; 1635:153-160.
5. Sakamoto T, Saito H, Ishii K, Takahashi H, Tanabe S, Ogasawara Y. Aluminum inhibits proteolytic degradation of amyloid beta peptide by cathepsin D: a potential link between aluminum accumulation and neuritic plaque deposition. FEBS Lett 2006; 580:6543-6549.
6. Aremu DA, Ezomo OF, Meshitsuka S. Gene expression in primary cultured astrocytes affected by aluminum: alteration of chaperons involved in protein folding. Environ Health Prev Med 2011; 16:16-24.
7. Rizvi SH, Parveen A, Ahmad I, Ahmad I, Verma AK, Arshad M, et al. Aluminum activates PERK-EIF2alpha signaling and inflammatory proteins in human neuroblastoma SH-SY5Y Cells. Biol Trace Elem Res 2016; 172:108-119.
8. Yuan CY, Lee YJ, Hsu GS. Aluminum overload increases oxidative stress in four functional brain areas of neonatal rats. J Biomed Sci 2012; 19:51.
9. Esparza JL, Gomez M, Domingo JL. Role of melatonin in aluminum-related neurodegenerative disorders: A review. Biol Trace Elem Res 2019;188:60-67.
10. Sahebkar A, Panahi Y, Yaribeygi H, Javadi B. Oxidative stress in neurodegenerative diseases: a review. CNS Neurol Disord Drug Targets 2018; 17:207-215.
11. Wei Y, Liu D, Zheng Y, Li H, Hao C, Ouyang W. Protective effects of kinetin against aluminum chloride and D-galactose induced cognitive impairment and oxidative damage in mouse. Brain Res Bull 2017; 134:262-272.
12. Filakovic P, Eric AP. Pharmacotherapy of suicidal behaviour in major depression, schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. Coll Antropol 2013; 37:1039-1044.
13. Afzal E, Alinezhad S, Khorsand M, Khoshnood MJ, Takhshid MA. Effects of two-by-two combination therapy with valproic acid, lithium chloride, and celecoxib on the angiogenesis of the chicken chorioallantoic membrane. Iran J Med Sci 2018; 3:506-513.
14. Fanian M, Bahmani M, Mozafari M, Naderi S, Alizadeh Zareie M, Okhovat MA, et al. The synergistic effects of celecoxib and sodium valproate on apoptosis and invasiveness behavior of papillary thyroid cancer cell line in-vitro. Iran J Pharm Res 2018; 7:1008-1017.
15. Damaskos C, Valsami S, Kontos M, Spartalis E, Kalampokas T, Kalampokas E, et al. Histone deacetylase inhibitors: An attractive therapeutic strategy against breast cancer. Anticancer Res 2017; 37:35-46.
16. Lee TB, Moon YS, Choi CH. Histone H4 deacetylation down-regulates catalase gene expression in doxorubicin-resistant AML subline. Cell Biol Toxicol 2012; 28:11-18.
17. Zhang Z, Qin X, Zhao X, Tong N, Gong Y, Zhang W, et al. Valproic acid regulates antioxidant enzymes and prevents ischemia/reperfusion injury in the rat retina. Curr Eye Res 2012; 37:429-437.
18. Saberzadeh J, Omrani M, Takhshid MA. Protective effects of nimodipine and lithium against aluminum-induced cell death and oxidative stress in PC12 cells. Iran J Basic Med Sci 2016; 19:1251-1257.
19. Shokoohinia Y, Khajouei S, Ahmadi F, Ghiasvand N, Hosseinzadeh L. Protective effect of bioactive compounds from Echinophora cinerea against cisplatin-induced oxidative stress and apoptosis in the PC12 cell line. Iran J Basic Med Sci 2017; 20:438-445.
20. Kawahara M, Kato-Negishi M. Link between aluminum and the pathogenesis of Alzheimer’s disease: The integration of the aluminum and amyloid cascade hypotheses. Int J Alzheimers Dis 2011; 2011:276393.
21. Maya S, Prakash T, Madhu KD, Goli D. Multifaceted effects of aluminium in neurodegenerative diseases: A review. Biomed Pharmacother 2016; 83:746-754.
22. Silva MR, Correia AO, Dos Santos GCA, Parente LLT, de Siqueira KP, Lima DGS, et al. Neuroprotective effects of valproic acid on brain ischemia are related to its HDAC and GSK3 inhibitions. Pharmacol Biochem Behav 2018; 167:17-28.
23. Zhang Y, Wu JY, Weng LH, Li XX, Yu LJ, Xu Y. Valproic acid protects against MPP(+)-mediated neurotoxicity in SH-SY5Y cells through autophagy. Neurosci Lett 2017; 638:60-68.
24. Peng GS, Li G, Tzeng NS, Chen PS, Chuang DM, Hsu YD, et al. Valproate pretreatment protects dopaminergic neurons from LPS-induced neurotoxicity in rat primary midbrain cultures: role of microglia. Brain Res Mol Brain Res 2005; 134:162-169.
25. Go HS, Seo JE, Kim KC, Han SM, Kim P, Kang YS, et al. Valproic acid inhibits neural progenitor cell death by activation of NF-kappaB signaling pathway and up-regulation of Bcl-XL. J Biomed Sci 2011; 18:48.
26. Wang C, Wang Y, Qiao Z, Kuai Q, Wang Y, Wang X, et al. Valproic acid-mediated myocardial protection of acute hemorrhagic rat via the BCL-2 pathway. J Trauma Acute Care Surg 2016; 80:812-818.
27. Brest P, Lassalle S, Hofman V, Bordone O, Gavric Tanga V, Bonnetaud C, et al. MiR-129-5p is required for histone deacetylase inhibitor-induced cell death in thyroid cancer cells. Endocr Relat Cancer 2011; 18:711-719.
28. Zhang Z, Qin X, Tong N, Zhao X, Gong Y, Shi Y, et al. Valproic acid-mediated neuroprotection in retinal ischemia injury via histone deacetylase inhibition and transcriptional activation. Exp Eye Res 2012; 94:98-108.
29. Jensen ML, Frongillo EA, Leroy JL, Blake CE. Participating in a food-assisted maternal and child nutrition and health program in rural guatemala alters household dietary choices. J Nutr 2016; 146:1593-1600.
30. Cardenas-Rodriguez N, Coballase-Urrutia E, Rivera-Espinosa L, Romero-Toledo A, Sampieri A, Ortega-Cuellar D, et al. Modulation of antioxidant enzymatic activities by certain antiepileptic drugs (valproic acid, oxcarbazepine, and topiramate): evidence in humans and experimental models. Oxid Med Cell Longev 2013; 2013:598493.
31. Kabel AM, Omar MS, Elmaaboud MAA. Amelioration of bleomycin-induced lung fibrosis in rats by valproic acid and butyrate: Role of nuclear factor kappa-B, proinflammatory cytokines and oxidative stress. Int Immunopharmacol 2016; 39:335-342.
32. Tokarz P, Kaarniranta K, Blasiak J. Inhibition of DNA methyltransferase or histone deacetylase protects retinal pigment epithelial cells from DNA damage induced by oxidative stress by the stimulation of antioxidant enzymes. Eur J Pharmacol 2016; 776:167-175.
33. Audano M, Schneider A, Mitro N. Mitochondria, lysosomes and dysfunction: their meaning in neurodegeneration. J Neurochem 2018; 147:291-309.
34. Suski J, Lebiedzinska M, Bonora M, Pinton P, Duszynski J, Wieckowski MR. Relation between mitochondrial membrane potential and ROS formation. Methods Mol Biol 2018; 1782:357-381.
35. Li R, Liu Y, Chen N, Zhang Y, Song G, Zhang Z. Valproate attenuates nitroglycerin-induced trigeminovascular activation by preserving mitochondrial function in a rat model of migraine. Med Sci Monit 2016; 22:3229-3237.