1. Nizal Sarrafzadegan M, Sadeghi M, Shahram Oveisgharan M, Marshall T. Incidence of cardiovascular diseases in an Iranian population: the Isfahan Cohort Study. Arch Iran Med 2013; 16:138.
2. World Health Organization. Global status report on noncommunicable diseases 2010 World Health Organization. Geneva, Switzerland 2011.
3. Ebrahimi M, Kazemi-Bajestani S, Ghayour-Mobarhan M, Ferns G. Coronary artery disease and its risk factors status in Iran: A review.
Iran Red Crescent Med J 2011; 13:610-623.
4. Alizadehsani R, Habibi J, Bahadorian B, Mashayekhi H, Ghandeharioun A, Boghrati R, et al. diagnosis of coronary arteries stenosis using data mining. J Med Signals Sens 2012; 2:153.
5. Silventoinen K, Magnusson PK, Tynelius P, Batty GD, Rasmussen F. Association of body size and muscle strength with incidence of coronary heart disease and cerebrovascular diseases: a population-based cohort study of one million Swedish men. Int J Epidemiol 2009; 38:110-118.
6. Libby P. Inflammation and cardiovascular disease mechanisms. Am J Clin Nutr 2006; 83:456S-460S.
7. Miller GE, Freedland KE, Duntley S, Carney RM. Relation of depressive symptoms to C-reactive protein and pathogen burden (cytomegalovirus, herpes simplex virus, Epstein-Barr virus) in patients with earlier acute coronary syndromes. Am J Cardiol 2005; 95:317-321.
8. Siddiqui T, Dikshit D. Platelets and atherothrombosis: causes, targets and treatments for thrombosis. Curr Med Chem 2013; 20:2779-2797.
9. Liao X, Sluimer JC, Wang Y, Subramanian M, Brown K, Pattison JS, et al. Macrophage autophagy plays a protective role in advanced atherosclerosis. Cell Metab 2012; 15:545-553.
10. Shabestari MM, Jabbari F, Gohari B, Moazen N, Azizi H, Moghiman T, et al. Coronary artery angiographic changes in veterans poisoned by mustard gas. Cardiology 2011; 119:208-213.
11. Siegel D, Devaraj S, Mitra A, Raychaudhuri SP, Raychaudhuri SK, Jialal I. Inflammation, atherosclerosis, and psoriasis. Clin Rev Allergy Immunol 2013; 44:194-204.
12. Klingenberg R, Hansson GK. Treating inflammation in atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease: emerging therapies. Eur Heart J 2009; 30:2838-2844.
13. Myers GL, Rifai N, Tracy RP, Roberts WL, Alexander RW, Biasucci LM, et al. CDC/AHA Workshop on markers of inflammation and cardiovascular disease application to clinical and public health practice: Report from the laboratory science discussion group. Circulation 2004; 110:e545-e549.
14. Hassanzadeh M, Faridhosseini R, Mahini M, Faridhosseini F, Ranjbar A. Serum levels of TNF-, IL-6, and selenium in patients with acute and chronic coronary artery disease. Iran J Immunol 2006; 3:142-145.
15. Bergstrom I, Backteman K, Lundberg A, Ernerudh J, Jonasson L. Persistent accumulation of interferon-gamma-producing CD8+CD56+ T cells in blood from patients with coronary artery disease. Atherosclerosis 2012; 224:515-520.
16. Nakagomi A, Freedman SB, Geczy CL. Interferon-gamma and lipopolysaccharide potentiate monocyte tissue factor induction by C-reactive protein: relationship with age, sex, and hormone replacement treatment. Circulation 2000; 101:1785-1791.
17. Shah PK. Link between infection and atherosclerosis: who are the culprits: viruses, bacteria, both, or neither? Circulation 2001; 103:5-6.
18. Rafatpanah H, Farid R, Golanbar G, Azad FJ. HTLV-I Infection: virus structure, immune response to the virus and genetic association studies in HTLV-I-infected individuals. Iran J Allergy Asthma Immunol 2006; 5:153-166.
19. Treviño A, Aguilera A, Caballero E, Benito R, Parra P, Eiros JM, et al. Trends in the prevalence and distribution of HTLV-1 and HTLV-2 infections in Spain. Virol J 2012; 9:71-75.
20. Vakili R, Sabet F, Aahmadi S, Boostani R, Rafatpanah H, Shamsian A, et al. Human T-lymphotropic Virus Type I (HTLV-I) Proviral Load and Clinical Features in Iranian HAM/TSP Patients: Comparison of HTLV-I Proviral Load in HAM/TSP Patients. Iran J Basic Med Sci 2013; 16:268-272.
21. Azarpazhooh MR, Hasanpour K, Ghanbari M, Rezaee SR, Mashkani B, Hedayati-Moghaddam MR, et al. Human T-lymphotropic virus type 1 prevalence in Northeastern Iran, Sabzevar: an epidemiologic-based study and phylogenetic analysis. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 2012; 28:1095-1101.
22. Rafatpanah H, Hedayati-Moghaddam MR, Fathimoghadam F, Bidkhori HR, Shamsian SK, Ahmadi S, et al. High prevalence of HTLV-I infection in Mashhad, Northeast Iran: a population-based seroepidemiology survey. J Clin Virol 2011; 52:172-176.
23. Hedayati-Moghaddam M, Fathimoghadam F, Mashhadi IE, Soghandi L, Bidkhori H. Epidemiology of HTLV-1 in Neyshabour, Northeast of Iran. Iran Red Crescent Med J 2011; 13:424.
24. Foroughipour M, Azad FJ. Outcome of intravenous immunoglobulin-transmitted HTLV-I, hepatitis B, hepatitis C, and HIV infections. Iran J Basic Med Sci 2013; 16:221-224.
25. FaridHosseini R, Jabbari F, Shabestari M, Rezaee SA, Gharivani Y, Valizadeh N, et al. Human T lymphotropic virus type I (HTLV-I) is a risk factor for coronary artery disease. Iran J Basic Med Sci 2013; 16:217-220.
26. Rafatpanah H, Rezaee A, Etemadi MM, Hosseini RF, Khorram B, Afsahr L, et al. The impact of interferon-alpha treatment on clinical and immunovirological aspects of HTLV-1-associated myelopathy in northeast of Iran. J Neuroimmunol 2012; 250:87-93.
27. Rafatpanah H, Torkamani M, Valizadeh N, Vakili R, Meshkani B, Khademi H, et al. Prevalence and phylogenetic analysis of HTLV-1 in a segregated population in Iran. J Med Virol 2016; 88:1247-1253.
28. Gabarre J, Gessain A, Raphael M, Merle-Beral H, Dubourg O, Fourcade C, et al. Adult T-cell leukemia/lymphoma revealed by a surgically cured cardiac valve lymphomatous involvement in an Iranian woman: clinical, immunopathological and viromolecular studies. Leukemia 1993; 7:1904-1909.
29. Wang T, Yi R, Green LA, Chelvanambi S, Seimetz M, Clauss M. Increased cardiovascular disease risk in the HIV-positive population on ART: potential role of HIV-Nef and Tat. Cardiovasc Pathol 2015; 24:279-282.
30. Sabouri AH, Saito M, Usuku K, Bajestan SN, Mahmoudi M, Forughipour M, et al. Differences in viral and host genetic risk factors for development of human T-cell lymphotropic virus type 1 (HTLV-1)-associated myelopathy/tropical spastic paraparesis between Iranian and Japanese HTLV-1-infected individuals. J Gen Virol 2005; 86:773-781.
31. Prado F, Prado R, Ladeia AMT. Cardiovascular risk profile in patients with myelopathy associated with HTLV-1. Braz J Infect Dis 2017; 21:226-233.
32. Iemura A, Yano H, Kojiro M, Nouno R, Kouno K. Massive cardiac involvement of adult T-cell leukemia/lymphoma. An autopsy case. Arch Pathol Lab Med 1991; 115:1052-1054.
33. Daisley H, Charles WP. Fatal metastatic calcification in a patient with HTLV-1-associated lymphoma. West Indian Med J 1993; 42:37-39.
34. Daisley H, Charles W. Cardiac involvement with lymphoma/leukemia: a report of three autopsy cases. Leukemia 1997; 11:522-524.
35. Boostani R, Vakili R, Hosseiny SS, Shoeibi A, Fazeli B, Etemadi MM, et al. Triple therapy with prednisolone, pegylated interferon and sodium valproate improves clinical outcome and reduces human T-cell leukemia virus type 1 (HTLV-1) proviral load, tax and HBZ mRNA expression in patients with HTLV-1-associated myelopathy/tropical spastic paraparesis. Neurotherapeutics 2015; 12:887-895.
36. Rafatpanah H, Rezaee A, Etemadi MM, Hosseini RF, Khorram B, Afsahr L, et al. The impact of interferon-alpha treatment on clinical and immunovirological aspects of HTLV-1-associated myelopathy in northeast of Iran. J Neuroimmunol 2012; 250:87-93.
37. Akbarin MM, Rahimi H, Hassannia T, Shoja Razavi G, Sabet F, Shirdel A. Comparison of HTLV-I proviral load in adult T cell leukemia/lymphoma (ATL), HTLV-I-associated myelopathy (HAM-TSP) and healthy carriers. Iran J Basic Med Sci 2013; 16:208-212.
38. Rafatpanah H, Felegari M, Azarpazhooh MR, Vakili R, Rajaei T, Hampson I, et al. Altered expression of CXCR3 and CCR6 and their ligands in HTLV-1 carriers and HAM/TSP patients. J Med Virol 2017; 89:1461-1468.
39. Curis C, Percher F, Jeannin P, Montange T, Chevalier SA, Seilhean D, et al. Human T-lymphotropic virus type 1-induced overexpression of activated leukocyte cell adhesion molecule (ALCAM) facilitates trafficking of infected lymphocytes through the blood-brain barrier. J Virol 2016; 90:7303-7312.
40. Afonso PV, Ozden S, Cumont MC, Seilhean D, Cartier L, Rezaie P, et al. Alteration of blood-brain barrier integrity by retroviral infection. PLoS Pathog 2008; 4:e1000205.