1. Agahi A, Hamidi GA, Daneshvar R, Hamdieh M, Soheili M, Alinaghipour A, et al. Does severity of Alzheimer’s disease contribute to its responsiveness to modifying gut microbiota? A double blind clinical trial. Front Neurol 2018; 9:662-680.
2. Lazar V, Ditu LM, Pircalabioru GG, Picu A, Petcu L, Cucu N, et al. Gut microbiota, host organism, and diet trialogue in diabetes and obesity. Front Nutr 2019; 6:21-69.
3. Maqsood R, Stone TW. The gut-brain axis, BDNF, NMDA and CNS disorders. Neurochem Res 2016; 41:2819-2835.
4. Markowiak P, Slizewska K. Effects of Probiotics, Prebiotics and synbiotics on human health. Nutrients 2017; 9:1-41.
5. Bagheri S, Heydari A, Alinaghipour A, Salami M. Effect of probiotic supplementation on seizure activity and cognitive performance in PTZ-induced chemical kindling. Epilepsy Behav 2019; 95:43-50.
6. Davis DJ, Doerr HM, Grzelak AK, Busi SB, Jasarevic E, Ericsson AC, et al. Lactobacillus plantarum attenuates anxiety-related behavior and protects against stress-induced dysbiosis in adult zebrafish. Sci Rep 2016; 6:33726.
7. Soeiro-de-Souza MG, Henning A, Machado-Vieira R, Moreno RA, Pastorello BF, da Costa Leite C, et al. Anterior cingulate Glutamate-Glutamine cycle metabolites are altered in euthymic bipolar I disorder. Eur Neuropsychopharmacol 2015; 25:2221-2229.
8. Michels G, Moss SJ. GABAA receptors: properties and trafficking. Crit Rev Biochem Mol Biol 2007; 42:3-14.
9. Soheili M, Tavirani MR, Salami M. Lavandula angustifolia extract improves deteriorated synaptic plasticity in an animal model of Alzheimer’s disease. Iran J Basic Med Sci 2015; 18:1147-1152.
10. Mott DD, Lewis DV. Facilitation of the induction of long-term potentiation by GABAB receptors. Science 1991; 252:1718-1720.
11. Talaei SA, Salami M. Sensory experience differentially underlies developmental alterations of LTP in CA1 area and dentate gyrus. Brain Res 2013; 1537:1-8.
12. Luchiari AC, Salajan DC, Gerlai R. Acute and chronic alcohol administration: effects on performance of zebrafish in a latent learning task. Behav Brain Res 2015; 282:76-83.
13. Ambrose ML, Bowden SC, Whelan G. Working memory impairments in alcohol-dependent participants without clinical amnesia. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 2001; 25:185-191.
14. Oliveira AC, Pereira MC, Santana LN, Fernandes RM, Teixeira FB, Oliveira GB, et al. Chronic ethanol exposure during adolescence through early adulthood in female rats induces emotional and memory deficits associated with morphological and molecular alterations in hippocampus. J Psychopharmacol 2015; 29:712-724.
15. Wang X, Yu H, You J, Wang C, Feng C, Liu Z, et al. Memantine can improve chronic ethanol exposure-induced spatial memory impairment in male C57BL/6 mice by reducing hippocampal apoptosis. Toxicology 2018; 406-407:21-32.
16. Peris J, Anderson KJ, Vickroy TW, King MA, Hunter BE, Walker DW. Neurochemical basis of disruption of hippocampal long term potentiation by chronic alcohol exposure. Front Biosci 1997; 2:d309-316.
17. Dildy-Mayfield JE, Leslie SW. Mechanism of inhibition of N-methyl-D-aspartate-stimulated increases in free intracellular Ca2+ concentration by ethanol. J Neurochem 1991; 56:1536-1543.
18. Hoffman PL, Rabe CS, Moses F, Tabakoff B. N-methyl-D-aspartate receptors and ethanol: inhibition of calcium flux and cyclic GMP production. J Neurochem 1989; 52:1937-1940.
19. Zorumski CF, Mennerick S, Izumi Y. Acute and chronic effects of ethanol on learning-related synaptic plasticity. Alcohol 2014; 48:1-17.
20. DePoy L, Daut R, Brigman JL, MacPherson K, Crowley N, Gunduz-Cinar O, et al. Chronic alcohol produces neuroadaptations to prime dorsal striatal learning. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2013; 110:14783-14788.
21. Davari S, Talaei SA, Alaei H, Salami M. Probiotics treatment improves diabetes-induced impairment of synaptic activity and cognitive function: behavioral and electrophysiological prooefs for microbiome-gut-brain axis. Neuroscience 2013; 240:287-296.
22. Arendt T, Allen Y, Marchbanks RM, Schugens MM, Sinden J, Lantos PL, et al. Cholinergic system and memory in the rat: effects of chronic ethanol, embryonic basal forebrain brain transplants and excitotoxic lesions of cholinergic basal forebrain projection system. Neuroscience 1989; 33:435-462.
23. Hosseinzadeh S, Dabidi Roshan V, Pourasghar M. Effects of intermittent aerobic training on passive avoidance test (shuttle box) and stress markers in the dorsal hippocampus of wistar rats exposed to administration of homocysteine. Iran J Psychiatry Behav Sci 2013; 7:37-44.
24. Paxinos G, Watson C. The rat brain in stereotaxic coordinates - The New Coronal Set: Elsevier Science; 2004.
25. Garcia-Moreno LM, Cimadevilla JM. Acute and chronic ethanol intake: effects on spatial and non-spatial memory in rats. Alcohol 2012; 46:757-762.
26. Friedman TW, Robinson SR, Yelland GW. Impaired perceptual judgment at low blood alcohol concentrations. Alcohol 2011; 45:711-718.
27. Salami M, Fathollahi Y, Semnanian S, Atapour N. Differential effect of dark rearing on long-term potentiation induced by layer IV and white matter stimulation in rat visual cortex. Neurosci Res 2000; 38:349-356.
28. Hasanein P, Seifi R, Hajinezhad MR, Emamjomeh A. Rosmarinic acid protects against chronic ethanol-induced learning and memory deficits in rats. Nutr Neurosci 2017; 20:547-554.
29. Zhang Y, Li S, Wang W, Xu C, Liang S, Liu M, et al. Beneficial effects of polydatin on learning and memory in rats with chronic ethanol exposure. Int J Clin Exp Pathol 2015; 8:11116-11123.
30. Swartzwelder HS, Acheson SK, Miller KM, Sexton HG, Liu W, Crews FT, et al. Adolescent intermittent alcohol exposure: deficits in object recognition memory and forebrain cholinergic markers. PLoS One 2015; 10:e0140042.
31. Brown MT, Tan KR, O’Connor EC, Nikonenko I, Muller D, Luscher C. Ventral tegmental area GABA projections pause accumbal cholinergic interneurons to enhance associative learning. Nature 2012; 492:452-456.
32. Riley JN, Walker DW. Morphological alterations in hippocampus after long-term alcohol consumption in mice. Science 1978; 201:646-648.
33. Sircar R, Basak AK, Sircar D. Repeated ethanol exposure affects the acquisition of spatial memory in adolescent female rats. Behav Brain Res 2009; 202:225-231.
34. Berry RB, Matthews DB. Acute ethanol administration selectively impairs spatial memory in C57BL/6J mice. Alcohol 2004; 32:9-18.
35. Ma Q, Xing C, Long W, Wang HY, Liu Q, Wang RF. Impact of microbiota on central nervous system and neurological diseases: the gut-brain axis. J Neuroinflammation 2019; 16:53.
36. Dai CE, Li HL, He XP, Zheng FF, Zhu HL, Liu LF, et al. [Research advance in metabolism of effective ingredients from traditional Chinese medicines by probiotics]. Zhongguo Zhong Yao Za Zhi 2018; 43:31-38.
37. Hossain MI, Sadekuzzaman M, Ha SD. Probiotics as potential alternative biocontrol agents in the agriculture and food industries: A review. Food Res Int 2017; 100:63-73.
38. Ho ST, Hsieh YT, Wang SY, Chen MJ. Improving effect of a probiotic mixture on memory and learning abilities in d-galactose-treated aging mice. J Dairy Sci 2019; 102:1901-1909.
39. Jeong JJ, Kim KA, Ahn YT, Sim JH, Woo JY, Huh CS, et al. Probiotic mixture KF attenuates age-dependent memory deficit and lipidemia in fischer 344 rats. J Microbiol Biotechnol 2015; 25:1532-1536.
40. Jameson KG, Hsiao EY. Linking the gut microbiota to a brain neurotransmitter. Trends Neurosci 2018; 41:413-414.
41. Strandwitz P. Neurotransmitter modulation by the gut microbiota. Brain Res 2018; 1693:128-133.
42. Xu Z, Wang C, Dong X, Hu T, Wang L, Zhao W, et al. Chronic alcohol exposure induced gut microbiota dysbiosis and its correlations with neuropsychic behaviors and brain BDNF/Gabra1 changes in mice. 2019; 45:187-199.
43. McVey Neufeld KA, Mao YK, Bienenstock J, Foster JA, Kunze WA. The microbiome is essential for normal gut intrinsic primary afferent neuron excitability in the mouse. Neurogastroenterol Motil 2013; 25:183-e188.
44. Hoban AE, Stilling RM, Ryan FJ, Shanahan F, Dinan TG, Claesson MJ, et al. Regulation of prefrontal cortex myelination by the microbiota. Transl Psychiatry 2016; 6:e774.
45. Ogbonnaya ES, Clarke G, Shanahan F, Dinan TG, Cryan JF, O’Leary OF. Adult hippocampal neurogenesis is regulated by the microbiome. Biol Psychiatry 2015; 78:e7-9.
46. Romo-Araiza A, Gutierrez-Salmean G, Galvan EJ, Hernandez-Frausto M, Herrera-Lopez G, Romo-Parra H, et al. Probiotics and prebiotics as a therapeutic strategy to improve memory in a model of middle-aged rats. Front Aging Neurosci 2018; 10:416-441.
47. Akbari E, Asemi Z, Daneshvar Kakhaki R, Bahmani F, Kouchaki E, Tamtaji OR, et al. Effect of probiotic supplementation on cognitive function and metabolic status in Alzheimer’s disease: a randomized, double-blind and controlled trial. Front Aging Neurosci 2016; 8:256-273.
48. Distrutti E, O’Reilly JA, McDonald C, Cipriani S, Renga B, Lynch MA, et al. Modulation of intestinal microbiota by the probiotic VSL#3 resets brain gene expression and ameliorates the age-related deficit in LTP. PLoS One 2014; 9:e106503.