1. Chen L, Magliano DJ, Zimmet PZ. The worldwide epidemiology of type 2 diabetes mellitus--present and future perspectives. Nat Rev Endocrinol 2011; 8:228-236.
2. Guariguata L, Whiting DR, Hambleton I, Beagley J, Linnenkamp U, Shaw JE. Global estimates of diabetes prevalence for 2013 and projections for 2035. Diabetes Res Clin Pract 2014; 103:137-149.
3. Hajivandi A, Amiri M. World diabetes day 2013: diabetes mellitus and nephrology. J nephropharmacol 2013; 2:31-32.
4. Brownlee M. Biochemistry and molecular cell biology of diabetic complications. Nature 2001; 414:813-820.
5. Amiri M. Oxidative stress and free radicals in liver and kidney diseases; an updated short-review. J Nephropathol 2018; 7.
6. Rodrigo R, Bosco C. Oxidative stress and protective effects of polyphenols: comparative studies in human and rodent kidney. A review. Comp Biochem Physiol C Toxicol Pharmacol 2006; 142:317-327.
7. Shin AH, Oh CJ, Park JW. Glycation-induced inactivation of anti-oxidant enzymes and modulation of cellular redox status in lens cells. Arch Pharm Res 2006; 29:577-581.
8. Liu WH, Hei ZQ, Nie H, Tang FT, Huang HQ, Li XJ, et al. Berberine ameliorates renal injury in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats by suppression of both oxidative stress and aldose reductase. Chin Med J (Engl) 2008; 121:706-712.
9. Tamadon MR, Zahmatkesh M, Beladi Mousavi SS. Administration of anti-oxidants in chronic kidney disease. J Nephropharmacolo 2015; 4:9-11.
10. Hasanvand A, Pirzadroozbahani N, Ahmadizar F, Kharazmkia A, Mir S, Baharvand P, et al. Evaluation of the anti-oxidant effects of zolpidem in the rat model of cisplatin-induced nephrotoxicity. Journal of Renal Injury Prevention 2018; 7:235-239.
11. Bhattacharya S, Manna P, Gachhui R, Sil PC. D-saccharic acid 1,4-lactone protects diabetic rat kidney by ameliorating hyperglycemia-mediated oxidative stress and renal inflammatory cytokines via NF-kappaB and PKC signaling. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 2013; 267:16-29.
12. Lee BT, Ahmed FA, Hamm LL, Teran FJ, Chen CS, Liu Y, et al. Association of C-reactive protein, tumor necrosis factor-alpha, and interleukin-6 with chronic kidney disease. BMC Nephrol 2015; 16:77.
13. Roshan B, Stanton RC. A story of microalbuminuria and diabetic nephropathy. J Nephropathol 2013; 2:234-240.
14. Bahmani F, Bathaie SZ, Aldavood SJ, Ghahghaei A. Glycine therapy inhibits the progression of cataract in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. Mol Vis 2012; 18:439-348.
15. Jafarnejad A, Bathaie SZ, Nakhjavani M, Hassan MZ, Banasadegh S. The improvement effect of L-Lys as a chemical chaperone on STZ-induced diabetic rats, protein structure and function. Diabetes Metab Res Rev 2008; 24:64-73.
16. Feng RN, Niu YC, Sun XW, Li Q, Zhao C, Wang C, et al. Histidine supplementation improves insulin resistance through suppressed inflammation in obese women with the metabolic syndrome: a randomised controlled trial. Diabetologia 2013; 56:985-994.
17. Jiang WD, Qu B, Feng L, Jiang J, Kuang SY, Wu P, et al. Histidine prevents Cu-induced oxidative stress and the associated decreases in mRNA from encoding tight junction proteins in the intestine of grass carp (Ctenopharyngodon idella). PLoS One 2016; 11.
18. Abe H. Role of histidine-related compounds as intracellular proton buffering constituents in vertebrate muscle. Biochemistry (Mosc) 2000; 65:757-765.
19. Lee YT, Hsu CC, Lin MH, Liu KS, Yin MC. Histidine and carnosine delay diabetic deterioration in mice and protect human low density lipoprotein against oxidation and glycation. Eur J Pharmacol 2005; 513:145-150.
20. Watanabe M, Suliman ME, Qureshi AR, Garcia-Lopez E, Barany P, Heimburger O, et al. Consequences of low plasma histidine in chronic kidney disease patients: associations with inflammation, oxidative stress, and mortality. Am J Clin Nutr 2008; 87:1860-1866.
21. Masiello P, Broca C, Gross R, Roye M, Manteghetti M, Hillaire-Buys D, et al. Experimental NIDDM: development of a new model in adult rats administered streptozotocin and nicotinamide. Diabetes 1998; 47:224-229.
22. Satheesh MA, Pari L. Effect of pterostilbene on lipids and lipid profiles in streptozotocin-nicotinamide induced type 2 diabetes mellitus. J Appl Biomed (De Gruyter Open) 2008; 6:31–37.
23. Friedewald WT, Levy RI, Fredrickson DS. Estimation of the concentration of low-density lipoprotein cholesterol in plasma, without use of the preparative ultracentrifuge. Clin Chem 1972; 18:499-502.
24. Ikewuchi C. Alteration of plasma lipid profiles and atherogenic indices by Stachytarpheta jamaicensis L.(Vahl). Biokemistri 2009; 21:71-77.
25. Ahmadvand H, Shahsavari G, Tavafi M, Bagheri S, Moradkhani MR, Kkorramabadi RM, et al. Protective effects of oleuropein against renal injury oxidative damage in alloxan-induced diabetic rats; a histological and biochemical study. J Nephropathol 2017; 6:204-209.
26. Tavafi M, Ahmadvand H, Khalatbari A, Tamjidipoor A. Rosmarinic acid ameliorates diabetic nephropathy in uninephrectomized diabetic rats. Iran J Basic Med Sci 2011; 14:275-283.
27. Ahmadvand H, Tavafi M. Amelioration of glomerulosclerosis by Satureja khozestanica essential oil in alloxan-induced diabetic rats. ZJRMS 2014; 16:23-26.
28. Mahdavifard S, Bathaie SZ, Nakhjavani M, Heidarzadeh H. l-cysteine is a potent inhibitor of protein glycation on both albumin and LDL, and prevents the diabetic complications in diabetic–atherosclerotic rat. Food Res Int 2014; 62:909-916.
29. Doi M, Yamaoka I, Nakayama M, Sugahara K, Yoshizawa F. Hypoglycemic effect of isoleucine involves increased muscle glucose uptake and whole body glucose oxidation and decreased hepatic gluconeogenesis. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 2007; 292:E1683-1693.
30. Kimura K, Nakamura Y, Inaba Y, Matsumoto M, Kido Y, Asahara S, et al. Histidine augments the suppression of hepatic glucose production by central insulin action. Diabetes 2013; 62:2266-2277.
31. Wijekoon EP, Skinner C, Brosnan ME, Brosnan JT. Amino acid metabolism in the Zucker diabetic fatty rat: effects of insulin resistance and of type 2 diabetes. Can J Physiol Pharmacol 2004; 82:506-514.
32. Rouhi H, Ganji F. Effects of N-acetyl cysteine on serum lipoprotein (a) and proteinuria in type 2 diabetic patients. J Nephropathol 2013; 2:61-66.
33. Mong MC, Chao CY, Yin MC. Histidine and carnosine alleviated hepatic steatosis in mice consumed high saturated fat diet. Eur J Pharmacol 2011; 653:82-88.
34. Borsheim E, Bui QU, Tissier S, Cree MG, Ronsen O, Morio B, et al. Amino acid supplementation decreases plasma and liver triacylglycerols in elderly. Nutrition 2009; 25:281-288.
35. Jamor P, Ahmadvand H, Ashoory H, Babaeenezhad E. Effect of alpha-lipoic acid on anti-oxidant gene expression and kidney injury in alloxan-induced diabetic rats. J Nephropathol 2019; 8.
36. Yatzidis H. Oral supplement of six selective amino acids arrest progression renal failure in uremic patients. Int Urol Nephrol 2004; 36:591-598.
37. Sheela N, Jose MA, Sathyamurthy D, Kumar BN. Effect of silymarin on streptozotocin-nicotinamide-induced type 2 diabetic nephropathy in rats. Iran J Kidney Dis 2013; 7:117-123.
38. Faddah LM, Abdel Baky NA, Al-Rasheed NM, Al-Rasheed NM, Fatani AJ, Atteya M. Role of quercetin and arginine in ameliorating nano zinc oxide-induced nephrotoxicity in rats. BMC Complement Altern Med 2012; 12:60.
39. Sadar S, Kaspate D, Vyawahare N. Protective effect of L-glutamine against diabetes-induced nephropathy in experimental animal: Role of KIM-1, NGAL, TGF-beta1, and collagen-1. Ren Fail 2016; 38:1483-1495.
40. Arivazhagan P, Thilakavathy T, Panneerselvam C. Antioxidant lipoate and tissue anti-oxidants in aged rats. J Nutr Biochem 2000; 11:122-127.
41. Ahmadvand H, Tavafi M, Khosrowbeygi A. Amelioration of altered anti-oxidant enzymes activity and glomerulosclerosis by coenzyme Q10 in alloxan-induced diabetic rats. J Diabetes Complications 2012; 26:476-482.
42. Aboonabi A, Rahmat A, Othman F. Anti-oxidant effect of pomegranate against streptozotocin-nicotinamide generated oxidative stress induced diabetic rats. Toxicol Rep 2014; 1:915-922.
43. Yan SL, Wu ST, Yin MC, Chen HT, Chen HC. Protective effects from carnosine and histidine on acetaminophen-induced liver injury. J Food Sci 2009; 74:259-265.
44. Watanabe M, Nakashima H, Mochizuki S, Abe Y, Ishimura A, Ito K, et al. Amelioration of diabetic nephropathy in OLETF rats by prostaglandin I(2) analog, beraprost sodium. Am J Nephrol 2009; 30:1-11.
45. Cheng H, Harris RC. Renal endothelial dysfunction in diabetic nephropathy. Cardiovasc Hematol Disord Drug Targets 2014; 14:22-33.
46. Gorudko I, Kostevich A, Sokolov A, Konstatinova E, Tsapaeva N, Mironova E, et al. Increased myelopepoxidase activity is a risk factor for ishemic heart disease in patients with diabetes mellitus. Biomeditsinskaia khimiia 2012; 58:475-484.
47. Vita JA, Brennan ML, Gokce N, Mann SA, Goormastic M, Shishehbor MH, et al. Serum myeloperoxidase levels independently predict endothelial dysfunction in humans. Circulation 2004; 110:1134-1139.
48. Madar Z, Kalet-Litman S, Stark AH. Inducible nitric oxide synthase activity and expression in liver and hepatocytes of diabetic rats. Pharmacology 2005; 73:106-112.
49. Zhang H, Tsao RJCOiFS. Dietary polyphenols, oxidative stress and anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory effects. 2016; 8:33-42.
50. Yagmurca M, Erdogan H, Iraz M, Songur A, Ucar M, Fadillioglu E. Caffeic acid phenethyl ester as a protective agent against doxorubicin nephrotoxicity in rats. Clin Chim Acta 2004; 348:27-34.
51. Todorova VK, Kaufmann Y, Hennings L, Klimberg VS. Oral glutamine protects against acute doxorubicin-induced cardiotoxicity of tumor-bearing rats. J Nutr 2010; 140:44-48.
52. Navarro JF, Milena FJ, Mora C, Leon C, Garcia J. Renal pro-inflammatory cytokine gene expression in diabetic nephropathy: effect of angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibition and pentoxifylline administration. Am J Nephrol 2006; 26:562-570.
53. Andou A, Hisamatsu T, Okamoto S, Chinen H, Kamada N, Kobayashi T, et al. Dietary histidine ameliorates murine colitis by inhibition of proinflammatory cytokine production from macrophages. Gastroenterology 2009; 136:564-574.e562.
54. Sadi G, Eryilmaz N, Tutuncuoglu E, Cingir S, Guray T. Changes in expression profiles of anti-oxidant enzymes in diabetic rat kidneys. Diabetes Metab Res Rev 2012; 28:228-235.
55. Matsunami T, Sato Y, Sato T, Ariga S, Shimomura T, Yukawa M. Oxidative stress and gene expression of anti-oxidant enzymes in the streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats under hyperbaric oxygen exposure. Int J Clin Exp Pathol 2010; 3:177-188.
56. Cao C, Leng Y, Huang W, Liu X, Kufe D. Glutathione peroxidase 1 is regulated by the c-Abl and Arg tyrosine kinases. J Biol Chem 2003; 278:39609-39614.
57. Reddi AS, Bollineni JS. Renal cortical expression of mRNAs for anti-oxidant enzymes in normal and diabetic rats. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 1997; 235:598-601.
58. Limaye PV, Raghuram N, Sivakami S. Oxidative stress and gene expression of anti-oxidant enzymes in the renal cortex of streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. Mol Cell Biochem 2003; 243:147-152.