1. Kwak SH, Park KS. Recent progress in genetic and epigenetic research on type 2 diabetes. Exp Mol Med 2016; 48: e220.
2. Tomita T. Apoptosis in pancreatic beta-islet cells in Type 2 diabetes. Bosn J Basic Med Sci 2016; 16: 162-179.
3. Butler AE, Janson J, Bonner-Weir S, Ritzel R, Rizza RA, Butler PC. Beta-cell deficit and increased beta-cell apoptosis in humans with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes 2003; 52: 102-110.
4. Lim S, Rashid MA, Jang M, Kim Y, Won H, Lee J, et al. Mitochondria-targeted anti-oxidants protect pancreatic beta-cells against oxidative stress and improve insulin secretion in glucotoxicity and glucolipotoxicity. Cell Physiol Biochem 2011; 28: 873-886.
5. Tang C, Han P, Oprescu AI, Lee SC, Gyulkhandanyan AV, Chan GN, et al. Evidence for a role of superoxide generation in glucose-induced beta-cell dysfunction in vivo. Diabetes 2007; 56: 2722-2731.
6. Pi J, Collins S. Reactive oxygen species and uncoupling protein 2 in pancreatic beta-cell function. Diabetes Obes Metab 2010; 12 Suppl 2: 141-148.
7. Rehman K, Akash MSH. Mechanism of generation of oxidative stress and pathophysiology of type 2 diabetes mellitus: How are they interlinked? J Cell Biochem 2017; 118: 3577-3585.
8. Alnahdi A, John A, Raza H. N-acetyl cysteine attenuates oxidative stress and glutathione-dependent redox imbalance caused by high glucose/high palmitic acid treatment in pancreatic
Rin-5F cells. PLos One 2019; 14:e0226696.
9. Wang S, Zhang J, Deng X, Zhao Y, Xu K. Advances in characterization of SIRT3 deacetylation targets in mitochondrial function. Biochimie 2020; 179: 1-13.
10. Sundaresan NR, Gupta M, Kim G, Rajamohan SB, Isbatan A, Gupta MP. Sirt3 blocks the cardiac hypertrophic response by augmenting Foxo3a-dependent anti-oxidant defense mechanisms in mice. J Clin Invest 2009; 119: 2758-2771.
11. Salvatori I, Valle C, Ferri A, Carri MT. SIRT3 and mitochondrial metabolism in neurodegenerative diseases. Neurochem Int 2017; 109: 184-192.
12. Gaul DS, Weber J, van Tits LJ, Sluka S, Pasterk L, Reiner MF, et al. Loss of Sirt3 accelerates arterial thrombosis by increasing formation of neutrophil extracellular traps and plasma tissue factor activity. Cardiovasc Res 2018; 114: 1178-1188.
13. Caton PW, Richardson SJ, Kieswich J, Bugliani M, Holland ML, Marchetti P, et al. Sirtuin 3 regulates mouse pancreatic beta cell function and is suppressed in pancreatic islets isolated from human type 2 diabetic patients. Diabetologia 2013; 56: 1068-1077.
14. D’Andrea G. Quercetin: A flavonol with multifaceted therapeutic applications? Fitoterapia 2015; 106: 256-271.
15. Ashrafizadeh M, Samarghandian S, Hushmandi K, Zabolian A, Shahinozzaman M, Saleki H, et al. Quercetin in attenuation of ischemic/reperfusion injury: A review. Curr Mol Pharmacol 2020.
16. Elumalai P, Lakshmi S. Role of Quercetin Benefits in Neurodegeneration. Adv Neurobiol 2016; 12: 229-245.
17. Patel RV, Mistry BM, Shinde SK, Syed R, Singh V, Shin HS. Therapeutic potential of quercetin as a cardiovascular agent. Eur J Med Chem 2018; 155: 889-904.
18. Heo HJ, Lee CY. Protective effects of quercetin and vitamin C against oxidative stress-induced neurodegeneration. J Agric Food Chem 2004; 52: 7514-7517.
19. Lu Q, Hao M, Wu W, Zhang N, Isaac AT, Yin J, et al. Antidiabetic cataract effects of GbE, rutin and quercetin are mediated by the inhibition of oxidative stress and polyol pathway. Acta Biochim Pol 2018; 65: 35-41.
20. Kunasegaran T, Mustafa MR, Achike FI, Murugan DD. Quercetin and pioglitazone synergistically reverse endothelial dysfunction in isolated aorta from fructose-streptozotocin (F-STZ)-induced diabetic rats. Eur J Pharmacol 2017; 799: 160-170.
21. Lu Q, Ji XJ, Zhou YX, Yao XQ, Liu YQ, Zhang F, et al. Quercetin inhibits the mTORC1/p70S6K signaling-mediated renal tubular epithelial-mesenchymal transition and renal fibrosis in diabetic nephropathy. Pharmacol Res 2015; 99: 237-247.
22. Wang JY, Liu S, Qin N, Yang QQ, Guo H, Zhang F, et al. Jak2/Stat1 pathway mediated tetrahydrobiopterin up-regulation contributes to nitric oxide overproduction in high-glucose cultured rat mesangial cells. Can J Physiol Pharmacol 2015; 93: 81-89.
23. Donath MY, Gross DJ, Cerasi E, Kaiser N. Hyperglycemia-induced beta-cell apoptosis in pancreatic islets of Psammomys obesus during development of diabetes. Diabetes 1999; 48: 738-744.
24. Alvarez-Arellano L, Salazar-Garcia M, Corona JC. Neuroprotective Effects of quercetin in pediatric neurological diseases. Molecules 2020; 25.
25. Yang D, Wang T, Long M, Li P. Quercetin: Its main pharmacological activity and potential application in clinical medicine. Oxid Med Cell Longev 2020; 2020: 8825387.
26. Khorsandi L, Orazizadeh M, Niazvand F, Abbaspour MR, Mansouri E, Khodadadi A. Quercetin induces apoptosis and necroptosis in MCF-7 breast cancer cells. Bratisl Lek Listy 2017; 118: 123-128.
27. Mutlu Altundag E, Yilmaz AM, Kocturk S, Taga Y, Yalcin AS. Synergistic induction of apoptosis by quercetin and curcumin in chronic myeloid leukemia (K562) cells. Nutr Cancer 2018; 70: 97-108.
28. Liu Y, Gong W, Yang ZY, Zhou XS, Gong C, Zhang TR, et al. Quercetin induces protective autophagy and apoptosis through ER stress via the p-STAT3/Bcl-2 axis in ovarian cancer. Apoptosis 2017; 22: 544-557.
29. Feng K, Chen Z, Pengcheng L, Zhang S, Wang X. Quercetin attenuates oxidative stress-induced apoptosis via SIRT1/AMPK-mediated inhibition of ER stress in rat chondrocytes and prevents the progression of osteoarthritis in a rat model. J Cell Physiol 2019; 234: 18192-18205.
30. He Y, Cao X, Guo P, Li X, Shang H, Liu J, et al. Quercetin induces autophagy via FOXO1-dependent pathways and autophagy suppression enhances quercetin-induced apoptosis in PASMCs in hypoxia. Free Radic Biol Med 2017; 103: 165-176.
31. Hashemzaei M, Delarami Far A, Yari A, Heravi RE, Tabrizian K, Taghdisi SM, et al. Anticancer and apoptosisinducing effects of quercetin in vitro and in vivo. Oncol Rep 2017; 38: 819-828.
32. Goboza M, Meyer M, Aboua YG, Oguntibeju OO. In Vitro antidiabetic and anti-oxidant effects of different extracts of catharanthus roseus and its indole alkaloid, vindoline. Molecules 2020; 25:5546.
33. Moens C, Bensellam M, Himpe E, Muller CJF, Jonas JC, Bouwens L. Aspalathin protects insulin-producing beta cells against glucotoxicity and oxidative stress-induced cell death. Mol Nutr Food Res 2020; 64: e1901009.
34. Fridlyand LE, Philipson LH. Does the glucose-dependent insulin secretion mechanism itself cause oxidative stress in pancreatic beta-cells? Diabetes 2004; 53: 1942-1948.
35. Lenzen S, Drinkgern J, Tiedge M. Low anti-oxidant enzyme gene expression in pancreatic islets compared with various other mouse tissues. Free Radic Biol Med 1996; 20: 463-466.
36. Grankvist K, Marklund SL, Taljedal IB. CuZn-superoxide dismutase, Mn-superoxide dismutase, catalase and glutathione peroxidase in pancreatic islets and other tissues in the mouse. Biochem J 1981; 199: 393-398.
37. Farombi EO, Onyema OO. Monosodium glutamate-induced oxidative damage and genotoxicity in the rat: modulatory role of vitamin C, vitamin E and quercetin. Hum Exp Toxicol 2006; 25: 251-259.
38. Alam MM, Meerza D, Naseem I. Protective effect of quercetin on hyperglycemia, oxidative stress and DNA damage in alloxan induced type 2 diabetic mice. Life Sci 2014; 109: 8-14.
39. Shi GJ, Li Y, Cao QH, Wu HX, Tang XY, Gao XH, et al. In vitro and in vivo evidence that quercetin protects against diabetes and its complications: A systematic review of the literature. Biomed Pharmacother 2019; 109: 1085-1099.
40. Lei D, Chengcheng L, Xuan Q, Yibing C, Lei W, Hao Y, et al. Quercetin inhibited mesangial cell proliferation of early diabetic nephropathy through the Hippo pathway. Pharmacol Res 2019; 146: 104320.
41. Xie J, Song W, Liang X, Zhang Q, Shi Y, Liu W, et al. Protective effect of quercetin on streptozotocin-induced diabetic peripheral neuropathy rats through modulating gut microbiota and reactive oxygen species level. Biomed Pharmacother 2020; 127: 110147.
42. McDonnell E, Peterson BS, Bomze HM, Hirschey MD. SIRT3 regulates progression and development of diseases of aging. Trends Endocrinol Metab 2015; 26: 486-492.
43. Singh CK, Chhabra G, Ndiaye MA, Garcia-Peterson LM, Mack NJ, Ahmad N. The role of sirtuins in anti-oxidant and redox signaling. Antioxid Redox Signal 2018; 28: 643-661.
44. Lee J, Kim Y, Liu T, Hwang YJ, Hyeon SJ, Im H, et al. SIRT3 deregulation is linked to mitochondrial dysfunction in Alzheimer’s disease. Aging Cell 2018; 17:e12679.
45. Wu J, Zeng Z, Zhang W, Deng Z, Wan Y, Zhang Y, et al. Emerging role of SIRT3 in mitochondrial dysfunction and cardiovascular diseases. Free Radic Res 2019; 53: 139-149.
46. Rangarajan P, Karthikeyan A, Lu J, Ling EA, Dheen ST. Sirtuin 3 regulates Foxo3a-mediated anti-oxidant pathway in microglia. Neuroscience 2015; 311: 398-414.
47. Zhang DY, Zhang CF, Fu BC, Sun L, Wang XQ, Chen W, et al. Sirtuin3 protects aged human mesenchymal stem cells against oxidative stress and enhances efficacy of cell therapy for ischaemic heart diseases. J Cell Mol Med 2018; 22: 5504-5517.
48. Song C, Peng W, Yin S, Zhao J, Fu B, Zhang J, et al. Melatonin improves age-induced fertility decline and attenuates ovarian mitochondrial oxidative stress in mice. Sci Rep 2016; 6: 35165.
49. Youl E, Bardy G, Magous R, Cros G, Sejalon F, Virsolvy A, et al. Quercetin potentiates insulin secretion and protects INS-1 pancreatic beta-cells against oxidative damage via the ERK1/2 pathway. Br J Pharmacol 2010; 161: 799-814.
50. Youl E, Magous R, Cros G, Oiry C. MAP Kinase cross talks in oxidative stress-induced impairment of insulin secretion. Involvement in the protective activity of quercetin. Fundam Clin Pharmacol 2014; 28: 608-615.