1. Zhong HH, Hu SJ, Yu B, Jiang SS, Zhang J, Luo D, et al. Apoptosis in the aging liver. Oncotarget. 2017; 8:102640-102652.
2. Desoutter M, de la Roche S, Pépin M, Sellier C CT. Normal sensory aging. Soins Gerontol 2020; 25:12–13.
3. Carulli L and Anzivino C. Telomere and telomerase in chronic liver disease and hepatocarcinoma. World J Gastroenterol 2014; 20:6287–6292.
4. Kronfol MM, Jahr FM, Dozmorov MG, Phansalkar PS, Xie LY, Aberg KA, et al. DNA methylation and histone acetylation changes to cytochrome P450 2E1 regulation in normal aging and impact on rates of drug metabolism in the liver. Geroscience 2020; 42:819–832.
5. Sahin E, Colla S, Liesa M, Moslehi J, Mu¨ller FL, Guo M, et al. Telomere dysfunction induces metabolic and mitochondrial compromise. Nature 2013; 470:359–365.
6. Bagheri A, Maassoumi AA, Rahiminejad MR, and Brassac J. Molecular phylogeny and divergence times of Astragalus section Hymenostegis : An analysis of a rapidly diversifying species group in Fabaceae. Sci Rep 2017; 7: 1-9.
7. Shahzad M, Shabbir A, Wojcikowski K, Wohlmuth H, Gobe GC. The anti-oxidant effects of radix astragali (Astragalus membranaceus and related species) in protecting tissues from injury and disease. Curr Drug Targets 2016; 17:1331-1340.
8. Zhao M, Zhang ZF, Ding Y, Wang JB, Li Y. Astragalus polysaccharide improves palmitate-induced insulin resistance by inhibiting PTP1B and NF-κB in C2C12 myotubes. Molecules 2012; 17:7083–7092.
9. Cao H, Zhai Y, Ji X, Wang Y, Zhao J, Xing J, et al. Noncoding telomeric repeat-containing RNA inhibits the progression of hepatocellular carcinoma by regulating telomerase-mediated telomere length. Cancer Sci 2020; 111:2789–2802.
10. Wan T, Weir E, Johnson M, Korolchuk V SG. Increased telomerase improves motor function and alpha-synuclein pathology in a transgenic mouse model of Parkinson’s disease associated with enhanced autophagy. Prog Neurobiol 2021; 199:1–14.
11. Szabo NJ. Dietary safety of cycloastragenol from Astragalus spp.: Subchronic toxicity and genotoxicity studies. Food Chem Toxicol 2014; 64:322–334.
12. Ismail T, Sestili P, Akhtar S. Pomegranate peel and fruit extracts: A review of potential anti-inflammatory and anti-infective effects. J Ethnopharmacol 2012; 143:397–405.
13. Zahin M, Aqil F, Ahmad I. Broad spectrum antimutagenic activity of anti-oxidant active fraction of Punica granatum L. peel extracts. Mutat Res 2010; 703:99-107.
14. El-Hadary AE, Taha M. Pomegranate peel methanolic-extract improves the shelf-life of edible oils under accelerated oxidation conditions. Food Sci Nutr 2020; 8: 1798–1811.
15. Akhtar S, Ismail T, Layla A. Pomegranate Bioactive Molecules and Health Benefits. In: Mérillon JM., Ramawat K. (eds) Bioactive Molecules in Food. Reference Series in Phytochemistry. Springer, Cham. 2019; pp 1253–1279.
16. Alshinnawy AS, Taha AM, El-Sayed WM, Sayed AA, Salem AM. Astragalus membranaceus telomerase activator-65 and Punica granatum supplements improved infertility and renal dysfunction in aged rats. Turkish J Biol 2020; 44: 166–175.
17. Packer L. Oxygen radicals in biological systems. Methods Enzymol 1984; 105:113.
18. Bradford MM. A rapid and sensitive method for the quantitation of microgram quantities of protein utilizing the principle of protein-dye binding. Anal Biochem 1976; 72: 248-254.
19. Esterbauer H and Cheeseman KH. Determination of aldehydic lipid peroxidation products: Malonaldehyde and 4-hydroxynonenal. Methods Enzymol 1990; 186:407-421.
20. Habig WH, Pabst MJ, Jakoby WB. Glutathione S transferases. The first enzymatic step in mercapturic acid formation. J Biol Chem 1974; 249:7130–7139.
21. Kamada S, Washida M, Hasegawa JI, Kusano H, Funahashi Y, Tsujimoto Y. Involvement of caspase-4(-like) protease in Fas-mediated apoptotic pathway. Oncogene 1997; 15:285-290.
22. García-Iglesias MJ, Cuevas-Higuera JL, Bastida-Sáenz A, de Garnica-García MG, Polledo L, Perero P, et al. Immunohistochemical detection of p53 and pp53 Ser392 in canine hemangiomas and hemangiosarcomas located in the skin. BMC Vet Res 2020; 16: 239-251.
23. Shehadat S Al, Gorduysus MO, Sheikh S, Hamid A, Abdullah NA, Samsudin AR, et al. Optimization of scanning electron microscope technique for amniotic membrane investigation: A preliminary study. Eur J Dent 2018; 12: 574-578.
24. Jaul E and Barron J. Age-Related diseases and clinical and public health implications for the 85 years old and over population. Front. Public Health 2017; 5:1-7.
25. Maynard S, Fang EF, Scheibye-Knudsen M, Croteau DL, Bohr VA. DNA Damage, DNA Repair, Aging, and Neurodegeneration. Cold Spring Harb Perspect Med 2015; 5: a025130.
26. Arai T, Ohtsuka T, Yonezawa T, Yamamoto I, Megumi Fujiwara H. Alterations with age in peripheral blood lymphocyte subpopulations and cytokine synthesis in beagles. Vet Med Res Reports 2012; 3:79–84.
27. Radakovich LB, Pannone SC, Truelove MP, Olver CS, Santangelo KS. Hematology and biochemistry of aging-evidence of “anemia of the elderly” in old dogs. Vet Clin Pathol 2017; 46:34-45.
28. Zhao Y, Li Q, Zhao W, Li J, Sun Y, Liu K, et al. Astragaloside IV and cycloastragenol are equally effective in inhibition of endoplasmic reticulum stress-associated TXNIP/NLRP3 inflammasome activation in the endothelium. J Ethnopharmacol 2015; 169:210–218.
29. Zheng Y, Ren W, Zhang L, Zhang Y, Liu D, Liu Y. A review of the pharmacological action of Astragalus polysaccharide. Front Pharmacol 2020; 11: 349.
30. Fornelli G and Isaia GC. Ageing, muscle and bone. J Gerontol Geriatr 2016; 64:75–80.
31. Chen LY, Wu YH, Liu LK, Lee WJ, Hwang AC, Peng LN, et al. Association among serum insulin-like growth factor-1, frailty, muscle mass, bone mineral density, and physical performance among community-dwelling middle-aged and older adults in Taiwan. Rejuvenation Res 2018; 21:270–277.
32. Weissleder C, Barry G, Fung SJ, Wong MW, Double KL, Webster MJ, et al. Reduction in IGF1 mRNA in the human subependymal zone during aging. Aging Dis 2019; 10:197-204.
33. Handayaningsih AE, Iguchi G, Fukuoka H, Nishizawa H, Takahashi M, Yamamoto M, et al. Reactive oxygen species play an essential role in IGF-I signaling and IGF-I-induced myocyte hypertrophy in C2C12 myocytes. Endocrinology 2011; 152:912–921.
34. Tan L, Wei T, Yuan A, He J, Liu J, Xu D, et al. Dietary supplementation of Astragalus polysaccharides enhanced immune components and growth factors EGF and IGF-1 in sow colostrum. J Immunol Res 2017; 2017:1–6.
35. Wang N, Zhang D, Mao X, Zou F, Jin H, Ouyang J. Astragalus polysaccharides decreased the expression of PTP1B through relieving ER stress induced activation of ATF6 in a rat model of type 2 diabetes. Mol Cell Endocrinol 2009; 307:89–98.
36. Momenah MA. Redox potential of pomegranate (punica granatum) and boldo (peumus boldus) included in the diets of New Zealand white rabbits. Asian J Anim Vet Adv 2017; 12:218–226.
37. Maurya PK and Rizvi SI. Age-dependent changes in glutathione S-transferase: Correlation with total plasma anti-oxidant potential and red cell intracellular glutathione. Indian J Clin Biochem 2010; 25:398–400.
38. Yodoi J, Matsuo Y, Tian H, Masutani H, Inamoto T. Anti-inflammatory thioredoxin family proteins for medicare, healthcare and aging care. Nutrients 2017; 9:1–12.
39. Muri J, Heer S, Matsushita M, Pohlmeier L, Tortola L, Fuhrer T, et al. The thioredoxin-1 system is essential for fueling reprogramming and proliferation. Nat Commun 2018; 9: 1851.
40. Lee S, Kim SM, Lee RT. Thioredoxin and thioredoxin target proteins: From molecular mechanisms to functional significance. Antioxid Redox Signal 2013; 18:1165–1207.
41. Vranković J. Age-related changes in anti-oxidant and glutathione S-transferase enzyme activities in the Asian clam. Biochem 2016; 81:224–232.
42. El-Sokkary GH, Alghriany ASAI, Atia MM. Protictive effects of green tea and garlic on the morphological and oxidative stress changes of hippocampus in aged male and female albino rats. J Histol Histopathol 2018; 5:8–17.
43. Manikandan P and Nagini S. Cytochrome P450 structure, function and clinical significance: A review. Curr Drug Targets 2018; 19:38-54.
44. Xu S, Hu A, Xie L, Liu J, Wu Q, Liu J. Age-associated changes of cytochrome P450 and related phase-2 gene/proteins in livers of rats. Peer J 2019; 7:e7429.
45. Klotz U. Pharmacokinetics and drug metabolism in the elderly. Drug Metab Rev 2009; 41:67–76.
46. Zhang Y, Huang L, Bi H, Cui Y, Li J, Wang X, et al. Study of the upregulation of the activity of cytochrome P450 3A isoforms by Astragalus injection and Astragalus granules in rats and in cells. Eur J Drug Metab Pharmacokinet 2013; 38:105–113.
47. Ale-Agha N, Dyballa-Rukes N, Jakob S, Altschmied J, Haendeler J. Cellular functions of the dual-targeted catalytic subunit of telomerase, telomerase reverse transcriptase - Potential role in senescence and aging. Exp Gerontol 2014; 56:189–193.
48. Li Y, Cheng HS, Chng WJ, Tergaonkar V. Activation of mutant TERT promoter by RAS-ERK signaling is a key step in malignant progression of BRAF-mutant human melanomas. Proc Natl Acad Sci 2016; 113:14402–14407.
49. Jaskelioff M, Muller FL, Paik J, Thomas E, Jiang S, Sahin E, et al. Telomerase reactivation reverses tissue degeneration in aged telomerase-deficient mice. Nature 2011; 469:102–106.
50. Bernardes de Jesus B, Schneeberger K, Vera E, Tejera A, Harley C, and Blasco M. The telomerase activator TA-65 elongates short telomeres and increases health span of adult/old mice without increasing cancer incidence. Aging Cell 2011; 10:604–621.
51. Vousden KH and Prives C. Blinded by the light: The growing complexity of p53. Cell 2009; 137: 413–431.
52. Amaral JD, Xavier JM, Steer CJ, Rodrigues CM. The role of p53 in apoptosis. Discovery medicine 2010; 9: 145–152.
53. Wang Z, Lin Y, Jin S, Wei T, Zheng Z, Chen W. Bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells improve thymus and spleen function of aging rats through affecting P21/PCNA and suppressing oxidative stress. Aging 2020;12: 11386-11397.
54. Kokubun T, Saitoh SI, Miura S, Ishida T, Takeishi Y. Telomerase plays a pivotal role in collateral growth under ischemia by suppressing age-induced oxidative stress, expression of p53, and pro-apoptotic proteins: Collateral growth related to telomerase. Int Heart J 2019; 60:736–745.
55. Hassanen EI, Tohamy AF, Issa MY, Ibrahim MA, Farroh KY, Hassan AM. Pomegranate juice diminishes the mitochondria-dependent cell death and Nf-kB signaling pathway induced by copper oxide nanoparticles on the liver and kidneys of rats. Int J Nanomedicine 2019; 14:8905–8922.
56. Hany M. Yehia. Antimicrobial activity of pomegranate rind peel extracts. African J Microbiol Res 2011; 4: 3664-3668.