1. Escobar-Morreale HF. Polycystic ovary syndrome: definition, aetiology, diagnosis and treatment. Nat Rev Endocrinol. 2018;14:270-284.
2. Astapova O, Minor BMN, Hammes SR. Physiological and pathological androgen actions in the ovary. Endocrinology. 2019;160:1166-1174.
3. Krentowska A, Kowalska I. Metabolic syndrome and its components in different phenotypes of polycystic ovary syndrome. Diabetes Metab Res Rev. 2021:e3464.
4. Tamadon A, Hu W, Cui P, Ma T, Tong X, Zhang F, et al. How to choose the suitable animal model of polycystic ovary syndrome? Traditional Medicine and Modern Medicine. 2018;1:95-113.
5. Abruzzese GA, Heber MF, Ferreira SR, Ferrer MJ, Motta AB. Prenatal androgen exposure affects ovarian lipid metabolism and steroid biosynthesis in rats. J Endocrinol. 2020;247:239-250.
6. Kawwass JF, Sanders KM, Loucks TL, Rohan LC, Berga SL. Increased cerebrospinal fluid levels of GABA, testosterone and estradiol in women with polycystic ovary syndrome. Hum Reprod. 2017;32:1450-1456.
7. Paixão L, Ramos RB, Lavarda A, Morsh DM, Spritzer PM. Animal models of hyperandrogenism and ovarian morphology changes as features of polycystic ovary syndrome: a systematic review. Reprod Biol Endocrinol 2017;15:12-22.
8. Kafali H, Iriadam M, Ozardali I, Demir N. Letrozole-induced polycystic ovaries in the rat: a new model for cystic ovarian disease. Arch Med Res. 2004;35:103-108.
9. Mehdinejadiani S, Amidi F, Mehdizadeh M, Barati M, Safdarian L, Aflatoonian R, et al. The effects of letrozole and clomiphene citrate on ligands expression of Wnt3, Wnt7a, and Wnt8b in proliferative endometrium of women with Polycystic ovarian syndrome. Gynecol Endocrinol 2018;34:775-780.
10. Steiner N, Shrem G, Tannus S, Dahan SY, Balayla J, Volodarsky-Perel A, et al. Effect of GnRH agonist and letrozole treatment in women with recurrent implantation failure. Fertil Steril 2019;112:98-104.
11. Yun J, Choi YS, Lee I, Won YB, Lee JH, Seo SK, et al. Comparison of congenital malformations among babies born after administration of letrozole or clomiphene citrate for infertility treatment in a Korean cohort. Reprod Toxicol 2018;82:88-93.
12. Bizzarri C, Cappa M. Ontogeny of hypothalamus-pituitary gonadal axis and minipuberty: An ongoing debate? Front Endocrinol (Lausanne) 2020;11:187.
13. Patisaul HB. Endocrine disruption and reproductive disorders:impacts on sexually dimorphic neuroendocrine pathways. Reproduction 2021;1(aop).
14. Ibanez L, de Zegher F, Potau N. Anovulation after precocious pubarche: early markers and time course in adolescence. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1999;84:2691-2695.
15. Bakker J, Baum MJ. Role for estradiol in female-typical brain and behavioral sexual differentiation. Front Neuroendocrinol. 2008;29:1-16.
16. Lephart ED. A review of brain aromatase cytochrome P450. Brain Res Brain Res Rev 1996;22:1-26.
17. Vandenbergh JG, Huggett CL. The anogenital distance index, a predictor of the intrauterine position effects on reproduction in female house mice. Lab Anim Sci 1995;45:567-573.
18. Marcondes F, Bianchi F, Tanno A. Determination of the estrous cycle phases of rats: some helpful considerations. Braz J Biol 2002;62:609-614.
19. Chaudhari N, Dawalbhakta M, Nampoothiri L. GnRH dysregulation in polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) is a manifestation of an altered neurotransmitter profile. Reprod Biol Endocrinol 2018;16:37-49.
20. Kauffman AS, Thackray VG, Ryan GE, Tolson KP, Glidewell-Kenney CA, Semaan SJ, et al. A novel letrozole model recapitulates both the reproductive and metabolic phenotypes of polycystic ovary syndrome in female mice. Biol Reprod 2015;93:1-12.
21. Feng Y, Johansson J, Shao R, Manneras L, Fernandez-Rodriguez J, Billig H, et al. Hypothalamic neuroendocrine functions in rats with dihydrotestosterone-induced polycystic ovary syndrome: effects of low-frequency electro-acupuncture. PLoS One 2009;4:e6638.
22. Han X, He Y, Zeng G, Wang Y, Sun W, Liu J, et al. Intracerebroventricular injection of RFRP-3 delays puberty onset and stimulates growth hormone secretion in female rats. Reprod Biol Endocrinol 2017;15:35-44.
23. Esparza LA, Schafer D, Ho BS, Thackray VG, Kauffman AS. Hyperactive LH pulses and elevated kisspeptin and NKB gene expression in the arcuate nucleus of a PCOS mouse model. Endocrinology. 2020;16:bqaa018.
24. Iwasa T, Matsuzaki T, Yano K, Mayila Y, Yanagihara R, Yamamoto Y, et al. Prenatal undernutrition affects the phenotypes of PCOS model rats. J Endocrinol. 2018;239:137-151.
25. Aliabadi E, Namavar MR, Mortezaee K, Toolee H, Keshtgar S, Mirkhani H, et al. Kisspeptin expression features in the arcuate and anteroventral periventricular nuclei of hypothalamus of letrozole-induced polycystic ovarian syndrome in rats. Arch Gynecol Obstet. 2017;296:957-963.
26. Osuka S, Iwase A, Nakahara T, Kondo M, Saito A, Nakamura T, et al. Kisspeptin in the hypothalamus of 2 rat models of polycystic ovary syndrome. Endocrinology 2017;158):367-377.
27. Shaaban Z, Jafarzadeh Shirazi MR, Nooranizadeh MH, Tamadon A, Rahmanifar F, Ahmadloo S, et al. Decreased expression of arginine-phenylalanine-amide-related peptide-3 gene in dorsomedial hypothalamic nucleus of constant light exposure model of polycystic ovarian syndrome. Int J Fertil Steril 2018;12:43-50.
28. Iwasa T, Matsuzaki T, Tungalagsuvd A, Munkhzaya M, Kuwahara A, Yasui T, et al. The advancement of the onset of vaginal opening in female rats subjected to chronic testosterone treatment occurs independently of hypothalamic Kiss1 and RFRP expression. Neuro Endocrinol Lett 2015;36:767-770.
29. Hafez ES, Kodituwakku GE. Postnatal development of the oviduct of intact and ovariectomized rabbits. J Morphol 1970;130:353-365.
30. Semaan SJ, Kauffman AS. Daily successive changes in reproductive gene expression and neuronal activation in the brains of pubertal female mice. Mol Cell Endocrinol 2015;401:84-97.
31. Zurvarra FM, Salvetti NR, Mason JI, Velazquez MM, Alfaro NS, Ortega HH. Disruption in the expression and immunolocalisation of steroid receptors and steroidogenic enzymes in letrozole-induced polycystic ovaries in rat. Reprod Fertil Dev 2009;21:827-839.
32. Baravalle C, Salvetti NR, Mira GA, Pezzone N, Ortega HH. Microscopic characterization of follicular structures in letrozole-induced polycystic ovarian syndrome in the rat. Arch Med Res. 2006;37:830-839.
33. Sir-Petermann T, Maliqueo M, Codner E, Echiburu B, Crisosto N, Pérez V, et al. Early metabolic derangements in daughters of women with polycystic ovary syndrome. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2007;92:4637-4642.
34. Xu G, Zhang A, Liu J, Wang X, Feng J, Chen Y. Effects of electroacupuncture on ovarian expression of the androgen receptor and connexin 43 in rats with letrozole-induced polycystic ovaries. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 2020;2020:3608062.
35. Tiboni GM, Ponzano A. Fetal safety profile of aromatase inhibitors: Animal data. Reprod Toxicol 2016;66:84-92.
36. Skarra DV, Hernández-Carretero A, Rivera AJ, Anvar AR, Thackray VG. Hyperandrogenemia induced by letrozole treatment of pubertal female mice results in hyperinsulinemia prior to weight gain and insulin resistance. Endocrinology 2017;158:2988-3003.
37. Torres PJ, Skarra DV, Ho BS, Sau L, Anvar AR, Kelley ST, et al. Letrozole treatment of adult female mice results in a similar reproductive phenotype but distinct changes in metabolism and the gut microbiome compared to pubertal mice. BMC Microbiol 2019;19:57.
38. Wu XY, Li ZL, Wu CY, Liu YM, Lin H, Wang SH, et al. Endocrine traits of polycystic ovary syndrome in prenatally androgenized female Sprague-Dawley rats. Endocr J 2010;57:201-209.
39. Tehrani FR, Noroozzadeh M, Zahediasl S, Piryaei A, Hashemi S, Azizi F. The time of prenatal androgen exposure affects development of polycystic ovary syndrome-like phenotype in adulthood in female rats. Int J Endocrinol Metab 2014;12:e16502ch.
40. Caldwell AS, Middleton LJ, Jimenez M, Desai R, McMahon AC, Allan CM, et al. Characterization of reproductive, metabolic, and endocrine features of polycystic ovary syndrome in female hyperandrogenic mouse models. Endocrinology 2014;155:3146-3159.
41. Sullivan SD, Moenter SM. Prenatal androgens alter GABAergic drive to gonadotropin-releasing hormone neurons: implications for a common fertility disorder. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2004;101:7129-7134.
42. Tandulwadkar SR, Lodha PA, Mangeshikar NT. Obstetric complications in women with IVF conceived pregnancies and polycystic ovarian syndrome. J Hum Reprod Sci 2014;7:13-18.
43. Birch RA, Padmanabhan V, Foster DL, Unsworth WP, Robinson JE. Prenatal programming of reproductive neuroendocrine function: fetal androgen exposure produces progressive disruption of reproductive cycles in sheep. Endocrinology 2003;144:1426-1434.
44. Foecking EM, Szabo M, Schwartz NB, Levine JE. Neuroendocrine consequences of prenatal androgen exposure in the female rat: absence of luteinizing hormone surges, suppression of progesterone receptor gene expression, and acceleration of the gonadotropin-releasing hormone pulse generator. Biol Reprod. 2005;72:1475-1483.
45. Manneras L, Cajander S, Holmäng A, Seleskovic Z, Lystig T, Lönn M, et al. A new rat model exhibiting both ovarian and metabolic characteristics of polycystic ovary syndrome. Endocrinology 2007;148:3781-3791.
46. Matsuzaki T, Tungalagsuvd A, Iwasa T, Munkhzaya M, Yanagihara R, Tokui T, et al. Kisspeptin mRNA expression is increased in the posterior hypothalamus in the rat model of polycystic ovary syndrome. Endocr J 2016;64:7-14.
47. Arroyo P, Ho BS, Sau L, Kelley ST, Thackray VG. Letrozole treatment of pubertal female mice results in activational effects on reproduction, metabolism and the gut microbiome. PLoS One 2019;14:e0223274.
48. Ryan GE, Malik S, Mellon PL. Antiandrogen treatment ameliorates reproductive and metabolic phenotypes in the letrozole-induced mouse model of PCOS. Endocrinology 2018;159:1734-47.
49. Agoreyo F, Okeke O. Quantitative evaluation of serum oestrogen levels in the three trimesters of pregnancy in albino rat. NISEB J 2018;14:77-79.
50. Kafali H, Iriadam M. A novel tocolytic agent: effects of letrozole on gestational length and parturition time. Am J Perinatol 2007;24:323-326.
51. Tiboni G, Marotta F, Rossi C, Giampietro F. Effects of the aromatase inhibitor letrozole on in utero development in rats. Human Reproduction 2008;23:1719-1723.
52. Tiboni G, Marotta F, Castigliego A, Rossi C. Impact of estrogen replacement on letrozole-induced embryopathic effects. Hum Reprod. 2009;24:2688-2692.
53. Boomsma C, Eijkemans M, Hughes E, Visser G, Fauser B, Macklon N. A meta-analysis of pregnancy outcomes in women with polycystic ovary syndrome. Hum Reprod Update. 2006;12:673-683.