1. Guzel E, Arlier S, Guzeloglu Kayisli O, Selcuk Tabak M, Ekiz T, Semerki N, et al. Endoplasmic reticulum stress and homeostasis in reproductive physiology and pathology. Int J Mol Sci 2017; 18:792-817.
2. Kincaid MM, Cooper AA. ERADicate ER stress or die trying. Antioxid Redox Signal 2007; 9:2373-2387.
3. Yin L, Dai Y, Cui Z, Jiang X, Liu W, Han F, et al. The regulation of cellular apoptosis by the ROS-triggered PERK/EIF2α/chop pathway plays a vital role in bisphenol A-induced male reproductive toxicity. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 2017; 314:98-108.
4. Zou L, Su L, Sun Y, Han A, Chang X, Zhu A, et al. Nickel sulfate induced apoptosis via activating ROS-dependent mitochondria and endoplasmic reticulum stress pathways in rat leydig cells. Environ Toxicol 2017; 32:1918-1926.
5. Ji YL, Wang Z, Wang H, Zhang C, Zhang Y, Chao M, et al. Ascorbic acid protects against cadmium induced endoplasmic reticulum stress and germ cell apoptosis in testes. Reprod Toxicol 2012; 34:357-363.
6. Schönthal AH. Pharmacological targeting of endoplasmic reticulum stress signaling in cancer. Biochem Pharmacol 2013; 85:653-666.
7. Abdullahi A, Stanojcic M, Parousis A, Patsouris D, Jeschke MG. Modeling acute ER stress in vivo and in vitro. Shock 2017; 47:506-513.
8. Tuñón MJ, San Miguel B, Crespo I, Laliena A, Vallejo D, Alvarez M, et al. Melatonin treatment reduces endoplasmic reticulum stress and modulates the unfolded protein response in rabbits with lethal fulminant hepatitis of viral origin. J Pineal Res 2013; 55:221-228.
9. Song J, Kim OY. Melatonin modulates neuronal cell death induced by endoplasmic reticulum stress under insulin resistance condition. Nutrients 2017; 9:593-618.
10. Du Z, Xu S, Hu S, Yang H, Zhoa Z, Sidhu K, et al. Melatonin attenuates detrimental effects of diabetes on the niche of mouse spermatogonial stem cells by maintaining leydig cells. Cell Death Dis 2018; 9:1-15.
11. Engin F, Hotamisligil G. Restoring endoplasmic reticulum function by chemical chaperones: an emerging therapeutic approach for metabolic diseases. Diabetes Obes Metab 2010; 12:108-115.
12. Ozcan L, Tabas I. Role of endoplasmic reticulum stress in metabolic disease and other disorders. Annu Rev Med 2012; 63:317-328.
13. Yamanaka T, Nukina N. ER dynamics and derangement in neurological diseases. Front Neurosci 2018; 12:91.
14. Hu W, Ma Z, Di S, Jiang S, Li Y, Fan C, et al. Snapshot: implications for melatonin in endoplasmic reticulum homeostasis. Br J Pharmacol 2016; 173:3431-3442.
15. Aslan M, Elpek Ö, Akkaya B, Balaban HT, Afşar E. Organ function, sphingolipid levels and inflammation in tunicamycin induced endoplasmic reticulum stress in male rats. Hum Exp Toxicol 2021; 40:259-273.
16. Mortazavi P, Ahmadnezhad B, Pousty I, Panahi N, Aghazadeh M, Shalikar M, et al. Renal protective effects of melatonin in rat treat by gemcitabine. Int J Vet Sci Res 2017; 3:74-77.
17. Guneli E, Tugyan K, Ozturk H, Gumustekin M, Cilaker S, Uysal N. Effect of melatonin on testicular damage in streptozotocin-induced diabetes rats. Eur Surg Res 2008; 40:354-360.
18. Liu D, Jin X, Zhang C, Shang Y. Sevoflurane relieves hepatic ischemia–reperfusion injury by inhibiting the expression of Grp78. Biosci Rep 2018; 38:1-10.
19. Hoppert M. Light microscopy. In: Hoppert M (ed). Microscopic techniques in biotechnology. vol.1, Wiley VCH; 2003, 1-145.
20. Culling C, Allison R, Barr W. Cellular pathology technique. 4rt ed. Mid-County Press; 1985, 23-46.
21. Olawuyi TS, Ukwenya VO, Jimoh AGA, Akinola KB. Histomorphometric evaluation of seminiferous tubules and stereological assessment of germ cells in testes following administration of aqueous leaf-extract of lawsonia inermis on aluminium-induced oxidative stress in adult Wistar rats. JBRA Assist Reprod 2019; 23:24-32.
22. Güleş Ö, Kum Ş, Yıldız M, Boyacioglu M, Ahmad E, Naseer Z, et al. Protective effect of coenzyme Q10 against bisphenol-A-induced toxicity in the rat testes. Toxicol Ind Health 2019; 35:466-481.
23. Narayana K, Prashanthi N, Nayanatara A, Bairy LK, DoSOUZA UJ. An organophosphate insecticide methyl parathion (o-o-dimethyl o-4-nitrophenyl phosphorothioate) induces cytotoxic damage and tubular atrophy in the testis despite elevated testosterone level in the rat. J Toxicol Sci 2006; 31:177-189.
24. Yi HM, Yi H, Zhu JF, Xiao T, Lu SS, Guan YJ, et al. A five-variable signature predicts radioresistance and prognosis in nasopharyngeal carcinoma patients receiving radical radiotherapy. Tumor Biol 2016; 37:2941-2949.
25. Matsuo K, Gray MJ, Yang DY, Srivastava SA, Tripathi PB, Sonoda LA et al. The endoplasmic reticulum stress marker, glucose-regulated protein-78 (GRP78) in visceral adipocytes predicts endometrial cancer progression and patient survival. Gynecol Oncol 2013; 128:552-559.
26. Kurien BT, Scofield RH. Western blotting: an introduction. Methods Mol Biol 2015; 1312:17-30.
27. Sun Y, Oberley LW, Li Y. A simple method for clinical assay of superoxide dismutase. Clin Chem 1988; 34:497-500.
28. Ohkawa H, Ohishi N, Yagi K. Assay for lipid peroxides in animal tissues by thiobarbituric acid reaction. Anal Biochem 1979; 95:351-358.
29. Yan WJ, Mu Y, Yu N, Yi TL, Zhang Y, Pang XI, et al. Protective effects of metformin on reproductive function in obese male rats induced by high-fat diet. J Assist Reprod Genet 2015; 32:1097-1104.
30. Jalilvand N, Hosseini M, Beheshti F, Ebrahimzadeh-Bideskan A. Protective effect of PPARγ agonist pioglitazone, on testicular tissue and sperm parameters in hypothyroid rats. Toxin Rev 2019; 39:1-10.
31. Marcon L, Hales BF, Robaire B. Reversibility of the effects of subchronic exposure to the cancer chemotherapeutics bleomycin, etoposide, and cisplatin on spermatogenesis, fertility, and progeny outcome in the male rat. J Androl 2008; 29:408-417.
32. Antonuccio P, Micali A, Puzzolo D, Romeo C, Vermiglio G, Squadrito V, et al. Nutraceutical effects of lycopene in experimental varicocele: an “In Vivo” model to study male ınfertility. Nutrients 2020; 12:1536-1550.
33. Huang D, Wei W, Xie F, Zhu X, Zheng L, Lv Z. Steroidogenesis decline accompanied with reduced antioxidation and endoplasmic reticulum stress in mice testes during ageing. Andrologia 2018; 50:1-7.
34. Zhao H, Ma N, Liu Z, Wang T, Yuan C, He Y, et al. Protective effect of Wuzi Yanzong recipe on testicular dysfunction through inhibition of germ cell apoptosis in ageing rats via endoplasmic reticulum stress. Andrologia 2019; 51:1-13.
35. Karna KK, Shin YS, Choi BR, Kim HK, Park JK. The role of endoplasmic reticulum stress response in male reproductive physiology and pathology: a review. World J Mens Health 2020; 38:484-494.
36. Cao SS, Kaufman RJ. Endoplasmic reticulum stress and oxidative stress in cell fate decision and human disease. Antioxid Redox Signal 2014; 21:396-413.
37. Tamura H, Jozaki M, Tanabe M, Shirafuta Y, Mihara Y, Shinagawa M, et al. Importance of melatonin in assisted reproductive technology and ovarian aging. Int J Mol Sci 2020; 21:1135-1151.
38. Lachance C, Fortier M, Thimon V, Sullivan R, Bailey JL, Leclerc P. Localization of Hsp60 and Grp78 in the human testis, epididymis and mature spermatozoa. Int J Androl 2010; 33:33-44.
39. Hebert Schuster M, Rotta BE, Kirkpatrick B, Guibourdenche J, Cohen M. The interplay between glucose-regulated protein 78 (GRP78) and steroids in the reproductive system. Int J Mol Sci 2018; 19:1842-1853.
40. Zhao H, Ma N, Chen Q, You X, Liu C, Wang T, et al. Decline in testicular function in ageing rats: changes in the unfolded protein response and mitochondrial apoptotic pathway. Exp Gerontol 2019; 127:110721-110731.
41. Gao Y, Wu X, Zhao S, Zhang Y, Ma H, Yang Z, et al. Melatonin receptor depletion suppressed hCG-induced testosterone expression in mouse leydig cells. Cell Mol Biol Lett 2019; 24:1-14.
42. Chen C, Ling My, Lin Fh, Xu L, Lv ZM. Melatonin appears to protect against steroidogenic collapse in both mice fed with high-fat diet and H2O2‐treated TM3 cells. Andrologia 2019; 51:1-9.
43. Zhang G, Liu K, Ling X, Wang Z, Zou P, Wang X, et al. DBP-induced endoplasmic reticulum stress in male germ cells causes autophagy, which has a cytoprotective role against apoptosis in vitro and in vivo. Toxicol Lett 2016; 245:86-98.
44. Ji YL, Wang H, Meng C, et al. Melatonin alleviates cadmium-induced cellular stress and germ cell apoptosis in testes. J Pineal Res 2012; 52:71-79.
45. Xu D, Liu L, Zhao Y, Yang L, Cheng J, Hua R, et al. Melatonin protects mouse testes from palmitic acid-induced lipotoxicity by attenuating oxidative stress and DNA damage in a SIRT1-dependent manner. J Pineal Res 2020; 69:1-20.
46. Cui Y, Ren L, Li B, Fang J, Zhai Y, He X, et al. Melatonin relieves busulfan-induced spermatogonial stem cell apoptosis of mouse testis by inhibiting endoplasmic reticulum stress. Cell Physiol Biochem 2017; 44:2407-2421.
47. Suganya N, Dornadula S, Chatterjee S, Mohanram RK. Quercetin improves endothelial function in diabetic rats through inhibition of endoplasmic reticulum stress-mediated oxidative stress. Eur J Pharmacol 2018; 819:80-88.
48. Moslehi A, Komeili-movahed T, Moslehi M. Antioxidant effects of amygdalin on tunicamycin-induced endoplasmic reticulum stress in the mice liver: cross talk between endoplasmic reticulum stress and oxidative stress. J Rep Pharm Sci 2019; 8:298-232.
49. Chen Y, Zhang H, Chen Y, Zhang Y, Shen M, Jia P, et al. Resveratrol alleviates endoplasmic reticulum stress–associated hepatic steatosis and injury in mice challenged with tunicamycin. Mol Nutr Food Res 2020; 64:1-36.
50. Suganya N, Bhakkiyalakshmi E, Suriyanarayanan S, Paulmurugan R, Ramkumar K. Quercetin ameliorates tunicamycin-induced endoplasmic reticulum stress in endothelial cells. Cell Prolif 2014; 47:231-240.
51. Bahrami N, Goudarzi M, Hosseinzadeh A, Sabbagh S, Reiter RJ, Mehrzadi S. Evaluating the protective effects of melatonin on di (2-ethylhexyl) phthalate-induced testicular injury in adult mice. Biomed Pharmacother 2018; 108:515-523.
52. Li R, Luo X, Li L, Peng Q, Yang Y, Zhao L, et al. The protective effects of melatonin against oxidative stress and inflammation induced by acute cadmium exposure in mice testis. Biol Trace Elem Res 2016; 170:152-164.
53. Peterson JE, Jago MV, Stewart PL. Permanent testicular damage induced in rats by a single dose of tunicamycin. Reprod Toxicol 1996; 10:61-69.
54. Muratoğlu S, Akarca Dizakar OS, Keskin Aktan A, Ömeroğlu S, Akbulut KG. The protective role of melatonin and curcumin in the testis of young and aged rats. Andrologia 2019; 51:1-10.
55. Kim SH, Lee IC, Baek HS, Shin IS, Moon C, Kim SH, et al. Melatonin prevents gentamicin-induced testicular toxicity and oxidative stress in rats. Andrologia 2014; 46:1032-1040.
56. Mehraein F, Negahdar F. Morphometric evaluation of seminiferous tubules in aged mice testes after melatonin administration. Cell J 2011; 13:1-4.
57. Bustos Obregón E, Poblete D, Catriao R, Fernandes FH. Protective role of melatonin in mouse spermatogenesis induced by sodium arsenite. Int J Morphol 2013; 31:849-856.
58. Uygur R, Aktas C, Caglar V, Uygur E, Erdogan H, Ozen OA. Protective effects of melatonin against arsenic-induced apoptosis and oxidative stress in rat testes. Toxicol Ind Health 2016; 32:848-859.
59. Li C, Zhou X. Melatonin and male reproduction. Clin Chim Acta 2015; 446:175-180.