1. Waanders F, Visser FW, Gans RO. Current concepts in the management of diabetic nephropathy. Neth J Med 2013; 71: 448-458.
2.Kanwar YS, Wada J, Sun L, Xie P, Wallner EI, Chen S, et al. Diabetic nephropathy: mechanisms of renal disease progression. Exp Biol Med (Maywood) 2008; 233: 4-11.
3. Wu CZ, Chang LC, Lin YF, Hung YJ, Pei D, Chen JS. Chaperonin-containing t-complex protein-1 subunit β as a possible biomarker for the phase of glomerular hyperfiltration of diabetic nephropathy. Dis Markers 2015;2015:548101.
4. Yuan Y, Sun H, Sun Z. Advanced glycation end products (AGEs) increase renal lipid accumulation: a pathogenic factor of diabetic nephropathy (DN). Lipids Health Dis 2017;16:126.
5. Sifuentes-Franco S, Padilla-Tejeda DE, Carrillo-Ibarra S, Miranda-Díaz AG. Oxidative stress, apoptosis, and mitochondrial function in diabetic nephropathy. Int J Endocrinol 2018:1875870.
6. Wada J, Makino H. Inflammation and the pathogenesis of diabetic nephropathy. Clin Sci (Lond) 2013; 124:139-152.
7. Fiorentino TV, Prioletta A, Zuo P, Folli F. Hyperglycemia-induced oxidative stress and its role in diabetes mellitus related cardiovascular diseases. Curr Pharm Des 2013; 19:5695-5703.
8. Forbes J. M., Coughlan M. T., Cooper M. E. Oxidative stress as a major culprit in kidney disease in diabetes. Diabetes 2008; 57:1446–1454.
9. Yan LJ1. Pathogenesis of chronic hyperglycemia: from reductive stress to oxidative stress. J Diabetes Res 2014; 2014:137919.
10. Kayama Y, Raaz U, Jagger A, Adam M, Schellinger IN, Sakamoto M, et al. Diabetic cardiovascular disease induced by oxidative stress. Int J Mol Sci 2015; 16:25234-25263.
11. Singla RK, Bhat VG. Crocin: an overview. IGJPS. 2011; 1:281-286.
12. Naghizadeh B, Boroushaki MT, Vahdati Mashhadian N, Mansouri SM. Protective effects of crocin against cisplatin-induced acute renal failure and oxidative stress in rats. Iran Biomed J 2008; 12:93–100.
13. Rahiman N, Akaberi M, Sahebkar A, Emami SA, Tayarani-Najaran Z. Protective effects of saffron and its active components against oxidative stress and apoptosis in endothelial cells. Microvasc Res 2018; 118:82-89.
14. Assimopoulou AN, Sinakos Z, Papageorgiou V. Radical scavenging activity of Crocus sativus L. extract and its bioactive constituents. PTR 2005; 19:997–1000.
15. Altinoz E, Oner Z, Elbe H, Cigremis Y, Turkoz Y. Protective effects of saffron (its active constituent, crocin) on nephropathy in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. Hum Exp Toxicol 2015; 34:127-134.
16. El-Fawal R, El Fayoumi HM, Mahmoud MF. Diosmin and crocin alleviate nephropathy in metabolic syndrome rat model: Effect on oxidative stress and low grade inflammation. Biomed Pharmacother 2018; 102:930-937.
17. Li S, Liu X, Lei J, Yang J, Tian P, Gao Y. Crocin protects podocytes against oxidative stress and inflammation induced by high glucose through inhibition of NF-κB. Cell Physiol Biochem 2017; 42:1481-1492.
18. Tang SC, Lai KN. The pathogenic role of the renal proximal tubular cell in diabetic nephropathy. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2012; 27:3049-3056.
19. Tang SC, Leung JC, Lai KN. Diabetic tubulopathy: an emerging entity. Contrib Nephrol 2011; 170:124-134.
20. Bonventre JV1. Can we target tubular damage to prevent renal function decline in diabetes? Semin Nephrol 2012; 32:452-462.
21. Gao P, Li L, Ji L, Wei Y, Li H, Shang G, et al. Nrf2 ameliorates diabetic nephropathy progression by transcriptional repression of TGFβ1 through interactions with c-Jun and SP1. Biochim Biophys Acta 2014; 1839:1110-1120.
22. Habib SL, Yadav A, Kidane D, Weiss RH, Liang S. Novel protective mechanism of reducing renal cell damage in diabetes: Activation AMPK by AICAR increased NRF2/OGG1 proteins and reduced oxidative DNA damage. Cell Cycle 2016; 15:3048-3059.
23. Mard SA, Akbari G, Dianat M, Mansouri E. Protective effects of crocin and zinc sulfate on hepatic ischemia-reperfusion injury in rats: a comparative experimental model study. Biomed Pharmacother. 2017; 96:48-55.
24. Dianat M, Radan M, Badavi M, Mard SA, Bayati V, Ahmadizadeh M. Crocin attenuates cigarette smoke-induced lung injury and cardiac dysfunction by anti-oxidative effects: the role of Nrf2 antioxidant system in preventing oxidative stress. Respir Res 2018; 19:58.
25. Polak-Jonkisz D, Laszki-Szcząchor K, Rehan L, Pilecki W, Filipowski H, Sobieszczańska M. Nephroprotective action of sirtuin 1 (SIRT1). J Physiol Biochem 2013; 69:957-961.
26. Wang XL, Wu LY, Zhao L, Sun LN, Liu HY, Liu G, et al. SIRT1 activator ameliorates the renal tubular injury induced by hyperglycemia in vivo and in vitro via inhibiting apoptosis. Biomed Pharmacother 2016; 83:41-50.
27. Zhou L, Xu DY, Sha WG, Shen L, Lu GY, Yin X, et al. High glucose induces renal tubular epithelial injury via Sirt1/NF-kappaB/microR-29/Keap1 signal pathway. J Transl Med 2015; 13:352.
28. Wang X, Yuan B, Cheng B, Liu Y, Zhang B, Wang X, et al. Crocin alleviates myocardial ischemia/reperfusion-induced endoplasmic reticulum stress via regulation of MIR-34A/SIRT1/NRF2 Pathway. Shock 2019; 51:123-130.
29. Jing D, Bai H, Yin S. Renoprotective effects of emodin against diabetic nephropathy in rat models are mediated via PI3K/Akt/GSK-3β and Bax/caspase-3 signaling pathways. Exp Ther Med 2017; 14:5163-5169.
30. Li H, Zhu X, Zhang J, Shi J. MicroRNA-25 inhibits high glucose-induced apoptosis in renal tubular epithelial cells via PTEN/AKT pathway. Biomed Pharmacother 2017; 96:471-479.
31. Yang X, Huo F, Liu B, Liu J, Chen T, Li J, et al. Crocin inhibits oxidative stress and pro-inflammatory response of microglial cells associated with diabetic retinopathy through the activation of PI3K/Akt signaling pathway. J Mol Neurosci 2017; 61:581-589.
32. Zeng C, Li H, Fan Z, Zhong L, Guo Z, Guo Y, et al. Crocin-elicited autophagy rescues myocardial ischemia/reperfusion injury via paradoxical mechanisms. Am J Chin Med 2016; 44:515-530.
33. Wang X, Gao L, Lin H, Song J, Wang J, Yin Y, et al. Mangiferin prevents diabetic nephropathy progression and protects podocyte function via autophagy in diabetic rat glomeruli. Eur J Pharmacol 2018; 824:170-178.