1. Birgani GA, Ahangarpour A, Khorsandi L, Moghaddam HF. Anti-diabetic effect of betulinic acid on streptozotocin-nicotinamide induced diabetic male mouse model. Brazilian J Pharm Sci 2018;54:1-7.
2. Röder P V, Wu B, Liu Y, Han W. Pancreatic regulation of glucose homeostasis. Exp Mol Med 2016;48:e219.
3. Liu F, Zhu S, Ni L, Wang K, Zhou Y. Dexmedetomidine alleviates insulin resistance in hepatocytes by reducing endoplasmic reticulum stress. Endocrine 2020;67:87–94.
4. Truong C-S, Seo E, Jun H-S. Psoralea corylifolia L. seed extract attenuates methylglyoxal-induced insulin resistance by inhibition of advanced glycation end product formation. Oxid Med Cell Longev 2019;2019.
5. Liu C, Huang Y, Zhang Y, Chen X, Kong X, Dong Y. Intracellular methylglyoxal induces oxidative damage to pancreatic beta cell line INS-1 cell through Ire1α-JNK and mitochondrial apoptotic pathway. Free Radic Res 2017;51:337–350.
6. Suantawee T, Thilavech T, Cheng H, Adisakwattana S. Cyanidin Attenuates Methylglyoxal-Induced Oxidative Stress and Apoptosis in INS-1 Pancreatic β-Cells by Increasing Glyoxalase-1 Activity. Nutrients. 2020;12:1-12.
7. Cnop M, Toivonen S, Igoillo-Esteve M, Salpea P. Endoplasmic reticulum stress and eIF2α phosphorylation: The Achilles heel of pancreatic β cells. Mol Metab 2017;6:1024–1039.
8. Chen Y-J, Kong L, Tang Z-Z, Zhang Y-M, Liu Y, Wang T-Y, et al. Hesperetin ameliorates diabetic nephropathy in rats by activating Nrf2/ARE/glyoxalase 1 pathway. Biomed Pharmacother 2019;111:1166–1175.
9. Xue M, Rabbani N, Momiji H, Imbasi P, Anwar MM, Kitteringham N, et al. Transcriptional control of glyoxalase 1 by Nrf2 provides a stress-responsive defence against dicarbonyl glycation. Biochem J 2012;443:213–222.
10. Liu Y-W, Liu X-L, Kong L, Zhang M-Y, Chen Y-J, Zhu X, et al. Neuroprotection of quercetin on central neurons against chronic high glucose through enhancement of Nrf2/ARE/glyoxalase-1 pathway mediated by phosphorylation regulation. Biomed Pharmacother 2019;109:2145–2154.
11. Rabbani N, Thornalley PJ. The critical role of methylglyoxal and glyoxalase 1 in diabetic nephropathy. Diabetes. 2014;63:50–52.
12. Li Y, Qian J, Yang L. Inhibition of YBX1 by miR-216a Suppresses Proliferation and Invasion of Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma. Balkan Med J 2021;38:171-176.
13. Grieco FA, Schiavo AA, Brozzi F, Juan-Mateu J, Bugliani M, Marchetti P, et al. The miRNAs miR-211-5p and miR-204-5p modulate ER stress in human beta cells. J Mol Endocrinol 2019;63:139–149.
14. Endo K, Weng H, Kito N, Fukushima Y, Iwai N. MiR-216a and miR-216b as markers for acute phased pancreatic injury. Biomed Res 2013;34:179–188.
15. Pan W, Zhang Y, Zeng C, Xu F, Yan J, Weng J. miR‑192 is upregulated in T1DM, regulates pancreatic β‑cell development and inhibits insulin secretion through suppressing GLP‑1 expression. Exp Ther Med 2018;16:2717–2724.
16. Dujic T, Zhou K, Donnelly LA, Tavendale R, Palmer CNA, Pearson ER. Association of organic cation transporter 1 with intolerance to metformin in type 2 diabetes: a GoDARTS study. Diabetes 2015;64:1786–1793.
17. Wang C, Cai X, Hu W, Li Z, Kong F, Chen X, et al. Investigation of the neuroprotective effects of crocin via anti-oxidant activities in HT22 cells and in mice with Alzheimer’s disease. Int J Mol Med 2019;43:956–966.
18. Erdemli M, Erdemli Z, Gul M, Altinoz E, Gul S, Kocaman G, et al. Ameliorative effects of crocin on the inflammation and oxidative stress-induced kidney damages by experimental periodontitis in rat. Iran J Basic Med Sci 2021;24:825–832.
19. Algandaby MM. Antifibrotic effects of crocin on thioacetamide-induced liver fibrosis in mice. Saudi J Biol Sci 2018;25:747–754.
20. Korani S, Korani M, Sathyapalan T, Sahebkar A. Therapeutic effects of Crocin in autoimmune diseases: A review. BioFactors 2019;45:835–843.
21. Ahmed S, Hasan MM, Heydari M, Rauf A, Bawazeer S, Abu-Izneid T, et al. Therapeutic potentials of crocin in medication of neurological disorders. Food Chem Toxicol 2020;145:111739.
22. Salama RM, Abdel-Latif GA, Abbas SS, Hekmat M, Schaalan MF. Neuroprotective effect of crocin against rotenone-induced Parkinson’s disease in rats: Interplay between PI3K/Akt/mTOR signaling pathway and enhanced expression of miRNA-7 and miRNA-221. Neuropharmacology 2020;164:107900.
23. Arai M, Nihonmatsu-Kikuchi N, Itokawa M, Rabbani N, Thornalley PJ (2014) Measurement of glyoxalase activities. Biochem Soc Trans 2014; 42:491–494.
24. Lee B-H, Hsu W-H, Chang Y-Y, Kuo H-F, Hsu Y-W, Pan T-M. Ankaflavin: a natural novel PPARγ agonist upregulates Nrf2 to attenuate methylglyoxal-induced diabetes in vivo. Free Radic Biol Med 2012;53:2008–2016.
25. Mojadami S, Ahangarpour A, Mard SA, Khorsandi L. Diabetic nephropathy induced by methylglyoxal: gallic acid regulates kidney microRNAs and glyoxalase1–Nrf2 in male mice. Arch Physiol Biochem 2021;1–8.
26. Qi SS, Zheng HX, Jiang H, Yuan LP, Dong LC. Protective effects of chromium picolinate against diabetic-induced renal dysfunction and renal fibrosis in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. Biomolecules 2020;10:1-13.
27. Katz A, Nambi SS, Mather K, Baron AD, Follmann DA, Sullivan G, et al. Quantitative insulin sensitivity check index: a simple, accurate method for assessing insulin sensitivity in humans. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2000;85:2402–2410.
28. Chang W-C, Wu S-C, Xu K-D, Liao B-C, Wu J-F, Cheng A-S. Scopoletin protects against methylglyoxal-induced hyperglycemia and insulin resistance mediated by suppression of advanced glycation endproducts (AGEs) generation and anti-glycation. Molecules 2015;20:2786–2801.
29. Vanessa Fiorentino T, Prioletta A, Zuo P, Folli F. Hyperglycemia-induced oxidative stress and its role in diabetes mellitus related cardiovascular diseases. Curr Pharm Des 2013;19:5695–5703.
30. Burgos-Morón E, Abad-Jiménez Z, Martinez de Maranon A, Iannantuoni F, Escribano-López I, López-Domènech S, et al. Relationship between oxidative stress, ER stress, and inflammation in type 2 diabetes: the battle continues. J Clin Med 2019;8:1-22.
31. Suh KS, Chon S, Jung W-W, Choi EM. Magnolol protects pancreatic β-cells against methylglyoxal-induced cellular dysfunction. Chem Biol Interact 2017;277:101–109.
32. Schumacher D, Morgenstern J, Oguchi Y, Volk N, Kopf S, Groener JB, et al. Compensatory mechanisms for methylglyoxal detoxification in experimental & clinical diabetes. Mol Metab 2018;18:143–152.
33. Delle Monache S, Pulcini F, Frosini R, Mattei V, Talesa VN, Antognelli C. Methylglyoxal-dependent glycative stress is prevented by the natural anti-oxidant oleuropein in human Dental pulp stem cells through Nrf2/Glo1 pathway. Anti-oxidants. 2021;10:1-19.
34. Rodrigues T, Matafome P, Sereno J, Almeida J, Castelhano J, Gamas L, et al. Methylglyoxal-induced glycation changes adipose tissue vascular architecture, flow and expansion, leading to insulin resistance. Sci Rep 2017;7:1–13.
35. Filippatos T, Tsimihodimos V, Pappa E, Elisaf M. Pathophysiology of diabetic dyslipidaemia. Curr Vasc Pharmacol 2017;15:566–575.
36. Shirali S, Zahra Bathaie S, Nakhjavani M. Effect of crocin on the insulin resistance and lipid profile of streptozotocin‐induced diabetic rats. Phyther Res 2013;27:1042–1047.
37. Bagge A, Clausen TR, Larsen S, Ladefoged M, Rosenstierne MW, Larsen L, et al. MicroRNA-29a is up-regulated in beta-cells by glucose and decreases glucose-stimulated insulin secretion. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 2012;426:266–272.
38. Moi P, Chan K, Asunis I, Cao A, Kan YW. Isolation of NF-E2-related factor 2 (Nrf2), a NF-E2-like basic leucine zipper transcriptional activator that binds to the tandem NF-E2/AP1 repeat of the beta-globin locus control region. Proc Natl Acad Sci 1994;91:9926–9930.
39. Kassan M, Vikram A, Kim Y-R, Li Q, Kassan A, Patel HH, et al. Sirtuin1 protects endothelial Caveolin-1 expression and preserves endothelial function via suppressing miR-204 and endoplasmic reticulum stress. Sci Rep 2017;7:1–10.
40. Xu Z, Bu Y, Chitnis N, Koumenis C, Fuchs SY, Diehl JA. miR-216b regulation of c-Jun mediates GADD153/CHOP-dependent apoptosis. Nat Commun 2016;7:1–12.