1. Koza Y. Acute kidney injury: Current concepts and new insights. J Inj Violence Res 2016; 8:58-62.
2. Kellum JA, Lameire N, Aspelin P, Barsoum RS, Burdmann EA, Goldstein SL, et al. Kidney disease: Improving global outcomes (KDIGO) acute kidney injury work group. KDIGO clinical practice guideline for acute kidney injury. Kidney Int Suppl 2012; 2:1-138.
3. Rewa O, Bagshaw SM. Acute kidney injury—epidemiology, outcomes and economics. Nat Rev Nephrol 2014; 10:193-207.
4. Takasu O, Gaut JP, Watanabe E, To K, Fagley RE, Sato B, et al. Mechanisms of cardiac and renal dysfunction in patients dying of sepsis. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2013; 187:509-517.
5. Havasi A, Borkan SC. Apoptosis and acute kidney injury. Kidney Int 2011; 80:29-40.
6. Kudose S, Hoshi M, Jain S, Gaut JP. Renal histopathologic findings associated with severity of clinical acute kidney injury. Am J Surg Pathol 2018; 42:625-635.
7. Ahmed SB, Ramesh S. Sex hormones in women with kidney disease. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2016; 31:1787-1795.
8. Elliot SJ, Karl M, Berho M, Potier M, Zheng F, Leclercq B, et al. Estrogen deficiency accelerates progression of glomerulosclerosis in susceptible mice. Am J Pathol 2003; 162:1441-1448.
9. Mahani FD, Khaksari M, Raji-Amirhasani A. Renoprotective effects of estrogen on acute kidney injury: the role of SIRT1. Int Urol Nephrol 2021:1-12.
10. Di Francesco A, Di Germanio C, Bernier M, de Cabo R. A time to fast. Science 2018; 362:770-775.
11. Longo VD, Mattson MP. Fasting: molecular mechanisms and clinical applications. Cell metabolism 2014; 19:181-192.
12. Brandhorst S, Harputlugil E, Mitchell JR, Longo VD. Protective effects of short-term dietary restriction in surgical stress and chemotherapy. Ageing Res Rev 2017; 39:68-77.
13. Fontana L, Partridge L. Promoting health and longevity through diet: from model organisms to humans. Cell 2015; 161:106-118.
14. Mitchell JR, Verweij M, Brand K, Van De Ven M, Goemaere N, Van Den Engel S, et al. Short‐term dietary restriction and fasting precondition against ischemia reperfusion injury in mice. Aging cell 2010; 9:40-53.
15. Johnsen M, Kubacki T, Yeroslaviz A, Späth MR, Mörsdorf J, Göbel H, et al. The integrated RNA landscape of renal preconditioning against ischemia-reperfusion injury. J Am Soc Nephrol 2020; 31:716-730.
16. Moro T, Tinsley G, Bianco A, Marcolin G, Pacelli QF, Battaglia G, et al. Effects of eight weeks of time-restricted feeding (16/8) on basal metabolism, maximal strength, body composition, inflammation, and cardiovascular risk factors in resistance-trained males. J Transl Med 2016; 14:1-10.
17. Rojas-Morales P, León-Contreras JC, Aparicio-Trejo OE, Reyes-Ocampo JG, Medina-Campos ON, Jiménez-Osorio AS, et al. Fasting reduces oxidative stress, mitochondrial dysfunction and fibrosis induced by renal ischemia-reperfusion injury. Free Radic Biol Med 2019; 135:60-67.
18. Sorenson CM. Life, death and kidneys: regulation of renal programmed cell death. Curr Opin Nephrol Hypertens 1998; 7:5-12.
19. Raji-Amirhasani A, Khaksari M, Mahani FD, Hajializadeh Z. Activators of SIRT1 in the kidney and protective effects of SIRT1 during acute kidney injury (AKI)(effect of SIRT1 activators on acute kidney injury). Clin Exp Nephrol 2021;25:807-821.
20. Kim JH, Lee SS, Jung MH, Yeo HD, Kim H-J, Yang JI, et al. N-acetylcysteine attenuates glycerol-induced acute kidney injury by regulating MAPKs and Bcl-2 family proteins. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2010; 25:1435-1443.
21. Lee JH, Jung KJ, Kim JW, Kim HJ, Yu BP, Chung HY. Suppression of apoptosis by calorie restriction in aged kidney. Exp Gerontol 2004; 39:1361-1368.
22. Zhang Y, Du Y, Yu H, Zhou Y, Ge F. Protective effects of ophiocordyceps lanpingensis on glycerol-induced acute renal failure in mice. J Immunol Res 2017; 2017.
23. Khaksari M, Soltani Z, Shahrokhi N. Effects of female sex steroids administration on pathophysiologic mechanisms in traumatic brain injury. Transl Stroke Res 2018; 9:393-416.
24. Khaksari M, Mahmmodi R, Shahrokhi N, Shabani M, Joukar S, Aqapour M. The effects of shilajit on brain edema, intracranial pressure and neurologic outcomes following the traumatic brain injury in rat. Iran J Basic Med Sci 2013; 16:858.
25. Khaksari M, Keshavarzi Z, Gholamhoseinian A, Bibak B. The effect of female sexual hormones on the intestinal and serum cytokine response after traumatic brain injury: different roles for estrogen receptor subtypes. Can J Physiol Pharmacol 2013; 91:700-707.
26. Azizian H, Khaksari M, Esmailidehaj M, Farhadi Z. Cardioprotective and anti-inflammatory effects of G-protein coupled receptor 30 (GPR30) on postmenopausal type 2 diabetic rats. Biomed Pharmacother 2018; 108:153-164.
27. Khaksari M, Hajializadeh Z, Shahrokhi N, Esmaeili-Mahani S. Changes in the gene expression of estrogen receptors involved in the protective effect of estrogen in rat׳ s trumatic brain injury. Brain Res 2015; 1618:1-8.
28. Di Daniele N, Marrone G, Di Lauro M, Di Daniele F, Palazzetti D, Guerriero C, et al. Effects of caloric restriction diet on arterial hypertension and endothelial dysfunction. Nutrients 2021; 13:274.
29. Wu J, Pan X, Fu H, Zheng Y, Dai Y, Yin Y, et al. Effect of curcumin on glycerol-induced acute kidney injury in rats. Sci Rep 2017; 7:1-11.
30. Korrapati MC, Shaner BE, Schnellmann RG. Recovery from glycerol-induced acute kidney injury is accelerated by suramin. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 2012; 341:126-136.
31. Kume S, Uzu T, Horiike K, Chin-Kanasaki M, Isshiki K, Araki S-i, et al. Calorie restriction enhances cell adaptation to hypoxia through Sirt1-dependent mitochondrial autophagy in mouse aged kidney. J Clin Invest 2010; 120:1043-1055.
32. Hall IE, Coca SG, Perazella MA, Eko UU, Luciano RL, Peter PR, et al. Risk of poor outcomes with novel and traditional biomarkers at clinical AKI diagnosis. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 2011; 6:2740-2749.
33. Su H, Yang M, Wan C, Yi L-X, Tang F, Zhu H-Y, et al. Renal histopathological analysis of 26 postmortem findings of patients with COVID-19 in China. Kidney Int 2020; 98:219-227.
34. Vafaiyan Z, Gharaei R, Asadi J. The correlation between telomerase activity and Bax/Bcl-2 ratio in valproic acid-treated MCF-7 breast cancer cell line. Iran J Basic Med Sci 2015; 18:700.
35. Afshinnia F, Wilt TJ, Duval S, Esmaeili A, Ibrahim HN. Weight loss and proteinuria: systematic review of clinical trials and comparative cohorts. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2010; 25:1173-1183.
36. Xu X-m, Cai G-y, Bu R, Wang W-j, Bai X-y, Sun X-f, et al. Beneficial effects of caloric restriction on chronic kidney disease in rodent models: a meta-analysis and systematic review. PLoS One 2015; 10:e0144442.
37. Verweij M, Sluiter W, van den Engel S, Jansen E, IJzermans JN, de Bruin RW. Altered mitochondrial functioning induced by preoperative fasting may underlie protection against renal ischemia/reperfusion injury. J Cell Biochem 2013; 114:230-237.
38. Jongbloed F, Saat TC, Verweij M, Payán-Gómez C, Hoeijmakers JH, van den Engel S, et al. A signature of renal stress resistance induced by short-term dietary restriction, fasting, and protein restriction. Sci Rep 2017; 7:1-12.
39. Qiu X, Brown K, Hirschey MD, Verdin E, Chen D. Calorie restriction reduces oxidative stress by SIRT3-mediated SOD2 activation. Cell Metab 2010; 12:662-667.
40. Stankovic M, Mladenovic D, Ninkovic M, Vucevic D, Tomasevic T, Radosavljevic T. Effects of caloric restriction on oxidative stress parameters. Gen Physiol Biophys 2013; 32:277-283.
41. Salgado J, Neves F, Bastos MG, França A, Brito D, Santos EMd, et al. Monitoring renal function: measured and estimated glomerular filtration rates-a review. Braz J Med Biol Res 2010; 43:528-536.
42. Al Asmari AK, Al Sadoon KT, Obaid AA, Yesunayagam D, Tariq M. Protective effect of quinacrine against glycerol-induced acute kidney injury in rats. BMC Nephrol 2017; 18:1-10.
43. Ustundag S, Sen S, Yalcin O, Ciftci S, Demirkan B, Ture M. L-Carnitine ameliorates glycerol-induced myoglobinuric acute renal failure in rats. Ren Fail 2009; 31:124-133.
44. Bowmer C, Collis M, Yates M. Effect of the adenosine antagonist 8-phenyltheophylline on glycerol-induced acute renal failure in the rat. Br J Pharmacol 1986; 88:205-212.
45. Matsuzaki J, Kuwamura M, Yamaji R, Inui H, Nakano Y. Inflammatory responses to lipopolysaccharide are suppressed in 40% energy-restricted mice. J Nutr 2001; 131:2139-2144.
46. Fontana L, Meyer TE, Klein S, Holloszy JO. Long-term calorie restriction is highly effective in reducing the risk for atherosclerosis in humans. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2004; 101:6659-6663.
47. Higami Y, Pugh TD, Page GP, Allison DB, Prolla TA, Weindruch R. Adipose tissue energy metabolism: altered gene expression profile of mice subjected to long‐term caloric restriction. FASEB J 2004; 18:1-26.
48. Yang H, Youm Y-H, Nakata C, Dixit VD. Chronic caloric restriction induces forestomach hypertrophy with enhanced ghrelin levels during aging. Peptides 2007; 28:1931-1936.
49. Masoro EJ, Katz MS, McMahan CA. Evidence for the glycation hypothesis of aging from the food-restricted rodent model. J Gerontol 1989; 44:B20-B22.
50. Bokarewa M, Nagaev I, Dahlberg L, Smith U, Tarkowski A. Resistin, an adipokine with potent proinflammatory properties. J Immunol 2005; 174:5789-5795.
51. Mager DE, Wan R, Brown M, Cheng A, Wareski P, Abernethy DR, et al. Caloric restriction and intermittent fasting alter spectral measures of heart rate and blood pressure variability in rats. FASEB J 2006; 20:631-637.
52. Estrela GR, Wasinski F, Batista RO, Hiyane MI, Felizardo RJ, Cunha F, et al. Caloric restriction is more efficient than physical exercise to protect from cisplatin nephrotoxicity via PPAR-alpha activation. Front Physiol 2017; 8:116.
53. Gunebakan E, Yalcin E, Cikler Dulger E, Yigitbasi A, Ates N, Caglayan A, et al. Short-term diet restriction but not alternate day fasting prevents cisplatin-induced nephrotoxicity in mice. Biomedicines 2020; 8:23-35.
54. Belkacemi L, Selselet-Attou G, Antoine M-H, Nortier J, Hupkens E, Sener A, et al. Intermittent fasting modulation of the diabetic syndrome in streptozotocin-injected rats: Post-mortem investigations. The Open Physiology Journal 2013; 5:1-6.
55. Beshyah SA, Badi A, El-Ghul AM, Gabroun A, Dougman KK, Eledrisi MS. The year in “Ramadan Fasting and Health”(2018): a narrative review. Ibnosina j m bio sci 2019; 11:151.
56. Antonsson B, Conti F, Ciavatta A, Montessuit S, Lewis S, Martinou I, et al. Inhibition of Bax channel-forming activity by Bcl-2. Science 1997; 277:370-372.
57. Aggarwal S, Gupta S. Increased apoptosis of T cell subsets in aging humans: altered expression of Fas (CD95), Fas ligand, Bcl-2, and Bax. J Immunol 1998; 160:1627-1637.
58. Yu BP. Aging and oxidative stress: modulation by dietary restriction. Free Radic Biol Med 1996; 21:651-668.
59. Abas E, Sabry MM. Intermittent fasting attenuates apoptosis, modulates autophagy and preserves telocytes in doxorubicin induced cardiotoxicity in albino rats: A Histological Study. Egyptian Journal of Histology 2020; 43:663-683.
60. Saat TC, van der Pluijm I, Ridwan Y, Van Damme-van den Engel S, van Heijningen PM, Clahsen-van Groningen MC, et al. Pre-operative fasting provides long term protection against chronic renal damage induced by ischaemia reperfusion injury in wild type and aneurysm prone fibulin-4 mice. Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg 2020; 60:905-915.