1. Kaper JB, Nataro JP, Mobley HLT. Pathogenic Escherichia coli. Nat Rev Microbiol 2004; 2:123-140.
2. Sperandio V, Nguyen Y. Enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli (EHEC) pathogenesis. Front Cell Infect Microbiol 2012; 2:1-7.
3. Karmali MA. Infection by verocytotoxin-producing Escherichia coli. Clin Microbiol Rev 1989; 2:15-38.
4. Paton AW, Paton JC. Detection and characterization of Shiga Toxigenic Escherichia coli by using multiplex PCR assays for stx1; stx2, eaeA, Enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli hlyA, rfbO111, and rfbO157. J Clin Microbiol 1998; 36:598-602.
5. Boerlin P, McEwen SA, Boerlin-Petzold F, Wilson JB, Johnson RP, Gyles CL. Associations between virulence factors of Shiga Toxin-Producing Escherichia coli and disease in humans. J Clin Microbiol 1999; 37:497-503.
6. Fagan PK, Hornitzky MA, Bettelheim KA, Djordjevic SP. Detection of Shiga-like toxin (stx1 and stx2), intimin (eaeA), and Enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli (EHEC) hemolysin (EHEC hlyA) genes in animal feces by multiplex PCR. Appl Environ Microbiol 1999; 65:868-872.
7. Beutin L, Geier D, Zimmermann S, Karch H. Virulence markers of Shiga-like toxin-producing Escherichia coli strains originating from healthy domestic animals of different species. J Clin Microbiol 1995; 33:631-635.
8. Chong CW, Ahmad AF, Lim YAL, Teh CSJ, Yap IKS, Lee SC, et al. Effect of ethnicity and socioeconomic variation to the gut microbiota composition among pre-adolescent in Malaysia. Sci Rep 2015; 5:13338.
9. Rajoo Y, Ambu S, Lim YAL, Rajoo K, Tey SC, Lu CW, et al. Neglected intestinal parasites, malnutrition and associated key factors: A population based cross-sectional study among indigenous communities in Sarawak, Malaysia. PLoS One 2017; 12:e0170174.
10. Chin YT, Lim YAL, Chong CW, Teh CSJ, Yap IKS, Lee SC, et al. Prevalence and risk factors of intestinal parasitism among two indigenous sub-ethnic groups in Peninsular Malaysia. Infect Dis Poverty 2016; 5:77-91.
11. Teh CSJ, Chua KH, Lim YAL, Lee SC, Thong KL. Loop-mediated isothermal amplification assay for detection of generic and verocytotoxin-producing Escherichia coli among indigenous individuals in Malaysia. Sci World J 2014; 2014:457839.
12. Institute of Medical Research (IMR). National Surveillance of Antimicrobial Resistance, Malaysia. Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia: Ministry of Health, MOH; 2019. Available from: https://www.imr.gov.my/MyOHAR/index.php/site/archive_rpt.
13. Fazlul MKK, Rashid SS, Nazmul MHM, Zaidul ISM, Baharudin R, Ramli ANM. A clinical update on antibiotic resistance Gram-negative bacteria in Malaysia - a review. J Int Pharm Res 2019; 45:270-283.
14. Liu Y-Y, Wang Y, Walsh TR, Yi L-X, Zhang R, Spencer J, et al. Emergence of plasmid-mediated colistin resistance mechanism MCR-1 in animals and human beings in China: A microbiological and molecular biological study. Lancet Infect Dis 2016; 16:161-168.
15. Bradford PA, Kazmierczak KM, Biedenbach DJ, Wise MG, Hackel M, Sahm DF. Colistin-resistant Enterobacteriaceae: Correlation of β-lactamase production and colistin resistance among isolates from a global surveillance program. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2015; 60:1385-1392.
16. Mobasseri G, Teh CSJ, Ooi PT, Thong KL. The emergence of colistin-resistant Klebsiella pneumoniae strains from swine in Malaysia. J Glob Antimicrob Resist 2019; 17:227-232.
17. Malchione MD, Torres LM, Hartley DM, Koch M, Goodman JL. Carbapenem and colistin resistance in Enterobacteriaceae in Southeast Asia: Review and mapping of emerging and overlapping challenges. Int J Antimicrob Agents 2019; 54:381-399.
18. Ong L, Muniandy K, How S, Tang S, Lim B. A report on antibiotic resistance of Escherichia coli isolated from veterinary samples in Malaysia from 2010 to 2013. Malays J Vet Res (Putrajaya) 2014; 5:70-71.
19. Yap PSX, Ahmad Kamar A, Chong CW, Yap IKS, Thong KL, Choo YM, Md Yusof MY, Teh CSJ. Intestinal carriage of multidrug-resistant gram-negative bacteria in preterm infants during hospitalization in neonatal intensive care unit (NICU). Pathog Glob Health 2016; 110:238-246.
20. Kong RYC, So CL, Law WF, Wu RSS. A sensitive and versatile multiplex PCR system for the rapid detection of enterotoxigenic (ETEC), enterohaemorrhagic (EHEC) and enteropathogenic (EPEC) strains of Escherichia coli. Mar Pollut Bull 1999; 38:1207-1215.
21. Dashti AA, Jadaon MM, Abdulsamad AM, Dashti HM. Heat treatment of bacteria: A simple method of DNA extraction for molecular techniques. Kuwait Med J 2009; 41:117-122.
22. Navia MM, Capitano L, Ruiz J, Vargas M, Urassa H, Schellemberg D, et al. Typing and characterization of mechanisms of resistance of Shigella spp. isolated from feces of children under 5 years of age from Ifakara, Tanzania. J Clin Microbiol 1999; 37:3113-3117.
23. Schmidt H, Scheef J, Morabito S, Caprioli A, Wieler LH, Karch H. A new Shiga toxin 2 variant (Stx2f) from Escherichia coli isolated from pigeons. Appl Environ Microbiol 2000; 66:1205-1208.
24. Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute (CLSI). Performance Standards for Antimicrobial Susceptibility Testing; Twenty-Fifth Informational Supplement. CLSI document M100-S25. Wayne, Pennsylvania, United States of America: Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute (CLSI); 2015.
25. Tenover FC, Arbeit RD, Goering RV, Mickelsen PA, Murray BE, Persing DH, et al. Interpreting chromosomal DNA restriction patterns produced by pulsed-field gel electrophoresis: Criteria for bacterial strain typing. J Clin Microbiol 1995; 33:2233-2239.
26. Tenaillon O, Skurnik D, Picard B, Denamur E. The population genetics of commensal Escherichia coli. Nat Rev Microbiol 2010; 8:207-217.
27. Adiba S, Nizak C, van Baalen M, Denamur E, Depaulis F. From grazing resistance to pathogenesis: The coincidental evolution of virulence factors. PLoS One 2010; 5:e11882.
28. Tadesse DA, Zhao S, Tong E, Ayers S, Singh A, Bartholomew MJ, et al. Antimicrobial drug resistance in Escherichia coli from humans and food animals, United States, 1950-2002. Emerg Infect Dis 2012; 18:741-749.
29. Ab Rahman N, Teng CL, Sivasampu S. Antibiotic prescribing in public and private practice: A cross-sectional study in primary care clinics in Malaysia. BMC Infect Dis 2016; 16:208-215.
30. Teng CL, Tong SF, Khoo EM, Lee V, Zailinawati AH, Mimi O, et al. Antibiotics for URTI and UTI prescribing in Malaysian primary care settings. Aust Fam Physician 2011;40:325-329.