1. Van Dyke TE, Bartold PM, Reynolds EC. The nexus between periodontal inflammation and dysbiosis. Front Immunol 2020; 11:511-519.
2. Miranda TS, Figueiredo N de F, Figueiredo LC, Silva HDP da, Rocha FRG, Duarte PM. Cytokine profiles of healthy and diseased sites in individuals with periodontitis. Arch Oral Biol 2020; 120:104957-104963.
3. Ebersole JL, Kirakodu S, Novak MJ, Stromberg AJ, Shen S, Orraca L, et al. Cytokine gene expression profiles during initiation, progression and resolution of periodontitis. J Clin Periodontol 2014; 41:853–861.
4. Izawa A, Ishihara Y, Mizutani H, Kobayashi S, Goto H, Okabe E, et al. Inflammatory bone loss in experimental periodontitis induced by aggregatibacter actinomycetemcomitans in interleukin-1 receptor antagonist knockout mice. Infect Immun 2014; 82:1904–1913.
5. Hirayama A, Awano S, Seta Y, Ansai T. ADAM17 regulates TNF-α expression upon lipopolysaccharide stimulation in oral keratinocytes. Biomed Res 2017; 38:157–165.
6. Fujihara R, Usui M, Yamamoto G, Nishii K, Tsukamoto Y, Okamatsu Y, et al. Tumor necrosis factor-α enhances RANKL expression in gingival epithelial cells via protein kinase A signaling. J Periodont Res 2014; 49:508–517.
7. Kawamoto D, Amado PPL, Albuquerque-Souza E, Bueno MR, Vale GC, Saraiva L, et al. Chemokines and cytokines profile in whole saliva of patients with periodontitis. Cytokine 2020; 135:155197-155205.
8. Kang S-Y, Seo SY, Bang SK, Cho SJ, Choi K-H, and Ryu Y. Inhibition of spinal TRPV1 reduces NMDA receptor 2B phosphorylation and produces anti-nociceptive effects in mice with inflammatory pain. Int J Mol Sci 2021; 22:11177-11189.
9. Zholos A. TRP channels in respiratory pathophysiology: the role of oxidative, chemical irritant and temperature stimuli. Curr Neuropharmacol 2015; 13:279–291.
10. Güzel M, Akpınar O. Hydroxychloroquine attenuates acute inflammation (LPS)-induced apoptosis via inhibiting TRPV1 channel/ROS signaling pathways in human monocytes. Biology(basal) 2021; 10:967-983.
11. Xu W, Liu J, Ma D, Yuan G, Lu Y, Yang Y. Capsaicin reduces Alzheimer-associated tau changes in the hippocampus of type 2 diabetes rats. PLoS ONE 2017; 12:1-14.
12. Austah ON, Ruparel NB, Henry MA, Fajardo RJ, Schmitz JE, Diogenes A. Capsaicin-sensitive innervation modulates the development of apical periodontitis. J Endod 2016; 42:1496–1502.
13. Shen S, Al-Thumairy HW, Hashmi F, Qiao L-Y. Regulation of transient receptor potential cation channel subfamily V1 protein synthesis by the phosphoinositide 3-kinase/Akt pathway in colonic hypersensitivity. Exp Neurol 2017; 295:104–115.
14. Bertin S, Aoki-Nonaka Y, de Jong PR, Nohara LL, Xu H, Stanwood SR, et al. The ion channel TRPV1 regulates the activation and proinflammatory properties of CD4+ T cells. Nat Immunol 2014; 15:1055–1063.
15. Kanno K, Shimizu K, Shinoda M, Hayashi M, Takeichi O, Iwata K. Role of macrophage-mediated Toll-like receptor 4–interleukin-1R signaling in ectopic tongue pain associated with tooth pulp inflammation. J Neuroinflammation 2020; 17:312-326.
16. Sadofsky LR, Ramachandran R, Crow C, Cowen M, Compton SJ, Morice AH. Inflammatory stimuli up-regulate transient receptor potential vanilloid-1 expression in human bronchial fibroblasts. Exp Lung Res 2012; 38:75–81.
17. Wang Y, Cui L, Xu H, Liu S, Zhu F, Yan F, et al. TRPV1 agonism inhibits endothelial cell inflammation via activation of eNOS/NO pathway. Atherosclerosis 2017; 260:13–19.
18. Lu C-L, Teng T-Y, Liao M-T, Ma M-C. TRPV1 hyperfunction contributes to renal inflammation in oxalate nephropathy. Int J Mol Sci 2021; 22:6204-6224.
19. Ying S, Tan M, Feng G, Kuang Y, Chen D, Li J, et al. Low-intensity pulsed ultrasound regulates alveolar bone homeostasis in experimental periodontitis by diminishing oxidative stress. Theranostics 2020; 10:9789–9807.
20. Sooampon S, Phoolcharoen W, Pavasant P. Thermal stimulation of TRPV1 up-regulates TNFα expression in human periodontal ligament cells. Arch Oral Biol 2013; 58:887–895.
21. Idris AI, Landao-Bassonga E, Ralston SH. The TRPV1 ion channel antagonist capsazepine inhibits osteoclast and osteoblast differentiation in vitro and ovariectomy induced bone loss in vivo. Bone 2010; 46:1089–1099.
22. Ossola CA, Balcarcel NB, Astrauskas JI, Bozzini C, Elverdin JC, Fernández‐Solari J. A new target to ameliorate the damage of periodontal disease: the role of transient receptor potential vanilloid type‐1 in contrast to that of specific cannabinoid receptors in rats. J Periodontol 2019; 90:1325–1335.
23. Han Y, Wang X, Ma D, Wu X, Yang P, Zhang J. Ipriflavone promotes proliferation and osteogenic differentiation of periodontal ligament cells by activating GPR30/PI3K/AKT signaling pathway. Drug Des Devel Ther 2018; 12:137–148.
24. Liu F, Huang X, He J, Song C, Peng L, Chen T, et al. Plantamajoside attenuates inflammatory response in LPS-stimulated human gingival fibroblasts by inhibiting PI3K/AKT signaling pathway. Microb Pathog 2019; 127:208–211.
25. Liu J, Wang X, Zheng M, Luan Q. Lipopolysaccharide from porphyromonas gingivalis promotes autophagy of human gingival fibroblasts through the PI3K/Akt/mTOR signaling pathway. Life Sci 2018; 211:133–139.
26. Qiu X, Yu Y, Liu H, Li X, Sun W, Wu W, et al. Remodeling the periodontitis microenvironment for osteogenesis by using a reactive oxygen species-cleavable nanoplatform. Acta Biomaterialia 2021; 135:593-605.
27. Zhao B, Zhang W, Xiong Y, Zhang Y, Zhang D, Xu X. Effects of rutin on the oxidative stress, proliferation and osteogenic differentiation of periodontal ligament stem cells in LPS-induced inflammatory environment and the underlying mechanism. J Mol Hist 2020; 51:161–171.
28. Węglarz L, Wawszczyk J, Orchel A, Jaworska-Kik M, Dzierzewicz Z. Phytic acid modulates in vitro IL-8 and IL-6 release from colonic epithelial cells stimulated with LPS and IL-1β. Dig Dis Sci 2007; 52:93-102.
29. Kim E-N, Nabende WY, Jeong H, Hahn D, Jeong G-S. The marine-derived natural product epiloliolide isolated from sargassum horneri regulates NLRP3 via PKA/CREB, promoting proliferation and anti-inflammatory effects of human periodontal ligament cells. Marine Drugs 2021; 19:388-402.
30. Kang S-K, Park Y-D, Kang S-I, Kim D-K, Kang K-L, Lee S-Y, et al. Role of resistin in the inflammatory response induced by nicotine plus lipopolysaccharide in human periodontal ligament cells in vitro. J Periodont Res 2015; 50:602–613.
31. Basso FG, Pansani TN, Turrioni APS, Soares DG, de Souza Costa CA, Hebling J. Tumor necrosis factor-α and interleukin (IL)-1β, IL-6, and IL-8 impair in vitro migration and induce apoptosis of gingival fibroblasts and epithelial cells, delaying wound healing. J Periodontol 2016; 87:990–996.
32. Garlet GP. Destructive and protective roles of cytokines in periodontitis: a re-appraisal from host defense and tissue destruction viewpoints. J Dent Res 2010; 89:1349–1363.
33. Romero-Castro NS, Vázquez-Villamar M, Muñoz-Valle JF, Reyes-Fernández S, Serna-Radilla VO, García-Arellano S, et al. Relationship between TNF-α, MMP-8, and MMP-9 levels in gingival crevicular fluid and the subgingival microbiota in periodontal disease. Odontology 2020; 108:25–33.
34. Bae W-J, Shin M-R, Kang S-K, Zhang-Jun, Kim J-Y, Lee S-C, et al. HIF-2 inhibition supresses inflammatory responses and osteoclastic differentiation in human periodontal ligament cells: HIF-2α effects on inflammatory response and osteoclastogensis. J Cell Biochem 2015; 116:1241–1255.
35. Jung J-I, Kim S, Baek S-M, Choi S-I, Kim G-H, Imm J-Y. Ecklonia cava extract exerts anti-inflammatory effect in human gingival fibroblasts and chronic periodontitis animal model by suppression of pro-inflammatory cytokines and chemokines. Foods 2021; 10:1656-1668.
36. Yang Y, Wang L, Zhang H, Luo L. Mixed lineage kinase domain-like pseudokinase-mediated necroptosis aggravates periodontitis progression. J Mol Med 2022; 100:77-86.
37. Xia R, Samad T, Btesh J, Jiang L-H, Kays I, Stjernborg L, et al. TRPV1 signaling: mechanistic understanding and therapeutic potential. Curr Top Med Chem 2011; 11:2180–2191.
38. Bryk M, Chwastek J, Kostrzewa M, Mlost J, Pędracka A, Starowicz K. Alterations in anandamide synthesis and degradation during osteoarthritis progression in an animal model. Int J Mol Sci 2020; 21:7381-7399.
39. Rotpenpian N, Arayapisit T, Roumwong A, Pakaprot N, Tantisira M, Wanasuntronwong A. A standardized extract of centella asiatica (ECa 233) prevents temporomandibular joint osteoarthritis by modulating the expression of local inflammatory mediators in mice. J Appl Oral Sci 2021; 29:1-8.
40. Silverman HA, Chen A, Kravatz NL, Chavan SS, Chang EH. Involvement of neural transient receptor potential channels in peripheral inflammation. Front Immunol 2020; 11:590261-590278.
41. Yang M, Jung S, Sethi G, Ahn K. Pleiotropic pharmacological actions of capsazepine, a synthetic analogue of capsaicin, against various cancers and inflammatory Ddseases. Molecules 2019; 24:995-1008.
42. Vigna SR, Shahid RA, Nathan JD, McVey DC, Liddle RA. Leukotriene B4 mediates inflammation via TRPV1 in duct obstruction-induced pancreatitis in rats. Pancreas 2011; 40:708–714.
43. Avellan N-L, Kemppainen P, Tervahartiala T, Vilppola P, Forster C, Sorsa T. Capsaicin-induced local elevations in collagenase-2 (matrix metalloproteinase-8) levels in human gingival crevice fluid. J Periodontal Res 2006; 41:33–38.
44. Hoare A, Soto C, Rojas-Celis V, Bravo D. Chronic inflammation as a link between periodontitis and carcinogenesis. Mediators Inflamm 2019:2019; :1–14.
45. Kim T-H, Choi SJ, Lee YH, Song GG, Ji JD. Combined therapeutic application of mTOR inhibitor and vitamin D3 for inflammatory bone destruction of rheumatoid arthritis. Med Hypotheses 2012; 79:757–760.
46. Wang Q, Zhang B, Yu J-L. Farrerol inhibits IL-6 and IL-8 production in LPS-stimulated human gingival fibroblasts by suppressing PI3K/AKT/NF-κB signaling pathway. Arch Oral Biol 2016; 62:28–32.
47. Wang Q, Sun L, Gong Z, Du Y. Veratric acid inhibits LPS-induced IL-6 and IL-8 production in human gingival fibroblasts. Inflammation 2016; 39:237–242.
48. Yuan F-L, Xu R-S, Jiang D-L, He X-L, Su Q, Jin C, et al. Leonurine hydrochloride inhibits osteoclastogenesis and prevents osteoporosis associated with estrogen deficiency by inhibiting the NF-κB and PI3K/Akt signaling pathways. Bone 2015; 75:128–137.