1. Oduwole OO, Peltoketo H, Huhtaniemi IT. Role of follicle-stimulating hormone in spermatogenesis. Front Endocrinol 2018; 9:763-774.
2. Stocco DM. Tracking the role of a StAR in the sky of the new millennium. Mol Endocrinol 2001; 15:1245–1254.
3. Ge R, Hardy MP. Regulation of leydig cells during pubertal development. In: The Leydig Cell in Health and Disease. 2007. p. 55–70.
4. Finkel T, Holbrook NJ. Oxidants, oxidative stress and the biology of ageing. Nature 2000; 408:239–247.
5. Buchanan KL, Evans MR, Goldsmith AR, Bryant DM, Rowe L V. Testosterone influences basal metabolic rate in male house sparrows: a new cost of dominance signalling? Proc R Soc B Biol Sci 2001; 268:1337–1344.
6. Rovira-Llopis S, Bañuls C, de Marañon AM, Diaz-Morales N, Jover A, Garzon S, et al. Low testosterone levels are related to oxidative stress, mitochondrial dysfunction and altered subclinical atherosclerotic markers in type 2 diabetic male patients. Free Radic Biol Med 2017; 108:155–162.
7. Von Schantz T, Bensch S, Grahn M, Hasselquist D, Wittzell H. Good genes, oxidative stress and condition-dependent sexual signals. Proc R Soc B Biol Sci 1999; 266:1–12.
8. Rutkowska J, Cichoń M, Puerta M, Gil D. Negative effects of elevated testosterone on female fecundity in zebra finches. Horm Behav 2005; 47:585–591.
9. Aydilek N, Aksakal M, Karakilçik AZ. Effects of testosterone and vitamin E on the antioxidant system in rabbit testis. Andrologia 2004; 36:277–281.
10. Tam NNC, Gao Y, Leung YK, Ho SM. Androgenic regulation of oxidative stress in the rat prostate: involvement of NAD(P)H oxidases and antioxidant defense machinery during prostatic involution and regrowth. Am J Pathol 2003; 163:2513–2522.
11. Guzmán DC, Mejía GB, Vázquez IE, García EH, Del Angel DS, Olguín HJ. Effect of testosterone and steroids homologues on indolamines and lipid peroxidation in rat brain. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 2005; 94:369–373.
12. Aminiahidashti H, Shafiee S, Mousavi SJ, Hajiaghaei G. Tramadol pill alone may cause serotonin syndrome. Chin Med J 2016; 129:877–878.
13. Fawzi MM. Medicolegal aspects concerning tramadol abuse. the new middle east youth plague: an egyptian overview. J Forensic Res 2011; 2:1-10.
14. Bar-Or D, Salottolo KM, Orlando A, Winkler J V. A randomized double-blind, placebo-controlled multicenter study to evaluate the efficacy and safety of two doses of the tramadol orally disintegrating tablet for the treatment of premature ejaculation within less than 2 minutes. Eur Urol 2012; 61:736–743.
15. El Sawy MM, Malak HWA. Effect of tramadol abuse on testicular tissue of adult albino rats: a light and electron microscopic study. Egypt J Histol 2015; 38:356–366.
16. Oda SS, El-Ashmawy IM. Adverse effects of the anabolic steroid, boldenone undecylenate, on reproductive functions of male rabbits. Int J Exp Pathol 2012; 93:172–178.
17. Sharma R, Biedenharn KR, Fedor JM, Agarwal A. Lifestyle factors and reproductive health: taking control of your fertility. Reprod Biol Endocrinol 2013; 11:66-81.
18. Dohle GR, Smit M, Weber RFA. Androgens and male fertility. World J Urol 2003; 21:341–345.
19. Coward RM, Rajanahally S, Kovac JR, Smith RP, Pastuszak AW, Lipshultz LI. Anabolic steroid induced hypogonadism in young men. J Urol 2013; 190:2200–2205.
20. Hosseini-Sharifabad A, Rabbani M, Sharifzadeh M, Bagheri N. Acute and chronic tramadol administration impair spatial memory in rat. Res Pharm Sci 2016; 11:49–57.
21. Bueno A, Carvalho FB, Gutierres JM, Lhamas C, Andrade CM. A comparative study of the effect of the dose and exposure duration of anabolic androgenic steroids on behavior, cholinergic regulation, and oxidative stress in rats. PLoS One 2017; 12:1-19.
22. Van Rijn CM, Krijnen H, Menting-Hermeling S, Coenen AML. Decapitation in rats: latency to unconsciousness and the “wave of death.” PLoS One 2011; 6:16514-16520.
23. Ohkawa H, Ohishi N, Yagi K. Assay for lipid peroxides in animal tissues by thiobarbituric acid reaction. Anal Biochem 1979; 95:351–358.
24. Ellman GL. Tissue sulfhydryl groups. Arch Biochem Biophys 1959; 82:70–77.
25. Nishikimi M, Appaji Rao N, Yagi K. The occurrence of superoxide anion in the reaction of reduced phenazine methosulfate and molecular oxygen. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 1972; 46:849–854.
26. García-Robledo E, Corzo A, Papaspyrou S. A fast and direct spectrophotometric method for the sequential determination of nitrate and nitrite at low concentrations in small volumes. Mar Chem 2014; 162:30–36.
27. Bancroft J d, Gamble M. Bancroft’s theory and practice of histological techniques. Bancroft’s Theory and Practice of Histological Techniques. Elsevier; 2019.
28. Wu PY, Scarlata E, O’flaherty C. Long-term adverse effects of oxidative stress on rat epididymis and spermatozoa. Antioxidants 2020; 9:170-186.
29. Tremellen K. Oxidative stress and male infertility - a clinical perspective. Hum Reprod Update 2008; 14:243–258.
30. Smith R, Kaune H, Parodi D, Madariaga M, Rios R, Morales I, et al. Increased sperm DNA damage in patients with varicocele: relationship with seminal oxidative stress. Hum Reprod 2006; 21:986–993.
31. Ilbey YO, Ozbek E, Cekmen M, Simsek A, Otunctemur A, Somay A. Protective effect of curcumin in cisplatin-induced oxidative injury in rat testis: mitogen-activated protein kinase and nuclear factor-kappa B signaling pathways. Hum Reprod 2009; 24:1717–1725.
32. Hassan E, Kahilo K, Kamal T, El-Neweshy M, Hassan M. Protective effect of diallyl sulfide against lead-mediated oxidative damage, apoptosis and down-regulation of CYP19 gene expression in rat testes. Life Sci 2019; 226:193–201.
33. Konuk M, Şahin T, Ciǧerci IH, Fidan AF, Korcan SE. Effects of α-lipoic acid on DNA damage, protein oxidation, lipid peroxidation, and some biochemical parameters in sub-chronic thinner-addicted rats. Turkish J Biol 2012; 36:702–710.
34. Ebokaiwe AP, D’Cruz CS, Jubendradass R, Amala Rani JS, Mathur PP, Farombi EO. Nigerian bonny-light crude oil induces alteration in testicular stress response proteins and caspase-3 dependent apoptosis in albino wistar rats. Environ Toxicol 2015; 30:242–252.
35. Ahmed MA, Kurkar A. Effects of opioid (tramadol) treatment on testicular functions in adult male rats: the role of nitric oxide and oxidative stress. Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol 2014; 41:317–323.
36. Ibrahim MAL, Salah-Eldin AE. Chronic addiction to tramadol and withdrawal effect on the spermatogenesis and testicular tissues in adult male albino rats. Pharmacology 2019; 103:202–211.
37. Ghoneim FM, Khalaf HA, Elsamanoudy AZ, Helaly AN. Effect of chronic usage of tramadol on motor cerebral cortex and testicular tissues of adult male albino rats and the effect of its withdrawal: histological, immunohistochemical and biochemical study. Int J Clin Exp Pathol 2014; 7:7323–7341.
38. Sheweita SA, Almasmari AA, El-Banna SG. Tramadol-induced hepato- and nephrotoxicity in rats: role of curcumin and gallic acid as antioxidants. PLoS One 2018; 13:1-18.
39. Kandemir FM, Kucukler S, Eldutar E, Caglayan C, Gülçin İ. Chrysin protects rat kidney from paracetamol-induced oxidative stress, inflammation, apoptosis, and autophagy: Amulti-biomarker approach. Sci Pharm 2017; 85:1-12.
40. Bodera P, Stankiewicz W, Zawada K, Antkowiak B, Paluch M, Kieliszek J, et al. Changes in antioxidant capacity of blood due to mutual action of electromagnetic field (1800 MHz) and opioid drug (tramadol) in animal model of persistent inflammatory state. Pharmacol Rep 2013; 65:421–428.
41. Behairy A, El-Sharkawy NI, Saber TM, Soliman MM, Metwally MMM, Abd El-Rahman GI, et al. The modulatory role of vitamin C in boldenone undecylenate induced testicular oxidative damage and androgen receptor dysregulation in adult male rats. Antioxidants 2020; 9:1–16.
42. Ibrahim SS, Said AM. Effect of lycopene in amelioration of testicular and renal toxicity induced by boldenone undecylenate in male albino rats. Int J Med Biomed Stud 2019; 3:1-9.
43. Turner TT, Lysiak JJ. Oxidative stress: a common factor in testicular dysfunction. J Androl 2008; 29:488–498.
44. Chen Z, Hauser R, Trbovich AM, Shifren JL, Dorer DJ, Godfrey-Bailey L, et al. The relationship between human semen characteristics and sperm apoptosis: a pilot study. J Androl 2006; 27:112–120.
45. Arisha AH, Ahmed MM, Kamel MA, Attia YA, Hussein MMA. Morin ameliorates the testicular apoptosis, oxidative stress, and impact on blood–testis barrier induced by photo-extracellularly synthesized silver nanoparticles. Environ Sci Pollut Res 2019; 26:28749–28762.
46. Atici S, Cinel L, Cinel I, Doruk N, Aktekin M, Akca A, et al. Opioid neurotoxicity: comparison of morphine and tramadol in an experimental model. Int J Neurosci 2004; 114:1001–1011.
47. Koohsari M, Ahangar N, Mohammadi E, Talebpour Amiri F, Shaki F. Effects of tramadol administration on male reproductive toxicity in wistar rats: the role of oxidative stress, mitochondrial dysfunction, apoptosis-related gene expression, and nuclear factor kappa B signalling. Bratislava Med J 2020; 121:400–1410.
48. Awadalla EA, Salah-Eldin AE. Molecular and histological changes in cerebral cortex and lung tissues under the effect of tramadol treatment. Biomed Pharmacother 2016; 82:269–280.
49. Mayada RF, Taghred MS, Haytham AA. Boldenone-induced apoptotic, structural, and functional alterations in the liver of rabbits. World Rabbit Sci 2015; 23:39–46.
50. Faccio L, Da Silva AS, Tonin AA, França RT, Gressler LT, Copetti MM, et al. Serum levels of LH, FSH, estradiol and progesterone in female rats experimentally infected by Trypanosoma evansi. Exp Parasitol 2013; 135:110–115.
51. Abdellatief RB, Elgamal DA, Mohamed EEM. Effects of chronic tramadol administration on testicular tissue in rats: an experimental study. Andrologia 2015; 47:674–679.
52. Aloisi AM, Aurilio C, Bachiocco V, Biasi G, Fiorenzani P, Pace MC, et al. Endocrine consequences of opioid therapy. Psychoneuroendocrinology 2009; 34:162-168.
53. Yan M, Li L, Mao B, Li H, Li SYT, Mruk D, et al. MTORC1/rpS6 signaling complex modifies BTB transport function: an in vivo study using the adjudin model. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 2019; 317:121–138.