1. Atanasov AG, Zotchev SB, Dirsch VM, Orhan IE, Banach M, Rollinger JM, et al. Natural products in drug discovery: advances and opportunities. Nat Rev Drug Discov 2021; 20:200-216.
2. Hosseinzadeh H, Nassiri-Asl M. Avicenna’s (Ibn Sina) the canon of medicine and saffron (Crocus sativus): A review. Phytother Res 2013; 27:475-483.
3. Shariati-Moghaddam A, editor New saffron products and food technology2004; Leuven, Belgium: International Society for Horticultural Science (ISHS).
4. Leone S, Recinella L, Chiavaroli A, Orlando G, Ferrante C, Leporini L, et al. Phytotherapic use of the Crocus sativus L. (Saffron) and its potential applications: A brief overview. Phytother Res 2018; 32:2364-2375.
5. Zeinali M, Zirak MR, Rezaee SA, Karimi G, Hosseinzadeh H. Immunoregulatory and anti-inflammatory properties of Crocus sativus (Saffron) and its main active constituents: A review. Iran J Basic Med Sci 2019; 22:334-344.
6. Hosseini A, Razavi BM, Hosseinzadeh H. Saffron (Crocus sativus) petal as a new pharmacological target: A review. Iran J Basic Med Sci 2018; 21:1091-1099.
7. Hashemi M, Hosseinzadeh H. A comprehensive review on biological activities and toxicology of crocetin. Food Chem Toxicol 2019; 130:44-60.
8. Rameshrad M, Razavi BM, Hosseinzadeh H. Saffron and its derivatives, crocin, crocetin and safranal: A patent review. Expert Opin Ther Pat 2018; 28:147-165.
9. Ghaffari S, Hatami H, Dehghan G. The effect of ethanolic extract of saffron (Crocus sativus L.) on oxidative stress markers in the hippocampus of experimental models of MS. Med J Tabriz Univ Med Sci Health Serv 2015; 37:40-49.
10. Ghazavi A, Mosayebi G, Salehi H, Abtahi H. Effect of ethanol extract of saffron (Crocus sativus L.) on the inhibition of experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis in C57bl/6 mice. Pak J Biol Sci 2009; 12:690-695.
11. Haeri P, Mohammadipour A, Heidari Z, Ebrahimzadeh-Bideskan A. Neuroprotective effect of crocin on substantia nigra in MPTP-induced Parkinson’s disease model of mice. Anat Sci Int 2019; 94:119-127.
12. Tamegart L, Abbaoui A, Makbal R, Zroudi M, Bouizgarne B, Bouyatas MM, et al. Crocus sativus restores dopaminergic and noradrenergic damages induced by lead in Meriones shawi: A possible link with Parkinson’s disease. Acta Histochem 2019; 121:171-181.
13. Mokhtari Hashtjini M, Pirzad Jahromi G, Meftahi GH, Esmaeili D, Javidnazar D. Aqueous extract of saffron administration along with amygdala deep brain stimulation promoted alleviation of symptoms in post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) in rats. Avicenna J Phytomed 2018; 8:358-369.
14. Amin B, Hosseinzadeh H. Evaluation of aqueous and ethanolic extracts of saffron, Crocus sativus L., and its constituents, safranal and crocin in allodynia and hyperalgesia induced by chronic constriction injury model of neuropathic pain in rats. Fitoterapia 2012; 83:888-895.
15. Wang X, Zhang G, Qiao Y, Feng C, Zhao X. Crocetin attenuates spared nerve injury-induced neuropathic pain in mice. J Pharmacol Sci 2017; 135:141-147.
16. Georgiadou G, Grivas V, Tarantilis PA, Pitsikas N. Crocins, the active constituents of Crocus Sativus L., counteracted ketamine-induced behavioural deficits in rats. Psychopharmacology (Berl) 2014; 231:717-726.
17. Karami M, Bathaie SZ, Tiraihi T, Habibi-Rezaei M, Arabkheradmand J, Faghihzadeh S. Crocin improved locomotor function and mechanical behavior in the rat model of contused spinal cord injury through decreasing calcitonin gene related peptide (CGRP). Phytomedicine 2013; 21:62-67.
18. Farjah GH, Salehi S, Ansari MH, Pourheidar B. Protective effect of Crocus sativus L. (saffron) extract on spinal cord ischemia-reperfusion injury in rats. Iran J Basic Med Sci 2017; 20:334-337.
19. Amin B, Malekzadeh M, Heidari MR, Hosseinzadeh H. Effect of Crocus sativus extracts and its active constituent safranal on the harmaline-induced tremor in mice. Iran J Basic Med Sci 2015; 18:449-458.
20. Wang K, Zhang L, Rao W, Su N, Hui H, Wang L, et al. Neuroprotective effects of crocin against traumatic brain injury in mice: Involvement of notch signaling pathway. Neurosci Lett 2015; 591:53-58.
21. Sadeghnia HR, Shaterzadeh H, Forouzanfar F, Hosseinzadeh H. Neuroprotective effect of safranal, an active ingredient of Crocus sativus in a rat model of transient cerebral ischemia. Folia Neuropathol 2017; 55:206-213.
22. Vakili A, Einali MR, Bandegi AR. Protective effect of crocin against cerebral ischemia in a dose-dependent manner in a rat model of ischemic stroke. J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis 2014; 23:106-113.
23. Lane CA, Hardy J, Schott JM. Alzheimer’s disease. Eur J Neurol 2018; 25:59-70.
24. Akhondzadeh S, Shafiee Sabet M, Harirchian MH, Togha M, Cheraghmakani H, Razeghi S, et al. A 22-week, multicenter, randomized, double-blind controlled trial of Crocus sativus in the treatment of mild-to-moderate Alzheimer’s disease. Psychopharmacology (Berl) 2010; 207:637-643.
25. Akhondzadeh S, Sabet MS, Harirchian MH, Togha M, Cheraghmakani H, Razeghi S, et al. Saffron in the treatment of patients with mild to moderate Alzheimer’s disease: A 16-week, randomized and placebo-controlled trial. J Clin Pharm Ther 2010; 35:581-588.
26. Tsolaki M, Karathanasi E, Lazarou I, Dovas K, Verykouki E, Karacostas A, et al. Efficacy and safety of Crocus sativus L. in patients with mild cognitive impairment: One year single-blind randomized, with parallel groups, clinical trial. J Alzheimers Dis 2016; 54:129-133.
27. Cicero AF, Bove M, Colletti A, Rizzo M, Fogacci F, Giovannini M, et al. Short-term Impact of a combined nutraceutical on cognitive function, perceived stress and depression in young elderly with cognitive impairment: A pilot, double-blind, randomized clinical trial. J Prev Alzheimers Dis 2017; 4:12-15.
28. Farokhnia M, Shafiee Sabet M, Iranpour N, Gougol A, Yekehtaz H, Alimardani R, et al. Comparing the efficacy and safety of Crocus sativus L. with memantine in patients with moderate to severe Alzheimer’s disease: a double-blind randomized clinical trial. Hum Psychopharmacol 2014; 29:351-359.
29. Akouchekian S, Omranifard V, Maracy MR, Pedram A, Zefreh AA. Efficacy of herbal combination of sedge, saffron, and Astragalus honey on major neurocognitive disorder. J Res Med Sci 2018; 23:58-58.
30. Moazen-Zadeh E, Abbasi SH, Safi-Aghdam H, Shahmansouri N, Arjmandi-Beglar A, Hajhosseinn Talasaz A, et al. Effects of saffron on cognition, anxiety, and depression in patients undergoing coronary artery bypass grafting: A randomized double-blind placebo-controlled trial. J Altern Complement Med 2018; 24:361-368.
31. Akuchekian S, Layegh E, Najafi M, Barekatein M, Maracy MR, Zomorodi MH. Effects of herbal medicine on memory impairment in electroconvulsive therapy. J Res Med Sci 2012:S59-S64.
32. Ghodrat M, Sahraei H, Razjouyan J, Meftahi GH. Effects of a Saffron Alcoholic Extract on Visual Short-Term Memory in Humans: A Psychophysical Study. Neurophysiology 2014; 46:247-253.
33. Ayati Z, Yang G, Ayati MH, Emami SA, Chang D. Saffron for mild cognitive impairment and dementia: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised clinical trials. BMC Complement Med Ther 2020; 20:333.
34. Depression and other common mental disorders: global health estimates [Internet]. WHO Document Production Services. 2017. Available from: https://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/handle/10665/254610/WHO-MSD-MER-2017.2-eng.pdf.
35. Schulz PE, Arora G. Depression. Continuum (Minneap Minn) 2015; 21:756-771.
36. Akhondzadeh S, Fallah-Pour H, Afkham K, Jamshidi AH, Khalighi-Cigaroudi F. Comparison of Crocus sativus L. and imipramine in the treatment of mild to moderate depression: a pilot double-blind randomized trial [ISRCTN45683816]. BMC Complement Altern Med 2004; 4:12.
37. Noorbala AA, Akhondzadeh S, Tahmacebi-Pour N, Jamshidi AH. Hydro-alcoholic extract of Crocus sativus L. versus fluoxetine in the treatment of mild to moderate depression: a double-blind, randomized pilot trial. J Ethnopharmacol 2005; 97:281-284.
38. Akhondzadeh S, Tahmacebi-Pour N, Noorbala AA, Amini H, Fallah-Pour H, Jamshidi AH, et al. Crocus sativus L. in the treatment of mild to moderate depression: a double-blind, randomized and placebo-controlled trial. Phytother Res 2005; 19:148-151.
39. Moshiri E, Basti AA, Noorbala AA, Jamshidi AH, Hesameddin Abbasi S, Akhondzadeh S. Crocus sativus L. (petal) in the treatment of mild-to-moderate depression: a double-blind, randomized and placebo-controlled trial. Phytomedicine 2006; 13:607-611.
40. Akhondzadeh Basti A, Moshiri E, Noorbala AA, Jamshidi AH, Abbasi SH, Akhondzadeh S. Comparison of petal of Crocus sativus L. and fluoxetine in the treatment of depressed outpatients: A pilot double-blind randomized trial. Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 2007; 31:439-442.
41. Akhondzadeh Basti A, Ghoreishi SA, Noorbala AA, Akhondzadeh SH, Rezazadeh S. Petal and stigma of Crocus sativus L. in the treatment of depression: A pilot double-blind randomized trial. J Medicinal Plants 2008; 1:29-36.
42. Talaei A, Hassanpour Moghadam M, Sajadi Tabassi SA, Mohajeri SA. Crocin, the main active saffron constituent, as an adjunctive treatment in major depressive disorder: A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, pilot clinical trial. J Affect Disord 2015; 174:51-56.
43. Abedimanesh N, Ostadrahimi A, Bathaie SZ, Abedimanesh S, Motlagh B, Asghari Jafarabadi M, et al. Effects of Saffron aqueous extract and its main constituent, crocin, on health-related quality of life, depression, and sexual desire in coronary artery disease patients: A double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomized clinical trial. Iran Red Crescent Med J 2017; 19:e13676.
44. Jam IN, Sahebkar AH, Eslami S, Mokhber N, Nosrati M, Khademi M, et al. The effects of crocin on the symptoms of depression in subjects with metabolic syndrome. Adv Clin Exp Med 2017; 26:925-930.
45. Moosavi SM, Ahmadi M, Amini M, Vazirzadeh B. The effects of 40 and 80 mg hydro- alcoholic extract of Crocus sativus in the treatment of mild to moderate depression. J Mazand Univ Med Sci 2014; 24:48-53.
46. Sahraian A, Jelodar S, Javid Z, Mowla A, Ahmadzadeh L. Study the effects of saffron on depression and lipid profiles: A double blind comparative study. Asian J Psychiatr 2016; 22:174-176.
47. Lopresti AL, Drummond PD. Efficacy of curcumin, and a saffron/curcumin combination for the treatment of major depression: A randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled study. J Affect Disord 2017; 207:188-196.
48. Ahmadpanah M, Ramezanshams F, Ghaleiha A, Akhondzadeh S, Sadeghi Bahmani D, Brand S. Crocus Sativus L. (saffron) versus sertraline on symptoms of depression among older people with major depressive disorders-a double-blind, randomized intervention study. Psychiatry Res 2019; 282:112613.
49. Hausenblas HA, Saha D, Dubyak PJ, Anton SD. Saffron (Crocus sativus L.) and major depressive disorder: A meta-analysis of randomized clinical trials. J Integr Med 2013; 11:377-383.
50. Lopresti AL, Smith SJ, Hood SD, Drummond PD. Efficacy of a standardised saffron extract (affron®) as an add-on to antidepressant medication for the treatment of persistent depressive symptoms in adults: A randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled study. J Psychopharmacol 2019; 33:1415-1427.
51. Shahmansouri N, Farokhnia M, Abbasi SH, Kassaian SE, Noorbala Tafti AA, Gougol A, et al. A randomized, double-blind, clinical trial comparing the efficacy and safety of Crocus sativus L. with fluoxetine for improving mild to moderate depression in post percutaneous coronary intervention patients. J Affect Disord 2014; 155:216-222.
52. Nguyen J. A literature review of alternative therapies for postpartum depression. Nurs Womens Health 2017; 21:348-359.
53. Tabeshpour J, Sobhani F, Sadjadi SA, Hosseinzadeh H, Mohajeri SA, Rajabi O, et al. A double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial of saffron stigma (Crocus sativus L.) in mothers suffering from mild-to-moderate postpartum depression. Phytomedicine 2017; 36:145-152.
54. Kashani L, Eslatmanesh S, Saedi N, Niroomand N, Ebrahimi M, Hosseinian M, et al. Comparison of saffron versus Fluoxetine in treatment of mild to moderate postpartum depression: A double-blind, randomized clinical trial. Pharmacopsychiatry 2017; 50:64-68.
55. Kashani L, Esalatmanesh S, Eftekhari F, Salimi S, Foroughifar T, Etesam F, et al. Efficacy of Crocus sativus (saffron) in treatment of major depressive disorder associated with post-menopausal hot flashes: a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial. Arch Gynecol Obstet 2018; 297:717-724.
56. Yang X, Chen X, Fu Y, Luo Q, Du L, Qiu H, et al. Comparative efficacy and safety of Crocus sativus L. for treating mild to moderate major depressive disorder in adults: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Neuropsychiatr Dis Treat 2018; 14:1297-1305.
57. Adams GC, Balbuena L, Meng X, Asmundson GJ. When social anxiety and depression go together: A population study of comorbidity and associated consequences. J Affect Disord 2016; 206:48-54.
58. Rosellini AJ, Bourgeois ML, Correa J, Tung ES, Goncharenko S, Brown TA. Anxious distress in depressed outpatients: Prevalence, comorbidity, and incremental validity. J Psychiatr Res 2018; 103:54-60.
59. Mazidi M, Shemshian M, Mousavi SH, Norouzy A, Kermani T, Moghiman T, et al. A double-blind, randomized and placebo-controlled trial of Saffron (Crocus sativus L.) in the treatment of anxiety and depression. J Complement Integr Med 2016; 13:195-199.
60. Ghajar A, Neishabouri SM, Velayati N, Jahangard L, Matinnia N, Haghighi M, et al. Crocus sativus L. versus Citalopram in the treatment of major depressive disorder with anxious distress: A double-blind, controlled clinical trial. Pharmacopsychiatry 2017; 50:152-160.
61. Milajerdi A, Jazayeri S, Shirzadi E, Hashemzadeh N, Azizgol A, Djazayery A, et al. The effects of alcoholic extract of saffron (Crocus satious L.) on mild to moderate comorbid depression-anxiety, sleep quality, and life satisfaction in type 2 diabetes mellitus: A double-blind, randomized and placebo-controlled clinical trial. Complement Ther Med 2018; 41:196-202.
62. Lopresti AL, Drummond PD, Inarejos-Garcia AM, Prodanov M. affron((R)), a standardised extract from saffron (Crocus sativus L.) for the treatment of youth anxiety and depressive symptoms: A randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled study. J Affect Disord 2018; 232:349-357.
63. Kell G, Rao A, Beccaria G, Clayton P, Inarejos-Garcia AM, Prodanov M. affron((R)) a novel saffron extract (Crocus sativus L.) improves mood in healthy adults over 4 weeks in a double-blind, parallel, randomized, placebo-controlled clinical trial. Complement Ther Med 2017; 33:58-64.
64. Pignay-Demaria V, Lesperance F, Demaria RG, Frasure-Smith N, Perrault LP. Depression and anxiety and outcomes of coronary artery bypass surgery. Ann Thorac Surg 2003; 75:314-321.
65. Tully PJ, Baker RA. Depression, anxiety, and cardiac morbidity outcomes after coronary artery bypass surgery: A contemporary and practical review. J Geriatr Cardiol 2012; 9:197-208.
66. Selnes OA, Gottesman RF, Grega MA, Baumgartner WA, Zeger SL, McKhann GM. Cognitive and neurologic outcomes after coronary-artery bypass surgery. N Engl J Med 2012; 366:250-257.
67. Shahdadi H, Balouchi A, Dehghanmehr S. Effect of saffron oral capsule on anxiety and quality of sleep of diabetic patients in a tertiary healthcare facility in southeastern Iran: A quasi-experimental study. Trop J Pharm Res 2017; 16:2749-2753.
68. Dai L, Chen L, Wang W. Safety and efficacy of Saffron (Crocus sativus L.) for treating mild to moderate depression: A systematic review and meta-analysis. J Nerv Ment Dis 2020; 208:269-276.
69. Asrari N, Yazdian-Robati R, Abnous K, Razavi BM, Rashednia M, Hasani FV, et al. Antidepressant effects of aqueous extract of saffron and its effects on CREB, P-CREB, BDNF, and VGF proteins in rat cerebellum. J Pharmacopuncture 2018; 21:35-40.
70. Ghasemi T, Abnous K, Vahdati F, Mehri S, Razavi BM, Hosseinzadeh H. Antidepressant effect of Crocus sativus aqueous extract and its effect on CREB, BDNF, and VGF transcript and protein levels in rat hippocampus. Drug Res (Stuttg) 2015; 65:337-343.
71. Razavi BM, Sadeghi M, Abnous K, Vahdati Hasani F, Hosseinzadeh H. Study of the role of CREB, BDNF, and VGF neuropeptide in long term antidepressant activity of crocin in the rat cerebellum. Iran J Pharm Res 2017; 16:1452-1462.
72. Dorri SA, Hosseinzadeh H, Abnous K, Hasani FV, Robati RY, Razavi BM. Involvement of brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) on malathion induced depressive-like behavior in subacute exposure and protective effects of crocin. Iran J Basic Med Sci 2015; 18:958-966.
73. Xiao Q, Xiong Z, Yu C, Zhou J, Shen Q, Wang L, et al. Antidepressant activity of crocin-I is associated with amelioration of neuroinflammation and attenuates oxidative damage induced by corticosterone in mice. Physiol Behav 2019; 212:112699.
74. Hofmeister S, Bodden S. Premenstrual syndrome and premenstrual dysphoric disorder. Am Fam Physician 2016; 94:236-240.
75. Jang SH, Kim DI, Choi MS. Effects and treatment methods of acupuncture and herbal medicine for premenstrual syndrome/premenstrual dysphoric disorder: Systematic review. BMC Complement Altern Med 2014; 14:11.
76. Agha-Hosseini M, Kashani L, Aleyaseen A, Ghoreishi A, Rahmanpour H, Zarrinara AR, et al. Crocus sativus L. (saffron) in the treatment of premenstrual syndrome: a double-blind, randomised and placebo-controlled trial. Bjog 2008; 115:515-519.
77. Drubach DA. Obsessive-compulsive disorder. Continuum (Minneap Minn) 2015; 21:783-788.
78. Esalatmanesh S, Biuseh M, Noorbala AA, Mostafavi SA, Rezaei F, Mesgarpour B, et al. Comparison of saffron and fluvoxamine in the treatment of mild to moderate obsessive-compulsive disorder: A double blind randomized clinical trial. Iran J Psychiatry 2017; 12:154-162.
79. Kazemi F, Vosough I, Sepahi S, Mohajeri SA. Effect of crocin versus fluoxetine in treatment of mild to moderate obsessive-compulsive disorder: A double blind randomized clinical trial. Hum Psychopharmacol 2021; 36:e2780.
80. Tandon M, Pergjika A. Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder in preschool-age children. Child Adolesc Psychiatr Clin N Am 2017; 26:523-538.
81. Baziar S, Aqamolaei A, Khadem E, Mortazavi SH, Naderi S, Sahebolzamani E, et al. Crocus sativus L. versus Methylphenidate in treatment of children with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder: a randomized, double-blind pilot study. J Child Adolesc Psychopharmacol 2019; 29:205-212.
82. Lopresti AL, Smith SJ, Metse AP, Drummond PD. Effects of saffron on sleep quality in healthy adults with self-reported poor sleep: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. J Clin Sleep Med 2020; 16:937-947.
83. Lopresti AL, Smith SJ, Drummond PD. An investigation into an evening intake of a saffron extract (affron®) on sleep quality, cortisol, and melatonin concentrations in adults with poor sleep: a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled, multi-dose study. Sleep Med 2021; 86:7-18.
84. Pachikian BD, Copine S, Suchareau M, Deldicque L. Effects of saffron extract on sleep quality: A randomized double-blind controlled clinical trial. Nutrients 2021; 13:1473.
85. Taherzadeh Z, Khaluyan H, Iranshahy M, Rezaeitalab F, Eshaghi Ghalibaf MH, Javadi B. Evaluation of sedative effects of an intranasal dosage form containing saffron, lettuce seeds and sweet violet in primary chronic insomnia: A randomized, double-dummy, double-blind placebo controlled clinical trial. J Ethnopharmacol 2020; 262:113116.
86. Nahid K, Fariborz M, Ataolah G, Solokian S. The effect of an Iranian herbal drug on primary dysmenorrhea: a clinical controlled trial. J Midwifery Womens Health 2009; 54:401-404.
87. Meamarbashi A, Rajabi A. Preventive effects of 10-day supplementation with saffron and indomethacin on the delayed-onset muscle soreness. Clin J Sport Med 2015; 25:105-112.
88. Tamaddonfard E, Farshid AA, Eghdami K, Samadi F, Erfanparast A. Comparison of the effects of crocin, safranal and diclofenac on local inflammation and inflammatory pain responses induced by carrageenan in rats. Pharmacol Rep 2013; 65:1272-1280.
89. Asadollahi M, Nikdokht P, Hatef B, Sadr SS, Sahraei H, Assarzadegan F, et al. Protective properties of the aqueous extract of saffron (Crocus sativus L.) in ischemic stroke, randomized clinical trial. J Ethnopharmacol 2019; 238:111833.
90. Sadeghnia HR, Shaterzadeh H, Forouzanfar F, Hosseinzadeh H. Neuroprotective effect of safranal, an active ingredient of Crocus sativus , in a rat model of transient cerebral ischemia. Folia Neuropathol 2017; 55:206-213.
91. Ghiasian M, Khamisabadi F, Kheiripour N, Karami M, Haddadi R, Ghaleiha A, et al. Effects of crocin in reducing DNA damage, inflammation, and oxidative stress in multiple sclerosis patients: A double-blind, randomized, and placebo-controlled trial. J Biochem Mol Toxicol 2019; 33:e22410.
92. Razavi BM, Hosseinzadeh H. Saffron: A promising natural medicine in the treatment of metabolic syndrome. J Sci Food Agric 2017; 97:1679-1685.
93. Shafiee M, Aghili Moghaddam NS, Nosrati M, Tousi M, Avan A, Ryzhikov M, et al. Saffron against components of metabolic syndrome: current status and prospective. J Agric Food Chem 2017; 65:10837-10843.
94. Zilaee M, Ferns GA, Ghayour-Mobarhan M. Heat shock proteins and cardiovascular disease. Adv Clin Chem 2014; 64:73-115.
95. Shemshian M, Mousavi SH, Norouzy A, Kermani T, Moghiman T, Sadeghi A, et al. Saffron in metabolic syndrome: Its effects on antibody titers to heat-shock proteins 27, 60, 65 and 70. J Complement Integr Med 2014; 11:43-49.
96. Nosrati M, Nikbakht-Jam I, Eslami S, Khademi MM, Foroutan-Tanha M, Hadizadeh F, et al. Effect of crocin on antibodyt titers to heat-shock protein 27 in subjects with metabolic syndrome. Curr Clin Pharmacol 2017; 12:113-121.
97. Nikbakht-Jam I, Khademi M, Nosrati M, Eslami S, Foroutan-Tanha M, Sahebkar A, et al. Effect of crocin extracted from saffron on pro-oxidant–anti-oxidant balance in subjects with metabolic syndrome: A randomized, placebo-controlled clinical trial. Eur J Integr Med 2015; 8:307-312.
98. Zilaee M, Soukhtanloo M, Ghayour-Mobarhan M, Shemshian M, Salehi M, Ferns GAA. Effect of saffron on serum leptin levels in patients with metabolic syndrome, a double-blind, randomized and placebo-controlled trial study. Prog Nutr 2018; 20:140-144.
99. Javandoost A, Afshari A, Nikbakht-Jam I, Khademi M, Eslami S, Nosrati M, et al. Effect of crocin, a carotenoid from saffron, on plasma cholesteryl ester transfer protein and lipid profile in subjects with metabolic syndrome: A double blind randomized clinical trial. ARYA Atherosclerosis 2017; 13:245-252.
100. Kermani T, Zebarjadi M, Mehrad-Majd H, Mirhafez SR, Shemshian M, Ghasemi F, et al. Anti-inflammatory effect of Crocus sativus on the serum cytokines levels in subjects with metabolic syndrome: A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Curr Clin Pharmacol 2017; 12:122-126.
101. Fadai F, Mousavi B, Ashtari Z, Ali beigi N, Farhang S, Hashempour S, et al. Saffron aqueous extract prevents metabolic syndrome in patients with schizophrenia on olanzapine treatment: a randomized triple blind placebo controlled study. Pharmacopsychiatry 2014; 47:156-161.
102. Zheng Y, Ley SH, Hu FB. Global aetiology and epidemiology of type 2 diabetes mellitus and its complications. Nat Rev Endocrinol 2018; 14:88-98.
103. Moravej Aleali A, Amani R, Shahbazian H, Namjooyan F, Latifi SM, Cheraghian B. The effect of hydroalcoholic Saffron (Crocus sativus L.) extract on fasting plasma glucose, HbA1c, lipid profile, liver, and renal function tests in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus: A randomized double-blind clinical trial. Phytother Res 2019; 33:1648-1657.
104. Tajaddini A, Roshanravan N, Mobasseri M, Aeinehchi A, Sefid-Mooye Azar P, Hadi A, et al. Saffron improves life and sleep quality, glycaemic status, lipid profile and liver function in diabetic patients: A double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomised clinical trial. Int J Clin Pract 2021; 75:e14334.
105. Milajerdi A, Jazayeri S, Hashemzadeh N, Shirzadi E, Derakhshan Z, Djazayeri A, et al. The effect of saffron (Crocus sativus L.) hydroalcoholic extract on metabolic control in type 2 diabetes mellitus: A triple-blinded randomized clinical trial. J Res Med Sci 2018; 23:16.
106. Azimi P, Ghiasvand R, Feizi A, Hariri M, Abbasi B. Effects of cinnamon, cardamom, saffron, and ginger consumption on markers of glycemic control, lipid profile, oxidative stress, and inflammation in type 2 diabetes patients. Rev Diabet Stud 2014; 11:258-266.
107. Karimi-Nazari E, Nadjarzadeh A, Masoumi R, Marzban A, Mohajeri SA, Ramezani-Jolfaie N, et al. Effect of saffron (Crocus sativus L.) on lipid profile, glycemic indices and antioxidant status among overweight/obese prediabetic individuals: A double-blinded, randomized controlled trial. Clin Nutr ESPEN 2019; 34:130-136.
108. Mashmoul M, Azlan A, Khaza’ai H, Yusof BN, Noor SM. Saffron: A natural potent antioxidant as a promising anti-obesity drug. Antioxidants (Basel) 2013; 2:293-308.
109. Gout B, Bourges C, Paineau-Dubreuil S. Satiereal, a Crocus sativus L extract, reduces snacking and increases satiety in a randomized placebo-controlled study of mildly overweight, healthy women. Nutr Res 2010; 30:305-313.
110. Abedimanesh N, Bathaie SZ, Abedimanesh S, Motlagh B, Separham A, Ostadrahimi A. Saffron and crocin improved appetite, dietary intakes and body composition in patients with coronary artery disease. J Cardiovasc Thorac Res 2017; 9:200-208.
111. Akhondzadeh S, Mostafavi SA, Keshavarz SA, Mohammadi MR, Hosseini S, Eshraghian MR. A placebo controlled randomized clinical trial of Crocus sativus L. (saffron) on depression and food craving among overweight women with mild to moderate depression. J Clin Pharm Ther 2020;45:134-143.
112. Pour FK, Aryaeian N, Mokhtare M, Mirnasrollahi Parsa RS, Jannani L, Agah S, et al. The effect of saffron supplementation on some inflammatory and oxidative markers, leptin, adiponectin, and body composition in patients with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease: A double-blind randomized clinical trial. Phytother Res 2020; 34:3367-3378.
113. Naserizadeh SK, Taherifard MH, Shekari M, Mesrkanlou HA, Asbaghi O, Nazarian B, et al. The effect of crocin supplementation on lipid concentrations and fasting blood glucose: A systematic review and meta-analysis and meta-regression of randomized controlled trials. Complement Ther Med 2020; 52:102500.
114. Asbaghi O, Soltani S, Norouzi N, Milajerdi A, Choobkar S, Asemi Z. The effect of saffron supplementation on blood glucose and lipid profile: A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Complement Ther Med 2019; 47:102158.
115. Rahmani J, Bazmi E, Clark C, Hashemi Nazari SS. The effect of Saffron supplementation on waist circumference, HA1C, and glucose metabolism: A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized clinical trials. Complement Ther Med 2020; 49:102298.
116. Heitmar R, Brown J, Kyrou I. Saffron (Crocus sativus L.) in ocular diseases: A narrative review of the existing evidence from clinical studies. Nutrients 2019;11:649.
117. Falsini B, Piccardi M, Minnella A, Savastano C, Capoluongo E, Fadda A, et al. Influence of saffron supplementation on retinal flicker sensitivity in early age-related macular degeneration. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 2010; 51:6118-6124.
118. Piccardi M, Marangoni D, Minnella AM, Savastano MC, Valentini P, Ambrosio L, et al. A longitudinal follow-up study of saffron supplementation in early age-related macular degeneration: sustained benefits to central retinal function. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 2012; 2012:429124.
119. Marangoni D, Falsini B, Piccardi M, Ambrosio L, Minnella AM, Savastano MC, et al. Functional effect of Saffron supplementation and risk genotypes in early age-related macular degeneration: a preliminary report. J Transl Med 2013; 11:228.
120. Lashay A, Sadough G, Ashrafi E, Lashay M, Movassat M, Akhondzadeh S. Short-term outcomes of saffron supplementation in patients with age-related macular degeneration: A double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomized trial. Med Hypothesis Discov Innov Ophthalmol 2016; 5:32-38.
121. Abbas R, Yunes P, Alishiri AA, Hosseini MA, Zarchi AAK, Amirhossein S. The impact of saffron (Crocus sativus) supplementation on visual function in patients with dry age-related macular degeneration. Ital J Med 2016; 11:196-201.
122. Broadhead GK, Grigg JR, McCluskey P, Hong T, Schlub TE, Chang AA. Saffron therapy for the treatment of mild/moderate age-related macular degeneration: a randomised clinical trial. Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 2019; 257:31-40.
123. Piccardi M, Fadda A, Martelli F, Marangoni D, Magli A, Minnella AM, et al. Anti-oxidant saffron and central retinal function in ABCA4-related Stargardt macular dystrophy. Nutrients 2019; 11:2461.
124. Jabbarpoor Bonyadi MH, Yazdani S, Saadat S. The ocular hypotensive effect of saffron extract in primary open angle glaucoma: A pilot study. BMC Complement Altern Med 2014; 14:399.
125. Sepahi S, Mohajeri SA, Hosseini SM, Khodaverdi E, Shoeibi N, Namdari M, et al. Effects of crocin on diabetic maculopathy: A placebo-controlled randomized clinical trial. Am J Ophthalmol 2018; 190:89-98.
126. Safarinejad MR, Shafiei N, Safarinejad S. An open label, randomized, fixed-dose, crossover study comparing efficacy and safety of sildenafil citrate and saffron (Crocus sativus Linn.) for treating erectile dysfunction in men naive to treatment. Int J Impot Res 2010; 22:240-250.
127. Shamsa A, Hosseinzadeh H, Molaei M, Shakeri MT, Rajabi O. Evaluation of Crocus sativus L. (saffron) on male erectile dysfunction: a pilot study. Phytomedicine 2009; 16:690-693.
128. Mohammadzadeh-Moghadam H, Nazari SM, Shamsa A, Kamalinejad M, Esmaeeli H, Asadpour AA, et al. Effects of a topical saffron (Crocus sativus L.) gel on erectile dysfunction in diabetics: A randomized, parallel-group, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. J Evid Based Complementary Altern Med 2015; 20:283-286.
129. Modabbernia A, Sohrabi H, Nasehi AA, Raisi F, Saroukhani S, Jamshidi A, et al. Effect of saffron on fluoxetine-induced sexual impairment in men: randomized double-blind placebo-controlled trial. Psychopharmacology (Berl) 2012; 223:381-388.
130. Kashani L, Raisi F, Saroukhani S, Sohrabi H, Modabbernia A, Nasehi AA, et al. Saffron for treatment of fluoxetine-induced sexual dysfunction in women: randomized double-blind placebo-controlled study. Hum Psychopharmacol 2013; 28:54-60.
131. Safarinejad MR, Shafiei N, Safarinejad S. A prospective double-blind randomized placebo-controlled study of the effect of saffron (Crocus sativus Linn.) on semen parameters and seminal plasma antioxidant capacity in infertile men with idiopathic oligoasthenoteratozoospermia. Phytother Res 2011; 25:508-516.
132. Badr YAA, Sepehran E, Azar AD, Sadeghi H, Nouri M. The effect of saffron on semen analysis in infertile men with clinical varicocele after varicocelectomy. Nephro-Urol Mon 2017; 9:e59939.
133. Ahmadi Khatir S, Bayatian A, Barzegari A, Roshanravan N, Safaiyan A, Pavon Djavid G, et al. Saffron (Crocus sativus L.) supplements modulate circulating microRNA (MIR-21) in atherosclerosis patients; a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Iran Red Crescent Med J 2018; 20:0-0.
134. Abedimanesh N, Motlagh B, Abedimanesh S, Bathaie SZ, Separham A, Ostadrahimi A. Effects of crocin and saffron aqueous extract on gene expression of SIRT1, AMPK, LOX1, NF-κB, and MCP-1 in patients with coronary artery disease: A randomized placebo-controlled clinical trial. Phytother Res 2020; 34:1114-1122.
135. Abedimanesh S, Bathaie SZ, Ostadrahimi A, Asghari Jafarabadi M, Taban Sadeghi M. The effect of crocetin supplementation on markers of atherogenic risk in patients with coronary artery disease: a pilot, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trial. Food Funct 2019; 10:7461-7475.
136. Imenshahidi M, Hosseinzadeh H, Javadpour Y. Hypotensive effect of aqueous saffron extract (Crocus sativus L.) and its constituents, safranal and crocin, in normotensive and hypertensive rats. Phytother Res 2010; 24:990-994.
137. Razavi BM, Amanloo MA, Imenshahidi M, Hosseinzadeh H. The relaxant activity of safranal in isolated rat aortas is mediated predominantly via an endothelium-independent mechanism-Vasodilatory mechanism of safranal. J Pharmacopunct 2016; 19:329-335.
138. Razavi BM, Seyfabad MS, Hosseinzadeh H, Imenshahidi M. Crocin-induced endothelium-dependent relaxation in isolated rat aorta. Jundishapur J Nat Pharm Prod 2017; 12:e32801.
139. Razavi BM, Alyasin A, Hosseinzadeh H, Imenshahidi M. Saffron induced relaxation in isolated rat aorta via endothelium dependent and independent mechanisms. Iran J Pharm Sci 2018; 17:1018-1025.
140. Razavi M, Hosseinzadeh H, Abnous K, Motamedshariaty VS, Imenshahidi M. Crocin restores hypotensive effect of subchronic administration of diazinon in rats. Iran J Basic Med Sci 2013; 16:64-72.
141. Modaghegh MH, Shahabian M, Esmaeili HA, Rajbai O, Hosseinzadeh H. Safety evaluation of saffron (Crocus sativus) tablets in healthy volunteers. Phytomedicine 2008; 15:1032-1037.
142. Azimi P, Ghiasvand R, Feizi A, Hosseinzadeh J, Bahreynian M, Hariri M, et al. Effect of cinnamon, cardamom, saffron and ginger consumption on blood pressure and a marker of endothelial function in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus: A randomized controlled clinical trial. Blood Press 2016; 25:133-140.
143. Hooshmand-Moghadam B, Eskandari M, Shabkhiz F, Mojtahedi S, Mahmoudi N. Saffron (Crocus sativus L.) in combination with resistance training reduced blood pressure in the elderly hypertensive men: A randomized controlled trial. Br J Clin Pharmacol 2021; 87:3255-3267.
144. Khorasany AR, Hosseinzadeh H. Therapeutic effects of saffron (Crocus sativus L.) in digestive disorders: A review. Iran J Basic Med Sci 2016; 19:455-469.
145. Tadyon Najafabadi B, Ghamari K, Kermany Ranjabari T, Noorbala AA, Ebrahimi Daryani N, Vanaki E, et al. Therapeutic effects of saffron (Crocus sativus) versus fluoxetine on Irritable Bowel Syndrome: A double-blind randomized clinical trial. Adv Integr Med 2019;6:167-173.
146. Tahvilian N, Masoodi M, Faghihi Kashani A, Vafa M, Aryaeian N, Heydarian A, et al. Effects of saffron supplementation on oxidative/antioxidant status and severity of disease in ulcerative colitis patients: A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study. Phytother Res 2021; 35:946-953.
147. Hosseini SA, Zilaee M, Shoushtari MH, Ghasemi Dehcheshmeh M. An evaluation of the effect of saffron supplementation on the antibody titer to heat-shock protein (HSP) 70, hsCRP and spirometry test in patients with mild and moderate persistent allergic asthma: A triple-blind, randomized placebo-controlled trial. Respir Med 2018; 145:28-34.
148. Zilaee M, Hosseini SA, Jafarirad S, Abolnezhadian F, Cheraghian B, Namjoyan F, et al. An evaluation of the effects of saffron supplementation on the asthma clinical symptoms and asthma severity in patients with mild and moderate persistent allergic asthma: a double-blind, randomized placebo-controlled trial. Respir Res 2019; 20:39.
149. Hamidi Z, Aryaeian N, Abolghasemi J, Shirani F, Hadidi M, Fallah S, et al. The effect of saffron supplement on clinical outcomes and metabolic profiles in patients with active rheumatoid arthritis: A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trial. Phytother Res 2020; 34:1650-1658.
150. Poursamimi J, Shariati-Sarabi Z, Tavakkol-Afshari J, Mohajeri SA, Ghoryani M, Mohammadi M. Immunoregulatory effects of Krocina™, a herbal medicine made of crocin, on osteoarthritis patients: A successful clinical trial in iran. Iran J Allergy Asthma Immunol 2020; 19:253-263.
151. Hosseini A, Razavi BM, Hosseinzadeh H. Pharmacokinetic properties of saffron and its active components. Eur J Drug Metab Pharmacokinet 2018; 43:383-390.
152. Mohamadpour AH, Ayati Z, Parizadeh MR, Rajbai O, Hosseinzadeh H. Safety evaluation of crocin (a constituent of saffron) tablets in healthy volunteers. Iran J Basic Med Sci 2013; 16:39-46.
153. Bostan HB, Mehri S, Hosseinzadeh H. Toxicology effects of saffron and its constituents: a review. Iran J Basic Med Sci 2017; 20:110-121.