1. Lubetzki C, Stankoff B. Demyelination in multiple sclerosis. Handb Clin Neurol. 2014; 122: 89-99.
2. Gandhi R, Laroni A, Weiner HL. Role of the innate immune system in the pathogenesis of multiple sclerosis. J Neuroimmunol 2010; 221: 7-14.
3. Harris VK, Donelan N, Yan QJ, Clark K, Touray A, Rammal M, et al. Cerebrospinal fluid fetuin-A is a biomarker of active multiple sclerosis. Mult Scler 2013; 19:1462-1472.
4. Aroner SA, Mukamal KJ, St-Jules DE, Budoff MJ, Katz R, Criqui MH, et al. Fetuin-A and risk of diabetes independent of liver fat content: the multi-ethnic study of atherosclerosis. Am J Epidemiol 2017; 185: 54-64.
5. Chattopadhyay M, Mukherjee S, Chatterjee SK, Chattopadhyay D, Das S, Majumdar SS, et al. Impairment of energy sensors, SIRT1 and AMPK, in lipid induced inflamed adipocyte is regulated by fetuin A. Cell Signal 2018; 42: 67-76.
6. Jung TW, Ahn SH, Shin JW, Kim HC, Park ES, Abd El‐Aty A, et al. Protectin DX ameliorates palmitate‐induced hepatic insulin resistance through AMPK/SIRT 1‐mediated modulation of fetuin‐A and SeP expression. Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol 2019; 46: 898-909.
7. Nath N, Khan M, Rattan R, Mangalam A, Makkar RS, de Meester C, et al. Loss of AMPK exacerbates experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis disease severity. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 2009; 386: 16-20.
8. Tullius SG, Biefer HRC, Li S, Trachtenberg AJ, Edtinger K, Quante M, et al. NAD+ protects against EAE by regulating CD4+ T-cell differentiation. Nat Commun 2014; 5: 1-17.
9. Wang J, Zhao C, Kong P, Sun H, Sun Z, Bian G, et al. Treatment with NAD+ inhibited experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis by activating AMPK/SIRT1 signaling pathway and modulating Th1/Th17 immune responses in mice. Int Immunopharmacol 2016; 39: 287-294.
10. Close GL, Hamilton DL, Philp A, Burke LM, Morton JP. New strategies in sport nutrition to increase exercise performance. Free Radic Biol Med 2016; 98: 144-158.
11. Zhang Y-J, Li J, Huang W, Mo G-Y, Wang L-H, Zhuo Y, et al. Effect of electroacupuncture combined with treadmill exercise on body weight and expression of PGC-1α, Irisin and AMPK in skeletal muscle of diet-induced obesity rats. Zhen Ci Yan Jiu 2019; 44: 476-480.
12. Costford SR, Bajpeyi S, Pasarica M, Albarado DC, Thomas SC, Xie H, et al. Skeletal muscle NAMPT is induced by exercise in humans. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 2010; 298: 117-126.
13. Ren G, Bowers RL, Kim T, Araya‐Ramirez F, Mahurin AJ, Dean DM, et al. Alterations of serum ser312‐phosphorylated fetuin‐A from exercise‐induced moderate body weight loss in individuals with obesity. Obesity 2020; 28: 544-551.
14. Zhang L-Y, Liu T, Teng Y-Q, Yao X-Y, Zhao T-T, Lin L-Y, et al. Effect of a 12-week aerobic exercise training on serum fetuin-A and adipocytokine levels in type 2 diabetes. Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes 2018; 126: 487-492.
15. Blumenthal JB, Gitterman A, Ryan AS, Prior SJ. Effects of exercise training and weight loss on plasma fetuin-a levels and insulin sensitivity in overweight older men. J Diabetes Res 2017; 1492581: 1-7.
16. Sakr HF, Al-Hashem FH, El-Naby WMH, Alkhateeb MA, Zaki MSA, Refaey HME, et al. Preventive roles of swimming exercise and pioglitazone treatment on hepatic dysfunction in a rat model of metabolic syndrome. Can J Physiol Pharmacol 2014; 92: 162-170.
17. Keihanian A, Arazi H, Kargarfard M. Effects of aerobic versus resistance training on serum fetuin-A, fetuin-B, and fibroblast growth factor-21 levels in male diabetic patients. Physiol Int 2019; 106: 70-80.
18. Ennequin G, Sirvent P, Whitham M. Role of exercise-induced hepatokines in metabolic disorders. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 2019; 317: 11-24.
19. Hoene M, Franken H, Fritsche L, Lehmann R, Pohl A, Häring H, et al. Activation of the mitogen-activated protein kinase (MAPK) signalling pathway in the liver of mice is related to plasma glucose levels after acute exercise. Diabetologia 2010; 53: 1131-1141.
20. Pal D, Dasgupta S, Kundu R, Maitra S, Das G, Mukhopadhyay S, et al. Fetuin-A acts as an endogenous ligand of TLR4 to promote lipid-induced insulin resistance. Nat Med 2012; 18: 1279-1285.
21. Quchan AHSK, Kordi MR, Namdari H, Shabkhiz F. Voluntary wheel running stimulates the expression of Nrf-2 and interleukin-10 but suppresses interleukin-17 in experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis. Neurosci Lett 2020; 738: 135382-135392.
22. Morissette MP, Susser SE, Stammers AN, Moffatt TL, Wigle JT, Wigle TJ, et al. Exercise-induced increases in the expression and activity of cardiac sarcoplasmic reticulum calcium ATPase 2 is attenuated in AMPKα2 kinase-dead mice. Can J Physiol Pharmacol 2019; 97: 786-795.
23. Richter EA, Ruderman NB. AMPK and the biochemistry of exercise: implications for human health and disease. Biochem J 2009; 418: 261-275.
24. Wadley G, Lee-Young RS, Canny BJ, Wasuntarawat C, Chen Z-P, Hargreaves M, et al. Effect of exercise intensity and hypoxia on skeletal muscle AMPK signaling and substrate metabolism in humans. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 2006; 290: 694-702.
25. Imai S-I, Armstrong CM, Kaeberlein M, Guarente L. Transcriptional silencing and longevity protein Sir2 is an NAD-dependent histone deacetylase. Nature 2000; 403: 795-800.
26. Custodero C, Saini SK, Shin MJ, Jeon YK, Christou DD, McDermott MM, et al. Nicotinamide riboside—A missing piece in the puzzle of exercise therapy for older adults? Exp Gerontol 2020; 137: 110972-111000.
27. Kourtzidis IA, Stoupas AT, Gioris IS, Veskoukis AS, Margaritelis NV, Tsantarliotou M, et al. The NAD+ precursor nicotinamide riboside decreases exercise performance in rats. J Int Soc Sports Nutr 2016; 13: 1-4.
28. Wang X, Li B, Liu L, Zhang L, Ma T, Guo L. Nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide treatment alleviates the symptoms of experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis by activating autophagy and inhibiting the NLRP3 inflammasome. Int Immunopharmacol 2021; 90: 107092-107102.
29. Revollo JR, Grimm AA, Imai S-i. The NAD biosynthesis pathway mediated by nicotinamide phosphoribosyltransferase regulates Sir2 activity in mammalian cells. J Biol Chem 2004; 279: 50754-50763.
30. Shibata K, Matsumoto K, Fushiki T, Sugimoto E. Effects of exercise on the metabolism of NAD in rats. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 1994; 58: 1763-1766.