1. Matthay MA, Zemans RL, Zimmerman GA, Arabi YM, Beitler JR, Mercat A, et al. Acute respiratory distress syndrome. Nat Rev Dis Primers 2019; 5: 18.
2. Marley RA, Simon K. Lung-protective ventilation. Annu Rev Nurs Res 2017; 35: 37-53.
3. Gattinoni L, Busana M, Giosa L, Macrì MM, Quintel M. Prone positioning in acute respiratory distress syndrome. Semin Respir Crit Care Med 2019; 40: 94-100.
4. Hua Y, Ou X, Li Q, Zhu T. Neuromuscular blockers in the acute respiratory distress syndrome: A meta-analysis. PLoS One 2020; 15: e0227664.
5. Villar J, Ferrando C, Martínez D, Ambrós A, Muñoz T, Soler JA, et al. Dexamethasone treatment for the acute respiratory distress syndrome: A multicentre, randomised controlled trial. Lancet Respir Med 2020; 8: 267-276.
6. Bellani G, Laffey JG, Pham T, Fan E, Brochard L, Esteban A, et al. Epidemiology, patterns of care, and mortality for patients with acute respiratory distress syndrome in intensive care units in 50 countries. JAMA 2016; 315: 788-800.
7. Herrero R, Sanchez G, Lorente JA. New insights into the mechanisms of pulmonary edema in acute lung injury. Ann Transl Med 2018; 6: 32-48.
8. Englert JA, Macias AA, Amador-Munoz D, Pinilla Vera M, Isabelle C, et al. Isoflurane ameliorates acute lung injury by preserving epithelial tight junction integrity. Anesthesiology 2015; 123: 377-388.
9. Liu Y, Mu S, Li X, Liang Y, Wang L, Ma X. Unfractionated heparin alleviates sepsis-induced acute lung injury by protecting tight junctions. J Surg Res 2019; 238: 175-185.
10. Matalon S, Bartoszewski R, Collawn JF. Role of epithelial sodium channels in the regulation of lung fluid homeostasis. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 2015; 309: L1229-1238.
11. Han J, Li H, Bhandari S, Cao F, Wang XY, Tian C, et al. Maresin conjugates in tissue regener-ation 1 improves alveolar fluid clearance by up-regulating alveolar ENaC, Na, K-ATPase in lipopolysaccharide-induced acute lung injury. J Cell Mol Med 2020; 24: 4736 - 4747.
12. Feng M, Zhong WH, Song WL, Deng YY, Yang DM, et al. Ulinastatin ameliorates pulmonary capillary endothelial permeability induced by sepsis through protection of tight junctions via inhibition of TNF-α and related pathways. Front Pharmacol 2018; 9: 823.
13. Li X, Li R, Fang Q, Jamal M, Wang C, Wang Y, et al. Oxycodone attenuates vascular leak and lung inflammation in a clinically relevant two-hit rat model of acute lung injury. Cytokine 2021; 138: 155346.
14. Yin S, Ding M, Fan L, Yu X, Liang Z, Wu L, et al. Inhibition of inflammation and regulation of AQPs/ENaCs/Na(+)-K(+)-ATPase mediated alveolar fluid transport by total flavonoids extracted from nervilia fordii in lipopolysaccharide-induced acute lung injury. Front Pharmacol 2021; 12: 603863.
15. Pang XY, Fang CC, Chen YY, Liu K, Song GM. Effects of Ulinastatin on perioperative inflammatory response and pulmonary function in cardiopulmonary bypass patients. Am J Ther 2016; 23: e1680-e1689.
16. Song Y, Miao S, Li Y, Fu H. Ulinastatin attenuates liver injury and inflammation in a cecal ligation and puncture induced sepsis mouse model. J Cell Biochem 2019; 120: 417-424.
17. Chen F, Zhu J, Wang W. Ulinastatin attenuates LPS-induced inflammation and inhibits endoplasmic reticulum stress-induced apoptosis in renal tubular epithelial cells via regulation of the TLR4/NF-κB and Nrf2/HO-1 pathways. Inflammation 2021; 44: 2323-2332.
18. Luo Y, Che W, Zhao M. Ulinastatin post-treatment attenuates lipopolysaccharide-induced acute lung injury in rats and human alveolar epithelial cells. Int J Mol Med 2017; 39: 297-306.
19. Colamonici MA, Epshtein Y, Chen W, Jacobson JR. Haloperidol attenuates lung endothelial cell permeability in vitro and in vivo. Cells 2021; 10: 2186-2196.
20. Wang R, Song W, Xie C, Zhong W, Xu H, Zhou Q, et al. Urinary trypsin inhibitor protects tight junctions of septic pulmonary capillary endothelial cells by regulating the functions of macrophages. J Inflamm Res 2021; 14: 1973-1989.
21. Li XF, Zhang XJ, Zhang C, Wang LN, Li YR, Zhang Y, et al. Ulinastatin protects brain against cerebral ischemia/reperfusion injury through inhibiting MMP-9 and alleviating loss of ZO-1 and occludin proteins in mice. Exp Neurol 2018; 302: 68-74.
22. Matthay MA, Robriquet L, Fang X. Alveolar epithelium: role in lung fluid balance and acute lung injury. Proc Am Thorac Soc 2005; 2: 206-213.
23. Matthay MA, Folkesson HG, Clerici C. Lung epithelial fluid transport and the resolution of pulmonary edema. Physiol Rev 2002; 82: 569-600.
24. Vadász I, Sznajder JI. Gas exchange disturbances regulate alveolar fluid clearance during acute lung injury. Front Immunol 2017; 8: 757-763.
25. Rui M, Duan YY, Zhang XH, Wang HL, Wang DP. Urinary trypsin inhibitor attenuates seawater-induced acute lung injury by influencing the activities of nuclear factor-ĸB and its related inflammatory mediators. Respiration 2012; 83: 335-343.
26. Mowery NT, Terzian WTH, Nelson AC. Acute lung injury. Curr Probl Surg 2020; 57: 100777.
27. Chen L, Li L, Han Y, Lv B, Zou S, Yu Q. Tong-fu-li-fei decoction exerts a protective effect on intestinal barrier of sepsis in rats through upregulating ZO-1/occludin/claudin-1 expression. J Pharmacol Sci 2020; 143: 89-96.
28. Wang X, Yu JY, Sun Y, Wang H, Shan H, Wang S. Baicalin protects LPS-induced blood-brain barrier damage and activates Nrf2-mediated antioxidant stress pathway. Int Immunoph- armacol 2021; 96: 107725.
29. Lucas R, Hadizamani Y, Enkhbaatar P, Csanyi G, Caldwell RW, Hundsberger H, et al. Dichotomous role of tumor necrosis factor in pulmonary barrier function and alveolar fluid clearance. Front Physiol 2021; 12: 793251.
30. Berger G, Guetta J, Klorin G, Badarneh R, Braun E, Brod V, et al. Sepsis impairs alveolar epithelial function by downregulating Na-K-ATPase pump. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol 2011; 301: L23-30.
31. Wynne BM, Zou L, Linck V, Hoover RS, Ma HP, Eaton DC. Regulation of lung epithelial sodium channels by cytokines and chemokines. Front Immunol 2017; 8: 766-774.
32. Yu L, Luo Q, Fang H. Mechanism of ulinastatin protection against lung injury caused by lower limb ischemia-reperfusion. Panminerva Med 2014; 56: 49-55.
33. Cao C, Yin C, Shou S, Wang J, Yu L, Li X, et al. Ulinastatin protects against LPS-induced acute lung injury by attenuating TLR4/NF-κB pathway activation and reducing inflammatory mediators. Shock 2018; 50: 595-605.
34. Tang QY, Wei JX, Xue SF, Liu GH, Fu LX. Fibrogrowth factor-2 protects against acute lung injury by activating the PI3K/Akt signaling pathway. J Biol Regul Homeost Agents 2020; 34: 1679-1688.
35. Wang L, Tang X, Li S. Propofol promotes migration, alleviates inflammation, and apoptosis of lipopolysaccharide-induced human pulmonary microvascular endothelial cells by activating PI3K/AKT signaling pathway via upregulating APOM expression. Drug Dev Res 2022; 83: 397-406.
36. Li ST, Dai Q, Zhang SX, Liu YJ, Yu QQ, Tan F, et al. Ulinastatin attenuates LPS-induced inflammation in mouse macrophage RAW264.7 cells by inhibiting the JNK/NF-κB signaling pathway and activating the PI3K/Akt/Nrf2 pathway. Acta Pharmacol Sin 2018; 39: 1294-1304.
37. Wang C, Li Q, Li T. Dioscin alleviates lipopolysaccharide-induced acute lung injury through suppression of TLR4 signaling pathways. Exp Lung Res 2020; 46: 11-22.
38. Wang D, Wang X, Tong W, Cui Y, Li X, et al. Umbelliferone alleviates lipopolysacc- haride-induced inflammatory responses in acute lung injury by down-regulating TLR4/ MyD88/NF-κB signaling. Inflammation 2019; 42: 440-448.