1. Qi M, He Y, Cheng Y, Fang Q, Ma R, Zhou S, et al. Icariin ameliorates streptozocin-induced diabetic nephropathy through suppressing the TLR4/NF-κB signal pathway. Food Funct 2021;12:1241–1251.
2. Schalkwijk CG, Stehouwer CDA. Methylglyoxal, a highly reactive dicarbonyl compound, in diabetes, its vascular complications, and other age-related diseases. Physiol Rev 2020;100:407–461.
3. Liu D, Cheng Y, Tang Z, Chen J, Xia Y, Xu C, et al. Potential mechanisms of methylglyoxal‐induced human embryonic kidney cells damage: Regulation of oxidative stress, DNA damage, and apoptosis. Chem Biodivers 2022;19:e202100829.
4. Wang G, Wang Y, Yang Q, Xu C, Zheng Y, Wang L, et al. Metformin prevents methylglyoxal-induced apoptosis by suppressing oxidative stress in vitro and in vivo. Cell Death Dis 2022;13:1–11.
5. Ahangarpour A, Heidari H, Mard SA, Hashemitabar M, Khodadadi A. Progesterone and cilostazol protect mice pancreatic islets from oxidative stress induced by hydrogen peroxide. Iran J Pharm Res 2014;13:937–944.
6. Miranda-Díaz AG, Pazarín-Villaseñor L, Yanowsky-Escatell FG, Andrade-Sierra J. Oxidative stress in diabetic nephropathy with early chronic kidney disease. J Diabetes Res 2016; 2016: 1-7.
7. Zeeshan HMA, Lee GH, Kim H-R, Chae H-J. Endoplasmic reticulum stress and associated ROS. Int J Mol Sci 2016;17:327.
8. Chan C, Huang D, Huang Y, Hsu S, Kang L, Shen C, et al. Methylglyoxal induces cell death through endoplasmic reticulum stress‐associated ROS production and mitochondrial dysfunction. J Cell Mol Med 2016;20:1749–1760.
9. Shaheen A. Effect of the unfolded protein response on ER protein export: a potential new mechanism to relieve ER stress. Cell Stress Chaperones 2018;23:797–806.
10. Liu Z, Lv Y, Zhao N, Guan G, Wang J. Protein kinase R-like ER kinase and its role in endoplasmic reticulum stress-decided cell fate. Cell Death Dis 2015;6:1-10.
11. San Cheang W, Wong WT, Zhao L, Xu J, Wang L, Lau CW, et al. PPARδ is required for exercise to attenuate endoplasmic reticulum stress and endothelial dysfunction in diabetic mice. Diabetes 2017;66:519–528.
12. Hanssen NMJ, Stehouwer CDA, Schalkwijk CG. Methylglyoxal stress, the glyoxalase system, and diabetic chronic kidney disease. Curr Opin Nephrol Hypertens 2019;28:26–33.
13. Liu Y-W, Zhu X, Zhang L, Lu Q, Wang J-Y, Zhang F, et al. Up-regulation of glyoxalase 1 by mangiferin prevents diabetic nephropathy progression in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. Eur J Pharmacol 2013;721:355–364.
14. McMurray KMJ, Du X, Brownlee M, Palmer AA. Neuronal overexpression of Glo1 or amygdalar microinjection of methylglyoxal is sufficient to regulate anxiety-like behavior in mice. Behav Brain Res 2016;301:119–123.
15. Cho C-H, Lee C-J, Kim M-G, Ryu B, Je J-G, Kim Y, et al. Therapeutic potential of phlorotannin-rich ecklonia cava extract on methylglyoxal-induced diabetic nephropathy in in vitro model. Mar Drugs 2022;20:355.
16. Sun Q, Shen Z, Meng Q, Liu H, Duan W, Xia Z. The role of DJ-1/Nrf2 pathway in the pathogenesis of diabetic nephropathy in rats. Ren Fail 2016;38:294–304.
17. Do MH, Lee JH, Cho K, Kang MC, Subedi L, Parveen A, et al. Therapeutic potential of Lespedeza bicolor to prevent methylglyoxal-induced glucotoxicity in familiar diabetic nephropathy. J Clin Med 2019;8:1138-1154.
18. Cheng Y, Wang D, Wang F, Liu J, Huang B, Baker MA, et al. Endogenous miR-204 protects the kidney against chronic injury in hypertension and diabetes. J Am Soc Nephrol 2020;31:1539–1554.
19. Mao Q, Chen C, Liang H, Zhong S, Cheng X, Li L. Astragaloside IV inhibits excessive mesangial cell proliferation and renal fibrosis caused by diabetic nephropathy via modulation of the TGF‑β1/Smad/miR‑192 signaling pathway. Exp Ther Med 2019;18:3053–3061.
20. Tang J, Yao D, Yan H, Chen X, Wang L, Zhan H. The role of MicroRNAs in the pathogenesis of diabetic nephropathy. Int J Endocrinol 2019; 2019: 1-8.
21. Algandaby MM. Antifibrotic effects of crocin on thioacetamide-induced liver fibrosis in mice. Saudi J Biol Sci 2018;25:747–754.
22. Munusamy S, Karch C, Frantz R, Carnevale K. Low‐dose metformin treatment ameliorates renal dysfunction and fibrosis in a mouse model of diabetic nephropathy. FASEB J 2020; 34: 1. 23. Lee B-H, Hsu W-H, Chang Y-Y, Kuo H-F, Hsu Y-W, Pan T-M. Ankaflavin: a natural novel PPARγ agonist upregulates Nrf2 to attenuate methylglyoxal-induced diabetes in vivo. Free Radic Biol Med 2012; 53: 2008–2016.
24. Qi SS, Zheng HX, Jiang H, Yuan LP, Dong LC. Protective effects of chromium picolinate against diabetic-induced renal dysfunction and renal fibrosis in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. Biomolecules 2020; 10: 398. -410.
25. Matthesen SK, Larsen T, Vase H, Lauridsen TG, Jensen JM, Pedersen EB. Effect of amiloride and spironolactone on renal tubular function and central blood pressure in patients with arterial hypertension during baseline conditions and after furosemide: a double-blinded, randomized, placebo-controlled crossover trial. Clin Exp Hypertens 2013; 35: 313–324.
26. Radmehr V, Ahangarpour A, Mard SA, Khorsandi L. Crocin ameliorates MicroRNAs-associated ER stress in type 2 diabetes induced by methylglyoxal. Iran J Basic Med Sci 2022;25:179–186.
27. Anwar S, Khan S, Almatroudi A, Khan AA, Alsahli MA, Almatroodi SA, et al. A review on mechanism of inhibition of advanced glycation end products formation by plant derived polyphenolic compounds. Mol Biol Rep 2021;1–19.
28. Rodrigues L, Matafome P, Crisóstomo J, Santos-Silva D, Sena C, Pereira P, et al. Advanced glycation end products and diabetic nephropathy: a comparative study using diabetic and normal rats with methylglyoxal-induced glycation. J Physiol Biochem 2014;70:173–184.
29. Cha S-H, Hwang Y, Heo S-J, Jun H-S. Diphlorethohydroxycarmalol attenuates methylglyoxal-induced oxidative stress and advanced glycation end product formation in human kidney cells. Oxid Med Cell Longev 2018;1-14.
30. Zhu D, Wang L, Zhou Q, Yan S, Li Z, Sheng J, et al. (+)‐Catechin ameliorates diabetic nephropathy by trapping methylglyoxal in type 2 diabetic mice. Mol Nutr Food Res 2014;58:2249–2260.
31. Ahangarpour A, Oroojan AA, Khorsandi L, Kouchak M, Badavi M. Antioxidant effect of myricitrin on hyperglycemia-induced oxidative stress in C2C12 cell. Cell Stress chaperones 2018;23:773–781.
32. Samarghandian S, Borji A, Delkhosh MB, Samini F. Safranal treatment improves hyperglycemia, hyperlipidemia and oxidative stress in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. J Pharm Pharm Sci 2013;16:352–362.
33. Stratmann B. Dicarbonyl stress in diabetic vascular disease. Int J Mol Sci 2022;23:6186-6200.
34. Do MH, Choi J, Kim Y, Ha SK, Yoo G, Hur J. Syzygium aromaticum reduces diabetes-induced glucotoxicity via the NRF2/Glo1 pathway. Planta Med 2020;86:876–883.
35. Kim M, Cho C, Lee C, Ryu B, Kim S, Hur J, et al. Ishige okamurae ameliorates methylglyoxal-induced nephrotoxicity via reducing oxidative stress, RAGE protein expression, and modulating MAPK, Nrf2/ARE signaling pathway in mouse glomerular mesangial cells. Foods 2021;10:2000-2014.
36. Suantawee T, Thilavech T, Cheng H, Adisakwattana S. Cyanidin attenuates methylglyoxal-induced oxidative stress and apoptosis in INS-1 pancreatic β-cells by increasing glyoxalase-1 activity. Nutrients 2020;12:1319-1330.
37. Zhu X, Liu H, Liu Y, Chen Y, Liu Y, Yin X. The Antidepressant-like effects of hesperidin in streptozotocin‐induced diabetic rats by activating Nrf2/ARE/Glyoxalase 1 pathway. Front Pharmacol 2020;11:1325-1339.
38. Kassan M, Vikram A, Li Q, Kim Y-R, Kumar S, Gabani M, et al. MicroRNA-204 promotes vascular endoplasmic reticulum stress and endothelial dysfunction by targeting Sirtuin1. Sci Rep 2017;7:1–11.
39. Xu G, Chen J, Jing G, Grayson TB, Shalev A. miR-204 targets PERK and regulates UPR signaling and β-cell apoptosis. Mol Endocrinol 2016;30:917–924.
40. Kassan M, Vikram A, Kim Y-R, Li Q, Kassan A, Patel HH, et al. Sirtuin1 protects endothelial Caveolin-1 expression and preserves endothelial function via suppressing miR-204 and endoplasmic reticulum stress. Sci Rep 2017;7:1–10.
41. Xu Y, Yuan H, Luo Y, Zhao Y-J, Xiao J-H. Ganoderic acid D protects human amniotic mesenchymal stem cells against oxidative stress-induced senescence through the PERK/NRF2 signaling pathway. Oxid Med Cell Longev 2020;1-18.
42. Wang B, Wang J, He W, Zhao Y, Zhang A, Liu Y, et al. Exogenous miR-29a attenuates muscle atrophy and kidney fibrosis in unilateral ureteral obstruction mice. Hum Gene Ther 2020;31:367–375.
43. Jia Y, Zheng Z, Guan M, Zhang Q, Li Y, Wang L, et al. Exendin-4 ameliorates high glucose-induced fibrosis by inhibiting the secretion of miR-192 from injured renal tubular epithelial cells. Exp Mol Med 2018;50:1–13.