1. Peptic Ulcer Disease in Egypt [Internet]. [cited 2022]. Available from: https://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/egypt-peptic-ulcer-disease
2. Laine L, Weinstein WM. Histology of alcoholic hemorrhagic “gastritis”: A prospective evaluation. Gastroenterology. 1988; 94: 1254–1262.
3. Ko JKS, Cho CH, Lam SK. Adaptive cytoprotection through modulation of nitric oxide in ethanol-evoked gastritis. World J Gastroenterol 2004; 10: 2503–2508.
4. Yanaka A. Role of NRF2 in protection of the gastrointestinal tract against oxidative stress. J Clin Biochem Nutr. 2018; 63:18–25.
5. Loboda A, Damulewicz M, Pyza E, Jozkowicz A, Dulak J. Role of Nrf2/HO-1 system in development, oxidative stress response and diseases: an evolutionarily conserved mechanism. Cell Mol Life Sci 2016; 73: 3221–3247.
6. Asaad GF, Hassan A, Mostafa RE. Anti-oxidant impact of Lisinopril and Enalapril against acute kidney injury induced by doxorubicin in male Wistar rats: Involvement of kidney injury molecule-1. Heliyon. 2021; 7:e05985.
7. Mostafa RE, Ibrahim BMM, Abdel Jaleel GA. Neuro-protective effects of Ginkgo biloba leaves extract on cerebral ischemia-reperfusion injury induced experimentally in ovariectomized rats. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016; 8: 237–242.
8. Salga MS, Ali HM, Abdulla MA, Abdelwahab SI. Gastroprotective activity and mechanism of novel dichlorido-zinc(II)-4-(2-(5-methoxybenzylideneamino)ethyl)piperazin-1-iumphenolate complex on ethanol-induced gastric ulceration. Chem Biol Interact. 2012; 195: 144–153.
9. Karakus B, Odabasoglu F, Cakir A, Halici Z, Bayir Y, Halici M, et al. The effects of methanol extract of Lobaria pulmonaria, a lichen species, on indometacin-induced gastric mucosal damage, oxidative stress and neutrophil infiltration. Phytother Res 2009; 23:635–639.
10. Wu JZ, Liu YH, Liang JL, Huang QH, Dou YX, Nie J, et al. Protective role of β-patchoulene from pogostemon cablin against indomethacin-induced gastric ulcer in rats: Involvement of anti-inflammation and angiogenesis. Phytomedicine. 2018; 39: 111–118.
11. Lawson C, Wolf S. ICAM-1 signaling in endothelial cells. Pharmacol Rep 2009; 61: 22–32.
12. Blankenberg S, Barbaux S, Tiret L. Adhesion molecules and atherosclerosis. Atherosclerosis 2003; 170: 191–203.
13. Tsuchiya T, Takeuchi T, Hayashida KI, Shimizu H, Ando K, Harada E. Milk-derived lactoferrin may block tolerance to morphine analgesia. Brain Res 2006; 1068: 102–108.
14. Fillebeen C, Descamps L, Dehouck MP, Fenart L, Benaïssa M, Spik G, et al. Receptor-mediated transcytosis of lactoferrin through the blood-brain barrier. J Biol Chem 1999; 274: 7011–7017.
15. Safaeian L, Zabolian H. Anti-oxidant effects of bovine lactoferrin on dexamethasone-induced hypertension in rat. ISRN Pharmacol 2014; 2014: 1–6.
16. Baveye S, Elass E, Mazurier J, Spik G, Legrand D. Lactoferrin: A multifunctional glycoprotein involved in the modulation of the inflammatory process. Clin Chem Lab Med 1999; 37:281–286.
17. González-Chávez SA, Arévalo-Gallegos S, Rascón-Cruz Q. Lactoferrin: Structure, function and applications. Int J Antimicrob Agents 2009; 33: 301.e1-301.e8.
18. Mulder AM, Connellan PA, Oliver CJ, Morris CA, Stevenson LM. Bovine lactoferrin supplementation supports immune and anti-oxidant status in healthy human males. Nutr Res 2008; 28: 583–589.
19. El-Dakroury WA, Zewail MB, Elsabahy M, Shabana ME, Asaad GF. Famotidine-loaded solid self-nanoemulsifying drug delivery system demonstrates exceptional efficiency in amelioration of peptic ulcer. Int J Pharm 2022; 611:1-14.
20. Sánchez-Mendoza ME, Reyes-Trejo B, Sánchez-Gómez P, Rodríguez-Silverio J, Castillo-Henkel C, Cervantes-Cuevas H, et al. Bioassay-guided isolation of an anti-ulcer chromene from Eupatorium aschenbornianum: Role of nitric oxide, prostaglandins and sulfydryls. Fitoterapia 2010; 81: 66–71.
21. Abdel-Aziz SA, Taher ES, Lan P, Asaad GF, Gomaa HAM, El-Koussi NA, et al. Design, synthesis, and biological evaluation of new pyrimidine-5-carbonitrile derivatives bearing 1,3-thiazole moiety as novel anti-inflammatory EGFR inhibitors with cardiac safety profile. Bioorg Chem 2021; 111: 104890.
22. MM B. A rapid and sensitive method for the quantitation of microgram quantities of protein utilizing the principle of protein-dye binding. Anal Biochem 1976; 72: 248–254.
23. Ohkawa H, Ohishi N, Yagi K. Assay for lipid peroxides in animal tissues by thiobarbituric acid reaction. Anal Biochem 1979; 95: 351–358.
24. Ellman GL. Tissue sulfhydryl groups. Arch Biochem Biophys. 1959; 82: 70–77.
25. Finkel T. Signal transduction by mitochondrial oxidants. J Biol Chem 2012; 287: 4434–4440.
26. Bonamin F, Moraes TM, Dos Santos RC, Kushima H, Faria FM, Silva MA, et al. The effect of a minor constituent of essential oil from Citrus aurantium: The role of β-myrcene in preventing peptic ulcer disease. Chem Biol Interact 2014; 212:11–19.
27. Ma Q. Role of Nrf2 in oxidative stress and toxicity. Annual review of pharmacology and toxicology. NIH Public Access 2013; 53: 401–426.
28. Talalay P, Dinkova-Kostova AT, Holtzclaw WD. Importance of phase 2 gene regulation in protection against electrophile and reactive oxygen toxicity and carcinogenesis. Adv Enzyme Regul. 2003; 43: 121–134.
29. Mostafa RE, Hassan A, Salama A. Thymol mitigates monosodium glutamate-induced neurotoxic cerebral and hippocampal injury in rats through overexpression of nuclear erythroid 2-related factor 2 signaling pathway as well as altering nuclear factor-kappa b and glial fibrillary acidic protein expression. Open Access Maced J Med Sci 2021; 9: 716–726.
30. Lawen A, Lane DJR. Mammalian iron homeostasis in health and disease: uptake, storage, transport, and molecular mechanisms of action. Anti-oxid Redox Signal 2013; 18: 2473–2507.
31. Ahmed SMU, Luo L, Namani A, Wang XJ, Tang X. Nrf2 signaling pathway: Pivotal roles in inflammation. Biochim Biophys acta Mol basis Dis 2017; 1863: 585–597.
32. Lingappan K. NF-κB in oxidative stress. Current Opinion in Toxicology. NIH 2018; 7: 81–86.
33. Chen S, Chen H, Du Q, Shen J. Targeting myeloperoxidase (MPO) mediated oxidative stress and inflammation for reducing brain ischemia injury: Potential application of natural compounds. Front Physiol 2020; 11: 1-16.
34. Mori N, Wada A, Hirayama T, Parks TP, Stratowa C, Yamamoto N. Activation of intercellular adhesion molecule 1 expression by helicobacter pylori is regulated by NF-κB in gastric epithelial cancer cells. Infect Immun 2000; 68: 1806-1814.
35. Liu J, Lin H, Yuan L, Wang D, Wang C, Sun J, et al. Protective effects of anwulignan against HCl/ethanol-induced acute gastric ulcer in mice. Evidence-based Complement Altern Med 2021; 2021: 1-14.
36. Lian YZ, Lin IH, Yang YC, Chao JCJ. Gastroprotective effect of Lycium barbarum polysaccharides and C-phyocyanin in rats with ethanol-induced gastric ulcer. Int J Biol Macromol 2020; 165: 1519–1528.
37. Yang PM, Wu ZZ, Zhang YQ, Wung BS. Lycopene inhibits ICAM-1 expression and NF-κB activation by Nrf2-regulated cell redox state in human retinal pigment epithelial cells. Life Sci 2016; 155: 94–101.