1. Han DY, Hoelzle JB, Dennis BC, Hoffmann M. A brief review of cognitive assessment in neurotoxicology. Neur Clin 2011; 29: 581-590.
2. Mason LH, Mathews MJ, Han DY. Neuropsychiatric symptom assessments in toxic exposure. Psychiatr Clin North Am 2013; 36: 201-208.
3. Scharf B, Clement CC, Zolla V, Perino G, Yan B, Elci SG, et al. Molecular analysis of chromium and cobalt-related toxicity. Sci Rep 2014; 4: 1-12.
4. Cheyns K, Nkulu CBL, Ngombe LK, Asosa JN, Haufroid V, De Putter T, et al. Pathways of human exposure to cobalt in Katanga, a mining area of the DR Congo. Sci Total Environ 2014; 490: 313-321.
5. Mohamed AA-R, Metwally MM, Khalil SR, Salem GA, Ali HA. Moringa oleifera extract attenuates the CoCl2 induced hypoxia of rat’s brain: expression pattern of HIF-1α, NF-kB, MAO and EPO. Biomed Pharmacother 2019; 109: 1688-1697.
6. Zhai Q, Narbad A, Chen W. Dietary strategies for the treatment of cadmium and lead toxicity. Nutrients 2014; 7: 552-571.
7. Gonzales S, Polizio AH, Erario MA, Tomaro ML. Glutamine is highly effective in preventing in vivo cobalt-induced oxidative stress in rat liver. World J Gastroenterol 2005; 11: 3533-3538.
8. Garoui EM, Fetoui H, Makni FA, Boudawara T, Zeghal N. Cobalt chloride induces hepatotoxicity in adult rats and their suckling pups. Exp Toxicol Pathol 2011; 63: 9-15.
9. Garoui EM, Troudi A, Fetoui H, Soudani N, Boudawara T, Zeghal N. Propolis attenuates cobalt induced-nephrotoxicity in adult rats and their progeny. Exp Toxicol Pathol 2012; 64: 837-846.
10. Clyne N, Hofman-Bang C, Haga Y, Hatori N, Marklund S, Pehrsson S, et al. Chronic cobalt exposure affects anti-oxidants and ATP production in rat myocardium. Scand J Clin Lab Invest 2001; 61: 609-614.
11. Achi O. Traditional fermented protein condiments in Nigeria. Afr J Biotechnol 2005; 4:375-380.
12.Ajiboye A, Agboola D, Fadimu O, Afolabi A. Antibacterial, phytochemical and proximate analysis of Prosopis africana (Linn) seed and pod extract. FUTA J Res Sci 2013; 1: 101-109.
13. Olajide O, Fadimu O, Osaguona P, Saliman M. Ethnobotanical and phytochemical studies of some selected species of leguminoseae of northern nigeria: a study of borgu local government area, niger state Nigeria. Int J Sci Nat 2013; 4: 546-551.
14. Erden‐İnal M, Sunal E, Kanbak G. Age‐related changes in the glutathione redox system. Cell Biochem Funct 2002; 20: 61-66.
15. Uzodinma E, Mbaeyi-Nwaoha I, Onwurafor E. Suitability of bacterial fermentation and foil packaging of condiment from African mesquite (Prosopis africana) seeds for nutritional retention and commercialization. Afr J Microbiol Res 2020; 14: 340-348.
16. Yusuf N, Ogah D, Hassan D, Musa M, Doma U. Effect of decorticated fermented prosopis seed meal (Prosopis africana) on growth performance of broiler chicken. Int J Poult Sci 2008; 7: 1054-1057.
17. Council NR. Guide for the care and use of laboratory animals. 2010.
18. Oria RS, Obeten KE, Etetim AE, Mgbolu PE, Ikoku GI, Ijomone OM. Ameliorative effect of prosopis africana seed extract on cobalt chloride induced cerebellar toxicity: neurobehavioural, histomorphological and biochemical findings. Niger J Neurosci 2022; 13: 9-19.
19. Fedosova E, Shatskova A, Sarkisova KY. Ethosuximide increases exploratory motivation and improves episodic memory in the novel object recognition test in WAG/Rij rats with genetic absence epilepsy. Neurosci Behav Physiol 2021; 51: 501-512.
20. Balogun WG, Morakinyo AO, Adeyemo KA, Imam A, Ishola A, Cobham A. Neuroprotective potential of mango (magnifera indica) leave extract in alloxan-induced diabetic rats. Isra Med J 2015; 7: 25-29.
21. Abad S, Camarasa J, Pubill D, Camins A, Escubedo E. Adaptive plasticity in the hippocampus of young mice intermittently exposed to MDMA could be the origin of memory deficits. Mol Neurobiol 2016; 53: 7271-7283.
22. Vaez Mahdavi MR, Roghani M, Khalili M, Dalir R. The effect of food restriction on learning and memory of male Wistar rats: a behavioral analysis. Basic Clin Neurosci 2010; 1: 20-23.
23. Ijomone OM, Olaibi OK, Mba C, Biose IJ, Tete SA, Nwoha PU. Chronic nicotine administration does not alter cognitive or mood associated behavioural parameters. Pathophysiol 2015; 22: 57-63.
24. Rao SS, Lago L, Volitakis I, Shukla JJ, McColl G, Finkelstein DI, et al. Deferiprone treatment in aged transgenic tau mice improves Y-maze performance and alters tau pathology. Neurotherapeutics 2021; 18: 1081-1094.
25. Sun W, Zhang L, Lu J, Yang G, Laundrie E, Salvi R. Noise exposure–induced enhancement of auditory cortex response and changes in gene expression. Neuroscience 2008; 156:374-380.
26. Knight P, Chellian R, Wilson R, Behnood-Rod A, Panunzio S, Bruijnzeel AW. Sex differences in the elevated plus-maze test and large open field test in adult Wistar rats. Pharmacol Biochem Behav 2021; 204: 173168-173189.
27. Martin Jr JP, Dailey M, Sugarman E. Negative and positive assays of superoxide dismutase based on hematoxylin autoxidation. Arch Biochem Biophys 1987; 255: 329-336.
28. Jollow D, Mitchell J, Zampaglione N, Gillette J. Bromobenzene-induced liver necrosis. Protective role of glutathione and evidence for 3, 4-bromobenzene oxide as the hepatotoxic metabolite. Pharmacology 1974; 11: 151-169.
29. Varshney R, Kale R. Effects of calmodulin antagonists on radiation-induced lipid peroxidation in microsomes. Int J Rad Biol 1990; 58: 733-743.
30. Wolff SP.  Ferrous ion oxidation in presence of ferric ion indicator xylenol orange for measurement of hydroperoxides. Meth Enzymol 1994; 233: 182-189.
31. Ijomone OM, Obi AU. Kolaviron, isolated from garcinia kola, inhibits acetylcholinesterase activities in the hippocampus and striatum of wistar rats. Ann Neurosci 2013; 20: 42-46.
32. Akingbade GT, Ijomone OM, Imam A, Aschner M, Ajao MS. D-ribose-l-cysteine improves glutathione levels, neuronal and mitochondrial ultrastructural damage, caspase-3 and GFAP expressions following manganese-induced neurotoxicity. Neurotox Res 2021; 39: 1846-1858.
33.Ijomone OM, Nwoha PU. Nicotine inhibits hippocampal and striatal acetylcholinesterase activities, and demonstrates dual action on adult neuronal proliferation and maturation. Pathophysiology 2015; 22: 231-239.
34. Catalani S, Rizzetti M, Padovani A, Apostoli P. Neurotoxicity of cobalt. Hum ExpToxicol 2012; 31: 421-437.
35. Omotoso GO, Mutholib NY, Abdulsalam FA, Bature AI. Kolaviron protects against cognitive deficits and cortico-hippocampal perturbations associated with maternal deprivation in rats. Anat Cell Biol 2020; 53: 95-106.
36. Neves B-H, Menezes J, Souza MA, Mello-Carpes PB. Physical exercise prevents short and long-term deficits on aversive and recognition memory and attenuates brain oxidative damage induced by maternal deprivation. Physiol Behab 2015; 152: 99-105.
37. Llano Lopez LH, Caif F, García S, Fraile M, Landa AI, Baiardi G, et al. Anxiolytic-like effect of losartan injected into amygdala of the acutely stressed rats. Pharmacol Rep 2012; 64: 54-63.
38. Ansah C, Mfoafo EA, Woode E, Duwiejua M. Anxiogenic effects of an aqueous crude extract of Cryptolepis sanguinolenta (periplocaeaeceae) in mice. Int J Pharmacol 2008; 4: 20-26.
39. Dringen R, Gutterer JM, Hirrlinger J. Glutathione metabolism in brain: metabolic interaction between astrocytes and neurons in the defense against reactive oxygen species. Eur J Biochem 2000; 267: 4912-4916.
40. Mates J. Effects of anti-oxidant enzymes in the molecular control of reactive oxygen species toxicology. Toxicology 2000; 153: 83-104.
41. Catelas I, Petit A, Vali H, Fragiskatos C, Meilleur R, Zukor DJ, et al. Quantitative analysis of macrophage apoptosis vs. necrosis induced by cobalt and chromium ions in vitro. Biomaterials 2005; 26: 2441-2453.
42. Akinrinde A, Adebiyi O. Neuroprotection by iuteolin and gallic acid against cobalt chloride-induced behavioural, morphological and neurochemical alterations in wistar rats. Neurotoxicology 2019; 74: 252-263.
43. Ugwu M, Asuk A, Utu-Baku A, Eteng M. Tissue-protective effect of Prosopis africana seed extract on testosterone and estradiol induced benign prostatic hyperplasia of adult male rats. Int J Innov Res Adv Stud 2018; 5: 72-77.
44. Mou YH, Yang JY, Cui N, Wang JM, Hou Y, Song S, et al. Effects of cobalt chloride on nitric oxide and cytokines/chemokines production in microglia. Int Immunopharmacol 2012; 13:120-125.
45. Valko M, Morris H, Cronin M. Metals, toxicity and oxidative stress. Curr Med Chem 2005; 12: 1161-1208.
46. Ognjanović BI, Marković SD, Pavlović SZ, Žikić RV, Štajn A. Effect of chronic cadmium exposure on anti-oxidant defense system in some tissues of rats: Protective effect of selenium. Physiol Res 2008; 57: 403-411.
47. Adebiyi OE, Olopade JO, Olayemi FO. Sodium metavanadate induced cognitive decline, behavioral impairments, oxidative stress and down regulation of myelin basic protein in mice hippocampus: Ameliorative roles of β‐spinasterol, and stigmasterol. Brain Behav 2018; 8: 1-10.
48. Oria R, Okafor A, Anyanwu G. Histomorphological changes in hippocampus of adult albino wistar rat following administration of graded doses of cobalt. J Sci Eng Technol 2021; 8: 78-86.
49. Allaman I, Bélanger M, Magistretti PJ. Astrocyte–neuron metabolic relationships: For better and for worse. Trends Neurosci 2011; 34: 76-87.
50. Ekong MB, Ekpene UU, Nwakanma AA, Bello EF. The combination of the extracts of Rauwolfia vomitoria and Gongronema latifolium show protective effects on the cerebellum. Synergy 2017; 5: 29-34.