1. Ríos J, Recio M, Giner R, Manez S. An update review of saffron and its active constituents. Phytother Res 1996; 10:189-193.
2. Fernández J. Anticancer properties of saffron,
Crocus sativus Linn. Adv Phytomed 2006; 313-330.
3. Hosseinzadeh H, Behravan J, Ramezani M, Ajgan Kh. Anti-tumor and cytotoxic evaluation of
Crocus sativus L. stigma and petal extracts using brine shrimp and potato disc assays. J Med Plants 2005; 4:59-65.
4. Hosseinzadeh H, Shamsaie F, Mehri S. Antioxidant activity of aqueous and ethanolic extracts of
Crocus sativus L. stigma and its bioactive constituents crocin and safranal. Pharmacogn Mag 2010; 5:419-424.
5. Sheng L, Qian Z, Zheng S, Xi L. Mechanism of hypolipidemic effect of crocin in rats: crocin inhibits pancreatic lipase. Eur J Pharmacol 2006; 543:116-122.
6. Amin B, Hosseinzadeh H. Evaluation of aqueous and ethanolic extracts of saffron,
Crocus sativus L., and its constituents, safranal and crocin in allodynia and hyperalgesia induced by chronic constriction injury model of neuropathic pain in rats. Fitoterapia 2012; 83:888-895.
7. Vosooghi S, Mahmoudabady M, Neamati A, Aghababa H. Crocin alleviates the local paw edema induced by histamine in rats. Avicenna J Phytomed 2012; 2:97-104.
8. Hosseinzadeh H, Talebzadeh F. Anticonvulsant evaluation of safranal and crocin from
Crocus sativus in mice. Fitoterapia 2005; 76:722-724.
9. Hosseinzadeh H, Karimi G, Niapoor M. Antidepressant effects of
Crocus sativus stigma extracts and its constituents, crocin and safranal, in mice. J Med Plants 2004; 3:48-58.
10. Hosseinzadeh H, Sadeghnia HR, Ghaeni FA, Motamedshariaty VS, Mohajeri SA. Effects of saffron (
Crocus sativus L.) and its active constituent, crocin, on recognition and spatial memory after chronic cerebral hypoperfusion in rats. Phytother Res 2012; 26:381-386.
11. Hosseinzadeh H, Ziaei T. Effects of
Crocus sativus stigma extract and its constituents, crocin and safranal, on intact memory and scopolamine-induced learning deficits in rats performing the Morris water maze task. J Med Plants 2006; 5:40-50.
12. Razavi M, Hosseinzadeh H, Abnous K, Motamedshariaty V, Imenshahidi M. Crocin restores hypotensive effect of subchronic administration of diazinon in rats. Iran J Basic Med Sci 2013; 16:64-72.
13. Hariri A, Moallem S, Mahmoudi M, Hosseinzadeh H. The effect of crocin and safranal, constituents of saffron, against subacute effect of diazinon on hematological and genotoxicity indices in rats. Phytomedicine 2011; 18
14. Mehri S, Abnous K, Mousavi S, Motamed Shariaty V, Hosseinzadeh H. Neuroprotective effect of crocin on acrylamide-induced cytotoxicity in PC12 cells. Cell Mol Neurobiol 2012; 32:227-235.
15. Boskabady MH, Shafei MN, Shakiba A, Sang Sefidi H. Effect of aqueous-ethanol extract from Crocus sativus (saffron) on guinea-pig isolated heart. Phytother Res 2008; 22:330-334.
16. Fatehi M, Rashidabady T, Hassanabad ZF. Effects of petals extracts of saffron on rat blood pressure and on responses induced by electrical field stimulation in the rat isolated vas deferens and guinea–pigileum. J Ethnopharmacol 2003; 84:199–203.
17. Imenshahidi M, Hosseinzadeh H, Javadpour Y. Hypotensive effect of aqueous saffron extract (
Crocus sativus L.) and its constituents, safranal and crocin, in normotensive and hypertensive rats. Phytother Res 2010; 24:990–994.
18. Hadizadeh F, Mohajeri S, Seifi M. Extraction and purification of crocin from saffron stigmas employing a simple and efficient crystallization method. Pak J Biol Sci 2010; 13:691-698.
19. Lorenz JN. A practical guide to evaluating cardiovascular, renal, and pulmonary function in mice. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 2002; 282:R1565-1582.
20. Boskabadi MH, Aslani MR. Relaxant effect of
crocus sativus (saffron) on guinea pig tracheal chains and its possible mechanisms. J Pharm Pharmacol 2006; 58:1385-1390.
Imenshahidi et al Effect of crocin chronic administration on blood pressure
Iran J Basic Med Sci, Vol. 17, No. 1, Jan 2014 13
21. He S, Qian Z, Tang F. Effect of crocin on intracellular calcium concentration in cultured bovine aortic smooth muscle cells. Acta Pharm Sin 2004; 39:778-781.
22. Williams B, Liu C, Deyoung L, Brock G, Sims S.Regulation of intracellular Ca2+ release in corpus cavernosum smooth muscle: synergism between nitric oxide and cGMP. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 2005; 288:C650–C658.
23. Lyer A, Chan V, Brown L. The DOCA-Salt hypertensive rat as a model of cardiovascular oxidative and inflammatory stress. Curr Cardiol Rev 2010; 6:291-297.
24. Fatehi-Hassanabad Z, Fatehi M, Imen Shahidi M. Endothelial dysfunction in aortic rings and mesenteric beds isolated from deoxycorticosterone acetate hypertensive rats: possible involvement of protein kinase C. Eur J Pharmacol 2004; 494:199-204.
25. Iwazu Y, Muto S, Fujisawa G, Nakazawa E, Okada K, Ishibashi S,
et al. Spironolactone suppresses peritubular capillary loss and prevents deoxycorticosterone acetate/salt-induced tubulointerstitial fibrosis. Hypertension 2008; 51:749-754.
26. Tang FT, Qian ZY, Liu PQ, Zheng SG, He SY, Bao LP,
et al. Crocetin improves endothelium-dependent relaxation of thoracic aorta in hypercholesterolemic rabbit by increasing eNOS activity. Biochem Pharmacol 2006; 72:558-565.
27. Cheng S, Suzuki K, Sadee W, Harding B. Effects of spironolactone, canrenone and canrenoate-K on cytochrome P450, and 11beta- and 18-hydroxylation in bovine and human adrenal cortical mitochondria. Endocrinology 1974; 99:1097-1106.
28. Mousavi SZ, Bathaie SZ. Historical uses of saffron: Identifying potential new avenues for modern Research. Avicenna J Phytomed 2011; 1:57-66.