1. Kallis YN, Alison MR, Forbes SJ. Bone marrow stem cells and liver disease. Gut. 2007; 56:716-724.
2. Oertel M, Shafritz DA. Stem cells, cell transplantation and liver repopulation. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2008; 1782:61-74.
3. Cantz T, Manns MP, Ott M. Stem cells in liver regeneration and therapy. Cell Tissue Res. 2008; 331:271-282.
4. Seki T, Yokoyama Y, Nagasaki H, Kokuryo T, Nagino M. Adipose tissue-derived mesenchymal stem cell transplantation promotes hepatic regeneration after hepaticischemia-reperfusion and subsequent hepatectomy in rats. J Surg Res. 2012; 178:63-70.
5. Almeida-Porada G, Zanjani ED, Porada CD. Bone marrow stem cells and liver regeneration. Exp Hematol. 2010; 38:574-580.
6. Fürst G, Schulte am Esch J, Poll LW, Hosch SB, Fritz LB, Klein M,
. Portal vein embolization and autologous CD133+ bone marrow stem cells for liver regeneration: initial experience. Radiology. 2007; 243:171-179.
7. Kanazawa H, Fujimoto Y, Teratani T, Iwasaki J, Kasahara N, Negishi K,
. Bone marrow-derived
Nikoozad et al Liver function and hepatic gene expression
Iran J Basic Med Sci, Vol. 17, No. 1, Jan 2014
mesenchymal stem cells ameliorate hepatic ischemia reperfusion injury in a rat model. PLoS One. 2011; 6:e19195.
8. Dai LJ, Li HY, Guan LX, Ritchie G, Zhou JX. The therapeutic potential of bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cells on hepatic cirrhosis. Stem Cell Res. 2009; 2:16-25.
9. Cho KA, Ju SY, Cho SJ, Jung YJ, Woo SY, Seoh JY,
. Mesenchymal stem cells showed the highest potential for the regeneration of injured liver tissue compared with other subpopulations of the bone marrow. Cell Biol Int. 2009; 33:772-777.
10. Qihao Z, Xigu C, Guanghui C, Weiwei Z. Spheroid formation and differentiation into hepatocyte-like cells of rat mesenchymal stem cell induced by co-culture with liver cells. DNA Cell Biol. 2007; 26:497-503.
11. Mohsin S, Shams S, Ali Nasir G, Khan M, Javaid Awan S, Khan SN,
. Enhanced hepatic differentiation of mesenchymal stem cells after pretreatment with injured liver tissue. Differentiation. 2011; 81:42-48.
12. Azizi SA, Stokes D, Augelli BJ, DiGirolamo C, Prockop DJ. Engraftment and migration of human bone marrow stromal cells implanted in the brains of albino rats--similarities to astrocyte grafts. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1998; 95:3908-3913.
13. Davis JM. Basic cell culture. New York, NY: Oxford University Press; 2002.
14. Dutta A, Bandyopadhyay S, Mandal C, Chatterjee M. Development of a modified MTT assay for screening antimonial resistantfield isolates of Indian visceral leishmaniasis. Parasitol Int. 2005; 54:119-122.
15. Xie C, Zheng YB, Zhu HP, Peng L, Gao ZL. Human bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells are resistant to HBV infection during differentiation into hepatocytes
in vivo and in vitro
. Cell Biol Int. 2009; 33:493-500.
16. Taghi GM, Ghasem Kashani Maryam H, Taghi L, Leili H, Leyla M. Characterization of
cultured bone marrow and adipose tissue-derived mesenchymal stem cells and their ability to express neurotrophic factors. Cell Biol Int. 2012; 36:1239-1249.
17. Stöcker E, Wullstein HK, Bräu G. [Capacity of regeneration in liver epithelia of juvenile, repeated partially hepatectomized rats. Autoradiographic studies after continous infusion of 3H-thymidine (author's transl)]. Virchows Arch B Cell Pathol. 1973; 14:93-103.
18. Dalakas E, Newsome PN, Harrison DJ, Plevris JN. Hematopoietic stem cell trafficking in liver injury. FASEB J. 2005; 19:1225-1231.
19. Miyazaki M, Akiyama I, Sakaguchi M, Nakashima E, Okada M, Kataoka K,
. Improved conditions to induce hepatocytes from rat bone marrow cells in culture. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2002; 298:24-30.
20. Nakamura T, Nishizawa T, Hagiya M, Seki T, Shimonishi M, Sugimura A,
. Molecular cloning and expression of human hepatocyte growth factor. Nature. 1989; 342:440-443.
21. Nakamura T, Teramoto H, Ichihara A. Purification and characterization of a growth factor from rat platelets for mature parenchymal hepatocytes in primary cultures. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 1986; 83: 6489-6493.
22. Gohda E, Tsubouchi H, Nakayama H, Hirono S, Sakiyama O, Takahashi K,
. Purification and partial characterization of hepatocyte growth factor from plasma of a patient with fulminant hepatic failure. J Clin Invest. 1988; 81:414-419.
23. Lee KD, Kuo TK, Whang-Peng J, Chung YF, Lin CT, Chou SH,
et al. In vitro
hepatic differentiation of human mesenchymal stem cells. Hepatology. 2004; 40:1275-1284.
24. Baksh D, Song L, Tuan RS. Adult mesenchymal stem cells: characterization, differentiation, and application in cell and gene therapy. J Cell Mol Med. 2004; 8:301-316.
25. Sethe S, Scutt A, Stolzing A. Aging of mesenchymal stem cells. Ageing Res Rev. 2006; 5:91-116.
26. Pountos I, Corscadden D, Emery P, Giannoudis PV. Mesenchymal stem cell tissue engineering: Techniques for isolation, expansion and application. Injury. 2007; 38:S23-33.
27. Meirelles Lda S, Fontes AM, Covas DT, Caplan AI. Mechanisms involved in the therapeutic properties of mesenchymal stem cells. Cytokine Growth Factor Rev. 2009; 20:419-427.
28. Baddoo M, Hill K, Wilkinson R, Gaupp D, Hughes C, Kopen GC,
. Characterization of mesenchymal stem cells isolated from murine bone marrow by negative selection. J Cell Biochem. 2003; 89:1235-1249.
29. Chen Y, Shao JZ, Xiang LX, Dong XJ, Zhang GR. Mesenchymal stem cells: A promising candidate in regenerative medicine. Int J Biochem Cell Biol. 2008; 40:815-820.
30. Dai LJ, Li HY, Guan LX, Ritchie G, Zhou JX. The therapeutic potential of bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cells on hepatic cirrhosis. Stem Cell Res. 2009; 2:16-25.
31. Luk JM, Wang PP, Lee CK, Wang JH, Fan ST. Hepatic potential of bone marrow stromal cells: Development of
co-culture and intra-portal transplantation models. J Immunol Methods. 2005; 305:39-47.
32. Wang YJ, Liu HL, Guo HT, Wen HW, Liu J. Primary hepatocyte culture in collagen gel mixture and collagen sandwich. World J Gastroenterol. 2004; 10:699-702.
33. Zhao R, Duncan SA. Embryonic development of the liver. Hepatology. 2005; 41: 956-967.
34. Shiojiri N, Lemire JM, Fausto N. Cell lineages and oval cell progenitors in rat liver development Cancer Res. 1991; 51:2611-2620.
35. Jakubowski A, Ambrose C, Parr M, Lincecum JM, Wang MZ, Zheng TS,
. TWEAK induces liver progenitor cell proliferation. J Clin Invest. 2005; 115:2330-2340.
36. Gordon GJ, Coleman WB, Hixson DC, Grisham JW. Liver regeneration in rats with retrosin-induced hepatocellular injury proceeds through a novel cellular response. Am J Pathol. 2000; 156:607-619.
37. Mall FP. A study of the structural unit of the liver. Am J Anat. 1906; 5:227-308.
38. Rothenberg ME, Cali JJ, Sobol M, Briggs MW, Upton T. Rat Hepatocyte Culture Physiology Shows Enhanced Cytochrome P450 Activity on a Synthetic Extracellular Matrix.
toxicology. 2008; 20:18-20.
39. Lysy PA, Campard D, Smets F, Najimi M, Sokal EM. Stem cells for liver tissue repair: current knowledge and perspectives. World J Gastroenterol. 2008; 14: 864-875.
40. Fausto N. Liver regeneration and repair: hepatocytes, progenitor cells, and stem cells. Hepatology. 2004; 39: 1477-1487.
41. Serralta A, Donato MT, Martinez A, Pareja E, Orbis F, Castell JV,