1. Rachner TD, Khosla S, Hofbauer LC.Osteoporosis: now and the future. Lancet 2011; 377:1276-1287.
2. Lewiecki EM. New targets for intervention in the treatment of postmenopausal osteoporosis. Nat Rev Rheumatol 2011;7:631-638.
3. Karsenty G, Yadav VK. Regulation of bone mass by serotonin: molecular biology and therapeutic implications. Annu Rev Med 2011; 62:323-331.
4. Inose H, Zhou B, Yadav VK, Guo XE, Karsenty G, Ducy P. Efficacy of serotonin inhibition in mouse models of bone loss. J Bone Miner Res 2011;26:2002-2011.
5. Chabbi-Achengli Y, Coudert AE, Callebert J, Geoffroy V, Côté F, Collet C,
et al. Decreased osteoclastogenesis in serotonin-deficient mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2012; 109:2567-2572.
6. Mödder UI, Achenbach SJ, Amin S, Riggs BL, Melton LJ 3rd, Khosla S. Relation of serum serotonin levels to bone density and structural parameters in women. J Bone Miner Res 2010;25:415-422.
7. Reyes ML, Hernández M, Holmgren LJ, Sanhueza E, Escobar RG. High-frequency, low-intensity vibrations increase bone mass and muscle strength in upper limbs, improving autonomy in disabled children. J Bone Miner Res 2011; 26:1759-1766.
8. Tezval M, Biblis M, Sehmisch S, Schmelz U, Kolios L, Rack T,
et al. Improvement of femoral bone quality after low-magnitude, high-frequency mechanical stimulation in the ovariectomized rat as an osteopenia model. Calcif Tissue Int 2011; 88:33-40.
9. Sehmisch S, Galal R, Kolios L, Tezval M, Dullin C, Zimmer S,
et al. Effects of low-magnitude, high-frequency mechanical stimulation in the rat osteopenia model. Osteoporos Int 2009; 20:1999-2008.
10. Lau E, Al-Dujaili S, Guenther A, Liu D, Wang L, You L. Effect of low-magnitude, high-frequency vibration on osteocytes in the regulation of osteoclasts. Bone 2010; 46:1508-1515.
11. Wu SH, Zhong ZM, Chen JT. Low-magnitude high-frequency vibration inhibits RANKL-induced osteoclast differentiation of RAW264.7 cells. Int J Med Sci 2012; 9:801-807.
12. Iwamoto J, Sato Y, Takeda T, Matsumoto H. Hip fracture protection by alendronate treatment in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis: a review of the literature. Clin Interv Aging 2008; 3:483-489.
13. Institute of Laboratory Animal Resources (U.S.). Guide for the care and use of laboratory animals. 7th ed. Washington, D.C.: National Academy Press; 1996.p.125.
14. Zhao X, Wu ZX, Zhang Y, Gao MX, Yan YB, Cao PC,
et al. Locally administrated perindopril improves healing in an ovariectomized rat tibial osteotomy model. PLoS One 2012; 7:e33228.
15. Hu M, Cheng J, Qin YX. Dynamic hydraulic flow stimulation on mitigation of trabecular bone loss in a rat functional disuse model. Bone 2012; 51:819-825.
16. Chen B, Li Y, Xie D, Yang X. Low-magnitude high-frequency loading via whole body vibration enhancesbone-implant osseointegration in ovariectomized rats. J Orthop Res 2012; 30:733-739.
17. Kim IS, Song YM, Lee B, Hwang SJ. Human mesenchymal stromal cells are mechanosensitive to vibration stimuli. J Dent Res 2012; 91:1135-1140.
18. Shi HF, Cheung WH, Qin L, Leung AH, Leung KS. Low-magnitude high-frequency vibration treatment augments fracture healing in ovariectomy-induced osteoporotic bone. Bone 2010; 46:1299-1305.
19. Chen BL, Xie DH, Zheng ZM, Lu W, Ning CY, Li YQ,
et al. Comparison of the effects of alendronate
WBV effect circulating serotonin in OVX rat Wei et al
Iran J Basic Med Sci, Vol. 17, No. 1, Jan 2014 68
sodium and calcitonin on bone-prosthesis osseointegration in osteoporotic rats. Osteoporos Int 2011; 22:265-270.
20. Mohamad S, Shuid AN, Mohamed N, Fadzilah FM, Mokhtar SA, Abdullah S,
et al. The effects of alpha-tocopherol supplementation on fracture healing in a postmenopausal osteoporotic rat model. Clinics (Sao Paulo) 2012; 67:1077-1085.
21. Rubin C, Recker R, Cullen D, Ryaby J, McCabe J, McLeod K. Prevention of postmenopausal bone loss by a low-magnitude, high-frequency mechanical stimuli: a clinical trial assessing compliance, efficacy, and safety. J Bone Miner Res 2004; 19:343-351.
22. Schwab P, Klein RF. Nonpharmacological approaches to improve bone health and reduce osteoporosis. Curr Opin Rheumatol 2008; 20:213-217.
23. Tang DZ, Hou W, Zhou Q, Zhang M, Holz J, Sheu TJ,
et al. Osthole stimulates osteoblast differentiation and bone formation by activation of beta-catenin-BMP signaling. J Bone Miner Res 2010; 25:1234-1245.
24. Luu YK, Capilla E, Rosen CJ, Gilsanz V, Pessin JE, Judex S,
et al. Mechanical stimulation of mesenchymal stem cell proliferation and differentiation promotes osteogenesis while preventing dietary-induced obesity. J Bone Miner Res 2009; 24:50-61.
25. Ang ES, Pavlos NJ, Chim SM, Feng HT, Scaife RM, Steer JH,
et al. Paclitaxel inhibits osteoclast formation and bone resorption via influencing mitotic cell cycle arrest and RANKL-induced activation of NF-κB and ERK. J Cell Biochem 2012; 113:946-955.
26. Li C, Yang Z, Li Z, Ma Y, Zhang L, Zheng C,
et al. Maslinic acid suppresses osteoclastogenesis and prevents ovariectomy-induced bone loss by regulating RANKL-mediated NF-κB and MAPK signaling pathways. J Bone Miner Res 2011; 26:644-656.
27. Eghbali-Fatourechi G, Khosla S, Sanyal A, Boyle WJ, Lacey DL, Riggs BL. Role of RANK ligand in mediating increased bone resorption in early
postmenopausal women. J Clin Invest 2003; 111:1221-1230.
28. Shevde NK, Bendixen AC, Dienger KM, Pike JW. Estrogens suppress RANK ligand-induced osteoclast differentiation via a stromal cell independent mechanism involving c-Jun repression. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2000; 97:7829-7834.
29. Josse R, Khan A, Ngui D, Shapiro M. Denosumab, a new pharmacotherapy option for postmenopausal osteoporosis. Curr Med Res Opin 2013; 29:205-216.
30. Liu Q, Yang Q, Sun W, Vogel P, Heydorn W, Yu XQ,
et al. Discovery and characterization of novel tryptophan hydroxylase inhibitors that selectively inhibit serotonin synthesis in the gastrointestinal tract. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 2008; 325:47-55.
31. Yadav VK, Balaji S, Suresh PS, Liu XS, Lu X, Li Z
, et al. Pharmacological inhibition of gut-derived serotonin synthesis is a potential bone anabolic treatment for osteoporosis. Nat Med 2010; 16:308-312.
32. Cui Y, Niziolek PJ, MacDonald BT, Zylstra CR, Alenina N, Robinson DR,
et al. Lrp5 functions in bone to regulate bone mass. Nat Med 2011; 17:684-691.
33. Li M, Zhang ZL, Liao EY, Chen DC, Liu J, Tao TZ,
et al. Effect of low-dose alendronate treatment on bone mineral density and bone turnover markers in Chinese postmenopausal women with osteopenia and osteoporosis. Menopause 2013; 20:72-78.
34. Agarwal S, Agarwal S, Gupta P, Agarwal PK, Agarwal G, Bansal A. Risk of atypical femoral fracture with long-term use of alendronate (bisphosphonates) : a systemic review of literature. Acta Orthop Belg 2010; 76:567-571.
35. Zafeiris CP, Stathopoulos IP, Kourkoumelis G, Gkikas E, Lyritis GP. Simultaneous bilateral atypical femoral fractures after alendronate therapy. J Musculoskelet Neuronal Interact 2012; 12:262-264.
36. Eslami B, Zhou S, Van Eekeren I, LeBoff MS, Glowacki J. Reduced osteoclastogenesis and RANKL expression in marrow from women taking alendronate. Calcif Tissue Int 2011; 88:272-280.