1. Chousterman BG, Swirski FK, Weber GF. Cytokine storm and sepsis disease pathogenesis. Semin Immunopathol 2017; 39:517-528.
2. Karki R, Kanneganti TD. The ‘cytokine storm’: Molecular mechanisms and therapeutic prospects. Trends Immunol 2021; 42:681-705.
3. Yang R, Yu Y. Glucocorticoids are double-edged sword in the treatment of COVID-19 and cancers. Int J Biol Sci 2021; 17:1530-1537.
4. Park SB, Park JS, Jung WH, Kim HY, Kwak HJ, Ahn JH, et al. Anti-inflammatory effect of a selective 11beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 1 inhibitor via the stimulation of heme oxygenase-1 in LPS-activated mice and J774.1 murine macrophages. J Pharmacol Sci 2016; 131:241-250.
5. Itoi S, Terao M, Murota H, Katayama I. 11beta-Hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase 1 contributes to the pro-inflammatory response of keratinocytes. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 2013; 440:265-270.
6. Wang W, Chen ZJ, Myatt L, Sun K. 11beta-HSD1 in human fetal membranes as a potential therapeutic target for preterm birth. Endocr Rev 2018; 39:241-260.
7. Chapman K, Holmes M, Seckl J. 11beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenases: Intracellular gate-keepers of tissue glucocorticoid action. Physiol Rev 2013; 93:1139-1206.
8. Randall MJ, Kostin SF, Burgess EJ, Hoyt LR, Ather JL, Lundblad LK, et al. Anti-inflammatory effects of levalbuterol-induced 11beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 1 activity in airway epithelial cells. Front Endocrinol (Lausanne) 2014; 5:236.
9. Choi KJ, Na YJ, Park SB, Jung WH, Sung HR, Kim KY. Carbenoxolone prevents chemical eye ischemia-reperfusion-induced cell death via 11beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 1 inhibition. Pharmacol Res 2017; 123:62-72.
10. DiNicolantonio JJ, Mehta V, Onkaramurthy N, O’Keefe JH. Fructose-induced inflammation and increased cortisol: A new mechanism for how sugar induces visceral adiposity. Prog Cardiovasc Dis 2018; 61:3-9.
11. Chapman KE, Coutinho AE, Zhang Z, Kipari T, Savill JS, Seckl JR. Changing glucocorticoid action: 11beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 1 in acute and chronic inflammation. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 2013; 137:82-92.
12. Wu H, Zhu Q, Li X, He Y, Wang Y, Lu Y, et al. The upregulation of 11beta-HSD1 in ovarian granulosa cells by cortisol and interleukin-1beta in polycystic ovary syndrome. Gynecol Endocrinol 2020; 36:668-672.
13. Wei B, Zhu Z, Xiang M, Song L, Guo W, Lin H, et al. Corticosterone suppresses IL-1beta-induced mPGE2 expression through regulation of the 11beta-HSD1 bioactivity of synovial fibroblasts in vitro. Exp Ther Med 2017; 13:2161-2168.
14. Koh EH, Kim AR, Kim H, Kim JH, Park HS, Ko MS, et al. 11beta-HSD1 reduces metabolic efficacy and adiponectin synthesis in hypertrophic adipocytes. J Endocrinol 2015; 225:147-158.
15. Wang L, Liu J, Zhang A, Cheng P, Zhang X, Lv S, et al. BVT.2733, a selective 11beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 1 inhibitor, attenuates obesity and inflammation in diet-induced obese mice. PLoS One 2012; 7:e40056.
16. Wu L, Qi H, Zhong Y, Lv Sh, Yu J, Liu J, et al. 11β-Hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 1 selective inhibitor BVT.2733 protects osteoblasts against endogenous glucocorticoid induced dysfunction. Endocrine 2013; 60:1047-1058.
17. Martin CS, Cooper MS, Hardy RS. Endogenous Glucocorticoid Metabolism in Bone: Friend or Foe. Front Endocrinol (Lausanne) 2021; 12:733611.
18. White PC. Alterations of Cortisol Metabolism in Human Disorders. Horm Res Paediatr 2018; 89:320-330.
19. Li X, Hu S, Zhu Q, Yao G, Yao J, Li J, et al. Addressing the role of 11beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 1 in the development of polycystic ovary syndrome and the putative therapeutic effects of its selective inhibition in a preclinical model. Metabolism 2021; 119:154749.
20. Patoli D, Mignotte F, Deckert V, Dusuel A, Dumont A, Rieu A, et al. Inhibition of mitophagy drives macrophage activation and antibacterial defense during sepsis. J Clin Invest 2020; 130:5858-5874.
21. Zorov DB, Juhaszova M, Sollott SJ. Mitochondrial reactive oxygen species (ROS) and ROS-induced ROS release. Physiol Rev 2014; 94:909-950.
22. Vandewalle J, Luypaert A, De Bosscher K, Libert C. Therapeutic mechanisms of glucocorticoids. Trends Endocrinol Metab 2018; 29:42-54.
23. Kyriakis JM, Avruch J. Mammalian MAPK signal transduction pathways activated by stress and inflammation: A 10-year update. Physiol Rev 2012; 92:689-737.
24. Yu H, Lin L, Zhang Z, Zhang H, Hu H. Targeting NF-kappaB pathway for the therapy of diseases: Mechanism and clinical study. Signal Transduct Target Ther 2020; 5:209.
25. Chanput W, Mes J, Vreeburg RA, Savelkoul HF, Wichers HJ. Transcription profiles of LPS-stimulated THP-1 monocytes and macrophages: A tool to study inflammation modulating effects of food-derived compounds. Food Funct 2010; 1:254-261.
26. Kunnathully V, Gomez-Lira M, Bassi G, Poli F, Zoratti E, La Verde V, et al. CD14(++) CD16(-) monocytes are the main source of 11beta-HSD type 1 after IL-4 stimulation. Int Immunopharmacol 2017; 43:156-163.
27. Thieringer R, Le Grand CB, Carbin L, Cai TQ, Wong B, Wright SD, et al. 11 Beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 1 is induced in human monocytes upon differentiation to macrophages. J Immunol 2001; 167:30-35.
28. Coutinho AE, Gray M, Brownstein DG, Salter DM, Sawatzky DA, Clay S, et al. 11beta-Hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase type 1, but not type 2, deficiency worsens acute inflammation and experimental arthritis in mice. Endocrinology 2012; 153:234-240.
29. Ishii-Yonemoto T, Masuzaki H, Yasue S, Okada S, Kozuka C, Tanaka T, et al. Glucocorticoid reamplification within cells intensifies NF-kappaB and MAPK signaling and reinforces inflammation in activated preadipocytes. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 2010; 298:E930-940.
30. Chantong B KD, Nashev LG, Balazs Z, Odermatt A. Mineralocorticoid and glucocorticoid receptors differentially regulate NF-kappaB activity and pro-inflammatory cytokine production in murine BV-2 microglial cells. J Neuroinflam 2012;9:260.
31. Hu M, Han T, Pan Q, Ni D, Gao F, Wang L, et al. The GR-gp78 Pathway is involved in Hepatic Lipid Accumulation Induced by Overexpression of 11beta-HSD1. Int J Biol Sci 2022; 18:3107-3121.
32. Lelubre C, Vincent JL. Mechanisms and treatment of organ failure in sepsis. Nat Rev Nephrol 2018; 14:417-427.