1. Lappin JM, Darke S, Farrell M. Methamphetamine use and future risk for Parkinson’s disease: evidence and clinical implications. Drug Alcohol Depend 2018;187:134-140.
2. Logan BK. Methamphetamine effects on human performance and behavior. Forensic Sci Rev 2002;14:133-151.
3. Newton TF, De La Garza R, Kalechstein AD, Tziortzis D, Jacobsen CA. Theories of addiction: methamphetamine users ‘explanations for continuing drug use and relapse. Am J Addict 2009;18:294-300.
4. Cruickshank CC, Dyer KR. A review of the clinical pharmacology of methamphetamine. Addiction 2009;104: 1085-1099.
5. Barati M, Ahmadpanah M, Soltanian AR. Prevalence and factors associated with methamphetamine use among adult substance abusers. J Res Health Sci 2014;14:221-226.
6. Karila L, Petit A, Cottencin O, Reynaud M. Methamphetamine dependence: Consequences and complications. Press Med 2010;39:1246-1253.
7. Hobkirk AL, Watt MH, Myers B, Skinner D, Meade CS. A qualitative study of methamphetamine initiation in Cape Town, South Africa. Int J Drug Policy 2015;30: 99-106.
8. Moratalla R, Khairnar A, Simola N, Granado N, Garcia-Montes JR, Porceddu PF, Tizabi Y, Costa G, Morelli M. Amphetamine-related drugs neurotoxicity in humans and in experimental animals: main mechanisms. Prog Neurobiol 2017;155:149-170.
9. Volkow ND, Fowler JS, Wang GJ, Shumay E, Telang F, Thanos PK, Alexoff D. Distribution and pharmacokinetics of methamphetamine in the human body: Clinical implications. PLoS One 2010;5:e15269.
10. Taslimi Z, Komaki A, Haghparast A, Sarihi A. Effects of acute and chronic restraint stress on reinstatement of extinguished methamphetamine-induced conditioned place preference in rats. Basic Clin Neurosci 2018;9:157-166.
11. Johnsen SG. Testicular biopsy score count- a method for registration of spermatogenesis in human testes: normal values and results in 335 hypogonadal males. Hormones 1970;1:2-25.
12. Kajihara T, Okagaki R, Ishihara O. LPS-induced transient testicular dysfunction accompanied by apoptosis of testicular germ cells in mice. Med Mol Morphol 2006;39:203-208.
13. Azizollahi S, Babaei H, Derakhshanfar A, Oloumi MM. Effects of co-administration of dopamine and vitamin C on ischemia-reperfusion injury after experimental testicular torsion-detorsion in rats. Andrologia 2011;43:100-105.
14. Halpin LE, Collins SA, Yamamoto BK. Neurotoxicity of methamphetamine and 3,4 methylenedioxymethamphetamine. Life Sci 2014;97:37-44.
15. Thompson MR, Callaghan PD, Hunt GE, Cornish JL, McGregor IS. A role for oxytocin and 5- HT (1A) receptors in the prosocial effects of 3,4 methylenedioxymethamphetamine (“ecstasy”). Neurosci 2007;146:509-514.
16. Movassaghi S, Yousefi Oudarji A, Sharifi ZN. Effect of pentoxifylline on apoptosis of kidney’s cells following acute methamphetamine administration in male Wistar rats. Galen M J 2016; 5:131-138.
17. Friend DM, Keefe KA. Glial reactivity in resistance to methamphetamine-induced neurotoxicity. J Neurochem 2013;125:566-574.
18. Lafuente JV, Sharma A, Muresanu DF, Ozkizilcik A, Tian ZR, Patnaik R, Sharma HS. Repeated forced swim exacerbates methamphetamine-induced neurotoxicity: neuroprotective effects of nanowired delivery of 5-ht3 receptor antagonist ondansetron. Mol Neurobiol 2017;55:322-33.4
19. Zhang Z, Gong Q, Feng X, Zhang D, Quan L. Astrocytic clasmatodendrosis in the cerebral cortex of methamphetamine Abusers. Forensic Sci Res 2017;2:139-144.
20. Sharma HS, Kiyatkin EA. Rapid morphological brain abnormalities during acute methamphetamine intoxication in the rat. an experimental study using light and electron microscopy. J Chem Neuroanat 2009;37:18-32.
21. O’Callaghan JP, Miller DB. Neurotoxicity profiles of substituted amphetamines in the C57BL/6J mouse. J Pharmacol Exp Therap 1994;270:741-751.
22. Silver J, Miller JH. Regeneration beyond the glial scar. Nat Rev Neurosci 2004;5:146-156.
23. Kulik T, Kusano Y, Aronhime S, Sandler AL, Winn HR. Regulation of cerebral vasculature in normal and ischemic brain. Neuropharmacol 2008;55:281-288.
24. Dietrich JB. Alteration of blood-brain barrier function by methamphetamine and cocaine. Cell Tissue Res 2009;336:385–392.
25. Paulin D, Jakob H, Jacob F, Weber K, Osborn M. In vitro differentiation of mouse teratocarcinoma cells monitored by intermediate filament expression. Differentiation 1982;22: 90-99
26. Boyne LJ, Fischer I, Shea TB. Role of vimentin in early stages of neuritogenesis in cultured hippocampal neurons. Int J Dev Neurosci 1996;14:739-748.
27. Izmiryan A, Franco CA, Paulin D, Li Z, Xue Z. Synemin isoforms during mouse development: multiplicity of partners in vascular and neuronal systems. Exp Cell Res 2009;315:769-783.
28. Calvo JL, Carbonell AL Boya J. Co-expression of glial fibrillary acidic protein and vimentin in reactive astrocytes following brain injury in rats. Brain Res 1991;566:333-336.
29. Graeber MB, Kreutzberg GW. Delayed astrocyte reaction following facial nerve axotomy. J Neurocytol 1988;17:209-220.
30. Halliday GM, Stevens CH. Glia: initiators and progressors of pathology in Parkinson’s disease. Mov Disord 2011;26:6-17.
31. Proescholdt MG, Chakravarty S, Foster JA, Foti SB, Briley EM, Herkenham M. Intracerebroventricular but not intravenous interleukin-1β induces widespread vascular mediated leukocyte infiltration and immune signal mRNA expression followed by brain-wide glial activation. Neurosci 2002;112:731-749.
32. Stevens SL, Bao J, Hollis J, Lessov NS, Clark WM, Stenzel-Poore MP. The use of flow cytometry to evaluate temporal changes in inflammatory cells following focal cerebral ischemia in mice. Brain Res 2002;932:110-119.
33. Rothman RB, Baumann MH. Monoamine transporters and psychostimulant drugs. Eur J Pharmacol 2003;479:23-40.
34. Hansen JP. Ten keys to successful NCQA accreditation: a health plan perspective. J Healthc Qual 2002;24: 39-42.
35. Dawson TM, Dawson VL. Mitochondrial mechanisms of neuronal cell death: potential therapeutics. Annu Rev Pharmacol Toxicol 2017;57:437-454.
36. Beer SM, Taylor ER, Brown SE, Dahm CC, Costa NJ, Runswick MJ, Murphy MP. Glutaredoxin 2 catalyzes the reversible oxidation and glutathionylation of mitochondrial membrane thiol proteins: implications for mitochondrial redox regulation and anti-oxidant defense. J Biol Chem 2004;279:47939-47951.
37. Panenka WJ, Procyshyn RM, Lecomte T, MacEwan GW, Flynn SW, Honer WG, Barr AM. Methamphetamine use: a comprehensive review of molecular, preclinical and clinical findings. Drug Alcohol Depend 2013;129:167-179.
38. Ishigami A, Tokunaga I, Gotohda T, Kubo S. Immunohistochemical study of myoglobin and oxidative injury related markers in the kidney of methamphetamine abusers. Legal Med (Tokyo) 2003;5:42-48.
39. Tokunaga I, Kubo S, Ishigami A, Gotohda T, Kitamura O. Changes in renal function and oxidative damage in methamphetamine-treated rat. Legal Med 2006;8:16-21.
40. Ambruzs JM, Serrell PB, Rahim N, Larsen CP. Thrombotic microangiopathy and acute kidney injury associated with intravenous abuse of an oral extended-release formulation of oxymorphone hydrochloride: kidney biopsy findings and report of 3 cases. Am J Kidney Dis 2014;63:1022-1026.
41. Carrasco R, Salinas M, Rossel V. Rhabdomyolysis and acute renal failure after cocaine overdose: report of one case. Rev Med Chil 2011;139:480-483.
42. Islam MN, Jesmine K, Kong Sn Molh A, Hasnan J. Histopathological studies of cardiac lesions after long term administration of methamphetamine in high dosage: part II. Leg Med (Tokyo) Suppl 2009;1:S147–150.
43. Lord KC, Shenouda SK, McIlwain E, Charalampidis D, Lucchesi PA, Varner KJ. Oxidative stress contributes to methamphetamine-induced left ventricular dysfunction. Cardiovasc Res 2010;87:111-118.
44. Akhgari M, Mobaraki H, Etemadi-Aleagha A. Histopathological study of cardiac lesions in methamphetamine poisoning-related deaths. Daru 2017;25:5
45. Won S, Hong RA, Shohet RV, Seto TB, Parikh NI. Methamphetamine-associated cardiomyopathy. Clin Cardiol 2013;36:737-742.
46. Bruno VD, Duggan S, Capoun R, Ascione R. Methamphetamine-induced cardiomyopathy causing severe mitral valve regurgitation. Arch Med Sci 2014;10:630-631.
47. Yeo KK, Wijetunga M, Ito H, Efird JT, Tay K, Seto TB, Alimineti K, Kimata C, Schatz IJ. The association of methamphetamine use and cardiomyopathy in young patients. Am J Med 2007;120:165-171.
48. Paratz ED, Cunningham NJ, MacIsaac AI. The cardiac complications of methamphetamines. Heart Lung Circ 2016; 25:325-332.
49. Yamamoto Y, Yamamoto, Abiru H, Fukui Y, Shiota K. Effects of methamphetamine on rat embryos cultured in vitro. Biol Neonate 1995; 68:33-38.
50. Saberi A, Sepehri G, Safi Z, Razavi B, Jahandari F, Divsalar K, Salarkia E. Effects of methamphetamine on testes histopathology and spermatogenesis indices of adult male rats. Addict Health 2017;9:199-205.
51. Lin JF, Lin YH, Liao PC, Lin YC, Tsai TF, Chou KY, Chen HE, Tsai SC, Hwang TI. Induction of testicular damage by daily methamphetamine administration in rats. Chinese J Physiol 2014;57:19-30.
52. Nudmamud-Thanoi S, Tangsrisakda N, Thanoi S. Changes of androgen receptor expression in stages VII-VIII seminiferous tubules of rat testis after exposure to methamphetamine. Songklanakarin J Sci Technol 2016;38:275-279.
53. Kaewman P, Nudmamud-Thanoi S, Thanoi S. Gabaergic alterations in the rat testis after methamphetamine exposure. Int J Med Sci 2018;15:1349-1354
54. Yang L, Shen J, Chen J, Li W, Xie X. Reduced glycolysis contributed to inhibition of testis spermatogenesis in rats after chronic methamphetamine exposure. Med Sci Monit 2019;25:5453-5464.
55. Halpin L, Yamamoto BK. Peripheral ammonia as a mediator of methamphetamine neurotoxicity. J Neurosci 2012;32:13155-13163.
56. Wang Q, Wei LW, Xiao HQ, Xue Y, Du SH, Liu YG, Xie XL. Methamphetamine induces hepatotoxicity via inhibiting cell division, arresting cell cycle and activating apoptosis: In vivo and in vitro studies. Food Chem Toxicol 2017;105:61-72.
57. Kamijo Y, Soma K, Nishida M, Namera A, Ohwada T. Acute liver failure following intravenous methamphetamine. Vet Human Toxicol 2002;44: 216 –217.
58. Merchant K, Schammel C, Fulcher J. Acute methamphetamine-induced hepatic and pancreatic ischemia. Am J Forensic Med Pathol 2019; l40: 285-288.
59. da Silva D, Carmo H, Lynch A, Silva E. An insight into the hepatocellular death induced by amphetamines, individually and in combination: the involvement of necrosis and apoptosis. Arch Toxicol 2013;87:2165-2185.
60. da Silva DD, Silva E, Carmo H. Combination effects of amphetamines under hyperthermia – the role played by oxidative stress. J Appl Toxicol 2013;34:637-650.