1. Bailey CJ Metformin: historical overview. Diabetologia 2017; 60:1566-1576.
2. Glovaci D, Fan W, Wong ND. Epidemiology of diabetes mellitus and cardiovascular disease. Curr Cardiol Rep 2019; 21:21.
3. Flory J, Lipska K. Metformin in 2019. JAMA 2019; 321:1926-1927.
4. Lv Z, Guo Y. Metformin and its benefits for various diseases. Front Endocrinol (Lausanne) 2020; 11:1-10.
5. LaMoia TE, Shulman GI. Cellular and molecular mechanisms of metformin action. Endocr Rev 2021; 42:77-96.
6. Schernthaner G, Schernthaner GH. The right place for metformin today. Diabetes Res Clin Pract 2020; 159:107946.
7. Piskovatska V, Storey KB, Vaiserman AM, Lushchak O. The use of metformin to increase the human healthspan. Adv Exp Med Biol 2020; 1260:319-332.
8. Majithiya JB, Balaraman R. Metformin reduces blood pressure and restores endothelial function in aorta of streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. Life Sci 2006; 78:2615-2624.
9. Sung JY, Choi HC. Metformin-induced AMP-activated protein kinase activation regulates phenylephrine-mediated contraction of rat aorta. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 2012; 421:599-604.
10. Pyla R, Osman I, Pichavaram P, Hansen P, Segar L. Metformin exaggerates phenylephrine-induced AMPK phosphorylation independent of CaMKKβ and attenuates contractile response in endothelium-denuded rat aorta. Biochem Pharmacol 2014; 92:266-279.
11. Panth N, Paudel KR, Gong DS, Oak MH. Vascular Protection by Ethanol Extract of Morus alba Root Bark: Endothelium-dependent relaxation of rat aorta and decrease of smooth muscle cell migration and proliferation. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 2018; 7905763.
12. Nurullahoğlu-Atalık KE, Kutlu S, Solak H, Özen-Koca R. Cilostazol enhances atorvastatin-induced vasodilation of female rat aorta during aging. Physiol Int 2017; 104:226-234.
13. Sahinturk S, Demirel S, Isbil N, Ozyener F. Potassium channels contributes to apelin-induced vasodilation in rat thoracic aorta. Protein Pept Lett, 2022; 29:538-549.
14. Sahinturk S, Demirel S, Ozyener F, Isbil N. [Pyr1]apelin-13 relaxes the rat thoracic aorta via APJ, NO, AMPK, and potassium channels. Gen Physiol Biophys 2021; 40:427-434.
15. Sahinturk S, Demirel S, Ozyener F, Isbil, N. Vascular functional effect mechanisms of elabela in rat thoracic aorta. Ann Vasc Surg 2022; 84:381-397.
16. Demirel S, Sahinturk S, Isbil N, Ozyener F. Physiological role of K+ channels in irisin-induced vasodilation in rat thoracic aorta. Peptides 2022; 147:170685.
17. Sterne J. Du nouveau dans les antidiabétiques. La NN dimethylamine guanyl guanidine (N.N.D.G.). Maroc Med 1957; 36:1295–1296.
18. Deng M, Su D, Xu S, Little PJ, Feng X, Tang L, et al. Metformin and vascular diseases: A focused review on smooth muscle cell function. Front Pharmacol 2020; 11:1-10.
19. Hehir MP, Morrison JJ. Metformin and human uterine contractility. Endocrine 2012; 42: 761-763.
20. Kelany ME, Alqahtani S, Alkuriji A, Al-Omar S. Role of the antidiabetic drugs: Glibenclamide and metformin on the contractility of isolated rat uteri. Pak J Pharm Sci 2016; 29:51-57.
21. Vignozzi L, Filippi S, Comeglio P, Cellai I, Morelli A, Rastrelli G, et al. Metformin in vitro and in vivo increases adenosine signaling in rabbit corpora cavernosa. J Sex Med 2014; 11: 1694-1708.
22. Kacar E, Yardimci A, Ulker N, Sahinturk S, Zorlu G, Tan F, et al. Investigation of effects of metformin on rats’ urinary bladder contractions. Ann Med Res, 2022; 29:905–909.
23. Tan CS, Loh YC, Tew WY, Yam MF. Vasorelaxant effect of 3,5,4’-trihydroxy-trans-stilbene (resveratrol) and its underlying mechanism. Inflammopharmacology 2020; 28:869-875.
24. Lee JM, Peuler JD. Acute vasorelaxant effects of metformin and attenuation by stimulation of sympathetic agonist release. Life Sci 1999; 64:PL57-63.
25. Peuler JD, Miller JA, Bourghli M, Zammam HY, Soltis EE, Sowers JR. Disparate effects of antidiabetic drugs on arterial contraction. Metabolism 1997; 46:1199-1205.
26. Peuler JD, Lee JM, Smith JM. 4-Aminopyridine antagonizes the acute relaxant action of metformin on adrenergic contraction in the ventral tail artery of the rat. Life Sci 1999; 65: PL 287-293.
27. Almabrouk TA, Ewart MA, Salt IP, Kennedy S. Perivascular fat, AMP-activated protein kinase and vascular diseases. Br J Pharmacol 2014; 171:595-617.
28. Munzel T, Feil R, Mulsch A, Lohmann SM, Hofmann F, Walter U. Physiology and pathophysiology of vascular signaling controlled by guanosine 3’,5’-cyclic monophosphate-dependent protein kinase [corrected]. Circulation 2003; 108:2172-2183.
29. Félétou, M.; Huang, Y.; Vanhoutte, P.M. Endothelium-mediated control of vascular tone: COX-1 and COX-2 products. Br J Pharmacol 2011; 164:894-912.
30. Ford RJ, Teschke SR, Reid EB, Durham KK, Kroetsch JT, Rush JWE. AMP-activated protein kinase activator AICAR acutely lowers blood pressure and relaxes isolated resistance arteries of hypertensive rats. J Hypertens 2012; 30:725-733.
31. Schneider H, Schubert KM, Blodow S, Kreutz CP, Erdogmus S, Wiedenmann M, et al. AMPK dilates resistance arteries via activation of SERCA and BKCa channels in smooth muscle. Hypertension 2015; 66:108-116.
32. Goirand F, Solar M, Athea Y, Viollet B, Mateo P, Fortin D, et al. Activation of AMP kinase alpha1 subunit induces aortic vasorelaxation in mice. J Physiol 2007; 581:1163-1171.
33. Zhou G. Myers R, Li Y, Chen Y, Shen X, Fenyk-Melody J, et al. Role of AMP-activated protein kinase in mechanism of metformin action. J Clin Invest 2001; 108:1167-1174.
34. Kim SA, Choi HC. Metformin inhibits inflammatory response via AMPK-PTEN pathway in vascular smooth muscle cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 2012; 425:866-872.
35. Vigetti D, Clerici M, Deleonibus S, Karousou E, Viola M, Moretto P, et al. Hyaluronan synthesis is inhibited by adenosine monophosphate-activated protein kinase through the regulation of HAS2 activity in human aortic smooth muscle cells. J Biol Chem., 2011, 286:7917-7924.
36. Dessy C, Kim I, Sougnez CL, Morgan KG. A role for MAP kinase in differentiated smooth muscle contraction evoked by α-adrenoceptor stimulation. Am J Physiol 1998; 1275:1081-1086.
37. Roberts RE. Role of the extracellular signal-regulated kinase (ERK) signal transduction cascade in α2-adrenoceptor-mediated vasoconstriction in porcine palmar lateral vein. Br J Pharmacol 2001; 133:859-866.
38. Roberts RE. The role of Rho kinase and extracellular regulated kinase-mitogen-activated protein kinase in alpha2-adrenoceptor-mediated vasoconstriction in the porcine palmar lateral vein. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 2004; 311:742-747.
39. Perjés Á, Kilpiö T, Ulvila J, Magga J, Alakoski T, Szabó Z, et al. Characterization of apela, a novel endogenous ligand of apelin receptor, in the adult heart. Basic Res Cardiol 2016; 111:2.
40. Wang Y, Zhou H, Wu B, Zhou Q, Cui, D, Wang L. Protein kinase C isoforms distinctly regulate propofol-induced endothelium-dependent and endothelium-independent vasodilation. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol 2015; 66: 276-284.
41. Demirel S, Sahinturk S, Isbil N, Ozyener F. Irisin relaxes rat thoracic aorta through inhibiting signaling pathways implicating protein kinase C. Turk J Med Sci 2022; 52:514-521.
42. Tykocki NR, Boerman EM, Jackson WF. Smooth muscle ion channels and regulation of vascular tone in resistance arteries and arterioles. Comprehens Physiol 2017; 7: 485-581.
43. Jackson WF. Potassium Channels in Regulation of vascular smooth muscle contraction and growth. Adv Pharmacol 2018; 78:89–144.
44. Ahmad T, Shah AJ, Khan T, Roberts R. Mechanism underlying the vasodilation induced by diosmetin in porcine coronary artery. Eur J Pharmacol 2020; 884:173400.
45. Demirel S, Sahinturk S, Isbil N, Ozyener F. Irisin relaxes rat thoracic aorta: MEK1/2 signaling pathway, KV channels, SKCa channels, and BKCa channels are involved in irisin-induced vasodilation. Can J Physiol Pharmacol 2022; 100:379-385.
46. Mughal A, Sun C, O’Rourke ST. Activation of large conductance, calcium-activated potassium channels by nitric oxide mediates apelin-induced relaxation of isolated rat coronary arteries. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 2018; 366:265-273.
47. Bhalla RC, Toth KF, Tan E, Bhatty RA, Mathias E, Sharma RV. Vascular effects of metformin. Possible mechanisms for its antihypertensive action in the spontaneously hypertensive rat. Am J Hypertens 1996; 9:570-576.
48. Anabtawi A, Miles JM. Metformin: Nonglycemic effects and potential novel indications. Endocr Pract 2016; 22:999-1007.