1. Williams TI, Toups KL, Saggese DA, Kalli KR, Cliby WA, Muddiman DC. Epithelial ovarian cancer: Disease etiology, treatment, detection, and investigational gene, metabolite, and protein biomarkers. J Proteome Res 2007; 6:2936-2962.
2. Bray F, Ferlay J, Soerjomataram I, Siegel RL, Torre LA, Jemal A. Global cancer statistics 2018: GLOBOCAN estimates of incidence and mortality worldwide for 36 cancers in 185 countries. CA Cancer J Clin 2018; 68:394-424.
3. Xiang Y, Guo Z, Zhu P, Chen J, Huang Y. Traditional Chinese medicine as a cancer treatment: modern perspectives of ancient but advanced science. Cancer Med 2019; 8:1958-1975.
4. Albulescu M. Phytochemicals in Antitumor Herbs and Herbal Formulas. Phytochemicals-Isolation, Characterisation and Role in Human Health: IntechOpen; 2015.
5. Saeedifar AM, Mosayebi G, Ghazavi A, Bushehri RH, Ganji A. Macrophage polarization by phytotherapy in the tumor microenvironment. Phytother Res 2021; 35:3632-3648.
6. Cheon C. Synergistic effects of herbal medicines and anticancer drugs: A protocol for systematic review and meta-analysis. Medicine 2021; 100:1-4.
7. Rahmanian-Devin P, Baradaran Rahimi V, Jaafari MR, Golmohammadzadeh S, Sanei-Far Z, Askari VR. Noscapine, an emerging medication for different diseases: a mechanistic review. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 2021; 2021:1-16.
8. Ahmad A, Mishra RK, Vyawahare A, Kumar A, Rehman MU, Qamar W, et al. Thymoquinone (2-Isopropyl-5-methyl-1, 4-benzoquinone) as a chemopreventive/anticancer agent: Chemistry and biological effects. Saudi Pharm J 2019; 27:1113-1126.
9. Singh SK, Banerjee S, Acosta EP, Lillard JW, Singh R. Resveratrol induces cell cycle arrest and apoptosis with docetaxel in prostate cancer cells via a p53/p21WAF1/CIP1 and p27KIP1 pathway. Oncotarget 2017; 8:1-13.
10. Dai Z, Wang L, Wang X, Zhao B, Zhao W, Bhardwaj SS, et al. Oxymatrine induces cell cycle arrest and apoptosis and suppresses the invasion of human glioblastoma cells through the EGFR/PI3K/Akt/mTOR signaling pathway and STAT3. Oncol Rep 2018; 40:867-876.
11. Li Z, Veeraraghavan VP, Mohan SK, Bolla SR, Lakshmanan H, Kumaran S, et al. Apoptotic induction and anti-metastatic activity of eugenol encapsulated chitosan nanopolymer on rat glioma C6 cells via alleviating the MMP signaling pathway. J Photochem Photobiol B 2020; 203:1-11.
12. Messeha SS, Zarmouh NO, Asiri A, Soliman KF. Rosmarinic acid-induced apoptosis and cell cycle arrest in triple-negative breast cancer cells. Eur J Pharmacol 2020; 885:1-22.
13. Xiang L, He B, Liu Q, Hu D, Liao W, Li R, et al. Antitumor effects of curcumin on the proliferation, migration and apoptosis of human colorectal carcinoma HCT‑116 cells. Oncol Rep 2020; 44:1997-2008.
14. Parveen A, Subedi L, Kim HW, Khan Z, Zahra Z, Farooqi MQ, et al. Phytochemicals targeting VEGF and VEGF-related multifactors as anticancer therapy. J Clin Med 2019; 8:1-39.
15. Torres A, Vargas Y, Uribe D, Carrasco C, Torres C, Rocha R, et al. Pro-apoptotic and anti-angiogenic properties of the α/β-thujone fraction from Thuja occidentalis on glioblastoma cells. J Neurooncol 2016; 128:9-19.
16. Martin LT, Nachtigal MW, Selman T, Nguyen E, Salsman J, Dellaire G, et al. Bitter taste receptors are expressed in human epithelial ovarian and prostate cancers cells and noscapine stimulation impacts cell survival. Mol Cell Biochem 2019; 454:203-214.
17. Tian X, Liu M, Zhu Q, Tan J, Liu W, Wang Y, et al. Down-regulation of liver-intestine cadherin enhances noscapine-induced apoptosis in human colon cancer cells. Expert Rev Anticancer Ther 2017; 17:857-863.
18. Meher RK, Naik MR, Bastia B, Naik PK. Comparative evaluation of anti-angiogenic effects of noscapine derivatives. Bioinformation 2018; 14:1-5.
19. Altinoz MA, Topcu G, Hacimuftuoglu A, Ozpinar A, Ozpinar A, Hacker E, et al. Noscapine, a non-addictive opioid and microtubule-inhibitor in potential treatment of glioblastoma. Neurochem Res 2019; 44:1796-1806.
20. De Amicis F, Chimento A, Montalto FI, Casaburi I, Sirianni R, Pezzi V. Steroid receptor signallings as targets for resveratrol actions in breast and prostate cancer. Int J Mol Sci 2019; 20:1-14.
21. Qi Q, Liu X, Li S, Joshi HC, Ye K. Synergistic suppression of noscapine and conventional chemotherapeutics on human glioblastoma cell growth. Acta Pharmacol Sin 2013; 34:930-938.
22. Chougule M, Patel AR, Sachdeva P, Jackson T, Singh M. Anticancer activity of Noscapine, an opioid alkaloid in combination with Cisplatin in human non-small cell lung cancer. Lung Cancer 2011; 71:271-282.
23. Shen W, Liang B, Yin J, Li X, Cheng J. Noscapine increases the sensitivity of drug-resistant ovarian cancer cell line SKOV3/DDP to cisplatin by regulating cell cycle and activating apoptotic pathways. Cell Biochem Biophys 2015; 72:203-213.
24. Su W, Huang L, Ao Q, Zhang Q, Tian X, Fang Y, et al. Noscapine sensitizes chemoresistant ovarian cancer cells to cisplatin through inhibition of HIF-1α. Cancer Lett 2011; 305:94-99.
25. Dash SG, Suri C, Nagireddy PKR, Kantevari S, Naik PK. Rational design of 9-vinyl-phenyl noscapine as potent tubulin binding anticancer agent and evaluation of the effects of its combination on Docetaxel. J Biomol Struct Dyn 2021; 39:5276-5289.
26. Rabzia A, Khazaei M, Rashidi Z, Khazaei MR. Synergistic anticancer effect of paclitaxel and noscapine on human prostate cancer cell lines. Iran J Pharm Res 2017; 16:1-11.
27. Zhou J, Gupta K, Yao J, Ye K, Panda D, Giannakakou P, et al. Paclitaxel-resistant human ovarian cancer cells undergo c-Jun NH2-terminal kinase-mediated apoptosis in response to noscapine. J Biol Chem 2002; 277:39777-39785.
28. Chougule MB, Patel AR, Jackson T, Singh M. Antitumor activity of Noscapine in combination with Doxorubicin in triple negative breast cancer. PLoS One 2011; 6:1-12.
29. Chougule MB, Patel AR, Patlolla R, Sachdeva M. Multifunctional CREKA peptide conjugated lipid nanocarriers of synergistically acting Noscapine and Doxorubicin for breast cancer therapy. Cancer Res 2010; 70:5511-5511.
30. Samarghandian S, Azimi‐Nezhad M, Farkhondeh T. Thymoquinone‐induced antitumor and apoptosis in human lung adenocarcinoma cells. J Cell Physiol 2019; 234:10421-10431.
31. Krylova N, Drobysh M, Semenkova GN, Kulahava T, Pinchuk S, Shadyro O. Cytotoxic and antiproliferative effects of thymoquinone on rat C6 glioma cells depend on oxidative stress. Mol Cell Biochem 2019; 462:195-206.
32. Helmy SA, El-Mesery M, El-Karef A, Eissa LA, El Gayar AM. Thymoquinone upregulates TRAIL/TRAILR2 expression and attenuates hepatocellular carcinoma in vivo model. Life Sci 2019; 233:1-12.
33. Ali Salim LZ, Othman R, Abdulla MA, Al-Jashamy K, Mohd Ali H, Hassandarvish P, et al. Thymoquinone inhibits murine leukemia WEHI-3 cells in vivo and in vitro. PLoS One 2014; 9:1-21.
34. Kensara OA, El-Shemi AG, Mohamed AM, Refaat B, Idris S, Ahmad J. Thymoquinone subdues tumor growth and potentiates the chemopreventive effect of 5-fluorouracil on the early stages of colorectal carcinogenesis in rats. Drug Des Devel Ther 2016; 10:2239–2253.
35. Lei X, Lv X, Liu M, Yang Z, Ji M, Guo X, et al. Thymoquinone inhibits growth and augments 5-fluorouracil-induced apoptosis in gastric cancer cells both in vitro and in vivo. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 2012; 417:864-868.
36. Rahman SA, Samat NHA, Ahmad NA, Abdullah AR, Zahri SM, Kamarzaman S. Investigating the potential of Nigella sativa and thymoquinone in salvaging the embryo from effects of toxic paternal exposure to cyclophosphamide. IIUM 2017; 16:1-8.
37. Khan A, Aldebasi YH, Alsuhaibani SA, Khan MA. Thymoquinone augments cyclophosphamide-mediated inhibition of cell proliferation in breast cancer cells. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev 2019; 20:1153-1160.
38. Yuksel S, Tasdemir S, Korkmaz S. Protective effect of thymoquinone against cyclophosphamide-induced genotoxic damage in human lymphocytes. Bratisl Lek Listy 2017; 118:208-211.
39. Wilson AJ, Saskowski J, Barham W, Yull F, Khabele D. Thymoquinone enhances cisplatin-response through direct tumor effects in a syngeneic mouse model of ovarian cancer. J Ovarian Res 2015; 8:1-10.
40. Ma J, Hu X, Li J, Wu D, Lan Q, Wang Q, et al. Enhancing conventional chemotherapy drug cisplatin-induced anti-tumor effects on human gastric cancer cells both in vitro and in vivo by Thymoquinone targeting PTEN gene. Oncotarget 2017; 8:85926-85939.
41. Farghaly ME, Khowailed AA, Aboulhoda BE, Rashed LA, Gaber SS, Ashour H. Thymoquinone potentiated the anticancer effect of cisplatin on hepatic tumorigenesis by modulating tissue oxidative stress and endoplasmic GRP78/CHOP signaling. Nutr Cancer 2022; 74:278-287.
42. Alaufi OM, Noorwali A, Zahran F, Al-Abd AM, Al-Attas S. Cytotoxicity of thymoquinone alone or in combination with cisplatin (CDDP) against oral squamous cell carcinoma in vitro. Sci Rep 2017; 7:1-12.
43. Bashir AO, El-Mesery ME, Anwer R, Eissa LA. Thymoquinone potentiates miR-16 and miR-375 expressions in hepatocellular carcinoma. Life Sci 2020; 254:117794.
44. Fatfat M, Fakhoury I, Habli Z, Mismar R, Gali-Muhtasib H. Thymoquinone enhances the anticancer activity of doxorubicin against adult T-cell leukemia in vitro and in vivo through ROS-dependent mechanisms. Life Sci 2019; 232:1-9.
45. El-Far AH, Darwish NHE, Mousa SA. Senescent colon and breast cancer cells induced by doxorubicin exhibit enhanced sensitivity to curcumin, caffeine, and thymoquinone. Integr Cancer Ther 2020; 19:1-14.
46. Arafa E-SA, Zhu Q, Shah ZI, Wani G, Barakat BM, Racoma I, et al. Thymoquinone up-regulates PTEN expression and induces apoptosis in doxorubicin-resistant human breast cancer cells. Mutat Res - Fundam Mol Mech Mutagen 2011; 706:28-35.
47. Ibiyeye KM, Nordin N, Ajat M, Zuki ABZ. Ultrastructural changes and antitumor effects of doxorubicin/thymoquinone-loaded CaCO3 nanoparticles on breast cancer cell line. Front Oncol 2019; 9:599-613.
48. Ibiyeye KM, Zuki ABZ. Cockle shell-derived aragonite CaCO3 nanoparticles for co-delivery of doxorubicin and thymoquinone eliminates cancer stem cells. Int J Mol Sci 2020; 21:1900-1929.
49. Singh SK, Apata T, Gordetsky JB, Singh R. Docetaxel combined with thymoquinone induces apoptosis in prostate cancer cells via inhibition of the PI3K/AKT signaling pathway. Cancers 2019; 11:1390-1403.
50. Dirican A, Atmaca H, Bozkurt E, Erten C, Karaca B, Uslu R. Novel combination of docetaxel and thymoquinone induces synergistic cytotoxicity and apoptosis in DU-145 human prostate cancer cells by modulating PI3K–AKT pathway. Clin Transl Oncol 2015; 17:145-151.
51. Bawadud R, Alkhatib MH, Gashlan H. Combination of docetaxel with thymoquinone in nanoemulsion impedes the migration of breast cancer stem cells. Int J Pharm Investig 2020; 10:211-216.
52. Jang Y-G, Go R-E, Hwang K-A, Choi K-C. Resveratrol inhibits DHT-induced progression of prostate cancer cell line through interfering with the AR and CXCR4 pathway. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 2019; 192:1-12.
53. Li C, Hu W-L, Lu M-X, Xiao G-F. Resveratrol induces apoptosis of benign prostatic hyperplasia epithelial cell line (BPH-1) through p38 MAPK-FOXO3a pathway. BMC Complement Altern Med 2019; 19:1-7.
54. Mirzapur P, Khazaei MR, Moradi MT, Khazaei M. Apoptosis induction in human breast cancer cell lines by synergic effect of raloxifene and resveratrol through increasing proapoptotic genes. Life Sci 2018; 205:45-53.
55. Chung SS, Dutta P, Austin D, Wang P, Awad A, Vadgama JV. Combination of resveratrol and 5-flurouracil enhanced anti-telomerase activity and apoptosis by inhibiting STAT3 and Akt signaling pathways in human colorectal cancer cells. Oncotarget 2018; 9:32943-32957.
56. Dun J, Chen X, Gao H, Zhang Y, Zhang H, Zhang Y. Resveratrol synergistically augments anti-tumor effect of 5-FU in vitro and in vivo by increasing S-phase arrest and tumor apoptosis. Exp Biol Med 2015; 240:1672-1681.
57. Cho KH, Jeong BY, Park CG, Lee HY. The YB-1/EZH2/amphiregulin signaling axis mediates LPA-induced breast cancer cell invasion. Arch Pharm Res 2019; 42:519-530.
58. Nam KH, Yi SA, Nam G, Noh JS, Park JW, Lee MG, et al. Identification of a novel S6K1 inhibitor, rosmarinic acid methyl ester, for treating cisplatin-resistant cervical cancer. BMC cancer 2019; 19:1-13.
59. Aghamiri S, Jafarpour A, Zandsalimi F, Aghemiri M, Shoja M. Effect of resveratrol on the radiosensitivity of 5‐FU in human breast cancer MCF‐7 cells. J Cell Biochem 2019; 120:15671-15677.
60. Mohan A, Narayanan S, Sethuraman S, Krishnan UM. Novel resveratrol and 5-fluorouracil coencapsulated in PEGylated nanoliposomes improve chemotherapeutic efficacy of combination against head and neck squamous cell carcinoma. Biomed Res Int 2014; 2014:1-14.
61. Buhrmann C, Shayan P, Kraehe P, Popper B, Goel A, Shakibaei M. Resveratrol induces chemosensitization to 5-fluorouracil through up-regulation of intercellular junctions, Epithelial-to-mesenchymal transition and apoptosis in colorectal cancer. Biochem Pharmacol 2015; 98:51-68.
62. Lee SH, Koo BS, Park SY, Kim YM. Anti‑angiogenic effects of resveratrol in combination with 5‑fluorouracil on B16 murine melanoma cells. Mol Med Rep 2015; 12:2777-2783.
63. Jin HG, Wu GZ, Wu GH, Bao YG. Combining the mammalian target of rapamycin inhibitor, rapamycin, with resveratrol has a synergistic effect in multiple myeloma. Oncol Lett 2018; 15:6257-6264.
64. Uvez A, Aydinlik S, Esener O, Erkisa M, Karakus D. Synergistic interactions between resveratrol and doxorubicin inhibit angiogenesis both in vitro and in vivo. Pol J Vet Sci 2020; 23:571-580.
65. Zhao Y, Huan M-l, Liu M, Cheng Y, Sun Y, Cui H, et al. Doxorubicin and resveratrol co-delivery nanoparticle to overcome doxorubicin resistance. Sci Rep 2016; 6:1-15.
66. Sprouse AA, Herbert B-S. Resveratrol augments paclitaxel treatment in MDA-MB-231 and paclitaxel-resistant MDA-MB-231 breast cancer cells. Anticancer Res 2014; 34:5363-5374.
67. Liu Z, Peng Q, Li Y, Gao Y. Resveratrol enhances cisplatin-induced apoptosis in human hepatoma cells via glutamine metabolism inhibition. BMB Rep 2018; 51:474-479.
68 .Lee Y-J, Lee GJ, Yi SS, Heo S-H, Park C-R, Nam H-S, et al. Cisplatin and resveratrol induce apoptosis and autophagy following oxidative stress in malignant mesothelioma cells. Food Chem Toxicol 2016; 97:96-107.
69. Martínez-Martínez D, Soto A, Gil-Araujo B, Gallego B, Chiloeches A, Lasa M. Resveratrol promotes apoptosis through the induction of dual specificity phosphatase 1 and sensitizes prostate cancer cells to cisplatin. Food Chem Toxicol 2019; 124:273-279.
70. Engelke LH, Hamacher A, Proksch P, Kassack MU. Ellagic acid and resveratrol prevent the development of cisplatin resistance in the epithelial ovarian cancer cell line A2780. J Cancer 2016; 7:353-363.
71. Jung YY, Shanmugam MK, Narula AS, Kim C, Lee JH, Namjoshi OA, et al. Oxymatrine attenuates tumor growth and deactivates STAT5 signaling in a lung cancer xenograft model. Cancers 2019; 11:49-70.
72. Liu Y, Qin L, Bi T, Dai W, Liu W, Gao Q, et al. Oxymatrine synergistically potentiates the antitumor effects of cisplatin in human gastric cancer cells. J Cancer 2018; 9:4527-4535.
73. Ekinci Akdemir FN, Yildirim S, Kandemir FM, Aksu EH, Guler MC, Kiziltunc Ozmen H, et al. The antiapoptotic and antioxidant effects of eugenol against cisplatin‐induced testicular damage in the experimental model. Andrologia 2019; 51:e13353.
74. Luo Y, Zha L, Luo L, Chen X, Zhang Q, Gao C, et al. ‐Gingerol enhances the cisplatin sensitivity of gastric cancer cells through inhibition of proliferation and invasion via PI 3 K/AKT signaling pathway. Phytother Res 2019; 33:1353-1362.
75. Dash SG, Kantevari S, Naik PK. Combination regimen of amino-noscapine and docetaxel for evaluation of anticancer activity. Anal Chem Lett 2021; 11:215-229.
76. Öztürk Y, Günaydın C, Yalçın F, Nazıroğlu M, Braidy N. Resveratrol enhances apoptotic and oxidant effects of paclitaxel through TRPM2 channel activation in DBTRG glioblastoma cells. Oxid Med Cell Longev 2019; 2019:1-14.
77. Zhang Y-Y, Yi M, Huang Y-P. Oxymatrine ameliorates doxorubicin-induced cardiotoxicity in rats. Cell Physiol Biochem 2017; 43:626-635.
78. Firouzi Amoodizaj F, Baghaeifar S, Taheri E, Farhoudi Sefidan Jadid M, Safi M, Seyyed Sani N, et al. Enhanced anticancer potency of doxorubicin in combination with curcumin in gastric adenocarcinoma. J Biochem Mol Toxicol 2020; 34:1-8.
79. Al-Abbasi FA, Alghamdi EA, Baghdadi MA, Alamoudi AJ, El-Halawany AM, El-Bassossy HM, et al. Gingerol synergizes the cytotoxic effects of doxorubicin against liver cancer cells and protects from its vascular toxicity. Molecules 2016; 21:1-18.
80. Hussain A, Brahmbhatt K, Priyani A, Ahmed M, Rizvi TA, Sharma C. Eugenol enhances the chemotherapeutic potential of gemcitabine and induces anticarcinogenic and anti-inflammatory activity in human cervical cancer cells. Cancer Biother Radiopharm 2011; 26:519-527.
81. Yu C, Chen D-q, Liu H-x, Li W-b, Lu J-w, Feng J-f. Rosmarinic acid reduces the resistance of gastric carcinoma cells to 5-fluorouracil by downregulating FOXO4-targeting miR-6785-5p. Biomed Pharmacother 2019; 109:2327-2334.
82. Xie W, Zhang Y, Zhang S, Wang F, Zhang K, Huang Y, et al. Oxymatrine enhanced anti-tumor effects of Bevacizumab against triple-negative breast cancer via abating Wnt/β-Catenin signaling pathway. Am J Cancer Res 2019; 9:1-22.
83. Liu Y, Bi T, Wang Z, Wu G, Qian L, Gao Q, et al. Oxymatrine synergistically enhances antitumor activity of oxaliplatin in colon carcinoma through PI3K/AKT/mTOR pathway. Apoptosis 2016; 21:1398-1407.
84. Guo Ld, Shen Yq, Zhao Xh, Guo Lj, Yu Zj, Wang D, et al. Curcumin combined with oxaliplatin effectively suppress colorectal carcinoma in vivo through inducing apoptosis. Phytother Res 2015; 29:357-365.
85. Mishra H, Mishra PK, Iqbal Z, Jaggi M, Madaan A, Bhuyan K, et al. Co-delivery of eugenol and dacarbazine by hyaluronic acid-coated liposomes for targeted inhibition of survivin in treatment of resistant metastatic melanoma. Pharmaceutics 2019; 11:1-35.
86. Wen C, Fu L, Huang J, Dai Y, Wang B, Xu G, et al. Curcumin reverses doxorubicin resistance via inhibition the efflux function of ABCB4 in doxorubicin‑resistant breast cancer cells. Mol Med Rep 2019; 19:5162-5168.
87. Huang Y, Zhang J, Wang G, Chen X, Zhang R, Liu H, et al. Oxymatrine exhibits anti-tumor activity in gastric cancer through inhibition of IL-21R-mediated JAK2/STAT3 pathway. Int J Immunopathol Pharmacol 2018; 32:1-10.
88. Li S, Zhang Y, Liu Q, Zhao Q, Xu L, Huang S, et al. Oxymatrine inhibits proliferation of human bladder cancer T24 cells by inducing apoptosis and cell cycle arrest. Oncol Lett 2017; 13:4453-4458.
89. Ye J, Zou M-M, Li P, Lin X-J, Jiang Q-W, Yang Y, et al. Oxymatrine and cisplatin synergistically enhance anti-tumor immunity of CD8+ T cells in non-small cell lung cancer. Front Oncol 2018; 8:1-11.
90. Liu Y, Bi T, Wang Z, Wu G, Qian L, Gao Q, et al. Oxymatrine synergistically enhances antitumor activity of oxaliplatin in colon carcinoma through PI3K/AKT/mTOR pathway. Apoptosis 2016; 21:1398-1407.
91. Abdullah ML, Hafez MM, Al-Hoshani A, Al-Shabanah O. Anti-metastatic and anti-proliferative activity of eugenol against triple negative and HER2 positive breast cancer cells. BMC Complement Altern Med 2018; 18:1-11.
92. Al-Sharif I, Remmal A, Aboussekhra A. Eugenol triggers apoptosis in breast cancer cells through E2F1/survivin down-regulation. BMC cancer 2013; 13:1-10.
93. Fathy M, Fawzy MA, Hintzsche H, Nikaido T, Dandekar T, Othman EM. Eugenol exerts apoptotic effect and modulates the sensitivity of HeLa cells to cisplatin and radiation. Molecules 2019; 24:1-14.
94. Islam SS, Al‐Sharif I, Sultan A, Al‐Mazrou A, Remmal A, Aboussekhra A. Eugenol potentiates cisplatin anti‐cancer activity through inhibition of ALDH‐positive breast cancer stem cells and the NF‐κB signaling pathway. Mol Carcinog 2018; 57:333-346.
95. Islam SS, Aboussekhra A. Sequential combination of cisplatin with eugenol targets ovarian cancer stem cells through the Notch-Hes1 signalling pathway. J Exp Clin Cancer Res 2019; 38:1-14.
96. Li W, Li Q, Wei L, Pan X, Huang D, Gan J, et al. Rosmarinic acid analogue-11 induces apoptosis of human gastric cancer SGC-7901 cells via the epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR)/Akt/nuclear factor kappa B (NF-κB) pathway. Med Sci Monit Basic Res 2019; 25:63.
97. Jang YG, Hwang KA, Choi KC. Rosmarinic acid, a Component of rosemary tea, induced the cell cycle arrest and apoptosis through modulation of HDAC2 expression in prostate cancer cell lines. Nutrients 2018; 10:1-15.
98. Makaremi S, Ganji A, Ghazavi A, Mosayebi G. Inhibition of tumor growth in CT-26 colorectal cancer-bearing mice with alcoholic extracts of Curcuma longa and Rosmarinus officinalis. Gene Reports 2021; 22:1-9.
99. Radziejewska I, Supruniuk K, Nazaruk J, Karna E, Popławska B, Bielawska A, et al. Rosmarinic acid influences collagen, MMPs, TIMPs, glycosylation and MUC1 in CRL-1739 gastric cancer cell line. Biomed Pharmacother 2018; 107:397-407.
100. Liao XZ, Gao Y, Sun LL, Liu JH, Chen HR, Yu L, et al. Rosmarinic acid reverses non‐small cell lung cancer cisplatin resistance by activating the MAPK signaling pathway. Phytother Res 2020; 34:1142-1153.
101. Chou S-T, Ho B-Y, Tai Y-T, Huang C-J, Chao W-W. Bidirect effects from cisplatin combine with rosmarinic acid (RA) or hot water extracts of Glechoma hederacea (HWG) on renal cancer cells. Chin Med 2020; 15:1-13.
102. Manolova Y, Deneva V, Antonov L, Drakalska E, Momekova D, Lambov N. The effect of the water on the curcumin tautomerism: A quantitative approach. Spectrochim Acta A 2014; 132:815-820.
103. Sun C, Zhang S, Liu C, Liu X. Curcumin promoted miR-34a expression and suppressed proliferation of gastric cancer cells. Cancer Biother Radiopharm 2019; 34:634-641.
104. Maulina T, Hadikrishna I, Hardianto A, Sjamsudin E, Pontjo B, Yusuf HY. The therapeutic activity of curcumin through its anti-cancer potential on oral squamous cell carcinoma: A study on Sprague Dawley rat. SAGE Open Med 2019; 7:1-10.
105. Shao ZM, Shen ZZ, Liu CH, Sartippour MR, Go VL, Heber D, et al. Curcumin exerts multiple suppressive effects on human breast carcinoma cells. Int J Cancer 2002; 98:234-240.
106. He W, Xia Y, Cao P, Hong L, Zhang T, Shen X, et al. Curcuminoid WZ35 synergize with cisplatin by inducing ROS production and inhibiting TrxR1 activity in gastric cancer cells. J Exp Clin Cancer Res 2019; 38:1-11.
107. Pezzani R, Salehi B, Vitalini S, Iriti M, Zuñiga FA, Sharifi-Rad J, et al. Synergistic effects of plant derivatives and conventional chemotherapeutic agents: an update on the cancer perspective. Medicina 2019; 55:1-16.
108. Namkaew J, Jaroonwitchawan T, Rujanapun N, Saelee J, Noisa P. Combined effects of curcumin and doxorubicin on cell death and cell migration of SH-SY5Y human neuroblastoma cells. In Vitro Cell Dev Biol Anim 2018; 54:629-639.
109. Patel BB, Sengupta R, Qazi S, Vachhani H, Yu Y, Rishi AK, et al. Curcumin enhances the effects of 5‐fluorouracil and oxaliplatin in mediating growth inhibition of colon cancer cells by modulating EGFR and IGF‐1R. Int J Cancer 2008; 122:267-273.
110. Seyed Hosseini E, Alizadeh Zarei M, Babashah S, Nakhaei Sistani R, Sadeghizadeh M, Haddad Kashani H, et al. Studies on combination of oxaliplatin and dendrosomal nanocurcumin on proliferation, apoptosis induction, and long non-coding RNA expression in ovarian cancer cells. Cell Biol Toxicol 2019; 35:247-266.
111. Ozawa‐Umeta H, Kishimoto A, Imaizumi A, Hashimoto T, Asakura T, Kakeya H, et al. Curcumin β‐D‐glucuronide exhibits anti–tumor effects on oxaliplatin‐resistant colon cancer with less toxicity in vivo. Cancer Sci 2020; 111:1785-1793.
112. Lu Y, Wu S, Xiang B, Li L, Lin Y. Curcumin attenuates oxaliplatin-induced liver injury and oxidative stress by activating the Nrf2 pathway. Drug Des Devel Ther 2020; 14:73-85.
113. Han W, Yin H, Ma H, Wang Y, Kong D, Fan Z. Curcumin regulates ERCC1 expression and enhances oxaliplatin sensitivity in resistant colorectal cancer cells through its effects on miR-409-3p. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 2020; 2020:1-16.
114. Mashhadi NS, Ghiasvand R, Askari G, Hariri M, Darvishi L, Mofid MR. Anti-oxidative and anti-inflammatory effects of ginger in health and physical activity: Review of current evidence. Int J Prev Med 2013; 4:S36-42.
115. Saeedifar AM, Mosayebi G, Ghazavi A, Ganji A. Synergistic evaluation of ginger and licorice extracts in a mouse model of colorectal cancer. Nutr Cancer 2021; 73:1068-1078.
116. Yavari M, Jaafari MR, Mirzavi F, Mosayebi G, Ghazavi A, Ganji A. Anti-tumor effects of PEGylated-nanoliposomes containing ginger extract in colorectal cancer-bearing mice. Iran J Basic Med Sci 2022; 25:890-896.
117. Sarami S, Dadmanesh M, Hassan ZM, Ghorban K. Study on the effect of ethanol ginger extract on cell viability and p53 level in breast and pancreatic cancer. Arch Pharm Pract 2020; 11:115-121.
118. Zhang F, Thakur K, Hu F, Zhang J-G, Wei Z-J. 10-Gingerol, a phytochemical derivative from “tongling white ginger”, inhibits cervical cancer: Insights into the molecular mechanism and inhibitory targets. J Agric Food Chem 2017; 65:2089-2099.
119. Meng B, Ii H, Qu W, Yuan H. Anticancer Effects of gingerol in retinoblastoma cancer cells (RB355 Cell Line) are mediated via apoptosis induction, cell cycle arrest and upregulation of PI3K/Akt signaling pathway. Med Sci Monit 2018; 24:1980-1987.
120. Kapoor V, Aggarwal S, Das SN. 6‐Gingerol mediates its anti tumor activities in human oral and cervical cancer cell lines through apoptosis and cell cycle arrest. Phytother Res 2016; 30:588-595.
121. Baptista Moreno Martin AC, Tomasin R, Luna-Dulcey L, Graminha AE, Araújo Naves M, Teles RHG, et al. -Gingerol improves doxorubicin anticancer activity and decreases its side effects in triple negative breast cancer models. Cell Oncol 2020; 43:915-929.
122. El-Bakly WM, Louka ML, El-Halawany AM, Schaalan MF. 6-gingerol ameliorated doxorubicin-induced cardiotoxicity: Role of nuclear factor kappa B and protein glycation. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 2012; 70:833-841.
123. Manatunga DC, de Silva RM, de Silva K, Wijeratne DT, Malavige GN, Williams G. Fabrication of 6-gingerol, doxorubicin and alginate hydroxyapatite into a bio-compatible formulation: Enhanced anti-proliferative effect on breast and liver cancer cells. Chem Cent J 2018; 12:1-13.
124. Olsen RW. Absinthe and γ-aminobutyric acid receptors. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2000; 97:4417-4418.
125. Zhou Y, Liu J-q, Zhou Z-h, Lv X-t, Chen Y-q, Sun L-q, et al. Enhancement of CD3AK cell proliferation and killing ability by α-thujone. Int Immunopharmacol 2016; 30:57-61.
126. Biswas R, Mandal SK, Dutta S, Bhattacharyya SS, Boujedaini N, Khuda-Bukhsh AR. Thujone-rich fraction of thuja occidentalis demonstrates major anti-cancer potentials: Evidences from in vitro studies on A375 cells. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 2011; 2011:1-16.