1. Menini S, Iacobini C, Vitale M, Pugliese G. The inflammasome in chronic complications of diabetes and related metabolic disorders. Cells 2020; 9: 1812-1838.
2. Rother KI. Diabetes treatment-bridging the divide. N Engl J Med 2007; 356: 1499-1502.
3. McIntyre HD, Catalano P, Zhang C, Desoye G, Mathiesen ER, Damm P. Gestational diabetes mellitus. Nat Rev Dis Primers. 2019; 5: 1-19.
4. Li L, Yang Y, Bai J, Zhang Y, Yang H, Zhang Y, et al. Impaired vascular endothelial function is associated with peripheral neuropathy in patients with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Metab Syndr Obes 2022; 15: 1437-1449.
5. Orlando G, Balducci S, Boulton AJ, Degens H, Reeves ND. Neuromuscular dysfunction and exercise training in people with diabetic peripheral neuropathy: A narrative review. Diabetes Res Clin Pract 2021; 109183.
6. Revathi A, Kaladevi R, Ramana K, Jhaveri RH, Rudra Kumar M, Sankara Prasanna Kumar M. Early detection of cognitive decline using machine learning algorithm and cognitive ability test. Secur Commun Netw 2022; 2022:1-13.
7. Mukherjee S, Ghosh S, Ghosh S. Association of midlife cognition impairment with diabetic retinopathy in type 2 diabetes mellitus in an Indian population. Pract Diabetes 2022; 39: 24-9.
8. Albai O, Frandes M, Timar R, Roman D, Timar B. Risk factors for developing dementia in type 2 diabetes mellitus patients with mild cognitive impairment. Neuropsychiatr Dis Treat 2019; 15: 167-175.
9. Biessels GJ, Despa F. Cognitive decline and dementia in diabetes mellitus: mechanisms and clinical implications. Nat Rev Endocrinol 2018; 14: 591-604.
10. Xue M, Xu W, Ou Y-N, Cao X-P, Tan M-S, Tan L, et al. Diabetes mellitus and risks of cognitive impairment and dementia: A systematic review and meta-analysis of 144 prospective studies. Ageing Res Rev 2019; 55: 100944.
11. Tumminia A, Vinciguerra F, Parisi M, Frittitta L. Type 2 diabetes mellitus and Alzheimer’s disease: Role of insulin signalling and therapeutic implications. Int J Mol Sci 2018; 19: 3306-3322.
12. Hölscher C. Brain insulin resistance: Role in neurodegenerative disease and potential for targeting. Expert Opin Investig Drugs 2020; 29: 333-48.
13. Papachristoforou E, Lambadiari V, Maratou E, Makrilakis K. Association of glycemic indices (hyperglycemia, glucose variability, and hypoglycemia) with oxidative stress and diabetic complications. J Diabetes Res 2020; 2020:1-17.
14. Brito P, Costa J, Gomes N, Costa S, Correia‐Pinto J, Silva R. Serum pro‐inflammatory factors as predictors of persistent diabetic macular oedema with limited anatomic response to anti‐VEGF: association with intravitreal injection treatment profiles in real‐world setting. Acta Ophthalmol 2020; 98: e421-e427.
15. Williams R, Karuranga S, Malanda B, Saeedi P, Basit A, Besançon S, et al. Global and regional estimates and projections of diabetes-related health expenditure: Results from the International Diabetes Federation Diabetes Atlas. Diabetes Res Clin Pract 2020; 162: 108072.
16. Sun H, Saeedi P, Karuranga S, Pinkepank M, Ogurtsova K, Duncan BB, et al. IDF Diabetes Atlas: Global, regional and country-level diabetes prevalence estimates for 2021 and projections for 2045. Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2022; 183: 109119.
17. Butt MD, Ong SC, Wahab MU, Rasool MF, Saleem F, Hashmi A, et al. Cost of Illness Analysis of Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus: The Findings from a Lower-Middle Income Country. Int J Environ Res Public Health 2022; 19: 12611-12625.
18. Ebrahimpour S, Esmaeili A, Beheshti S. Effect of quercetin-conjugated superparamagnetic iron oxide nanoparticles on diabetes-induced learning and memory impairment in rats. Int J Nanomedicine 2018; 13: 6311-3624.
19. Singh A, Bodakhe SH. Resveratrol attenuates behavioural impairment associated with learning and memory in rats with diabetes induced by a high‐fat diet and streptozotocin. Br J Pharmacol 2022; 179: 4673-4691.
20. Selvarajah D, Kar D, Khunti K, Davies MJ, Scott AR, Walker J, et al. Diabetic peripheral neuropathy: Advances in diagnosis and strategies for screening and early intervention. Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol 2019; 7: 938-948.
21. Vujosevic S, Aldington SJ, Silva P, Hernández C, Scanlon P, Peto T, et al. Screening for diabetic retinopathy: new perspectives and challenges. Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol 2020; 8: 337-347.
22. Pradeep SR, Barman S, Srinivasan K. Attenuation of diabetic nephropathy by dietary fenugreek (Trigonella foenum-graecum) seeds and onion (Allium cepa) via suppression of glucose transporters and renin-angiotensin system. Nutrition. 2019; 67: 110543.
23. Lari ZN, Hajimonfarednejad M, Riasatian M, Abolhassanzadeh Z, Iraji A, Vojoud M, et al. Efficacy of inhaled Lavandula angustifolia Mill. Essential oil on sleep quality, quality of life and metabolic control in patients with diabetes mellitus type II and insomnia. J Ethnopharmacol 2020; 251: 112560.
24. Najibullah SNM, Ahamad J, Aldahish AA, Sultana S, Sultana S. Chemical characterization and α-glucosidase inhibitory activity of essential oil of Lavandula angustifolia flowers. J Essent Oil-Bear Plants 2021; 24: 431-438.
25. Idm’hand E, Msanda F, Cherifi K. Ethnopharmacological review of medicinal plants used to manage diabetes in Morocco. Clin Phytosci 2020; 6: 1-32.
26. Sharma S, Mishra V, Srivastava N. Protective effect of Trigonella foenum-graecum and Cinnamomum zeylanicum against diabetes induced oxidative DNA damage in rats. Indian J Biochem Biophys 2020; 57: 15-26.
27. Gholamnezhad Z, Sotoudeh R, Aghaei A, Kasraie N. Effects of Ribes khorasanicum hydro-ethanolic extract on streptozotocin-induced diabetic complications in rats. Vet Res Forum 2021;12:459-465.
28. Annunziata G, Barrea L, Ciampaglia R, Cicala C, Arnone A, Savastano S, et al. Arctium lappa contributes to the management of type 2 diabetes mellitus by regulating glucose homeostasis and improving oxidative stress: A critical review of in vitro and in vivo animal‐based studies. Phytother Res 2019; 33: 2213-2220.
29. Kalantar M, Shirali S, Hasanvand A, Valizadeh M, Tavakoli R, Asadi M, et al. Ameliorative effects of hydroalcoholic extract of Lavandula officinalis L. on methotrexate-induced oxidative stress in rats. Pharm Sci 2016; 23: 18-26.
30. Iqbal R, Musaddaq R, Habib A, Aslam S, Jaffar G, Ashraf Z, et al. Antidiabetic effects of fenugreek and cinnamon extract in diabetic mice. Transylvanian Rev 2022; 30.
31. Wang M, Cui B, Gong M, Liu Q, Zhuo X, Lv J, et al. Arctium lappa leaves based on network pharmacology and experimental validation attenuate atherosclerosis by targeting the AMPK-mediated PPARG/LXRα pathway. Biomed Pharmacother 2022; 153: 113503-113515.
32. Hosseini M, Anaeigoudari A, Beheshti F, Soukhtanloo M, Nosratabadi R. Protective effect against brain tissues oxidative damage as a possible mechanism for beneficial effects of L-arginine on lipopolysaccharide induced memory impairment in rats. Drug Chem Toxicol 2018;41:175-181.
33. Bargi R, Asgharzadeh F, Beheshti F, Hosseini M, Farzadnia M, Khazaei M. Thymoquinone protects the rat kidneys against renal fibrosis. Res Pharm Sci 2017;12:479-487.
34. Madesh M, Balasubramanian K. Microtiter plate assay for superoxide dismutase using MTT reduction by superoxide. Indian J Biochem Biophys 1998; 35: 184-188.
35. Ghasemi S, Hosseini M, Feizpour A, Alipour F, Sadeghi A, Vafaee F, et al. Beneficial effects of garlic on learning and memory deficits and brain tissue damages induced by lead exposure during juvenile rat growth is comparable to the effect of ascorbic acid. Drug Chem Toxicol 2017;40:206-214.
36. He J, Zheng G, Qian X, Sheng H, Chen B, Zhao B, et al. Effect of high-dose intravenous vitamin C on point-of-care blood glucose level in septic patients: a retrospective, single-center, observational case series. Curr Med Res Opin 2021; 37: 555-565.
37. Kumar S, Mittal A, Babu D, Mittal A. Herbal medicines for diabetes management and its secondary complications. Curr Diabetes Rev 2021; 17: 437-56.
38. Alharbi KS, Afzal M, Alzarea SI, Khan SA, Alomar FA, Kazmi I. Rosinidin protects streptozotocin-induced memory impairment-activated neurotoxicity by suppressing oxidative stress and inflammatory mediators in rats. Medicina 2022; 58: 993-1005.
39. Safavi M, Hosseini-Sharifabad A, Seyed-Yousefi Y, Rabbani M. Protective effects of citicoline and benfotiamine each alone and in combination on streptozotocin-induced memory impairment in mice. Clin Psychopharmacol Neurosci 2020; 18: 81-92.
40. Gholamigeravand B, Shahidi S, Afshar S, Gholipour P, Samzadeh-Kermani A, Amiri K, et al. Synergistic effects of adipose-derived mesenchymal stem cells and selenium nanoparticles on streptozotocin-induced memory impairment in the rat. Life Sci 2021; 272: 119246.
41. Verma B, Singh C, Singh A. Effect of hydro-alcoholic extract of centella asiatica on streptozotocin induced memory dysfunction in adult zebrafish. Curr Res Behav Sci 2021; 2: 100059-10066.
42. Khazdair MR, Rajabi O, Balali-Mood M, Beheshti F, Boskabady MH. The effect of Zataria multiflora on pulmonary function tests, hematological and oxidant/anti-oxidant parameters in sulfur mustard exposed veterans, a randomized doubled-blind clinical trial. Environ Toxicol Pharmacol 2018;58:180-188.
43. Dakhlaoui S, Wannes WA, Sari H, Hmida MB, Frouja O, Limam H, et al. Combined effect of essential oils from lavender (Lavandula officinalis L.) aerial parts and coriander (Coriandrum sativum L.) seeds on anti-oxidant, anti-diabetic, anti-cancer and anti-inflammatory activities. J Essential Oil Bearing Plants 2022; 25: 188-199.
44. Khosla P, Gupta D, Nagpal R. Effect of Trigonella foenum graecum (Fenugreek) on blood glucose in normal and diabetic rats. Indian J Physiol Pharmacol 1995; 39: 173-174.
45. Luo X-d, Feng J-s, Yang Z, Huang Q-t, Lin J-d, Yang B, et al. High-dose omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acid supplementation might be more superior than low-dose for major depressive disorder in early therapy period: A network meta-analysis. BMC Psychiatry 2020; 20: 1-8.
46. McNamara RK, Strimpfel J, Jandacek R, Rider T, Tso P, Welge JA, et al. Detection and treatment of long-chain omega-3 fatty acid deficiency in adolescents with SSRI-resistant major depressive disorder. PharmaNutrition 2014; 2: 38-46.
47. Manganiello-Terra FA, Correa-Netto NF, Masukawa MY, Ruzzi A, Linardi A, Santos-Junior JG. Inhaled Lavandula angustifolia essential oil enhances extinction learning and inhibits memory updating in mice submitted to the contextual fear conditioning. J Ethnopharmacol 2020; 260: 113048.
48. Rehman MU, Ali N, Jamal M, Kousar R, Ishaq M, Awan AA, et al. Comparison of acute and chronic effects of Bacopa monnieri, Ginkgo biloba, and Lavandula angustifolia and their mixture on learning and memory in mice. Phytother Res 2021; 35: 2703-2710.
49. Bafadam S, Beheshti F, Khodabakhshi T, Asghari A, Ebrahimi B, Sadeghnia HR, et al. Trigonella foenum-graceum seed (Fenugreek) hydroalcoholic extract improved the oxidative stress status in a rat model of diabetes-induced memory impairment. Horm Mol Biol Clin Invest 2019; 39:/j/hmbci.2019.39.issue-2/hmbci-2018-0074/hmbci-2018-0074.xml.
50. Hamounpeima I, Mohebbati R, Hosseini M, KhajaviRad A, Rakhshandeh H, Safarnejad A, et al. Cardiovascular effects of standardized hydroalcoholic extract of Ribes khorasanicum fruit in acute hypertensive rats. Avicenna J Phytomed 2020; 10: 253-262.
51. Aboutaleb N, Jamali H, Abolhasani M, Toroudi HP. Lavender oil (Lavandula angustifolia) attenuates renal ischemia/reperfusion injury in rats through suppression of inflammation, oxidative stress and apoptosis. Biomed Pharmacother 2019; 110: 9-19.
52. Yang Y, Gao H, Liu W, Liu X, Jiang X, Li X, et al. Arctium lappa L. roots ameliorates cerebral ischemia through inhibiting neuronal apoptosis and suppressing AMPK/mTOR-mediated autophagy. Phytomedicine 2021; 85: 153526.
53. Pradeepkiran JA, Nandyala VS, Bhaskar M. Trigonella foenum-graecum seeds extract plays a beneficial role on brain antioxidant and oxidative status in alloxan-induced Wistar rats. Food Quality and Safety 2020; 4: 83-89.
54. Subramanian S, John M. Intranasal administration of insulin lowers amyloid-beta levels in rat model of diabetes. Indian J Exp Biol 2012; 50: 41-4.
55. Liu Y-W, Zhu X, Lu Q, Wang J-Y, Li W, Wei Y-Q, et al. Total saponins from Rhizoma Anemarrhenae ameliorate diabetes-associated cognitive decline in rats: Involvement of amyloid-beta decrease in brain. J Ethnopharmacol 2012; 139: 194-200.
56. Soheili M, Khalaji F, Mirhashemi M, Salami M. The effect of essential oil of Lavandula angustifolia on amyloid beta polymerization: An in vitro study. Iran J Chem Chem Eng 2018; 37: 201-207.
57. Jaehne EJ, Kent JN, Antolasic EJ, Wright BJ, Spiers JG, Creutzberg KC, et al. Behavioral phenotyping of a rat model of the BDNF Val66Met polymorphism reveals selective impairment of fear memory. Transl Psychiatr 2022; 12: 1-11.
58. Xu P, Wang K, Lu C, Dong L, Gao L, Yan M, et al. The protective effect of lavender essential oil and its main component linalool against the cognitive deficits induced by D-galactose and aluminum trichloride in mice. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 2017;2017:7426538-7426548.
59. Lee J-e, Roh S-S, Kim H-Y, Kim K-h, Kim S-H. Enhancement of immune activities of Canavalia gladiata & Arctium lappa complexes in immobilization stress mouse model. Korea J Herbol 2017; 32: 1-13.