1. Gelderblom WC, Jaskiewicz K, Marasas WF, Thiel PG, Horak RM, Vleggaar R, et al. Fumonisins-novel mycotoxins with cancer-promoting activity produced by fusarium moniliforme. Appl Environ Microbiol 1998; 54:1806–1811.
2. Bhat RV, Shetty PH, Amruth RP, Sudershan RV. A food borne disease outbreak due to the consumption of moldy sorghum and maize containing fumonisin mycotoxins. Clin Toxicol 1997; 35:249–255.
3. Merrill AHJ, Liotta DC, Riley RT. Fumonisins: fungal toxins that shed light on sphingolipid function. Trends Cell Biol 1996; 6:218–223.
4. Gelderblom WC, Abel S, Smuts CM, Marnewick J, Marasas WF, Lemmer ER, et al. Fumonisin-induced hepatocarcinogenesis: Mechanisms related to cancer initiation and promotion. Environ. Health Perspect 2001; 109:291–300.
5. Hussein HS, Brasel JM. Toxicity, metabolism and impact of mycotoxins on humans and animals. Toxicology 2001; 167:101–134.
6. Merrill AHJr, Schmelz EM, Dillehay DL, Spiegel S, Shayman JA, Schroeder JJ, et al. Sphingolipids–the enigmatic lipid class: Biochemistry, physiology and pathophysiology. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 1997; 142:208–225.
7. Wang H, Wei H, Ma J, Luo X. The fumonisin B1 content in corn from North China, a high-risk area of esophageal cancer. J Environ Pathol Toxicol Oncol 2000; 19:139–141.
8. Goope NV, He Q, Sharma RP. Fumonisin B1-induced apoptosis is associated with delayed inhibition of protein kinase C, nuclear factor-kappaB and tumor necrosis factor alpha in LLC-PK1 cells. Chem Biol Interact 2003; 146:131–145.
9. Schmelz EM, Dombrink–Kurtzman MA, Roberts PC, Kozutsumi Y, Kawasaki T, Merrill AHJr. Induction of apoptosis by fumonisin B1 in HT29 cells is mediated by the accumulation of endogenous free sphingoid bases. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 1998; 148:252–260.
10. Taranu I, Marin DE, Bouhet S, Pascale F, Bailly JD, Miller JD, et al. Mycotoxin fumonisin B1 alters the cytokine profile and decreases the vaccinal antibody titer in pigs. Toxicol Sci 2005; 84:301–307.
11. Taranu I, Pascale F, Lionide A, Burlacu R, Bailly JD, Oswald IP. Sex-related differences in the immune response of weanling piglets exposed to low doses of fumonisin extract. Br J Nut 2006; 95:1185–1192.
12. Bracarense AP, Lucioli J, Grenier B, Drociunas Pacheco G, Moll WD, et al. Chronic ingestion of deoxynivalenol and fumonisin, alone or in interaction, induces morpho-logical and immunological changes in the intestine of piglets. Br J Nutr 2011; 22:1–11.
13. Iijima K, Koike T, Abe Y, Inomata Y, Sekine H, Imatani A, et al. Extensive gastric atrophy: an increased risk factor for superficial oesophageal squamous cell carcinoma in Japan. Am J Gastroenterol 2007; 102:1603–1609.
14. Take S, Mizuno M, Ishiki K, Nagahara Y, Yoshida T, Yokota K, et al. Baseline gastric mucosal atrophy is a risk factor associated with the development of gastric cancer after Helicobacter pylori eradication therapy in patients with peptic ulcer diseases. J Gastroenterol 2007; 17:21–27.
15. Derakhshan MH, Malekzadeh R, Watabe H, Yazdanbod A, Fyfe V, Kazemi A, et al. Combination of gastric atrophy, reflux symptoms and histological subtype indicates two distinct aetiologies of gastric cardia cancer. Gut 2008; 57:298–305.
16. Islami F, Sheikhattari P, Ren JS, Kamangar F. Gastric atrophy and risk of oesophageal cancer and gastric cardia adenocarcinoma; a systematic review and meta-analysis. Ann Oncol 2011; 22:754–760.
17. Sydenham EW, Theil PG, Marasas WFO, Shephard GS, Van Schalkwyk DJ, Koch KR. Natural occurrence of some Fusarium mycotoxins in corn from low and high esophageal cancer prevalence areas of the Transkei, Southern Africa. J Agric Food Chem 1999; 38:1900-1903.
18. Yoshizawa T, Yamashita A, Luo Y. Fumonisin occurrence in corn from high- and low risk areas for human esophageal cancer in China. Appl Environ Microbiol 1994; 60:1626–1629.
19. Ghiasian SA, Rezayat SM, Kord-Bacheh P, Maghsood AH, Yazdanpanah H, Shephard GS, et al. Fumonisin production by Fusarium species isolated from freshly harvested corn in Iran. Mycopathologia 2005; 159:31–40.
20. Alizadeh AM, Rohandel G, Roudbarmohammadi S, Roudbary M, Sohanaki H, et al. Fumonisin b1 contamination of cereals and risk of esophageal cancer in a high risk area in northeastern Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev 2012; 13:2625–2628.
21. Rheeder JP, Sydenham EW, Marasas WF, Thiel PG, Shephard GS, Schlechter M, et al. Ear-rot fungi and mycotoxins in South African corn of the 1989 crop exported to Taiwan. Mycopathologia 1994; 127:35-41.
22. Voss KA, Chamberlain WJ, Bacon CW, Riley RT, Norred WP. Subchronic toxicity of fumonisin B1 to male and female rats. Food Addit Contam 1995; 12:473-478.
23. Sakagami T, Dixon M, O'Rourke J, Howlett R, Alderuccio F, Vella J, et al. Atrophic gastric changes in both Helicobacterfelis and Helicobacter pylori infected mice are host dependent and separate from antral gastritis. Gut 1996; 39:639–648.
24. Rugge M, Correa P, Dixon MF, Fiocca R, Hattori T, Lechago J, et al. Gastric mucosal atrophy: interobserver consistency using new criteria for classification and grading. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2002; 16:1249–1259.
25. Dethloff LA, Robertson DG, Tierney BM, Breider MA, Bestervelt LL. Gastric gland degeneration induced in monkeys by the CCK-B/gastrin receptor antagonist CI-988. Toxicol Pathol 1997; 25:441.
26. Brenner RM, Slayden OD, Rodgers WH, Critchley HO, Carroll R, Nie XJ, et al. Immuno-cytochemical assessment of mitotic activity with an antibody to phosphorylated histone H3 in the macaque and human endometrium. Hum Reprod 2003; 18:1185-1193.
27. Alizadeh AM, Faghihi M, Khori V, Sohanaki H, Pourkhalili K, Mohammadghasemi F, et al. Oxytocin protects cardiomyocytes from apoptosis induced by ischemia-reperfusion in rat heart: Role of mitochondrial ATP-dependent potassium channel and permeability transition pore. Peptides 2012; 36:71-77.
28. Alizadeh AM, Khaniki M, Azizian S, Mohagheghi MA, Sadeghizadeh M, Najafi F. Chemoprevention of azoxymethane-initiated colon cancer in rat by using a novel polymeric nanocarrier-curcumin. Eur J Pharmacol 2012; 689:226-232.
29. Cohen SM. Cell proliferation and carcinogenesis. Drug Metab Rev 1998; 30:339–357.
30. Dragan YP, Bidlack WR, Cohen SM, Goldsworthy TL, Hard GC, Howard PC, et al. Implication of apoptosis for toxicity, carcinogenicity, and risk assessment: fumonisin B1 as an example. Toxicol Sci 2001; 61:6–17.
31. Mahmoodi M, Alizadeh AM, Sohanaki H, Rezaei N, Amini-Najafi F, Khosravi AR, et al. Impact of fumonisin B1 on the production of inflammatory cytokines by gastric and colon cell Lines. Iran J `
Allergy Asthma Immunol 2012; 11:165-173.
32. Mahmoodi M, Alizadeh AM, Amini-Najafi M, Khosravi AR, Hosseini SK, Safari Z, et al. Effects of fumonisin B1 on the stomach and colon cell lines in vitro. Tehran Univ Med J 2012; 69:744-753.
33. Chatzipantelis P, Konstantinou P, Voros D, Smyrniotis V, Kondi-Pafiti A. Apoptosis and gastric carcinogenesis: Immunohistochemical analysis of Bax and Bcl-2 proteins. Ann Gastroenterol 2007; 20:124–129.
34. Anagnostopoulos GK, Stefanou D, Arkoumani E, Sakorafas G, Pavlakis G, Arvanitidis D, et al. Bax and Bcl-2 protein expression in gastric precancerous lesions: immunohistochemical study. J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2005; 20:1674–1678.
35. Kroemer G. The proto-oncogene Bcl-2 and its role in regulating apoptosis. Nat Med 1997; 3:614–620.
36. Wang E, Norred WP, Bacon CW, Riley RT, Merrill AH. Inhibition of sphingolipid biosynthesis by fumonisins. Implications for diseases associated with Fusarium moniliforme. J Biol Chem 1991; 266:14486–14490.
37. Craddock VM. Aetiology of oesophageal cancer: some operative factors. Eur J Cancer Prev 1992; 1:89–103.
38. Houben GM, Stockbrugger RW. Bacteria in the aetio-pathogenesis of gastric cancer: a review. Scand J Gastroenterol Suppl 1995; 212:13–18.
39. Lechevrel M, Casson AG, Wolf CR, Hardie LJ, Flinterman MB, Montesano R, et al. Characterization of cytochrome P450 expression in human oesophageal mucosa. Carcinogenesis 1999; 20:243–248.