1. Belmaker RH. Bipolar disorder. N Engl J Med 2004; 351:476-486.
2. Rajkowska G. Cell pathology in bipolar disorder. Bipolar disord 2002; 4:105-116.
3. Schloesser RJ, Huang J, Klein PS, Manji HK. Cellular plasticity cascades in the pathophysiology and treatment of bipolar disorder. Neuropsycho-pharmacol 2008; 33:110-133.
4. Shaltiel G, Chen G, Manji HK. Neurotrophic signaling cascades in the pathophysiology and treatment of bipolar disorder. Curr Opin Pharmacol 2007; 7:22-26.
5. Kim HW, Rapoport SI, Rao JS. Altered expression of apoptotic factors and synaptic markers in postmortem brain from bipolar disorder patients. Neurobiol Dis 2010; 37:596-603.
6. Cunha AB, Frey BN, Andreazza AC, Goi JD, Rosa AR, Gonçalves CA, et al. Serum brain-derived neurotrophic factor is decreased in bipolar disorder during depressive and manic episodes. Neurosci Lett 2006; 398:215-219.
7. Machado-Vieira R, Dietrich MO, Leke R, Cereser VH, Zanatto V, Kapczinski F, et al. Decreased plasma brain derived neurotrophic factor levels in unmedicated bipolar patients during manic episode. Biol Psychiatry 2007; 61:142-144.
8. Sklar P, Gabriel SB, McInnis MG, Bennett P, Lim YM, Tsan G, et al. Family-based association study of 76 candidate genes in bipolar disorder: BDNF is a potential risk locus. Brain-derived neutrophic factor. Mol Psychiatry 2002; 7:579-593.
9. Skibinska M, Hauser J, Czerski PM, Leszczynska-rodziewicz A, Kosmowska M, Kapelski P, et al. Association analysis of brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) gene Val66Met polymorphism in schizophrenia and bipolar affective disorder. W J Biol Psychiatry 2004; 5:215-220.
10. Chen PS, Peng GS, Li G, Yang S, Wu X, Wang CC, et al. Valproate protects dopaminergic neurons in midbrain neuron/glia cultures by stimulating the release of neurotrophic factors from astrocytes. Mol Psychiatry 2006; 11:1116-1125.
11. Kapczinski F, Frey BN, Kauer-Sant'Anna M, Grassi-Oliveira R. Brain-derived neurotrophic factor and neuroplasticity in bipolar disorder. Expert RevNeurother 2008; 8:1101-1113.
12. Michel TM, Frangou S, Camara S, Thiemeyer D, Jecel J, Tatschner T, et al. Altered glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor (GDNF) concentrations in the brain of patients with depressive disorder: A comparative post-mortem study. Eur Psychiatry 2008; 23:413-420.
13. Uchida S, Hara K, Kobayashi A, Otsuki K, Yamagata H, Hobara T, et al. Epigenetic status of gdnf in the ventral striatum determines susceptibility and adaptation to daily stressful events. Neuron 2011; 69:359-372.
14. Bachmann RF, Schloesser RJ, Gould TD, Manji HK. Mood stabilizers target cellular plasticity and resilience cascades: implications for the development of novel therapeutics. Mol Neurobiol 2005; 32:173-202.
15. Chuang DM. The antiapoptotic actions of mood stabilizers: molecular mechanisms and therapeutic potentials. Ann N Y Acad Sci 2005; 1053:195-204.
16. Machado-Vieira R, Manji HK, Zarate CA, Jr. The role of lithium in the treatment of bipolar disorder: convergent evidence for neurotrophic effects as a unifying hypothesis. Bipolar Disord 2009; 11 Suppl 2:92-109.
17. Fukumoto T, Morinobu S, Okamoto Y, Kagaya A, Yamawaki S. Chronic lithium treatment increases the expression of brain-derived neurotrophic factor in the rat brain. Psychopharmacol 2001; 158:100-106.
18. Hashimoto R, Takei N, Shimazu K, Christ L, Lu B, Chuang DM. Lithium induces brain-derived neurotrophic factor and activates TrkB in rodent cortical neurons: An essential step for neuroprotection against glutamate excitotoxicity. Neuropharmacol 2002; 43:1173-1179.
19. Cheng H, Fu YS, Guo JW. Ability of GDNF to diminish free radical production leads to protection against kainate-induced excitotoxicity in hippocampus. Hippocampus 2004; 14:77-86.
20. Chen Y, Swanson RA. Astrocytes and brain injury. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 2003; 23:137-149.
21. Takeshima T, Johnston J, Commissiong J. Mesen-cephalic type 1 astrocytes rescue dopaminer-gic neurons from death induced by serum deprivation. J Neurosci 1994; 14:4769-4779.
22. Keshavarz M, Emamghoreishi M, Nekooeian AA, J Warsh JW, Zare HR. Increased bcl-2 protein levels in rat primary astrocyte culture following chronic lithium treatment. Iran J Med Sci 2013; 38:255-262.
23. Yasuda S, Liang MH, Marinova Z, Yahyavi A, Chuang DM. The mood stabilizers lithium and valproate selectively activate the promoter IV of brain-derived neurotrophic factor in neurons. Mol Psychiatry 2009; 14:51-59.
24. Nishino S, Ohtomo K, Numata Y, Sato T, Nakahata N, Kurita M. Divergent effects of lithium and sodium valproate on brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) production in human astrocytoma cells at therapeutic concentrations. Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 2012; 39:17-22.
25. Chomczynski P, Sacchi N. Single-step method of RNA isolation by acid guanidinium thiocyanate-phenol-chloroform extraction. Anal Biochem 1987; 162:156-159.
26. Pfaffl MW, Horgan GW, Dempfle L. Relative expression software tool (REST©) for group-wise comparison and statistical analysis of relative expression results in real-time PCR. Nucleic Acids Res 2002; 30:e36.
27. Kruger NJ. The Bradford Method for Protein Quantitation. The Protein Protocols Handbook. In: Walker JM, eds. New York City: Humana Press; 2002. p. 15-21.
28. Saavedra A, Baltazar G, Duarte EP. Driving GDNF expression: The green and the red traffic lights. Prog Neurobiol 2008; 86:186-215.
29. Zafra F, Lindholm D, Castren E, Hartikka J, Thoenen H. Regulation of brain-derived neurotrophic factor and nerve growth factor mRNA in primary cultures of hippocampal neurons and astrocytes. J Neurosci 1992; 12:4793-4799.
30. Appel E, Kolman O, Kazimirsky G, Blumberg PM, Brodie C. Regulation of GDNF expression in cultured astrocytes by inflammatory stimuli. Neuroreport 1997; 8:3309-3312.
31. Jacobsen JPR, Mørk A. The effect of escitalopram, desipramine, electroconvulsive seizures and lithium on brain-derived neurotrophic factor mRNA and protein expression in the rat brain and the correlation to 5-HT and 5-HIAA levels. Brain Res 2004; 1024:183-192.
32. Oh-hashi K, Kaneyama M, Hirata Y, Kiuchi K. ER calcium discharge stimulates GDNF gene expression through MAPK-dependent and independent pathways in rat C6 glioblastoma cells. Neurosci Lett 2006; 405:100-105.
33. Bowley MP, Drevets WC, Öngür D, Price JL. Low glial numbers in the amygdala in major depressive disorder. Biol Psychiatry 2002; 52:404-412.
34. Sassi RB, Nicoletti M, Brambilla P, Mallinger AG, Frank E, Kupfer DJ, et al. Increased gray matter volume in lithium-treated bipolar disorder patients. Neurosci Lett 2002; 329:243-245.
35. Bearden CE, Thompson PM, Dalwani M, Hayashi KM, Lee AD, Nicoletti M, et al. Greater Cortical Gray Matter Density in Lithium-Treated Patients with Bipolar Disorder. Biol Psychiatry 2007; 62:7-16.
36. Yu AC, Liu RY, Zhang Y, Sun HR, Qin LY, Lau LT, et al. Glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor protects astrocytes from staurosporine- and ischemia- induced apoptosis. J Neurosci Res 2007; 85:3457-3464.
37. Ghribi O, Herman MM, Forbes MS, DeWitt DA, Savory J. GDNF protects against aluminum-induced apoptosis in rabbits by upregulating Bcl-2 and Bcl-XL and inhibiting mitochondrial Bax translocation. Neurobiol Dis 2001; 8:764-773.
38. Rajkowska G. Cell pathology in bipolar disorder. Bipolar Disord 2002; 4:105-116.[M1]
39. Nicole O, Ali C, Docagne F, Plawinski L, MacKenzie ET, Vivien D, et al. Neuroprotection mediated by glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor: involvement of a reduction of nmda-induced calcium influx by the mitogen-activated protein kinase pathway. J Neurosci 2001; 21:3024-3033.
40. Bonde C, Kristensen BW, Blaabjerg M, Johansen TE, Zimmer J, Meyer M. GDNF and neublastin protect against NMDA-induced excitotoxicity in hippocampal slice cultures. Neuroreport 2000; 11:4069-4073.