1. Mitropoulos P, Konidas P, Durkin-Konidas M. New World cutaneous leishmaniasis: Updated review of current and future diagnosis and treatment. J Am Acad Dermatol 2010; 63:309-322.
2. Amini M, Nahrevanian H, Khatami SH, Farahmand M, Mirkhani F, Javadian S. Biochemical association between essential trace elements and susceptibility to Leishmania major in BALB/c and C57BL/6 mice. Braz J Infect Dis 2009; 13:83-85.
3. Faryadi M, Mohebali M. Alterations of serum zinc, copper and iron concentrations in patients with acute and chronic cutaneous leishmaniasis. Iran J Public Health 2003; 32:53-58.
4. Nagill R, Kaur S. Vaccine candidates for leishmaniasis: A review. Int Immunopharmacol 2011; 11:1464-1488.
5. Sarkar A, Saha P, Mandal G, Mukhopadhyay D, Roy S, Singh SK, et al. Monitoring of intracellular nitric oxide in leishmaniasis: Its applicability in patients with visceral leishmaniasis. Cytometry A 2011; 79:35-45.
6. Van Assche T, Deschacht M, da Luz RA, Maes L, Cos P. Leishmania-macrophage interactions: Insights into the redox biology. Free Radic Biol Med 2011; 51:337-351.
7. Dea-Ayuela MA, Ordoñez-Gutierrez L, Bolás-Fernández F. Changes in the proteome and infectivity of Leishmania infantum induced by In vitro exposure to a nitric oxide donor. Int J Med Microbiol 2009; 299:221-232.
8. Opländer C, Müller T, Baschin M, Bozkurt A, Grieb G, Windolf J, et al. Characterization of novel nitrite-based nitric oxide generating delivery systemsfor topical dermal application. Nitric Oxide 2013; 28:24-32.
9. Nahrevanian H, Najafzadeh M, Hajihosseini R, Nazem H, Farahmand M, Zamani Z. Anti-leishmanial effects of trinitroglycerin in BALB/C mice infected with Leishmania major via nitric oxide pathway. Korean J Parasitol 2009; 47:109-115.
10. Ajdary S, Riazi-Rad F, Alimohammadian MH, Pakzad SR. Immune response to Leishmania antigen in anthroponotic cutaneous leishmaniasis. J Infect 2009; 59:139-143.
11. Kocyigit A, Erel O, Gurel MS, Avci S, Aktepe N. Alterations of serum selenium, zinc, copper, and iron concentrations and some related antioxidant enzyme activities in patients with cutaneous leishmaniasis. Biol Trace Elem Res 1998; 65:271-275.
12. Pourfallah F, Javadian S, Zamani Z, Saghiri R, Sadeghi S, Zarea B, et al. Evaluation of serum levels of zinc, copper, iron, and zinc/ copper ratio in cutaneous leishmaniasis. Iran J Arthropod-Borne Dis 2009; 3:7-11.
13. Kocyigit A, Erel O, Seyrek A, Gurel MS, Aktepe N, Avci S, et al. Effects of antimonial therapy on serum zinc, copper and iron concentrations in patients with cutaneous leishmaniasis in Turkey. J Egypt Soc Parasitol 1998; 28:133-142.
14. Lal CS, Kumar S, Ranjan A, Rabidas VN, Verma N, Pandey K, et al. Comparative analysis of serum zinc, copper, magnesium, calcium and iron level in acute and chronic patients of visceral leishmaniasis. J Trace Elem Med Biol 2013; 27:98-102.
15. Mathur P, Samantaray JC, Samanta P. High prevalence of functional liver derangement in visceral leishmaniasis at an Indian tertiary care center. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2008; 6:1170-1172.
16. Dias Costa J, Nazareth Meirelles M, Pereira Velloso C, Porrozzi R. Leishmania chagasi: Cytotoxic effect of infected macrophages on parenchymal liver cells. Exp Parasitol 2007; 117:390-398.
17. Nahrevanian H, Farahmand M, Aghighi Z, Assmar A, Amirkhani A. Pharmacological evaluation of anti-leishmanial activity by in vivo nitric oxide modulation in BALB/c mice infected with Leishmania major MRHO/IR/75/ER: an Iranian strain of cutaneous leishmaniasis. Exp Parasitol 2007; 116:233-240.
18. Ikeda-Garcia FA, Lopes RS, Ciarlini PC, Marques FJ, Lima VM, Perri SH, et al. Evaluation of renal and hepatic functions in dogs naturally infected by visceral leishmaniasis submitted to treatment with meglumine antimoniate. Res in Vet Sci 2007; 83:105-108.
19. Rallis T, Day MJ, Saridomichelakis MN, Adamama-Moraitou KK, Papazoglou L, Fytianou A, et al. chronic hepatitis associated with canine leishmaniosis (Leishmania infantum): A clinicopathological study of 26 cases. J Comp Pathol 2005; 132:145-152.
20. Kashani MN, Firooz A, Eskandari SE, Ghoorchi MH, Khamesipour A, Khatami A, et al. Evaluation of meglumine antimoniate effects on liver, kidney and pancreas function tests in patients with cutaneous leishmaniasis. Eur J Dermatol 2007; 17:513-515.
21. Razmjou SH, Hejazy H, Motazedian MH, Baghaei M, Emamy M, Kalantary M. A new focus of zoonotic cutaneous leishmaniasis in Shiraz, Iran. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 2009; 103:727-730.
22. Bhutto AM, Soomro FR, Baloch JH, Matsumoto J, Uezato H, Hashiguchi Y, et al. Cutaneous leishmaniasis caused by Leishmania (L.) major infection in Sindh province, Pakistan. Acta Tropica 2009; 111:295-298.
23. Kharazi SH, Zavaran Hosseini A, Tiraihi T. The role of overproduction of nitric oxide in apoptosis of BALB/c mice macrophages infected with Leishmania major In vitro. Iran J Allerg Asthm Immunol 2003; 2:209-214.
24. Moreira W, Leblanc E, Ouellette M. The role of reduced pterins in resistance to reactive oxygen and nitrogen intermediates in the protozoan parasite Leishmania. Free Radic Biol Med 2009; 46:367-375.
25. Van Weyenbergh J, Santana G, D'Oliveira A Jr, Santos AF Jr, Costa CH, Carvalho EM, et al. Zinc/copper imbalance reflects immune dysfunction in human leishmaniasis: an ex vivo and In vitro study. BMC Infec Dis 2004; 4:50.
26. Overbeck S, Rink L, Haase H. Modulating the immune response by oral zinc supplementation: A single approach for multiple diseases. Arch Immunol Ther Exp 2008; 56:15-30.
27. Nemati S, Nahrevanian H, Haniloo A, Farahmand M. Investigation on nitric oxide and C-reactive protein involvement in antileishmanial effects of artemisinin and glucantim on cutaneous leishmaniasis. Adv Studies Biol 2013; 5:27-36.
28. Mishra J, Carpenter S, Singh S. Low serum zinc levels in an endemic area of visceral leishmaniasis in Bihar, India. Indian J Med Res 2010; 131:793-798.
29. Sorkhroodi FZ, Naeini AA, Ramazani AZ, Ghazvini MA, Mohebali M, Keshavarz S. Therapeutic effect of sodium selenite and zinc sulphate as supplementary with meglumine antimoniate (glucantime ®) against cutaneous leishmaniasis in BALB/c mice. Iran J Parasitol 2010; 5:11-19.
30. Chavoshian O, Biari N, Badiee A, Khamesipour A, Abbasi A, Saberi Z, et al. Sphingomyelin liposomes containing soluble leishmania major antigens induced strong Th2 immune response in BALB/c mice. Iran J Basic Med Sci 2013; 16:965-972.
31. Taheri AR, Mashayekhi Goyonlo V, Nahidi Y, Moheghi N, Tavakkol Afshari J. Plasma levels of interlukin-4 and interferon-γ in patients with chronic or healed cutaneous leishmaniasis. Iran J Basic Med Sci 2014; 17:216-219.
32. Firooz A, Khatami A, Khamesipour A, Nassiri-Kashani M, Behnia F, Nilforoushzadeh M, et al. Intralesional injection of 2% zinc sulfate solution in the treatment of acute Old World cutaneous leishmaniasis: a randomized, double-blind, controlled clinical trial. J Drug Dermatol 2005; 4:73-79.
33. Kocyigit A, Gur S, Erel O, Gurel MS. Associations among plasma selenium, zinc, copper, and iron concentrations and immunoregulatory cytokine levels in patients with cutaneous lieshmaniasis. Boil Trace Elem Res 2002; 90:47-55.
34. Lawn SD, Armstrong M, Chilton D, Whitty CJ. Electrocardiographic and biochemical adverse effects of sodium stibogluconate during treatment of cutaneous and mucosal leishmaniasis among returned travellers. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 2006; 100:264-269.
35. Turner TL, Nguyen VH, McLauchlan CC, Dymon Z, Dorsey BM, Hooker JD, et al. Inhibitory effects of decavanadate on several enzymes and Leishmania tarentolae in vitro. J Inorg Biochem 2012; 108:96-104.
36. Ellis HV 3rd, Hong CB, Lee CC, Dacre JC, Glennon JP. Subacute and chronic toxicity studies of
trinitroglycerin in dogs, rats, and mice. Fundam Appl Toxicol 1984; 4:248-260.
37. Trend of “liver tenderness in nitroglycerin” reports. Available from: http;//www.FDA.gov/ medwatch.