1.Gruddy SM. Recent nutrition research, implications for foods of the future. Ann Med 1991; 23:187-193.
2.Parkin DM P, Pisani J Ferlay. Global cancer statistics. CA Cancer J Clin 1999; 49:33-64.
3.Sharp GB, Cologne JB, Fukuhara T, Takura H, Yamamoto M, Tokuoka S. Temporal changes in liver cancer incidence rates in Japan: Accounting for death certificate in accuracies and improving diagnostic techniques. Int J Cancer 2001; 93:751-758.
4.Gerard CCL. Overview of cancer in Malaysia. Jpn J Clin Oncol 2002; 32:S37-S42.
5.Scott WL, Athena WL. Apoptosis in cancer. Carcinogenesis 2002; 1: 485-495.
6.Clapham AR, Akeroyd JR. Cardaminopsis In Flora Europaea, vol. I (eds. Tutin TG, Heywood VH, Burges NA, Valentine DH, Walters SM, Webb DA) Cambridge: University Press; 1993. p 290.
7.Shamsa F, Ahmadiani, A, Khosrokhavar R. Antihistamic and anticholinergic activity of barberry fruit (Berberis vulgaris) in the guinea-pig ileum. J Ethnopharmacol 1999; 64: 161-166.
8.Chopra RN, Nayar SL, Chopra IC. Glossary of Indian medicinal plants (including the supplement). Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, New Delhi, 1986.
9.Chevallier A. The encyclopedia of mdicinal plants. London: Dorling Kindersley; 1996.
10. Ikram M. A review on the chemical and pharmacological aspects of genus Berberis. Planta Med 1975; 28: 353-358.
11. Motalleb G, Hanachi P, Othman F, Rahmat A. Effect of Berberis vulgaris fruit extract on liver enzymes activities, histological changes and alpha-fetoprotein gene expression in hepatocarcinogenic rats. Iran J Pharm Sci 2006; 2:29.
12. Hanachi P, Kua SH , Asmah R G Motalleb , Fauziah O. Cytotoxic effect of Berberis vulgaris fruit extract on the proliferation of human liver cancer cell line (HepG2) and its antioxidant properties. Int J Cancer Research 2006; 2:1-9.
13. Amin AH, Subbaiah TV, Abrasi KM. Berberine sulfate: antimicrobial activity, bioassay, and mode of action. Can J Microbiol 1969; 15:1067-1076.
14. Hanachi P, FauziahO, Lam TP, Loh LN, Lye CW, Tee ST. Histological study, GPx activity and selenium concentration during hepatocarcinogenesis in rats treated with Neem (Azadirachta indica) extract. Ann Microscopy 2004; 4:117-123.
15. Tapiero H, Townsend DM, Tew KD. The antioxidant role of Se and seleno-compounds. Biomed Pharmaco 2003; 57:134-144.
16.Walter B, Ralph A, William L, Harold H, Charles R, Harold M. A study of trace and minor elements in the solid tumor model 3924a hepatoma before and after treatment with 5-fluorouracil. Life Sci 1975; 17:233-240.
17.Bortner CD, Cidlowski JA. Uncoupling cell shrinkage from apoptosis reveals that Na+ influx is required for volume loss during programmed cell death. J Biol Chem 2003; 278:39176-39184.
18.Solt DB, Farber E. New principle for the analysis of chemical carcinogenesis. Nature 1976; 263:701-703.
19.Kang CB, Ha WS, Kwak SD, Kim CK. Development of apoptosis model and bioimmune responses in experimental animal. Induction and indicator of apoptosis and hepatic tumorigenesis. Korean J Veterinary Clinic Med 1999; 16:100-107.
20.Kritchevsy D, Klurfeld MD. Dietary fiber and cancer. Human nutrition: a comprehensive treatise. New York: NY: Plenum; 1987.
21. Hanachi P, Fauziah O, Lam TP, Loh LN, Lye CW, Tee ST. Histological study, GPx activity and selenium concentration during hepatocarcinogenesis in rats treated with Neem (Azadirachta indica) extract. Ann Micro 2004; 4: 117-123.
22. Amin I, Koh BK, Asmah R. Effect of cacao liquor extract on tumor marker enzymes during chemical hepatocarcinogenesis in rats. J Med Food 2004; 7:7-12.
23.Eligeuze RH. Metastatic tumors in the ovary: a problemoriented approach and review of the recent literature. Semin Diag Pathol 1998; 8:250-276.
24. Langlois NEI, Eremin O, Heys SD. Apoptosis and prognosis in cancer: rationale and relevance. JRC Surg Ed 2000; 124: 211-219.
25. Kerr JFR, Winterford CM, Harmon BV. Apoptosis-its significance in cancer and cancer therapy. Cancer 1994; 73:2013-2026.
26.Schulte-Hermann R, Bursch W, Grasl-Kraupp B, Torok L, Ellinger A, Mullauer L. 1995. Role of active cell death (apoptosis) in multistage carcinogenesis. Toxicol Lett 1995; 82-83:143-148.
27.Schmitt CA, Lowe SW. Apoptosis and therapy. J Pathol 1999; 187:127-137.
28.Darzynkiewicz Z. Apoptosis in antitumour strategies: modulation of cell cycle or differentiation. J Cell Bioch 1995; 58:151-159.
29.Scott WL, Athena WL. Apoptosis in cancer. Carcinogenesis 2000; 1: 485-495.
30.Searle J, Lawson, TA, Abbott PJ, Harmon B, Kerr JFR. An electron microscope study of the mode of cell death induced by cancer chemotherapeutic agents in populations of proliferating normal and neoplastic cells. J Pathol 1975; 116:129-138.
31.Walter B, Ralph A, William L, Harold H, Charles R, Harold M. A study of trace and minor elements in the solid tumor model 3924a hepatoma before and after treatment with 5-fluorouracil. Life Sci 1975; 17:233-240.
32.Ralph OA, Mary DB, William BL, Harold AH, Charles JK. Changes in serum trace element levels following local irradiation of a solid tumor. Life Sci 1977; 21:647-658.