1. Macdonald RL, Kelly KM. Antiepileptic drug mechanisms of action. Epilepsia 1995; 36:S2–S12.
2. Johannessen CU, Johannessen SI. Valproate: past, present, and future. CNS Drug Rev 2003; 9:199–216.
3. Warner A, Privitera M, Bates D. Standards of laboratory practice: antiepileptic drug monitoring. Clin Chem 1998; 44:1085–1095.
4. Löscher W. Valproate: a reappraisal of its pharmacodynamic properties and mechanisms of action. Prog Neurobiol 1999; 58:31–59.
5. Arranz Peña MI. Rapid gas chromatographic determination of valproic acid in serum. J Chromatogr 1981; 225:459–462.
6. Kumps AH. Therapeutic drug monitoring: a comprehensive and critical review of analytical methods for anticonvulsive drugs. J Neurol 1982; 228:1–16.
7. Krasowski MD. Therapeutic drug monitoring of the newer anti-epilepsy medications. Pharmaceu-ticals 2010; 3:1909–1935.
8. Musenga A, Saracino MA, Sani G, Raggi MA. Antipsychotic and antiepileptic drugs in bipolar disorder: the importance of therapeutic drug monitoring. Curr Med Chem 2009; 16:1463–1481.
9. Kang J, Park YS, Kim SH, Kim SH, Jun MY. Modern methods for analysis of antiepileptic drugs in the biological fluids for pharmacokinetics, bioequival-ence and therapeutic drug monitoring. Korean J Physiol Pharmacol 2011; 15:67–81.
10.Regenthal R, Krueger M, Koeppel C, Preiss R. Drug Levels: therapeutic and toxic serum/plasma concentrations of common drugs. J Clin Monit Comput 1999; 15:529–544.
11.Amini H, Javan M, Ahmadiani A. Development and validation of a sensitive assay of valproic acid in human plasma by high-performance liquid chromatography without prior derivatization. J Chromatogr B 2006; 830:368–371.
12.Kushida K, Ishizaki T. Concurrent determination of valproic acid with other antiepileptic drugs by high-performance liquid chromatography. J Chromatogr 1985; 338:131–139.
13.Lin MC, Kou HS, Chen CC, Wu SM, Wu HL. Simple and sensitive fluorimetric liquid chromatography method for the determination of valproic acid in plasma. J Chromatogr B 2004; 810:169–172.
14.Wolf JH, Veenma-van der Duin L, Korf J. Automated analysis procedure for valproic acid in blood, serum and brain dialysate by high-performance liquid chromatography with bromomethylmethoxycoumarin as fluorescent label. J Chromatogr 1989; 487:496–502.
15.Jain D, Subbaiah G, Sanyal M, Shrivastav P. A high throughput and selective method for the estimation of valproic acid an antiepileptic drug in human plasma by tandem LC–MS/MS. Talanta 2007; 72:80–88.
16.Gao S, Miao H, Tao X, Jiang B, Xiao Y, Cai F, et al. LC–MS/MS method for simultaneous determination of valproic acid and major metabolites in human plasma. J Chromatogr B 2011; 879:1939–1944.
17. Cheng H, Liu Z, Blum W, Byrd JC, Klisovic R, Grever MR, et al. Quantification of valproic acid and its metabolite 2-propyl-4-pentenoic acid in human plasma using HPLC-MS/MS. J Chromatogr B 2007; 850:206–212.
18. Belin GK, Krähenbühl S, Hauser PC. Direct determination of valproic acid in biological fluids by capillary electrophoresis with contactless conductivity detection. J Chromatogr B 2007; 847:205–209.
19. Pham TTT, See HH, Morand R, Krähenbühl S, Hauser PC. Determination of free and total valproic acid in human plasma by capillary electrophoresis with contactless conductivity detection. J Chromatogr B 2012; 907:74–78.
20. Degel F, Heidrich R, Schmid RD, Weidemann G. Quantitative determination of valproic acid by means of gas chromatographic headspace analysis. Clin Chim Acta 1984; 139:29–36.
21. Cooreman S, Cuypers E, De Doncker M, Van Hee P, Uyttenbroeck W, Neels H. Comparison of three immunoassays and one GC-MS method for the determination of valproic acid. Immuno-Anal Biol Spe 2008; 23:240–244.
22. Ahmadkhaniha R, Rastkari N, Kobarfard F, Pakdaman H, Ahmadkhaniha O, Kebriaeezadeh A. An improved GC method for rapid analysis of valproic acid in human plasma without derivatization. Iran J Pharm Sci 2007; 9:37-42.
23. Deng C, Li N, Ji J, Yang B, Duan G, Zhang X. Development of water-phase derivatization followed by solid-phase microextraction and gas chromatography/mass spectrometry for fast determination of valproic acid in human plasma. Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom 2006; 20:1281–1287.
24. Ho TS, Pedersen-Bjergaard S, Rasmussen KE. Liquid-phase microextraction of protein-bound drugs under non-equilibrium conditions. Analyst 2002; 127:608–613.
25. Krogh M, Johansen K, Tønnesen F, Rasmussen KE. Solid-phase microextraction for the determination of the free concentration of valproic acid in human plasma by capillary gas chromatography. J Chromatogr B 1995; 673:299–305.
26. Matin AA, Biparva P, Amanzadeh H, Farhadi K. Zinc/Aluminum layered double hydroxide–titanium dioxide composite nanosheet film as novel solid phase microextraction fiber for the gas chromatographic determination of valproic acid. Talanta 2013; 103:207–213.
27. Farajzadeh MA, Farhadi K, Matin AA, Hashemi P, Jouyban A. Headspace solid-phase microextraction-gas chromatography method for the determination of valproic acid in human serum, and formulations using hollow-fiber coated wire. Anal Sci 2009; 25:875–879.
28. Jahangiri S, Hatami M, Farhadi K, Bahram M. Hollow-fiber-based LPME as a reliable sampling method for gas chromatographic determination of pharmacokinetic parameters of valproic acid in rat plasma. Chromatographia 2013; 76:663–669.
29. Sobhi HR, Kashtiaray A, Farahani H, Abrahimpour F, Esrafili A. Quantitation of valproic acid in pharmaceutical preparations using dispersive liquid-liquid microextraction followed by gas chromatography-flame ionization detection without prior derivatization. Drug Test Anal 2010; 2:362–366.
30. Namera A, Saito T. Recent advances in unique sample preparation techniques for bioanalysis. Bioanalysis 2013; 5:915–932.
31. Ashri NY, Abdel-Rehim M. Sample treatment based on extraction techniques in biological matrices. Bioanalysis 2011; 3:2003–2018.
32. Lord H, Pawliszyn J. Evolution of solid-phase microextraction technology. J Chromatogr A 2000; 885:153–193.
33. Arthur CL, Pawliszyn J. Solid phase microextraction with thermal desorption using fused silica optical fibers. Anal Chem 1990; 62:2145–2148.
34. Jeannot MA, Cantwell FF. Solvent microextraction into a single drop. Anal Chem 1996; 68:2236–2240.
35. He Y, Lee HK. Liquid-phase microextraction in a single drop of organic solvent by using a conventional microsyringe. Anal Chem 1997; 69:4634–4640.
36. Sarafraz -Yazdi A, Amiri A. Liquid-phase microextraction. Trends Anal Chem 2010; 29:1-14.
37. Rezaee M, Assadi Y, Milani Hosseini MR, Aghaee E, Ahmadi F, Berijani S. Determination of organic compounds in water using dispersive liquid–liquid microextraction. J Chromatogr A 2006; 1116:1–9.
38. Berijani S, Assadi Y, Anbia M, Milani Hosseini MR, Aghaee E. Dispersive liquid-liquid microextraction combined with gas chromatography-flame photometric detection. Very simple, rapid and sensitive method for the determination of organophosphorus pesticides in water. J Chromatogr A 2006; 1123:1–9.
39. Volmut J, Matisová E, Pham Thi Ha. Simultaneous determination of six antiepileptic drugs by capillary gas chromatography. J Chromatogr B 1990; 527:428–435.
40. Shahdousti P, Mohammadi A, Alizadeh N. Determination of valproic acid in human serum and pharmaceutical preparations by headspace liquid-phase microextraction gas chromatography-flame ionization detection without prior derivatization. J Chromatogr B 2007; 850:128–133.