1. Robinson DS. Regulatory T cells and asthma. Clin Exp Allergy 2009; 39:1314-1323.
2. Louten J, Boniface K, de Waal Malefyt R. Development and function of TH17 cells in health and disease. The J Allergy Clin Immunol 2009; 123:1004-10011.
3. Soroosh P, Doherty TA. Th9 and allergic disease. Immunology 2009; 127:450-458.
4. Hellings PW, Kasran A, Liu Z, Vandekerckhove P, Wuyts A, Overbergh L, et al. Interleukin-17 orchestrates the granulocyte influx into airways after allergen inhalation in a mouse model of allergic asthma. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 2003; 28:42-50.
5. Durrant DM, Metzger DW. Emerging roles of T helper subsets in the pathogenesis of asthma. Immunol Invest 2010; 39:526-249.
6. Wing K, Fehervari Z, Sakaguchi S. Emerging possibilities in the development and function of regulatory T cells. Int Immunol 2006; 18:991-1000.
7. Ryanna K, Stratigou V, Safinia N, Hawrylowicz C. Regulatory T cells in bronchial asthma. Allergy 2009; 64:335-347.
8. Akdis CA, Akdis M. Mechanisms and treatment of allergic disease in the big picture of regulatory T cells. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2009; 123:735-746; quiz 47-48.
9. Palomares O, Yaman G, Azkur AK, Akkoc T, Akdis M, Akdis CA. Role of Treg in immune regulation of allergic diseases. Eur J Immunol 2010; 40:1232-1240.
10. Sakaguchi S, Ono M, Setoguchi R, Yagi H, Hori S, Fehervari Z, et al. Foxp3+ CD25+ CD4+ natural regulatory T cells in dominant self-tolerance and autoimmune disease. Immunol Rev 2006; 212:8-27.
11. Annesi-Maesano I, Mourad C, Daures JP, Kalaboka S, Godard P. Time trends in prevalence and severity of childhood asthma and allergies from 1995 to 2002 in France. Allergy 2009; 64:798-800.
12. Asher MI. Recent perspectives on global epidemiology of asthma in childhood. Allergol Immunopathol 2010; 38:83-87.
13. Afshar R, Medoff BD, Luster AD. Allergic asthma: a tale of many T cells. Clin Expe Allergy 2008; 38:1847-1857.
14.Koh YI, Choi IS, Kim WY. BCG infection in allergen-presensitized rats suppresses Th2 immune response and prevents the development of allergic asthmatic reaction. J Clin Immunol 2001; 21:51-59.
15.Erb KJ, Holloway JW, Sobeck A, Moll H, Le Gros G. Infection of mice with Mycobacterium bovis-Bacillus Calmette-Guerin (BCG) suppresses allergen-induced airway eosinophilia. J Exp Med 1998; 187:561-569.
16.Herz U, Gerhold K, Gruber C, Braun A, Wahn U, Renz H, et al. BCG infection suppresses allergic sensitization and development of increased airway reactivity in an animal model. J Allergy Clin Immunol 1998; 102:867-874.
17. Wang CC, Rook GA. Inhibition of an established allergic response to ovalbumin in BALB/c mice by killed Mycobacterium vaccae. Immunology 1998; 93:307-313.
18. Hopfenspirger MT, Agrawal DK. Airway hyper responsiveness, late allergic response, and eosinophilia are reversed with mycobacterial antigens in ovalbumin-presensitized mice. J Immunol 2002; 168:2516-2522.
19. Zuany-Amorim C, Sawicka E, Manlius C, Le Moine A, Brunet LR, Kemeny DM, et al. Suppression of airway eosinophilia by killed Mycobacterium vaccae-induced allergen-specific regulatory T-cells. Nat Med 2002; 8:625-629.
20. Zhang J, Li C, Guo S. Effects of inhaled inactivated Mycobacterium phlei on airway inflammation in mouse asthmatic models. J Aerosol Med Pulm Drug Deliv 2012; 25:96-103.
21. Cheng C, Ho WE, Goh FY, Guan SP, Kong LR, Lai WQ, et al. Anti-malarial drug artesunate attenuates experimental allergic asthma via inhibition of the phosphoinositide 3-kinase/Akt pathway. PloS One 2011; 6:e20932.
22. Qu SY, Ou-Yang HF, He YL, Wan Q, Shi JR, Wu CG.. Der p 2 recombinant bacille Calmette-Guerin targets dendritic cells to inhibit allergic airway inflammation in a mouse model of asthma. Respiration 2013; 85:49-58.
23. Karani L, Tolo F, Karanja S, Khayeka C. Safety and efficacy of Prunus africana and Warburgia ugandensis against induced asthma in BALB/c Mice. Eur J Med Pl 2013; 3:345-368.
24. Tsai YG, Niu DM, Yang KD, Hung CH, Yeh YJ, Lee CY, et al. Functional defects of CD46-induced regulatory T cells to suppress airway inflammation in mite allergic asthma. Lab Invest 2012; 92:1260-1269.
25. Roh GS, Seo S-W, Yeo S, Lee JM, Choi J-W, Kim E, et al. Efficacy of a traditional Korean medicine, Chung-Sang-Bo-Ha-Tang, in a murine model of chronic asthma. Int Immunopharmacol 2005; 5:427-436.
26. Yang X, Wang S, Fan Y, Zhu L. Systemic mycobacterial infection inhibits antigen-specific immunoglobulin E production, bronchial mucus production and eosinophilic inflammation induced by allergen. Immunology 1999; 98:329-337.
27. Cavallo GP, Elia M, Giordano D, Baldi C, Cammarota R. Decrease of specific and total IgE levels in allergic patients after BCG vaccination: preliminary report. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2002; 128:1058-1060.
28.Round JL, Lee SM, Li J, Tran G, Jabri B, Chatila TA, et al. The Toll-like receptor 2 pathway establishes colonization by a commensal of the human microbiota. Science 2011; 332:974-977.
29.Olszak T, An D, Zeissig S, Vera MP, Richter J, Franke A, et al. Microbial exposure during early life has persistent effects on natural killer T cell function. Science 2012; 336:489-493.
30. Navarro S, Cossalter G, Chiavaroli C, Kanda A, Fleury S, Lazzari A, et al. The oral administration of bacterial extracts prevents asthma via the recruitment of regulatory T cells to the airways. Mucosal Immunol 2011; 4:53-65.
31.Strickland DH, Judd S, Thomas JA, Larcombe AN, Sly PD, Holt PG. Boosting airway T-regulatory cells by gastrointestinal stimulation as a strategy for asthma control. Mucosal Immunol 2011; 4:43-52.
32.Han ER, Choi IS, Eom SH, Kim HJ. Preventive effects of mycobacteria and their culture supernatants against asthma development in BALB/c mice. Allergy Asthma Immunol Res 2010; 2:34-40.
33. Choi IS, Lin XH, Koh YA, Koh YI, Lee HC. Strain-dependent suppressive effects of BCG vaccination on asthmatic reactions in BALB/c mice. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol 2005; 95:571-578.
34.Choi IS, Lin XH, Koh YA, Cui Y. Inoculation route-dependent and allergen-specific suppressive effects of bacille Calmette-Guerin vaccination on asthmatic reactions in BALB/c mice. Lung 2007; 185:179-186.
35.Lagranderie M, Vanoirbeek JAJ, Vargaftig BB, Guyonvarc’h P-M, Marchal G, Roux X. Therapeutic administration of Mycobacterium bovis BCG killed by Extended Freeze-Drying modulates airway inflammation in a chronic murine model of asthma. Open J Respir Dis 2013; 3:79.
36.Deng Y, Li W, Luo Y, Wang LJ, Xie XH, Luo J, et al. Inhibition of IFN-γ promotes anti-asthma effect of Mycobacterium bovis Bacillus Calmette-Guerin neonatal vaccination: A murine asthma model. Vaccine 2014; 32:2070-2078.
37.Arnoldussen DL, Linehan M, Sheikh A. BCG vaccination and allergy: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2011; 127:246-53, 53.e1-21.
38. Qu SY, Ou-Yang HF, He YL, Li ZK, Shi JR, Song LQ, et al. Der p2 recombinant bacille Calmette-Guerin priming of bone marrow-derived dendritic cells suppresses Der p2-induced T helper17 function in a mouse model of asthma. Respirology 2014; 19:122-131.
39.Ahrens B, Gruber C, Rha RD, Freund T, Quarcoo D, Awagyan A, et al. BCG priming of dendritic cells enhances T regulatory and Th1 function and suppresses allergen-induced Th2 function in vitro and in vivo. Int Arch Allergy Immunol 2009; 150:210-220.
40. Yao B, Li M, Pang Y. [Effect of Mycobacterium phlei F.U.36 on balance of CD4(+)CD25(+) regulatory T cells and Th17 cells in asthmatic mice]. Zhongguo Dang Dai Er Ke Za Zhi = Chinese J Contemporary Pediatr 2013; 15:1018-1022.
41.Xia Y, Zhang JH, Ji ZH, Li XD, Yu ZW, Liu HY. [Effect of bacillus calmette-guerin treatment on airway inflammation and T regulatory cells in mice with asthma]. Zhongguo Dang Dai Er Ke Za Zhi = Chinese J Contemporary Pediatr 2006; 8:413-416.
42.Deng Y, Chen W, Zang N, Li S, Luo Y, Ni K, et al. The antiasthma effect of neonatal BCG vaccination does not depend on the Th17/Th1 but IL-17/IFN-gamma balance in a BALB/c mouse asthma model. J Clin Immunol 2011; 31:419-429.
43.O'Callaghan C, Barry PW. The science of nebulised drug delivery. Thorax 1997; 52:S31-44.
44.Melani AS. Inhalatory therapy training: a priority challenge for the physician. Acta Biomed 2007; 78:233-245.
45.Torchilin VP. Drug targeting. Eur J Pharm Sci 2000; 1:S81-91.
46.Hansel TT, Johnston SL, Openshaw PJ. Microbes and mucosal immune responses in asthma. Lancet 2013; 381:861-873.