1. Purohit V, Gao B, Song BJ. Molecular mechanisms of alcoholic fatty liver. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 2009; 33:191-205.
2. Wang Z, Yao T, Song Z. Chronic alcohol consumption disrupted cholesterol homeostasis in rats: Down-regulation of low-density lipoprotein receptor and enhancement of cholesterol biosynthesis pathway in the liver. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 2010; 34:471-478.
3. van Rooy MJ, Pretorius E. Obesity, hypertension and hypercholesterolemia as risk factors for atherosclerosis leading to ischemic events. Curr Med Chem 2014; 21:2121-2129.
4. Boyle M, Masson S, Anstee QM. The bidirectional impacts of alcohol consumption and the metabolic syndrome: Cofactors for progressive fatty liver disease. J Hepatol 2018; 68:251-267.
5. Lopes PC, Fuhrmann A, Sereno J, Espinoza DO, Pereira MJ, Eriksson JW, et al. Short and long term in vivo effects of cyclosporine A and sirolimus on genes and proteins involved in lipid metabolism in Wistar rats. Metabolism 2014; 63:702-715.
6. Chiu CY, Chan IL, Yang TH, Liu SH, Chiang MT. Supplementation of chitosan alleviates high-fat diet-enhanced lipogenesis in rats via adenosine monophosphate (AMP)-activated protein kinase activation and inhibition of lipogenesis-associated genes. J Agric Food Chem 2015; 63:2979-2988.
7. Araújo Júnior RF, Garcia VB, Leitão RF, Brito GA, Miguel Ede C, Guedes PM, et al. Carvedilol improves inflammatory response, oxidative stress and fibrosis in the alcohol-induced liver injury in rats by regulating kuppfer cells and hepatic stellate cells. PLoS One 2016; 11: e0148868.
8. Hasanein P, Seifi R. Beneficial effects of rosmarinic acid against alcohol-induced hepatotoxicity in rats. Can J Physiol Pharmacol 2018; 96:32-37.
9. Mehta AJ, Guidot DM. Alcohol abuse, the alveolar macrophage and pneumonia. Am J Med Sci 2012; 343:244-247.
10. Eid N, Ito Y, Otsuki Y. Ethanol-induced hepatic autophagy: Friend or foe? World J Hepatol 2015; 7:1154-1156.
11. Yan SL, Yin MC. Protective and alleviative effects from four cysteine-containing compounds on ethanol-induced acute liver injury through suppression of oxidation and inflammation. J Food Sci 2007; 72:511-515.
12. Lin CC, Yin MC. Effects of cysteine-containing compounds on biosynthesis of triacylglycerol and cholesterol and anti-oxidative protection in liver from mice consuming a high-fat diet. Br J Nutr 2008; 99:37-43.
13. Lin WL, Hsieh YJ, Chou FP, Wang CJ, Cheng MT, Tseng TH. Hibiscus protocatechuic acid inhibits lipopolysaccharide-induced rat hepatic damage. Arch Toxicol 2003; 77:42-47.
14. Yüksel M, Yıldar M, Başbuğ M, Çavdar F, Çıkman Ö, Akşit H, et al. Does protocatechuic acid, a natural anti-oxidant, reduce renal ischemia reperfusion injury in rats? Ulus Travma Acil Cerrahi Derg 2017; 23:1-6.
15. Liu WH, Lin CC. Wang ZH, Mong MC, Yin MC. Effects of protocatechuic acid on trans fat induced hepatic steatosis in mice. J Agric Food Chem 2010; 58:10247-10252.
16. Radhiga T, Sundaresan A, Viswanathan P, Pugalendi KV. Effect of protocatechuic acid on lipid profile and DNA damage in D-galactosamine-induced hepatotoxic rats. J Basic Clin Physiol Pharmacol 2016; 27:505-514.
17. Farombi EO, Adedara IA, Awoyemi OV, Njoku CR, Micah GO, Esogwa CU, et al. Dietary protocatechuic acid ameliorates dextran sulphate sodium-induced ulcerative colitis and hepatotoxicity in rats. Food Funct 2016; 7:913-921.
18. Kumral A, Giriş M, Soluk-Tekkeşin M, Olgaç V, Doğru-Abbasoğlu S, Türkoğlu Ü, et al. Beneficial effects of carnosine and carnosine plus vitamin E treatments on doxorubicin-induced oxidative stress and cardiac, hepatic, and renal toxicity in rats. Hum Exper Toxicol 2016; 35:635-643.
19. Chou IC, Mong MC, Lin CL, Yin MC. Greater protective potent of s-methyl cysteine and syringic acid combination for NGF-differentiated PC12 cells against kainic acid-induced injury. Int J Med Sci 2019; 16:1180-1187.
20. Motamedi Z, Amini SA, Raeisi E, Lemoigne Y, Heidarian E. Combined effects of protocatechuic acid and 5-fluorouracil on p53 gene expression and apoptosis in gastric adenocarcinoma cells. Turk J Pharm Sci 2020; 17:578-585.
21. Ren H, Wang D, Zhang L, Kang X, Li Y, Zhou X, et al. Catalpol induces autophagy and attenuates liver steatosis in ob/ob and high-fat diet-induced obese mice. Aging (Albany NY) 2019; 11:9461-9477.
22. da Silva-Santi LG, Antunes MM, Caparroz-Assef SM, Carbonera F, Masi LN, Curi R, et al. Liver fatty acid composition and inflammation in mice fed with high-carbohydrate diet or high-fat diet. Nutrients 2016; 2008:135625.
23. Wong T, Dang K, Ladhani S, Singal AK, Wong RJ. Prevalence of alcoholic fatty liver disease among adults in the United States, 2001-2016. JAMA 2019; 321:1723-1725.
24. Saito S, Kawabata J. Synergistic effects of thiols and amines on antiradical efficiency of protocatechuic acid. J Agric Food Chem 2014; 52: 8163-8168.
25. Lieber CS. Alcoholic fatty liver: its pathogenesis and mechanism of progression to inflammation and fibrosis. Alcohol 2004; 34:9-19.
26. Gu J, Zhang Y, Xu D, Zhao Z, Zhang Y, Pan Y, et al. Ethanol-induced hepatic steatosis is modulated by glycogen level in the liver. J Lipid Res 2015; 56:1329-1339.
27. Nan YM, Wang RQ, Fu N. Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor alpha, a potential therapeutic target for alcoholic liver disease. World J Gastroenterol 2014; 20:8055-8060.
28. Gebhardt R. Metabolic zonation of the liver regulation and implications for liver function. Pharmacol Ther 1992; 53:275-354.
29. Braeuning A, Ittrich C, Köhle C, Hailfinger S, Bonin M, Buchmann A, et al. Differential gene expression in periportal and perivenous mouse hepatocytes. FEBS J 2006; 273:5051-5061.
30. Louvet A, Mathurin P. Alcoholic liver disease: mechanisms of injury and targeted treatment. Nat Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol 2015; 12:231-242.
31. Sim WC, Yin HQ, Choi HS, Choi YJ, Kwak HC, Kim SK, et al. L-serine supplementation attenuates alcoholic fatty liver by enhancing homocysteine metabolism in mice and rats. J Nutr 2015;145:260-267.
32. Thomas S, Senthilkumar GP, Sivaraman K, Bobby Z, Paneerselvam S, Harichandrakumar KT. Effect of s-methyl-L-cysteine on oxidative stress, inflammation and insulin resistance in male wistar rats fed with high fructose diet. Iran J Med Sci 2015; 40:45-50.
33. Safaeian L, Hajhashemi V, Haghjoo Javanmard S, Sanaye Naderi H. The effect of protocatechuic acid on blood pressure and oxidative stress in glucocorticoid-induced hypertension in rat. Iran J Pharm Res 2016; 15:83-91.
34. Albano E. Free radical mechanisms in immune reactions associated with alcoholic liver disease. Free Radical Biol Med 2002; 32:110-114.
35. Guo R, Xu X, Babcock SA, Zhang Y, Ren J. Aldehyde dedydrogenase-2 plays a beneficial role in ameliorating chronic alcohol-induced hepatic steatosis and inflammation through regulation of autophagy. J Hepatol 2015; 62:647-656.
36. Wang D, Gao Q, Wang T, Zhao G, Qian F, Huang J, et al. Green tea infusion protects against alcoholic liver injury by attenuating inflammation and regulating the PI3K/Akt/eNOS pathway in C57BL/6 mice. Food Funct 2017; 8:3165-3177.
37. Lee HP, Wu YC, Chen BC, Liu SC, Li TM, Huang WC, et al. Soya-cerebroside reduces interleukin production in human rheumatoid arthritis synovial fibroblasts by inhibiting the ERK, NF-kappa B and AP-1 signalling pathways. Food Agric Immunol 2020; 31:740-750.
38. Klebanoff SJ. Myeloperoxidase: friend and foe. J Leukoc Biol 2005; 77:598-625.
39. Loria V, Dato I, Graziani F, Biasucci L. Myeloperoxidase: A new biomarker of inflammation in ischemic heart disease and acute coronary syndromes. Mediat Inflamm 2008; 8:682.
40. Rezaee-Khorasany A, Razavi BM, Taghiabadi E, Tabatabaei Yazdi A, Hosseinzadeh H. Effect of crocin, an active saffron constituent, on ethanol toxicity in the rat: histopathological and biochemical studies. Iran J Basic Med Sci 2020; 23:51-62.
41. Hosseini SM, Taghiabadi E, Abnous K, Hariri AT, Pourbakhsh H, Hosseinzadeh H. Protective effect of thymoquinone, the active constituent of Nigella sativa fixed oil, against ethanol toxicity in rats. Iran J Basic Med Sci 2017; 20:927-939.